Author Topic: Tell Us Your Favorite RPG Character of All Time (and/or any time)  (Read 31424 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Tell Us Your Favorite RPG Character of All Time (and/or any time)
« Reply #30 on: 15 August 2013, 11:18:43 »
Hmm, favorite character?  Well, that would probably be Lucus, my 2nd Edition D&D Ogre Mercenary and inspiration for my forum name.

Big, bad, and liked take control of the situation.  That GM didn't use racial maximums for ability scores beyond racial penalties.  So I ended up rolling (after modifiers), a 14 for intelligence.  I was the second smartest party member after the wizard.  And, of course, being an ogre meant that I had massively high strength and constitution scores.  I had him using a (for him) two-handed flail for most of his career, though he also had a broadsword he used as a shortsword and occasionally used throwing axes.

My favorite incident with him was just a random encounter- the party was all in the low 2 digit range for level when, and to this day I have no idea why the GM bothered with it, we had a random encounter of three kobolds while walking down the road.  Looking back, I think he just wanted something light to throw at us to break up the bit of monotony we'd been having with recent fights.  Anyway, the first kobold checks morale: runs.  Second kobold checks morale: also runs.  Third kobold checks morale: success!  Kamikaze kobold pulls his dagger and charges!  Doesn't go for the Drow wizard, doesn't go for the Saural cleric, doesn't go for the insectoid thief (can't remember his race anymore, some weird 2nd Edition thing, might have been from Dragon Magazine).  Nope, this little kobold is coming straight for the ogre.  So, because of my reach and init check, I'm entitled to taking a free shot at him with my flail before he actually attacks me.  All I've got to do is avoid rolling a 1 and he's toast.  I crit.  The GM's description is "you bring your flail in an overhead arc directly down on the kobold.  A huge cloud of dust is thrown up by the impact.  When it finally settles, you see a hole two feet deep with something that might be a little blood at the bottom."
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #31 on: 15 August 2013, 13:24:09 »
He he he, nice.

... doesn't go for the insectoid thief (can't remember his race anymore, some weird 2nd Edition thing, might have been from Dragon Magazine).

I think your talking about the Thri-Kreen.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 15 August 2013, 14:48:47 »
Nope, there were a ton of insectoid monstrous races in 2nd Edition, this guy was something different than a thri-kreen.  He looked more like a beetle than a mantis and he had some other significant differences- immunities, equipment restrictions, ect.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Reaver

• Warrant Officer
  • 10 XP from 2nd level commoner
« Reply #33 on: 16 August 2013, 13:08:35 »
Nope, there were a ton of insectoid monstrous races in 2nd Edition, this guy was something different than a thri-kreen.  He looked more like a beetle than a mantis and he had some other significant differences- immunities, equipment restrictions, ect.

Chitine, maybe?

Anyway, my favorite character is one I actually just wrapped up in a game of pbp Vampire: Dark Ages.

Andrei of Clan Assamite

By birth, Andrei was nothing more than a peasant born in a humble village nestled in the Romanian Carpathians.  But Andrei was notable for three things.  First, he was incredibly clever and thoughtful, and if given half a chance he could (and did) outwit vampires hundreds of years older than he was.  Second, he used his intelligence and cunning to become one of the finest hunters in the world even before he was turned into a vampire.  And the third thing:  Andrei was born a deaf/mute, which meant that in the medieval world he was usually taken for an imbecile.

The result of this confluence of extreme talent and persistent discrimination was a character who was almost torn in two between his desire to do the right thing and help other people, and his desire to have someone, anyone recognize his talents and show him the basic level of affection and respect.  This manifested in an extremely brittle and sharp-edged form of compassion.  On the surface, he was humane and gentle, but if he even suspected that his honor had been pricked, he turned icy and aloof, a trait only enhanced by the fact that, since he was deaf, he sometimes missed other people trying to be friendly and approach him.  Underneath, he basically had a split personality, with the other personality constantly whispering in his ear that he had earned the right to rage against the world for all the misfortunes that had been done to him.  But he was also honorable, compassionate, and utterly unyielding in the face of hardship.  And this was before he was turned into a vampire.  It was also what got him killed.

