Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 173552 times)

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Coming July 17!
« Reply #1080 on: 18 July 2019, 02:51:01 »
So we are currently at 59 new Mechs and 1 Battle Armour (not including the 9 from the Beginners and AGoAC box sets) in around 12 hours...with another 30 days and 12 hours to go, will we see ALL of the Mechs from the TRO SW and CI??? I find it hard to believe, but imagine if we did see all the Mechs from those two TRO re-sculpted and in high quality plastic!!! That would also mean that we could see new TRO's with full colour modern artwork as well, eventually :)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1081 on: 18 July 2019, 02:52:06 »
Hmm... If we can do one of the houses for the faction kit I can expand on my Davion merch from the HBS BattleTech KS lol Then I can have a jacket, hat, t-shirt, etc...

AmBeth

• Corporal
« Reply #1082 on: 18 July 2019, 03:04:40 »
So I've never backed a kickstarter before, and have a question/conundrum...

I'd like all the fiction etc stretch goals, which means I need to back at Star Commander (not a problem btw). However I don't want a Clan Invasion boxed set as I don't have the time or space to give the mechs etc the treatment they deserve, I would be much happier with the Begginer's Box set and the random mech from the Ristar pledge level.

Is there any way to acheive this?

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1083 on: 18 July 2019, 03:05:41 »
Haven't backed yet. Still doing maths.

Expansion box plus 10 packs, that's a lot of things. 30/30 mechs. Looking over, it looks like I'd get doubles for about 6 packs, so I probably should pick a level that serves what I want and then add on the rest. Should also leave some out so that I can support my FLGS in the future.

To be honest, this is the kind of Kickstarter that triggers warning signs. Beyond a certain point, Kickstarters that grew too big tends to run into fulfilment problems. It's not just a skillset problem, it's just physical -- half a mil of plastic Mechs is still half a mil of plastic Mechs to sort, package and correctly deliver.

I'm sure CGL is aware and is lining up the relevant, I just want to set expectations -- earliest delivery is March 2020, for base box + two of the packs. Given how many things are here, I'm thinking.. end 2020? for total fulfilment. Nothing wrong with that, is just that backers should be aware and set expectations accordingly.

They've said the the box set is set for March 2020 while the lance and star packs will be fulfilled after that.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1084 on: 18 July 2019, 03:21:27 »
Haven't backed yet. Still doing maths.

Expansion box plus 10 packs, that's a lot of things. 30/30 mechs. Looking over, it looks like I'd get doubles for about 6 packs, so I probably should pick a level that serves what I want and then add on the rest. Should also leave some out so that I can support my FLGS in the future.

To be honest, this is the kind of Kickstarter that triggers warning signs. Beyond a certain point, Kickstarters that grew too big tends to run into fulfilment problems. It's not just a skillset problem, it's just physical -- half a mil of plastic Mechs is still half a mil of plastic Mechs to sort, package and correctly deliver.

I'm sure CGL is aware and is lining up the relevant, I just want to set expectations -- earliest delivery is March 2020, for base box + two of the packs. Given how many things are here, I'm thinking.. end 2020? for total fulfilment. Nothing wrong with that, is just that backers should be aware and set expectations accordingly.
Someone posted a google spreadsheet over on r/battletech with the math already done for you.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #1085 on: 18 July 2019, 03:25:20 »
So I've never backed a kickstarter before, and have a question/conundrum...

I'd like all the fiction etc stretch goals, which means I need to back at Star Commander (not a problem btw). However I don't want a Clan Invasion boxed set as I don't have the time or space to give the mechs etc the treatment they deserve, I would be much happier with the Begginer's Box set and the random mech from the Ristar pledge level.

Is there any way to acheive this?

Pledge Ristar, then "Manage Your pledge" to add funds to cover the add-ons you want.  When the kickstarter ends, you should get an email for a pledge manager to let you select your add ons.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #1086 on: 18 July 2019, 03:28:31 »
And As I go to bed, the total is close to $520K..... Let's see if there's another addition or two to the goods in the morning......

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1087 on: 18 July 2019, 03:48:56 »
Ooohh! New stretch goal with Whammy IIC, Mad IIC, Hunchie IIC, Supernova and a Kodiak.

Nice!

BYE

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1088 on: 18 July 2019, 04:06:20 »
And Longbow on the map at $600K! Very achievable.

Kicktraq sees us tapping out at over $14,000,000 USD. I think it's a tad ... **** actually. But we're doing good.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1089 on: 18 July 2019, 04:11:40 »
And Longbow on the map at $600K! Very achievable.

Kicktraq sees us tapping out at over $14,000,000 USD. I think it's a tad ... **** actually. But we're doing good.

