Author Topic: Recommendations for a Gaming PC  (Read 2324 times)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Recommendations for a Gaming PC
« on: 14 April 2018, 17:01:14 »
My tax return will be coming in the near-ish future and due both to the age of my current laptop and the specs of a lot of my Steam games at this point, I'm considering doing something I've always wanted to do and laying down the cash for a good gaming laptop. I'm willing to spend up to $1000 (potentially a bit more if there's a really compelling reason), but ideally I'd like to spend considerably less than that. I've googled around about this for the past week and it seems like most of the results are just no-name sites that in all likelihood are getting paid by manufacturers to recommend things, so I thought I'd put it to you guys because you're at least people I kinda know and trust. Any recommendations?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Recommendations for a Gaming PC
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2018, 17:09:48 »
Not for $1000 unfortunately.* For adequate performance you'd want at least 4GB of GPS memory. I don't really trust anything less in a laptop to run games at 1080p medium settings or better.

That said I highly recommend notebookcheck.net as they have very thorough technical reviews with clean cross referencing. Watch out for occasional model differences because they publish for the German / EU market.

When they review Anandtech and Ars Technica are also good.

*I could be wrong
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2018, 20:51:32 »
to be honest I would look at newegg

I looked and one of the first ones that caught my eye was
ASUS FX502VM-AS73 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 Memory 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB GDDR5 VR Ready 15.6" Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

its an asus which has historically been a fairly decient vendor, its currently on sale, cpu is an i7 7700 series (not sure about the HQ tag) 16gb ram, and reasonable amount of storage out of the box.  I am a little confused why the 1060 GPU has less ram than the 1050 but ... and it comes with a 1TB 5400 rpm drive (which is kinda slow) but on the plus side its OS is going to be installed on the 128 GB ssd so in a worst case scenario you could replace the drives in a year or so, upgrading the ssd size (currently a 250gb ssd m.2 runs around $100 at frys) and replace the 5400 rpm conventional HD with either a ssd or a 7200 drive.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2018, 01:09:28 »
First and most obviously. Do NOT get a Mac and then try and turn it into a gaming computer.  I work in customer support and the number of times we get folks contacting us with Mac tech issues or poor performance related ones for our games...its mind numbing.  A Mac is not a gaming PC, not ever in a million years unless you're willing to spend an unearthly amount of money on it at which point you might as well have gotten a bloody PC.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2018, 02:14:39 »
First and most obviously. Do NOT get a Mac and then try and turn it into a gaming computer.  I work in customer support and the number of times we get folks contacting us with Mac tech issues or poor performance related ones for our games...its mind numbing.  A Mac is not a gaming PC, not ever in a million years unless you're willing to spend an unearthly amount of money on it at which point you might as well have gotten a bloody PC.
note this was several years ago but my mom was looking at laptops, and I was comparing hardware specs, you the things that are the bottom line for "real performance" and there was an ~$400 hp laptop, it had the exact same, cpu, the exact same ram, the exact same size and resolution display, the exact same gpu, and video ram the same size and speed hard drive.  you know all the things that determine  ACTUAL performance... as a $1300 MacBook air laptop, as far as I was able to tell, the real difference was... the mac cost between $800 and $900 more because it weighed ~1-2 lbs less and had the apple logo on it. we won't get into the fact that the hp would likely perform much better in actual use do to having a much better cooling system, to keep the laptop from thermal limiting itself for a lot longer.

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2018, 05:25:34 »
working for  Bestbuy  i seen a fair number of people buying for games and getting the bare minimum specs for the game. I  tell people look at the entire game library (in you case steam) and find the one with highest specs for recommended  settings.  This should be the lowest  specs you get. cause between dlc and the patches after a year or so this ends up being the minimum specs to game that title on. 

Personally if your sinking that kind of money into a system  look for one that has the highest bag for buck, as well as a quality bag to protect it some. also if you go though places like bestbuy makes sure to get the geek squad warranty . I got it on my wife laptop and end needing to have the screen replaced cause it was coming apart from frame(it a touch screen ) and it end up costing more to fix than the laptop costed me. So I got a heck of a deal on it lol

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2018, 05:44:56 »
Aye, personal experience says buy the best you can with the money you've got for it. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2018, 11:20:41 »
if you want a recommend for a lap top that can play games not expensive with lot of horses under the hood try oldie but goodie rugged too...
i had been using a hp workstaton elitebook 8770w with nvidia card build in and at least 12gb of ram....it will play about 90% of the stuff out there...
and i did run battletech beta test on mine it run niceley...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2018, 12:35:32 »
this just popped up if you have the money...
https://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-has-some-big-discounts-on-refurbished-hp-omen-pcs-in-the-us/
not too bad and not too good either just right down the middle i would say...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2018, 14:58:50 »
No magic-bullet answers, but a couple things to keep in mind:

- Spend money on the GPU, not the CPU. Even at 1080p (and for $1k, you won't be getting a 4K laptop), the vast majority of games are GPU bound. You money does more for you buying more GPU with more VRAM than buying more CPU. That said, you may not need a super-top-end graphics chip. My personal desktop is running an overclocked Radeon 290X from however many years ago those cards came out. It STILL manages 60fps@1080p in just about every game that isn't Far Cry. Laptop GPU's tend to be a bit more wimpy than their desktop brothers with the same names, but you probably don't more than a 1060-class GPU top handle 1080p without problems.

- If you can swing it, get an SSD. Aside from the GPU, getting pretty much ANY SSD is going to be your next best bang-for-the-buck place to spend money. Even if it is small and you have to swap games on and off of it from your steam library, the performance difference between SSD and non-SSD is huge.