He was selected less as a prospect for conversion into a vampire than as a meal.  He went to a castle expecting that he'd receive a commission to take a lord hunting, and that he could leverage that into genuine recognition for his talents, maybe even a wife.  What happened instead was that he stumbled onto a cabal of vampires who had brought a number of exceptional "vintages" of blood for a feast.  Andrei died bloodied and bruised after being overwhelmed by the guards, trussed up and hung on a wall with a tap driven into his neck, but not before doing his level best to stake the vampire in charge with an arrow (V:TM fans will know the vampire as the Claudius Giovanni).  If you imagine a Red Wedding where the Freys eat the Starks, you wouldn't be far off the mark.  And when the party was interrupted by another cabal of elders attacking the castle, Andrei was reborn as vampiric cannon fodder.

Andrei, however, persevered.  Vampires when they come awake in the World of Darkness are usually driven mad by hunger, killing until they're filled with blood.  Andrei?  He retained control, caught up a young serving girl and hid in the corner while his fellow guests massacred  the human servants.  And when he got loose, began a hunt for the cabal of vampires that had damned his soul.  When he'd succeeded in his hunt, he disappeared into the wilderness for the next two hundred years.

Of particular stories of his cleverness and derring-do, I can remember three.  The first was how he impressed his future sire at the party before he was summarily eaten.  His sire proposed a game of hunt-the-person:  he would wander about the hall for ten minutes, in which time Andrei had to find a way to get into killing position or . . . well, things would go badly for him, because the person he mistakenly thought was just a Muslim observing a strange custom was actually a 400-year old vampiric assassin.  But the thing is, Andrei knew one thing better than anything else, and that was how to hunt.  And the trick to hunting?  Always give your prey exactly what they expect to see right up until the moment you kill them.  What kind of prey it is doesn't really matter. 

So he flagged over a servant and asked if she could read (he had been taught to spell for the purpose of confession, a rare trait for a peasant); the DM humored me and said she could.  So I wrote that I would give her all the silver I had, and protection besides, if she did three things.  One, pretend that I had propositioned her rudely and refuse.  Two, take the letter I wrote threatening to brutally retaliate to the steward of the castle who, wouldn't you know, was talking to my sire, and mention that I'd planned to attack from a certain direction.  Three, when the sire looked that way, take the dagger I left on the table and tap his neck.  It worked like a charm, and I never even had to get close, even though I did approach from a different direction with an arrow nocked.  The DM even gave me extra xp for creativity, and when I gave the serving girl one of my prize possessions (a bear-claw necklace from a bear I'd slain to save my brother), I basically got a best friend and eventual wife for the rest of the game.

Story two, I had managed to infiltrate the cabal I was hunting, on the pretext that I was trying to survive and they were the closest thing I had to friends.  But along the way, the cabal's Brujah (for those not familiar with White Wolf, the Brujah are vampires famous for being strong, fast and very hot-tempered) had tried to bully one of my friends, and took offense when I had tried to stake him with an arrow in the chest.  Funny that.  So needless to say, he took my serving girl friend and held her hostage against my fighting a duel to the death. 

So I met him.  On my terms.  He was a brilliant melee combatant who could hack me in half with one swipe of his axe.  I was a great huntsman who could vanish at will.  So I shot him with an arrow, ran into the woods, and vanished.  While he was fumbling about for me, I doubled back, killed the guy the Brujah had guarding my serving girl (the only human I ever killed in the story), and freed her to run off.  The DM found this enraged the Brujah so much that, rather than using the axe, he tried to kill Andrei with his bare hands.  Well, for those of you not familiar with Andrei, there was one quirk of his that I haven't mentioned:  rather than investing heavily in the standard abilities of an Assamite, which are geared around silent and super-fast killing, I had invested in the non-standard ability to shapeshift.  One of the talents associated with the shapeshifting Discipline of Protean is the ability to grow claws that do severe damage and is very hard for a vampire to heal.  And I had never shown any indication to this point, to anyone, that I could do it.  So this Brujah jumped on top of me and started punching me in the face . . . only to be very surprised when I sprouted claws and gouged his eyeballs out.  And when he tried to run, he found that even with super-speed, he couldn't outrun the arrow I put in his back.  I lost a point of humanity for the eye-gouge (I did it specifically to hurt the guy, and I was a very, very moral vampire), but I was a 2-day old vampire that dropped a 300-year old Brujah built for hand-to-hand.

