Author Topic: Looking for a novel's title  (Read 2862 times)

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Looking for a novel's title
« on: 09 April 2018, 04:37:14 »
There was a series of books I read in the late 1980s-ish to early 1990s that started with the human invasion of (I think) Tau Ceti, but I can't remember the author or titles and my google fu do has failed me.

The premise was that a human starship near (Tau Ceti? Maybe Alpha Centauri?) was destroyed by hostile alien forces. Earth unites and builds a slower-than-light military fleet to liberate Tau Ceti. The invasion force will be trained in-flight and consists of young kids (at the beginning) because the flight is years long.

Upon arrival, they find the aliens live in underground dome cities, look surprisingly human, and are mostly female. The few males are kings and rulers of the city. The aliens don't talk, they use sign language. Human expectations are constantly confounded by the aliens taking different approaches to technology (e.g., fully automatic light gas guns as personal weapons). At the end of the first novel, it's discovered that the now-liberated aliens probably had nothing to do with the destruction of Earth's scout ship, setting up sequels where a time dilated human fleet chases aliens around the galaxy.

Does anyone know the novels and author I'm talking about?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Decoy

• Captain
Re: Looking for a novel's title
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2018, 05:10:46 »
That sounds like the Forever Wars....except for the society.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2018, 15:59:33 »
Nope, definitely not Forever War or Haldeman. The author only turned out these few books, as far as I know.

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2018, 17:11:54 »
cray i know what you talk about sadly i myself am drawing a blank as to the title...
i think i read it back in 93 or 94 at my local library before some one beat me to it during the annual sale....sadly had not seen it since anywhere...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2018, 17:14:42 »
Barring a home building disaster, I should finally have shelves for 133 boxes of books (my lower back still counts them) by fall and I'll solve this mystery. But I had such a vivid dream about it last night and really want to see if I can dig up the title, get an ebook copy, and reread it.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2018, 21:56:22 »
Barring a home building disaster, I should finally have shelves for 133 boxes of books (my lower back still counts them) by fall and I'll solve this mystery.
You build shelves for BOXES of books?   :o

;D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2018, 23:10:00 »
was it The Legacy of Heorot / Beowulf's Children / Destiny's Road?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2018, 02:54:27 »
ok this one is old but i never came across it again read it when i was 9.
human expedition is sent o a very first e t world that is inhabited. inhabitants are tripods and move so fast that they as well may be humming birds thanks to cybernetic enhancement they call double brain. human mission is to establish communication with the species. species that does not even know humans are there since they perceive them moving no faster than slugs or very slow growing plants. it had been nearly 40 years and book was written i guess in late 60s or mid 70s
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2018, 03:47:13 »
was it The Legacy of Heorot / Beowulf's Children / Destiny's Road?

Nope. The author wasn't big name like Niven/Pournelle.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2018, 18:25:55 »

;D
Are you suggesting you'd build shelves for anything less?  ;D

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2018, 18:32:28 »
Are you suggesting you'd build shelves for anything less?  ;D

Hmm. To clarify, "I'm building shelves to hold the contents of 133 boxes of books." They formerly occupied 14 full-height shelves, some half-size shelves, and were often double-stacked on a given shelf.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2018, 18:39:51 »
I haven't counted the number of boxes of books still in storage after I returned from overseas, but I'm fairly certain it's less than 133... AND I'm jealous... :)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2018, 21:57:07 »
I'm trying to remember another book I read a couple times.

No memory of the author or title, so hoping I can describe it will help.  Spoilers ahoy

Short version, space fiction, set on Earth, and a warship belonging to the latest warlord arrives.  The warlords think that if they can conquer Earth they will rule, and the locals are tired of that.  Seems whenever someone tries to conquer Earth, they wind up making a bigger mess for the locals to deal with.

One of the locals is appointed 'in charge' to deal with them.  As such the representative has authority to increase reqwork and decrease comptime as needed to get things don (those are the actual words from the book).  He gives them a basic tour of the region where the warlord' ship landed, and warns them not to go off due to dangerous critters.  One of the critters shows up, the representative deals with it, and the warlord + troops are brought back to their ship, and he reminds them not to go off alone.  Next day, the warlord and some troops go off alone.  They come back minus several troops, and the representative chews them out over it, and says h is not responsible for their stupidity.

While the representative is talking to the warlord, the Earth people are also diverting their work from repairing the planet, to repairing the orbital defense network.

Grand finale, the warlord's ship is eventually shot up enough that the warlord surrenders, but more damage is done to Earth from the fight.  Representative eventually tells the warlord to just leave, as whenever a wannabe conqueror arrives, Earth just gets hurt even more.

It also had several interesting philosophy commentaries in it, which were enjoyable (and disturbing) to read.  Wish I could remember it (the only thing I have tried to google search on it reqwork and comptime, and no luck).

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2018, 22:51:59 »
There was a series of books I read in the late 1980s-ish to early 1990s that started with the human invasion of (I think) Tau Ceti, but I can't remember the author or titles and my google fu do has failed me.

The premise was that a human starship near (Tau Ceti? Maybe Alpha Centauri?) was destroyed by hostile alien forces. Earth unites and builds a slower-than-light military fleet to liberate Tau Ceti. The invasion force will be trained in-flight and consists of young kids (at the beginning) because the flight is years long.

Upon arrival, they find the aliens live in underground dome cities, look surprisingly human, and are mostly female. The few males are kings and rulers of the city. The aliens don't talk, they use sign language. Human expectations are constantly confounded by the aliens taking different approaches to technology (e.g., fully automatic light gas guns as personal weapons). At the end of the first novel, it's discovered that the now-liberated aliens probably had nothing to do with the destruction of Earth's scout ship, setting up sequels where a time dilated human fleet chases aliens around the galaxy.

Does anyone know the novels and author I'm talking about?

No, but I remember the story, which is annoying as hell......

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2018, 00:25:22 »
I haven't counted the number of boxes of books still in storage after I returned from overseas, but I'm fairly certain it's less than 133... AND I'm jealous... :)

Yeah, 133 BOXES of books is a LIBRARY!!   :o

Last year I filled a plastic storage tub with paperbacks.  Carrying it the 20' to my storage shed SUCKED!!   xp  I know I've got a lot of books, but if anything it's in the LOW double-digits.  133?  Yowza!   :o

:bow:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2019, 20:41:54 »
SEEDS OF WAR! by Kevin Randle and Robert Cornett, with a sequel: Aldebaran Campaign. Just dug them out of the box.

Yeah, 133 BOXES of books is a LIBRARY!!   :o

I've unloaded about 70-75 boxes now. Sorting and proper stacking is ongoing. But I'm happy with the shelves. They're cherry stained cedar that match the other cabinets in the house. Pictured: half of the shelves. I've got a room dedicated to the library. The builder called it "an activity room," which is like a bedroom but without a closet. Library seemed more useful.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2019, 21:48:46 »

;D
I have them in my basement as well   :thumbsup:

and cray the novel set I think you are looking for is the Seed of War
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2019, 10:03:34 »
and cray the novel set I think you are looking for is the Seed of War

That is exactly the novel.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2019, 19:45:23 »
okay for some reason it was sitting beside my old computer on the desk, when you asked
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"