Author Topic: Word of Blake: Gone for Good?  (Read 12872 times)

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
Word of Blake: Gone for Good?
« on: 27 January 2011, 21:13:33 »
Is the WoB gone for good during the Dark Age era? A faction was featured in Bonfire of Worlds, but are there still others out there?
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Word of Blake: Gone for Good?
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2011, 21:15:17 »
Doubtful, they didn't even find all the hidden worlds I believe so its almost a given there would be some wobbies still running around.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 21:15:47 »
"Gone for good" is something BattleTech hasn't shown itself to handle particularly well.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 21:16:25 »
Even Amaris came back once.  ;D

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2011, 21:22:09 »
Total destruction is a minor set back!

Seriously, no one is ever gine for good. One of the DA novels (I want to say Sword of Sedition...or maybe Targets of Opportunity, but I don't even remember if they ARE DA titles) basically had ComStar acting rather WoBish again at the end (secret army, 'peace of Blake be with you' being said...)

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2011, 21:24:05 »
Supporters of Blake's Word do survive into the Dark Age in their original hippy, pro-peace, toaster-worshipping forms. There were, after all, bajillions of them in the Inner Sphere. You can wipe out the militant arm, but the ideology won't go away.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 21:24:38 »
Very doubtful.  There is still no solid confirmation on who started the grey out that cut of HPGs it so many worlds.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 21:31:40 »
I thought so; with thousands of planets in the Inner Sphere as well as Periphery, it would not be hard to find somewhere to hide and rebuild.

And the chaos of the Inner Sphere does provide opportunity

Think that is what Stone is doing, hunting Blakests?
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2011, 22:14:51 »
I thought so; with thousands of planets in the Inner Sphere as well as Periphery, it would not be hard to find somewhere to hide and rebuild.

And the chaos of the Inner Sphere does provide opportunity

Think that is what Stone is doing, hunting Blakests?

Stone is a Blakist.  }:)

They are still around by the timeline of Bonfire of Worlds.  They're just back in their ComStar mode. [notworthy]

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Traecer Revenant

• Master Sergeant
  • Speak softly & Carry a Large Gauss Rifle
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2011, 22:21:17 »
Even Amaris came back once.  ;D
No!  That did not happen!  No No No!  [metalhealth]

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2011, 22:28:23 »
Well at least when Devlin 'the Protege' Stone returns it will be with his cybernetic implants fully revealed, leading an army of Wolverine descendants who'd been holed up in their hyperspace bases since 3079.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2011, 22:31:49 »
No!  That did not happen!  No No No!  [metalhealth]

OK, it didn't happen. But it did.  ;D

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2011, 22:42:19 »
Well at least when Devlin 'the Protege' Stone returns it will be with his cybernetic implants fully revealed, leading an army of Wolverine descendants who'd been holed up in their hyperspace bases since 3079.

That's not as crazy as it sounds (well, except for the wolverine hyperspace base thing). Remember there are/were lots of factions in WoB. What if Stone represents a more moderate faction and has thus succeeded in preserving/legitamising the Protectorate.

Traecer Revenant

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2011, 22:51:13 »
OK, it didn't happen. But it did.  ;D
Shh!  I am happy here in my cocoon of denial.  Do not break open the cocoon! 

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2011, 22:53:07 »
What so Stone's off fighting a Covert Wobblie Civil War on the remaining "Hidden Five" and the undiscovered Arimais Coup Supply Worlds out beyond the Periphery.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2011, 23:00:26 »
That sound slightly more probably than the usual fable that the Wolverines are off protecting the Inner Sphere from an alien invasion.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2011, 23:15:45 »
That sound slightly more probably than the usual fable that the Wolverines are off protecting the Inner Sphere from an alien invasion.

Be careful... with brand-new Blakist behavior-control technology, Stone will return with the aliens on his side.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2011, 23:17:03 »
Well at least when Devlin 'the Protege' Stone

We know who The Protege is- Arthur Steiner-Davion.