The third story was what eventually happened to my sire in the climax and epilogue.  In the climactic fight, the remainder of the cabal that had made us went up against our group and the vampire cabal that had broken up the party (long story short, we bought our survival by agreeing to take down our sires, which wasn't exactly something we were loathe to do).  My sire attacked me by projectile-vomiting blood that had been turned into an extremely corrosive acid.  He fumbled the damage roll.  I attacked him with my claws.  I didn't.  So he basically ended up on the ground with his legs hanging by threads, and I had initiative.  I pinned him to the floor with a stake, paralyzing him.  And in the epilogue, I silently held up a parchment I had carefully made for the occasion, promising that I would survive to learn how to master the Assamite control of vampiric blood, with a special twist.  Most Assamites are bloodthirsty cannibals, because in the World of Darkness, one can gain power by draining a vampire of a lower generation (the more vampires spawned between you and the mythical First Vampire, the lower your character's abilities can max out at).  The effect is a bit like splicing the drained vampire's soul into yours, allowing you higher maximums in addition to some of their knowledge and power.  It's also something Assamites are infamous for, and one that my sire had done multiple times and considered a religious imperative. 

Andrei,  however, was going to master the Assamite's abilities specifically to reverse the process:  if he fed from a vampire, he would be able to un-splice the consumed elements from the original vampire and release both to what lay beyond Death.  Because Andrei also had a religion, namely the Christian religion.  And in that religion, only One had the right to judge and condemn souls, and that was God.  And Andrei promised to give his sire the gift of God's mercy, once he could un-splice all the other vampires his sire had consumed over his hundreds of years, taking away everything his sire had fought for and valued most.  And then he buried his sire alive, still paralyzed by the stake, and rode off into the sunset with his still-mortal, and truly loving, wife.

Never got a chance to reach the next chapter where he would have had ultimately to face his demons and change to become more genuinely caring and let go of the hate and rage that was simmering beneath the surface, but while it lasted?  Andrei was a very, very fun character to play.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2013, 13:11:37 by Reaver »
The Federated Suns.  Exporting freedom, whether we have it or not, whether you want it or not.
--Pyro

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #34 on: 16 August 2013, 13:38:58 »
I made Alesthane Garfield a bard in DnD, and have a "soundboard" app on my phone I use for "bard songs". Party encounters a group of three female drow driders...

... I hit "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot on the soundboard for the first time. Hilarity ensues, starting with the GM declaring I had practically seized aggro. "Apparently the Drow know enough common to know what you are singing. They are decidedly less than amused."

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #35 on: 17 August 2013, 22:33:09 »
RoFLmao

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #36 on: 05 September 2013, 10:57:24 »
Well, I usually GM so it's been a long while since I played a character.  So instead I'll give you my favourite NPC.

It was the second session in a fresh new fantasy setting.  My players were expecting traditional D&D... but that would be boring.  They'd quickly learned there was very little magic left thanks to a horrific war that killed all the gods.  Magic was outlawed (so the sorcerer in the party had to be VERY careful) and once great empires had crumbled into little city-states.

Several players were walking one of the old roads when they encountered a robed gnoll.  Seeing as gnolls are badguys, they attacked.  Little did they know that they had encountered Ryth, pacifist and worshiper of the dead god of tolerance.  This 8 foot tall beasty cowered before them and begged for mercy, which the characters gave.  Later it was revealed that he was also a vegetarian.  Ah, good times.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Raggedy_Man

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 05 September 2013, 19:51:15 »
My favorite character was actually played by someone in a game of Barbarians of Lemuria I GM'ed a couple of years back.  It was a PbP that ran for a couple of months before dissolving due to attrition (specifically, my attrition when my twins were born and I took a job halfway across the country).  The character's name was Black Beryl--sort of a female Conan the Barbarian; a girl- and guy-chasing, hard-drinking, sword-swinging heroine.  She could out-fight and out-drink any man.  In fact, I first met her as a PC (I was playing a half-giant), and she trounced me in an arm-wrestling match before downing a mug of ale in one gulp.  Her player, whom I only knew from the rpg.net message boards, played her so vividly that I don't think I'll ever forget her.  I certainly remember her better than many of my characters from years past.

