Author Topic: ProtoMech of the Week - Hippogriff  (Read 13792 times)

anime ninja

• Corporal
Re: ProtoMech of the Week - Hippogriff
« Reply #30 on: 23 April 2015, 13:38:15 »
Protos can't use ATMs, but they can use a Fusillade, which is basically a two-shot ATM3 that can use iATM munitions. But a single one of those is 1500kg, so that wouldn't be a very good swap.

What is the reason that protos can't use ATMs?

Anyone know?

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #31 on: 23 April 2015, 14:14:50 »
You could make a 3x StreakLRM1 version if you halve the ammo. You couldn't use specialty ammo but then you would have no good reason not to  jump around at +4 TMM all day long
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #32 on: 23 April 2015, 17:06:24 »
What is the reason that protos can't use ATMs?

Anyone know?
basically boils down to "no one got the bugs worked out in time"
odds are the society dragged their feet in that regard.. though even they only managed to produce the Fusillade, which is overly heavy and under ammo'd.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 23 April 2015, 18:15:00 »
Well, they can always take an IS mech-scale MML-Launcher and carry it in a backpack.  ^-^
Given the minimums, might as well shoot it in an arc.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #34 on: 24 April 2015, 00:21:34 »
Hmm... so you're saying first you block line of sight, then mine the hexes that the opponent can no longer see?

I'm not that familiar with Snow Ravens in the Dark Age, but if you're ditching Zell then why not add some Narc-compatible LRMs and pair them with something like a Kitfox D or Stormcrow D? Boosts the direct fire cluster roll and aids in indirect fire against a tagged enemy that's trying to get out of the rain.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #35 on: 24 April 2015, 03:43:19 »
I can see them keeping that tech in reserve for emergencies.

Its possible, but i'd say that save the Horses and Ravens the other IS Clans view Proto's as being failures, this is shown by the Falcons using proto scaled weapons on garrison mechs and the like.  The Wolves didn't seem to take notice of them whilst the very conservative Bears seem to have disdained them from the offset (and lacked the aerospace phenotype to start a breeding program.) and just went with MOAR Elementals!

If they are used its probably on a very limited basis and basically until those units are simply out of commission and then not replaced.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #36 on: 25 April 2015, 02:31:59 »
Re Hunters vs Hippos-

The proto point can also cover more ground faster with a further spread than a pair of tracked 5/8 tanks . . . and they will get stuck at the river's edge.  Consider they can also punt these things out of Arcadias for Orbital Drops or some other fancy insertions makes them a much more offensive oriented unit.

I am glad someone brought up using the MML- lose the Clan no minimum advantage but for the ability to throw minefields, inferno rounds and Semi-G ammo from someone bouncing around like this seems like a fair trade.  I was wondering about something like a Piranha, stack it with LMGs to backstab, critseek or mow down militia.

While I appreciate the review . . . what about how it will fare against the expected opposition, the Dragon?  and perhaps who it actually went up against- Davion?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 25 April 2015, 10:43:05 »
Hmm... so you're saying first you block line of sight, then mine the hexes that the opponent can no longer see?

I'm not that familiar with Snow Ravens in the Dark Age, but if you're ditching Zell then why not add some Narc-compatible LRMs and pair them with something like a Kitfox D or Stormcrow D? Boosts the direct fire cluster roll and aids in indirect fire against a tagged enemy that's trying to get out of the rain.

I'm not actually sure whether Narc rounds weigh double normal what normal rounds do (asked in the rules questions forum to find out), but even if they don't it seems like a bit of a waste to focus on indirect fire when you've got so many other tactical options with the 7 jumping MP and low BV cost.

I am glad someone brought up using the MML- lose the Clan no minimum advantage but for the ability to throw minefields, inferno rounds and Semi-G ammo from someone bouncing around like this seems like a fair trade.  I was wondering about something like a Piranha, stack it with LMGs to backstab, critseek or mow down militia.

As it stands...all IS 'tech is non-compatible with ProtoMechs. Hopefully this changes one day. The LMG option isn't as viable, though - after the Partial Wing, the Hippogriff only have three slots to play around with.

While I appreciate the review . . . what about how it will fare against the expected opposition, the Dragon?  and perhaps who it actually went up against- Davion?

ProtoMechs would be devastating against any of the combined arms formations of the Inner Sphere. I'm a strong believer that ProtoMechs hard-counter vehicles when played correctly, and the Hippogriff is most definitely no exception.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #38 on: 25 April 2015, 21:51:14 »
I'm not actually sure whether Narc rounds weigh double normal what normal rounds do (asked in the rules questions forum to find out), but even if they don't it seems like a bit of a waste to focus on indirect fire when you've got so many other tactical options with the 7 jumping MP and low BV cost.

I meant for indirect fire not to be a goal, but an added bonus. The cluster improvement for direct fire seemed much more important.

Good catch on the missile weight. The wording does make it sound like the missiles would be heavier, which would be sad for all missile-toting protos, not just the Hippogriff.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 25 April 2015, 22:54:49 »
I meant for indirect fire not to be a goal, but an added bonus. The cluster improvement for direct fire seemed much more important.