We also know that Arthur is not Devlin Stone.

So that would take some doing :P
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2011, 23:22:46 »
OK. here is my theory. The whole Jihad was a ruse to cause the need for a leader to rise up AKA Devlin Stone. He is a Wobbie and doesn't know it. Think about it he reforms the terran confederacy (cough republic cough) right under the noses of the houses, in fact with their blessing only to dissappear and then when chaos hits the Republic cuts itself of from the rest of the inner sphere. I'm telling you. The whole Jihad/Republic was a old school Comstar scheme from the start. 

Gunbuster

• Private
  • The paws of the cat
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2011, 06:07:10 »
As a MW:Dark Age/ Age of Darkness player, my understanding from reading the novels is that Devlin Stone is probably Clan, based on my reading of Blood Avatar, but who knows?
The soft, cuddly clan with sharp kitten claws

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2011, 06:15:41 »
If they were gone for good,,,who would we all hate?Drac's,,,Marians?Hell,,,how bout' them Hippie Jarnfolk(who started off as Deadheads in the 21st Centruy)as it is,out of the 7 other guys I game with,,,not one "likes" Stone in any way.He might as well been a minor charecter for all it matters.
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2011, 07:36:29 »

The "protecting the Inner Sphere from an alien invasion" comment about the Wolverines was a joke and nothing more.

If they were gone for good,,,who would we all hate?Drac's,,,Marians?Hell,,,how bout' them Hippie Jarnfolk(who started off as Deadheads in the 21st Centruy)as it is,out of the 7 other guys I game with,,,not one "likes" Stone in any way.He might as well been a minor charecter for all it matters.

When did the "Space Viking" Jarnfolk with a rumored talent for assassination turn into hippies?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #22 on: 28 January 2011, 07:45:57 »

We also know that Arthur is not Devlin Stone.

So that would take some doing :P
I'm not saying you're mistaken, but how do we know those things? Last I heard just about everything about ASD, the protege, and Stone was pretty fuzzy.  Hell, has ASD been mentioned anywhere at all since the end of Patriots and Tyrants?

Again, more curious than accusatory.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 28 January 2011, 09:38:23 »
In older books, Word of Blake was major religion large swath of worlds.  I remember the now-non canon BT Technology magazines showing percentages of how much any given planet had for reglions.  Which include Blakist.

I don't think that exists now, but it makes you wonder what happened to them. I don't remember reading more recent sourcebook that mentioned that.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Traecer Revenant

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 28 January 2011, 09:48:10 »
As a MW:Dark Age/ Age of Darkness player, my understanding from reading the novels is that Devlin Stone is probably Clan, based on my reading of Blood Avatar, but who knows?
Oh, Devlin Stone a brainwashed Clanner...actually, that sounds interesting...also explains reports of David Lear having to keep watch over him (make sure the original Clan psyche doesn't break through).

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #25 on: 28 January 2011, 09:57:00 »
We don't know even that for sure. We know that the Protege is - possibly - Precentor Lucifer. And Lucifer is - possibly - either Arthur Steiner-Davion or Precentor Ravana.

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

Thoth

• Corporal
« Reply #26 on: 28 January 2011, 10:24:41 »
I am sure there are a few still kicking around.

It's always hard to get rid of fanatics entirely. They are like a bad disease.

Star Colonel Thoth Kerensky, Clan Wolf

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 28 January 2011, 10:26:35 »
They will show up again, never as strong, but they are out there, lurking in the shadows.
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #28 on: 28 January 2011, 13:39:51 »
When did the "Space Viking" Jarnfolk with a rumored talent for assassination turn into hippies?
After enough tankards of mead (the preferred Viking brew), everyone becomes a hippie.  ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 28 January 2011, 22:08:35 »
We don't know even that for sure. We know that the Protege is - possibly - Precentor Lucifer. And Lucifer is - possibly - either Arthur Steiner-Davion or Precentor Ravana.

That makes sense, 1st Arch Angel to the Masters God...