A distant second is a philosopher-cyborg (a slave borg OCC) I played in a game of Rifts.  His name was John Locke (I kid you not, this was in the mid '90s, and I was just out of college, so WAY before LOST).  He was a scrawny student who took the full-body conversion in exchange for money for his family and a term of service with a local warlord.  Drawn into the life of a powerful band of wasteland thugs, Locke was reluctant to engage in their standard kidnapping and murder, but he quickly fell into their way of life, as it kept his large, poor family in money.  The deeper he sank into the life of a mob enforcer, the more he found himself enjoying it.  Needless to say, there were some bitter, painful choices for him along the way.  The GM ran a dual campaign--my group (centered around the warlord) and a more scrupulous group (centered around a cyber-knight), and eventually brought us together.  We had some memorable fights, and the campaign ended before my 'borg could find his redemption.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 05 September 2013, 21:53:26 »
I had one Shadowrun character who was kinda fun.  He was a troll heavy-weapons expert named Chris Latta.  One run resulted in a particularly large haul... at which point I shot everyone in the back and kept it for myself (the game was ending anyway because half the group was leaving after that).

I was still rather surprised that nobody saw it coming with that character.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #39 on: 18 September 2013, 00:50:08 »
Easily my merc turned Bandit King in an AU periphery set starting in about 3050. He was a truly despicable person and the only truly evil character I've ever played. The following events took place over a 25-30 year period in-game (I was a regular part of the campaign from 1997-2012).

Exploits include (but are certainly not limited to)
  • Starting his career by stealing a Leopard and two mechs from his father and fleeing to the periphery
  • Staging a false flag op against his first employer, stealing equipment, and selling it back to him
  • Helping said employer win a presidential election by 'persuading' voters
  • Befriending and recruiting a band of religious psychopaths and using them as shock troops
  • An entire series of games based around running around the backwoods of Lordinax in his cooling vest and underwear, dodging Marian patrols. The climax involved driving an APC off a bridge to escape a Griffin, then successfully rolling to jump from the falling vehicle into the river below.
  • Being betrayed and captured by previously mentioned religious fanatics, and escaping before they could sell him back to his father
  • Narrowly escaped a Clan assault after the planetary commander said some unfortunate things about the Cluster Commander's genetic heritage. In the ensuing 16 IS mechs vs 60 clan units, he survived the running battle by charging into the teeth of the Clan formation, then sealing himself in an abandoned mine at the edge of town (rescue came nearly two weeks later after starvation had almost set in).
  • Unvarnished involvement in coup in Lothian League
  • Eliminated rivals in a series of unfortunate accidents to become commander regent (there was a hereditary matriarchy ruling the country and the little brat heir couldn't be eliminated during the confusion of the fighting)
  • Aid from another PC (read as: oafish political meddling) led to a counter coup. Character survived a shootout with federal forces - at one point, he was firing RPGs off the roof of the presidential residence while wearing only a bathrobe.
  • Reappointment of key military personnel allowed for the theft of 75% of the federal military and navy, fled towards IS boarder
  • Established bandit kingdom by conquering Astrokaszy and a few surrounding planets. Capturing of fortified cities may have involved firing on women and children who had been put on the walls in an attempt to force a halt to the attack.
  • Repeated assassination attempts (including a toilet seat mine planted by another PC) lead to spending over half of the national revenue for several years to build a bunker that would eventually become the largest structure in the periphery.
  • Befriended another PC who had married a half-sister to the Lotherian matriarch (who was now of age and a pretender to the throne). Made arrangements to murder her and sell her body back for a giant wad of cash (sometimes archenemies can work together). Personally delivered the bomb under the guise of a meeting of friendship. Forged attack order, sending his units across international boundaries to 'retaliate'.  Looted vulnerable industrial complexes while resistance was weak
  • Tried to make up for lack of mech forces by raising massive infantry formations (hilarity and hijinx ensued on several occasions in massive urban operations)
  • Under same infantry program, built prop planes with the support vehicle rules modeled after C-47s. When other PCs banded together to punish previous shenanigans, paratroopers were dropped on their parked dropships by the hundreds. A Union and Excalibur were destroyed, stranding enemy mechs in the Astrokaszy desert for months.
  • Launched years-long campaigns of terror against another PC who had married the Lotherian Matriarch (enemy by association)
  • Caught intelligence that the Lotherian matriarch's full sister had been kidnapped, rescued her before the Lotherian force arrived. Eggs may have been extracted before returning her.
  • sparked uprisings on more than once centered around remotely controlled radio broadcasts and leaders that didn't actually exist
  • Using network of spies still in Lothian, obtained PC's blood samples, used to make stem cells and sperm (I understand it's fringe science, but the GM laughed so hard when I detailed the plan that it had to be allowed). Created test tube babies at a time when PC and sister were in the same place. Appearance of strange children a few years later indicated an affair. PC almost shot to death by Lotherian Dame
  • [Stole an RWR-era Condor dropship from a group of pacifists who had been using it as a temple for hundreds of years.
  • In an Ender's Game-type parody, I collected a number of intelligent, talented orphans and turned them into amoral Napoleons majoring in killing everyone.
  • Kidnapped stepson of one of the PCs who had participated retaliatory invasion years before, brainwashed the **** out of him over several years
  • Returned child, who promptly attempted to kill offending PC by stabbing him in the neck with a pen filled with pure nicotine. Target PC unfortunately made his saving throw and was only badly wounded.
  • Participated in the systematic sale of arms and intelligence to the Marians who were fighting Lothian
  • At the beginning of the Jihad, began smuggling radioactive material onto the Lothian capital world
  • Unleashed dozens of dirty bombs in population centers, Framed on Circinus, who was on planet for a different reasons
  • Used political connections to be named leader of the task force to punish Circinus, placed counterfeit evidence there to substantiate attacks
« Last Edit: 22 August 2020, 10:43:43 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #40 on: 18 September 2013, 10:30:21 »
I think this one was my favorite on that list.