- Gaming laptops are generally heavy, hot, and inconvenient. They may be able to play games acceptably, but they tend to suck as laptops in most other ways. Even without big batteries, they tend to weigh a lot thanks to the extra cooling hardware, and they shed TONS of heat when playing. Plus, they often have larger-than-normal power adapters to feed all that video hardware, so carrying it with you in a bag gets even more cumbersome. I own a 15" Alienware with a 980GTX and I can't set it on my lap in bed while playing a game. I have to use a laptop tray to keep from melting the skin off my thighs! Also, it's like carrying a sack of bricks. My Wife has a top-end Asus ROG STRIX, and it is lighter, but still hot as coal-fire and not exactly fun to carry.

I will say that I've had zero problems with either the Alienware I've got or the Asus my wife has in terms of technical issues. The Sager (basically a Clevo) she had before was...troublesome. I would have no problems recommending either Alienware or Asus' ROG line of laptops. However, neither are cheap for the hardware you get. I was willing to spend extra money for good support and a generally high standard of parts QA. If you want to save money, those may not matter as much to you.

Finally, I want to say that, while my wife likes her gaming laptops, I don't think I will get another one. I dislike mine too much as a laptop, and over time I've basically gone back to playing on my desktop most of the time. When it comes time to replace my current laptop I will more than likely get a thin, light, 14" or 15" 2-in-1 with no add-on GPU. I have found that, even with competent hardware, it's still a tiny little 15" screen with a cramped keyboard, and for everything other than gaming, I wish I had something less bulky. That's just me though.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2018, 15:09:29 »
Finally, I want to say that, while my wife likes her gaming laptops, I don't think I will get another one. I dislike mine too much as a laptop, and over time I've basically gone back to playing on my desktop most of the time. When it comes time to replace my current laptop I will more than likely get a thin, light, 14" or 15" 2-in-1 with no add-on GPU. I have found that, even with competent hardware, it's still a tiny little 15" screen with a cramped keyboard, and for everything other than gaming, I wish I had something less bulky. That's just me though.

One possibility that's come online in the past year or so that people may want to think about is the eGPU.

Basically, if one doesn't need to game on the go but still wants basic laptop functionality when traveling, then a laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 ("four lanes" is the technical term) can connect to an external enclosure that contains a video card and use *that* for gaming.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/are-external-gpus-for-macs-viable-in-macos-10-13-4-we-tested-to-find-out/

This article is about trying an eGPU for a Macbook Pro, which I do not recommend (support is immature and gaming isn't as good an experience as on Windows), but the idea is the same and there's pictures. One could find a cheap(er) laptop that's reasonably portable and hook up to an enclosure when home.

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2018, 15:30:17 »
My personal desktop is running an overclocked Radeon 290X from however many years ago those cards came out. It STILL manages 60fps@1080p in just about every game that isn't Far Cry.
Even GeForce 1080 Ti runs that game "only" around 100 frames per second at HD resolution with all maxed out. I checked. So much about 144 hertz HD monitor that cost me 539 € ::)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2018, 20:07:48 »
Just to clarify: I won't need the laptop to play the most absolute high-end AAA games, the Assassin's Creeds and Far Crys and Fallouts and what have you. Those sort of things are what my Xbone is for. On Steam I mostly play strategy games, but there are certain games that I'd really like to be able to play that I just can't play at all, like Obduction or the remastered Homeworld. So I just need something that's capable of that sort of thing, but for the foreseeable future. I figure if I get a solid gaming laptop now, it'll last for another decade's worth of those sorts of games.

EDIT: I'd also like to be able to play Mechwarrior Online and Mechwarrior 5 when that comes out. Dunno if that changes anything.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2018, 22:07:56 by Kojak »

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2018, 23:16:53 »
looking at the battletech game about to release on april 24 this is what it has for specs

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2105 or AMD® Phenom™ II X3 720
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 560 Ti or AMD® ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 (1 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device
Additional Notes: Multiplayer is compatible between Windows and Mac versions.

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460 or AMD® FX-4300
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 670 or AMD® Radeon™ R9 285 (2 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device
Additional Notes: Multiplayer is compatible between Windows and Mac versions.
Copyright© 2018 Harebrained Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

so the newegg one I suggested is a couple generations newer on cpu and gpu, but unfortunately it (on sale at $200 off) is still ~1050, and it was a general asus not a ROG asus

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2018, 05:55:16 »
did you look at my post what is available on clearence rack on amazon?
also what is your budget?
anything less than i7 is junk today...and recommendation on egg is spot on .

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #15 on: 17 April 2018, 12:13:27 »
remastered Homeworld
I have read it changes some gameplay elements for the worse.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

elf25s

• Major

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2018, 14:10:32 »
they are currently on sale at frys with a $100 mail in rebate

https://www.frys.com/search?query_string=9302890&nearbyStoreName=false&site=gameremail042118

MSI GF62VR 7RF-877 15.6" Gaming Laptop With Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor, 16GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 10

SI GP62 Leopard-285, 15.6" Laptop With Intel® Core™ i5 Processor,8GB Memory, NVIDIA GeForce® GTX1050, 2G GDDR5 Graphics Card, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 10

now myself I would most likely pay the extra for the i7 and 1060 gpu but it is a significant increase in cost

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #18 on: 21 April 2018, 16:35:48 »
So much about 144 hertz HD monitor that cost me 539 € ::)

Ouch. I'd like to find the guy who sold you on that and sock him in the nose.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2018, 13:06:19 »
Ouch. I'd like to find the guy who sold you on that and sock him in the nose.
I just compared prices around. Little variety in Finland, 448 € in Germany (with 500 € overlined), some $430 in USA, and about the same in £ in UK. If I had imported the monitor from USA, shipping would have increased price close to equal that of what I got it from the store with danger of damages by careless handling and freezing temperatures. No reason to complain.