Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 146904 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #60 on: 29 July 2016, 12:24:56 »
I've been enjoying of The Iron Teeth: A Goblin's Tale. It's a web serialization available on Royal Road Legends. Fantasy story where main character is a goblin. Quite interesting read. Or at least different.

We got to see them in Enterprise series though.
In Enterprise we also see Romulan ships using cloaking devices. Doesn't really match with what is said in TOS episode Balance of Terror (Best TOS Episode Ever).
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #61 on: 29 July 2016, 13:19:41 »
In Enterprise we also see Romulan ships using cloaking devices. Doesn't really match with what is said in TOS episode Balance of Terror (Best TOS Episode Ever).
They agreed with you that it was a mistake; see quote below
Several staff writers on Star Trek: Enterprise – among them Producer Mike Sussman – believed that 22nd century Romulan ships should not have been equipped with cloaking devices, in keeping with "Balance of Terror". Season Four showrunner and Co-Executive Producer Manny Coto decided that Romulan ships would not have cloaks in any subsequent encounters.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #62 on: 29 July 2016, 17:38:09 »
Rereading Lord Hornblower.  8)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 29 July 2016, 19:10:04 »
Haven't read that in nearly 30 years.  Good on you.

I just finished Bloodlines and Aftermath: Life Debt

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #64 on: 31 July 2016, 09:12:30 »
from old trek paperbacks only 3 i enjoyed were how much for just a planet uhuras song and strangers from the sky

Personally, I think my favorites in the old Trek books were Chain of Attack and its sequel The Final Nexus...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #65 on: 31 July 2016, 19:57:39 »
Personally, I think my favorites in the old Trek books were Chain of Attack and its sequel The Final Nexus...

Ruger

Mine are The Final Reflection, How Much for Just the Planet, and Spock, Messiah!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 31 July 2016, 20:30:07 »
Mine are The Final Reflection, How Much for Just the Planet, and Spock, Messiah!
lol if they get the guts to do adaptation of how much for just a planet i will definetly watch it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #67 on: 31 July 2016, 21:39:32 »
lol if they get the guts to do adaptation of how much for just a planet i will definetly watch it

"Somebody give your Captain a pie!"

or maybe even better

"3rd Hole. Par 4. Bunker left, minefield right."

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 01 August 2016, 11:46:19 »
"Somebody give your Captain a pie!"

or maybe even better

"3rd Hole. Par 4. Bunker left, minefield right."
i was partial to falling apart again...
and the slave revolt uprising
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 01 August 2016, 12:15:44 »
Well as a confessed complete Pothead I bought and read The Cursed Child the moment it came out in stores, finished today. I can imagine the play must be great. As a book though it is too compact for the timeframe of the plot - in the original Harry Potters elements in the 1st few books paid off several books and hundreds of pages later. Nonetheless it is pretty good, the characterisation of Scorpius was a pleasant surprise though I must say Albus Potter was indeed whiny, I get the distinct feeling he only had himself to blame for much of the issues in the book.

Not as enjoyable as Goblet of Fire or Order of the Phoenix, but better than Chamber of Secrets though there are thematic similarities with Chamber and Half-Blood Prince.

Other than the very cool beginning, possibly my least favourite Hornblower. Though not my favourite, I have a soft spot for West Indies, its the first Hornblower I read.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #70 on: 01 August 2016, 17:52:29 »
Hornblower and the Hotspur is by far my favorite, though I might chalk that up to my current rank.  If you're referencing the West Indies, I think you mean Admiral Hornblower in the West IndiesLord Hornblower took place in Europe.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #71 on: 02 August 2016, 22:33:50 »
Not as enjoyable as Goblet of Fire or Order of the Phoenix, but better than Chamber of Secrets.