"Stole an RWR-era Condor dropship from a group of pacifists who had been using it as a temple for hundreds of years."

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 18 September 2013, 13:00:06 »
I had one Shadowrun character who was kinda fun.  He was a troll heavy-weapons expert named Chris Latta.  One run resulted in a particularly large haul... at which point I shot everyone in the back and kept it for myself (the game was ending anyway because half the group was leaving after that).

I was still rather surprised that nobody saw it coming with that character.

To explain the joke, Chris Latta was the VA for Starscream in the original Transformers cartoon.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #42 on: 20 September 2013, 12:38:28 »
I had a "mountain man" in a Deadland's campaign that had several negative traits (ugly and something else) that made him a pariah in society, but as a main member of the party he got included for stuff.  One of the other negative traits had him hostile to prisoners.  I took it notch up and "stopped a few escaping prisoners" with his trademark bowie knife and a few intense interrogations.  Party stopped leaving me alone with prisoners after a few incidents.  They did enjoy the Sharps he carried around (and used well) and generally he filled in as a guard for the less "normal" combat-capable party members.

While not a trait, I also had the character scavenge EVERYTHING.  Zombie cowboy's cloths, dead guys stuff, whatever.  If it wasn't nailed down, Jeremiah tried to take it with him to sell.  Finally opened a firearms and miscellaneous articles store to tell all the loot I kept him collecting.  It was always comical to have the other party members race in to grab stuff before I could sweep in and take everything  :D

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
« Reply #43 on: 21 September 2013, 08:23:09 »
If it wasn't nailed down, Jeremiah tried to take it with him to sell.

You say that like that's unusual. And remember, if it can be pried loose, it's not considered nailed down  O0
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 21 September 2013, 12:03:38 »
Most RPGs I played in operated under two simple rules for looting: Rule 1- take everything that isn't nailed down.  Rule 2- nails are worth money too...

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 22 September 2013, 11:21:35 »
Party faced by solid adamantine door? Cut off the hinges, adamant is worth a lot of money....

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 23 September 2013, 18:44:43 »
Note to self never let Sartris use infantry or assassins in any way

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 24 September 2013, 08:23:38 »
Do the characters have to be ones we played?

I've read quite a few interesting stories in my time, as well as playing alongside some characters (on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimum human and 10 being cosmic force, we had a fighting skill 10/intelligence 1 character).

Rothgar

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 26 October 2013, 20:00:35 »
My favorite was my tech priest from Rogue Trader. Mechadentrites, Servo Harness, Sub-Dermal Plating galore. I had better piloting rolls than my pilot via hooking into the control conduits and using tech rolls to steer our skiff.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #49 on: 03 November 2013, 20:17:39 »
Lets see...

D&D - AD&D
Half-Elf Necromancer with seveal " pets ".
Half-Dragon/Half-Yuan-Ti Sellsword with half-plate Dragon armor and 2-Hander Bonesword.