Good catch on the missile weight. The wording does make it sound like the missiles would be heavier, which would be sad for all missile-toting protos, not just the Hippogriff.

Right, and I don't think it's ever been written outside of TacOps either. I checked the older Combat Equipment and BMR, didn't see anything...but I think my first assumption game from the older Orc entry and how they were noted as carrying full loads of infernos.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 25 April 2015, 23:11:41 »
The Hippogriff is an odd sort in Alpha Strike.  Its low damage output translates pretty similarly, with a 0* damage rating across the board.  That said, you do get damage all the way out to long range, even if it's pretty inconsistent.  Where the shine comes is in the movement and the points cost.  As you may expect, with one armor point and that little damage, even the hilarious 14"j movement only brings the Hippogriff up to a whopping 9 points.  It's cheap enough that you can bring one at Skill 0 for 17 points, making it a contender in the same role as the ASN-21 Assassin (17 points), SDR-5V Spider (16 points), FLE-17 Flea (17 points), and  CDA-2A Cicada (16 points).

Now, in case that comparison doesn't ring the bells it should, that's for a Skill 0 Hippogriff.  At the same time, the Hippogriff is capable of keeping up an absolutely ridiculous +5 TMM (+4 from 14"j, +1 from being a Proto) all game long.  That means that a Hippogriff could very well be looking at taking shots against a fairly typical target (+2 TMM) at long range (+4) after jumping (+2) at 8s to hit.  that may not sound like much, but combined with the IF0* special, it's the kind of unit that starts the game harassing your units, and then never ever stops.

I want a couple points of them.  Badly.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 26 April 2015, 01:17:01 »
Sadly i've never used Proto's but I love the idea behind them.  Looking at folks thoughts here about the Hippo says to me that its not a fighter, its a harasser/troll.  Sure they don't hit hard, but you can't quite ignore them either, and then you've got to 'waste' shots trying to hit a small target thats jumping about like a kid that's just drunk 4 cans of redbull followed by downing 2lb of popping candy.  I wish that the original proto's had shared some of the Hipp's looks, they were designed to be intimidating and scary, yet they were all smooth corners and edges with scary faces.  The Hipp looks ugly, it looks mean. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 26 April 2015, 01:34:33 »
Big thing to remember with protos is they are not line units but rather skirmishers, generally they work best in battles with objectives than the typical 'last man standing' set up.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #43 on: 26 April 2015, 13:01:52 »
I want to make Harry Potter jokes every time I see this thing.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #44 on: 26 April 2015, 13:38:32 »
I want to make Harry Potter jokes every time I see this thing.

I-I'm a what?
You're a wizard, Star Commander.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #45 on: 26 April 2015, 14:37:37 »
I-I'm a what?
You're a wizard, Star Commander.
Only you can defeat the Dark Lord Davion.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #46 on: 26 April 2015, 14:59:06 »
He Who Shall Not Be Mentioned?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 26 April 2015, 15:41:15 »
HeroChip?   :P
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #48 on: 26 April 2015, 20:12:12 »
You know the merc unit we are missing?

Protos!  Just imagine the evilness you could get up to with some of them . . .
Colt Ward

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 26 April 2015, 21:21:17 »
I can see their tagline now: "Will work for drugs."

Considering the god-complex proto pilots tend to develop, what do you call them?  The Aesir?  The Olympians?  The Tuatha de Danann?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 27 April 2015, 06:08:44 »
I like the idea of them calling themselves the Asir.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 27 April 2015, 07:02:05 »
Wouldn't hire them for long term contracts.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #52 on: 27 April 2015, 07:43:12 »
One of these days I am going to write a fan fic about a backward world where a group of Protomechs have imagined themselves as gods and periodically demand human sacrifice to reincarnate their members.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #53 on: 27 April 2015, 07:47:03 »
One of these days I am going to write a fan fic about a backward world where a group of Protomechs have imagined themselves as gods and periodically demand human sacrifice to reincarnate their members.
Will they also fly in giant pyramids?  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 27 April 2015, 08:51:03 »
Will they also fly in giant pyramids?  ;)
Pyramid-shaped "spheroid" DropShip? Probably hellishly difficult to fly in atmosphere and doesn't have any practical advantages but why not?

Maverick__

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 27 April 2015, 20:02:28 »
I haven't been keeping up with all the new designs, let alone the protomech designs, but I really like how this one looks.... much better than that dragon looking protomech.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 28 April 2015, 07:07:19 »

You know you want to!

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 28 April 2015, 13:36:58 »

Twist ending- it works.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #58 on: 03 May 2015, 21:27:06 »
It's too bad this thing was made into a ProtoMech Glider, that would added more interesting angle to it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #59 on: 03 May 2015, 21:50:55 »
It's too bad this thing was made into a ProtoMech Glider, that would added more interesting angle to it.

Gotta be an Ultra Proto for that, unfortunately.

Register