Not surprising, Goblet and Order are two of the best novels in the series, while Chamber was probably the worst.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #72 on: 03 August 2016, 09:22:14 »
Would Hornblower TV-series be worth of buy?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 03 August 2016, 11:21:04 »
if you like it its worth it...
i am still hunting down vhs and dvd versions of zorro from 1956 disneys series

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #74 on: 03 August 2016, 12:03:22 »
if you like it its worth it...
i am still hunting down vhs and dvd versions of zorro from 1956 disneys series
Oh? The black and white show? I loved that show!
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #75 on: 03 August 2016, 13:35:21 »
Yes. I've got it. It's a decently faithful filming of Mr. Midshipman Hornblower, Lieutenant Hornblower, and good enough of Hornblower and the Hotspur.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 03 August 2016, 22:44:26 »
Oh? The black and white show? I loved that show!
i got so far 1 through 39

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 17 August 2016, 20:37:29 »
Re-reading the Mobile Suit Gundam omnibus (Awakening, Escalation, & Confrontation) by Yoshiyuki Tomino.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #78 on: 17 August 2016, 21:27:41 »

Yes. It is an excellent series. I was hoping they would make more, but the series was cancelled.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 18 August 2016, 12:57:08 »
I've started the 'Horseclans' series of novel by Robert Adams. I wish the series could have been finished.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 19 August 2016, 12:13:32 »
ok looks like navigators of dune by brain herbert and kevin j anderson are coming out next month
cant wait to see what happens after gilbertus albans  death ...and what led the navigators guild to be what it is...

still not too fond of the prequels and sequels still its fun to revisit dune universe now and then...

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #81 on: 19 August 2016, 12:28:21 »
I'm currently juggling:

The Norman Conquest: The Battle of Hastings and the Fall of Anglo-Saxon England by Marc Morris.

Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich.

Foods of the World series by Time Life, circa 1968.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 19 August 2016, 12:42:00 »
ok looks like navigators of dune by brain herbert and kevin j anderson are coming out next month
cant wait to see what happens after gilbertus albans  death ...and what led the navigators guild to be what it is...

still not too fond of the prequels and sequels still its fun to revisit dune universe now and then...
The Herbert part of Dune died a long time ago. Whats left IMHO is fanfiction by Kevin J Anderson complete with all the flashy action bits not found in the original three.

Trying to get into cyberpunk, so I am beginning Neuromancer.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #83 on: 24 August 2016, 22:27:26 »
I started a bit out of order, but I just finished Changeling (Kubasik), and just before that was Never Trust An Elf (Charrette).  Now I'm on 2XS.  It's always nice to get back to a Findley book.  I decided to get through the series again.  It's been too long since I read most of them.  I read all of the older books, have all of the sourcebooks (1st-3rd eds), and never got to play the game.   :(

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #84 on: 26 August 2016, 23:18:44 »
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Bryan- not bad, but not great either. Middling but entertaining.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #85 on: 27 August 2016, 06:22:57 »
Dance of Demons by Gary Gygax the last part of Gord the Rogue series.

First read for me, only part the series I've read (i didn't realize there was one, this was random book i picked up.)
Written in old fashion way, i enjoy the book immensely. This is a fantasy based in the old Grayhawk RPG universe but this felt like was constrained by tight rules that comes with RPG, but was meant to tell a tale of Gord, man who would become more than he started off to be. 

Some may find this corny incomparison to other works in genre, but i tend like the old fashion (perhaps corny) was he told his story how Gord became Champion of Balance, that Gord and his companions were ultimately going save the multi-universes.   This last bit may throw people off, but it does work and doesn't feel like it's ubsurb for the setting.   Its not quite predictable as you would think.  Gary really was a good writer and story teller.  I'm glad I found it.

If your a fan of old RPG, this book and other the series i would highly recommend if you can find them. Thou i don't have e-read, i'd say read from the beginning of the series!  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 27 August 2016, 22:52:28 »
Lullaby Book 7 of the Ellie Jordan Ghost Trapper series; really recommend if you are into down to Earth supernatural stories
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #87 on: 28 August 2016, 12:07:58 »
down to Earth supernatural stories
What the Hell?

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 28 August 2016, 17:01:01 »
Finished Django Wexler's The Thousand Names and it strikes me as a cross between Bernard Cornwall's Sharpe series and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Not a bad thing actually.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2016, 04:38:25 by Charlie 6 »

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: 29 August 2016, 00:08:42 »
As in the focus more on the science emphasis on ghost hunting with not too much on the occult side of it; mentioned but not part of the overall plot so to speak. Think the "Ghosthunters" tv show but with a story
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Register