Kicktraq always over-estimate based on the first few days. Things will die down much more the next week or so. Then the final 3 days of the Kickstarter will see a major push again.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1090 on: 18 July 2019, 04:19:59 »
The new IS Lance is probably the first Lance or Star to actually make sense this entire project.

Question: Are the extra forces included in the Orbital Drop Stretch Goal affected by the Double Forces feature of several Reward Tiers?

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #1091 on: 18 July 2019, 04:22:06 »
Also something interesting to consider:  Gen Con falls right in the midst of this.  Now it's quite possible that there are Battletech fans out there who haven't heard about this KS, or people who with the new AGoAC boxed sets are going to get back into the game or try it out new.

There could well be a surge of new backers at/post Gen Con.  I will be demoing in the Catalyst booth three of the four days of GC, so I hope to get at least a feel for what the excitement/interest level is pushed to by this, and how many people who are interested in the game haven't either heard of it or chosen to back until they see some of this stuff live.  I get the feeling we working the booth might be "promoting" it a little...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1092 on: 18 July 2019, 04:29:33 »
oh my lord at this add-on:

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1093 on: 18 July 2019, 04:29:53 »
Kicktraq does that on every Kickstarter as it bases its average on whatever has been pledged so far. So far we've pledged over $500k in a day, so it assumes that we'll maintain that pace throughout.

We won't. Even the most successful boardgame kickstarters have the 25-day slump where nothing happens for most of the campaign. As others have said, we have to wait for the last 3 or so days for things to get interesting.

BYE

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1094 on: 18 July 2019, 04:37:29 »
Also something interesting to consider:  Gen Con falls right in the midst of this.  Now it's quite possible that there are Battletech fans out there who haven't heard about this KS, or people who with the new AGoAC boxed sets are going to get back into the game or try it out new.

There could well be a surge of new backers at/post Gen Con.  I will be demoing in the Catalyst booth three of the four days of GC, so I hope to get at least a feel for what the excitement/interest level is pushed to by this, and how many people who are interested in the game haven't either heard of it or chosen to back until they see some of this stuff live.  I get the feeling we working the booth might be "promoting" it a little...

Yeah, that's a good point mate. No doubt from a convention of that size, you will get many interested parties, who will follow their interest up by investigating the Kickstarter if they are made aware of it (big sign at the demo table?). First impressions are critical with things like this...especially so for people who are interested but don't actually get a demo game in, the ones that stand around and have a good look, or walk by and their eyes are drawn to what is going on...lots of cool looking artwork with missiles, lasers, PPC's and empty shells spewing out of canons and lots of explosions and battle damaged Mechs, along with cool painted mini's will ensure they check out the kickstarter in their own time after the convention...that's what would work on me anyway...

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1095 on: 18 July 2019, 04:39:27 »
Question: Are the extra forces included in the Orbital Drop Stretch Goal affected by the Double Forces feature of several Reward Tiers?

Obviously I'm not privy to that information, but I would be extremely surprised if they did count towards the Double Forces...those Orbital Stretch Goals are a stand-a-lone freebie, I reckon with 99% confidence...

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1096 on: 18 July 2019, 04:44:41 »
Yeah, that's a good point mate. No doubt from a convention of that size, you will get many interested parties, who will follow their interest up by investigating the Kickstarter if they are made aware of it (big sign at the demo table?). First impressions are critical with things like this...especially so for people who are interested but don't actually get a demo game in, the ones that stand around and have a good look, or walk by and their eyes are drawn to what is going on...lots of cool looking artwork with missiles, lasers, PPC's and empty shells spewing out of canons and lots of explosions and battle damaged Mechs, along with cool painted mini's will ensure they check out the kickstarter in their own time after the convention...that's what would work on me anyway...

heh, demo "table"...

You ever seen a picture of the Gen Con booth?

Half a dozen demo tables, a Giant-scale game on a section of floor (this year, Giant BattleTech!) a big sales area, display cases to show stuff off, giant standing banner signs that reach up towards the ceiling.  You think they aren't going to have signs all over promoting the heck out of the KS?  Heck I'd be surprised if there won't be a flyer or a card or something dropped in every bag of everything they sell.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1097 on: 18 July 2019, 04:49:10 »
The real number you want to see in a Kickstarter, is the backer number...the higher that is, the more you will collect in the last 48 hour dash. A lot of people pledge a small amount and wait to see what is included in the way of freebies and/or stretch goals right towards the end and then make the final decision on how much to fork out and what items they will fork out for...if there are 3000 backers and they all spend an extra $20 in the final 48 hours, that is less than 6000 backers spending $20 each in the last 48 hours...and quite a lot of people will just hit the "Remind Me" button, which sends an automated reminder email out 48 hours prior to the end of the Kickstarter, and these people then come and check it out and decide whether or not to spend...also, CGL will pick up a lot of money that we won't know about AFTER the Kickstarter ends, because when the Pledge Manager comes out, it will give you the capacity to spend even more money, and people do. Obviously, spending money after the Kickstarter ends doesn't help reach stretch goals, though.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1098 on: 18 July 2019, 04:51:07 »
heh, demo "table"...

You ever seen a picture of the Gen Con booth?

Half a dozen demo tables, a Giant-scale game on a section of floor (this year, Giant BattleTech!) a big sales area, display cases to show stuff off, giant standing banner signs that reach up towards the ceiling.  You think they aren't going to have signs all over promoting the heck out of the KS?  Heck I'd be surprised if there won't be a flyer or a card or something dropped in every bag of everything they sell.

That's awesome...makes me wish it was an easy thing to fly to the US to check out such a huge set-up at the convention :)

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1099 on: 18 July 2019, 04:53:03 »
Heck I'd be surprised if there won't be a flyer or a card or something dropped in every bag of everything they sell.
You might even say that they timed the KS to occur right around GenCon on purpose! ;)

BYE

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1100 on: 18 July 2019, 05:03:40 »
That's awesome...makes me wish it was an easy thing to fly to the US to check out such a huge set-up at the convention :)

And that's not including the section in the tabletop gaming area that's pretty much all BattleTech  (Shadowrun has its own space elsewhere).

I would bet KS signage and promotion will be well represented there as well

-- William S. Burroughs

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #1101 on: 18 July 2019, 05:11:24 »
I am pretty impressed by the response thus far and all the cool stretch goals already achieved. Loving the fact that the Homeworld Clans will get some coverage and I wonder if we will get more. There are a ton of possibilities for detailing this era I'd love to see.

AmBeth

• Corporal
« Reply #1102 on: 18 July 2019, 05:41:51 »
Pledge Ristar, then "Manage Your pledge" to add funds to cover the add-ons you want.  When the kickstarter ends, you should get an email for a pledge manager to let you select your add ons.

This would be fine but some of the fiction is stated to be only available to Star Commander pledge and above, and not as an add on...decisions, decisions  :D

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1103 on: 18 July 2019, 05:57:44 »
Cubby, after you've had your morning coffee, a question: Are the additional Star/Lance Packs included in the Orbital Drop ($500,001) stretch goal for Star Colonel and higher are doubled under "doubled forces"?  (I suspect they're not but I wanted to confirm for planning's sake.)

Lynx

• Corporal
« Reply #1104 on: 18 July 2019, 06:41:23 »
So, a couple of things I forgot before: First of all KickStarter is a bit of a dick if you aren't in the US, stretch goals and the funding goal are always listed in USD, but as I'm in Aus for some reason the running total is listed in AUD.
Just for clarity, stretch goals costing is usually done by the Creator, not KS; Since a lot of these projects are based in the US, they tend to be in USD. I've seen stretch goals in CDN, Euro, some weird currency.. not C-bills yet though.

As for the running total, that's on Kickstarter; the site detects your region (probably through your profile) and converts to the region's currency. It's useful to some degree, but the stretch goal issue... yeah, I get that.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1105 on: 18 July 2019, 06:42:35 »
If you scroll down to the very bottom of the campaign page, you can select the currency the ticker is displayed in.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Lynx

• Corporal
« Reply #1106 on: 18 July 2019, 06:51:21 »
If you scroll down to the very bottom of the campaign page, you can select the currency the ticker is displayed in.
Hmm. Never saw that. C-Bills is however, still not an option...  ;D

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1107 on: 18 July 2019, 06:57:26 »
 :beer: :beer: :beer: OK. Guys what kind of beer are you drinking . Maybe send a case to you guys over there in Washington State . Well just got up got my coffee. I just spend about 20 minutes looking at the KS. July 18 2019 7:10 am ET 2835 backer and $541,548.00 as then it may change some more. Its not a full 24 hours yet and got this far WOW. Well I'm happy so far I see the Warhammer is unlock and maybe my beloved Hatchetman is at $600,000.00.  Later

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1108 on: 18 July 2019, 07:06:17 »
I am still flabbergasted by the phenomenal success of the kickstarter.  The new minis are the most exciting thing to happen since I've been involved with BattleTech. (and by that, I mean 1988!!!)

Congrats CGL on this kickstarter.  Now go 'kick' some ass!

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1109 on: 18 July 2019, 07:35:23 »
Once that Limited editionhardback of Mechwarrior Legends is reached, I'm adding it as fast as I can to my spreadsheet (yes, I need one to get an overview of all the stuff we're getting)