Rifts
Amphibian Mystic-Mage with Bio-Wizardy and Magic Tattoos using Blue Elemental and Card Magics. Had 3 Major Tattoos and Dragons Breath, Bone Blades ( 2 per arm ) and maxed M.D.C. natural armor. She didn't wear anyting except a Furry Beetle poncho and an old pre- Rift USMC web belt. ( 1 MDC, 2 pouches and a center canteen. Carried 3 packs of cheap playing cards. )

But my most favorite chara has to be :

Steve Hammer, Full Robotic Cyborg, custom Marauder-type, Glitter Boy Pilot and CO of TekBoyz, an all cyborg merc unit. Piloting a Glitter Boy, Plasma Cannon from Rifts:Japan and a built-in silvered-Vibrosword from Rifts:Triax. The other units were a pair of Russian cyborgs piloting SAMAS's found in an abandoned pre-Rift Alaskaian (sp?) USArmy base. An odd couple: Ninja Borg ( male ) and a Cyber-Samurai ( female ) that got caught in a little jam against a horde of Oni demons summoned by a dragon. And several others like a ex-Triaxian Cyber-Doc cyborg " Doktor ",  cool hand " Luke ", a wanted cyborg miner from Rifts:New West and his lover, " Daisy " a CyberSlinger armed with Wilks's best in personal armaments.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 19 December 2013, 11:19:05 »
Just started a new SR4 character (face), quickly becoming a favourite. I poured a lot of points into unarmed combat and improvised weapon use, and to quote Black Ops 2, "The concept of morality is understood, but... irrelevant". Basically, he's capable of walking into a meeting almost unarmed and when things go south, I get to think of inventive ways to kill/disable people with everything. A couple of sessions ago, I got a really good roll and took down a bodyguard with a toothpick.  :D

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 19 December 2013, 14:15:17 »
I have a character I made up recently (bored) for palladium (rifts) even though I haven't played a rifts campaign in years.

so I started out rolling up a dog boy, breed wolf, and got some really nuts rolls for the char stats, and then got awesome results on a couple random char tables.

if you aren't familiar, a Dog boy in rifts is a genetically reengineered canine where they were "engineered" to have human like intelligence and hands and be able to stand upright.

the colilition basically human supremists churn these "mutant animals" out like the clone troopers in star wars, so there is the whole logic issue of human supremists putting a portion of their security /military in the hands of mutant animals that they made...

anyway I rolled really insane stats, and then got the unusually large, ok and then added a roll on the mutations gone wrong (they were "experimenting" ) and got supernatural strength and endurance.  So when I got all done with said character.  "she" is a 7'7" tall 407 lb humanoid (or anthromorphic) wolf (think TMNT but a wolf not a turtle) who is so strong she can pick up ~7 tons, and walk off with ~3.5 and is potentially smarter (but not as well educated) as the people who made her.   {sarcasm} Naa don't see any potential issues here. {/sarcasm}

so I am writing up some "stories" /adventures for this char to have and having fun even though I know my writing is probably really bad and rather "munchy"

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #52 on: 22 December 2013, 01:36:26 »
A rogue Dark Eldar Incubus for an RP-heavy Inquisitor campaign, tasked with tracking down a chalice by the Farseers of Ulthwe as part of a plot to rescue the soul of Eldrad Ulthuan from the Slaanesh-corrupted Blackstone Fortress in exchange for a Soulstone (for his own soul, payment on delivery), accompanied by a lone surviving Battle Sister who (probably due entirely to her oxygen-starved mind playing tricks on her when she was rescued) has mistaken him for an avatar of the Emperor, all while being hunted by a task force led by another Dark Eldar Incubus.
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #53 on: 22 December 2013, 13:28:02 »
Hey Guard~

Would you be interested of doing a Rifts: PBEM down in the off topic or RPG section? Either as a player or GM? I'd be willing to do either, but prefer to play.

Say everbody is the Squad, a CS sanctioned with a hig level NPC CO in command. Kinda like the Vanguard. Must have the book(s) to play character and all.

Something like once a week post? Twice a week...

Ideal?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 22 December 2013, 17:23:15 »
Hey Guard~

Would you be interested of doing a Rifts: PBEM down in the off topic or RPG section? Either as a player or GM? I'd be willing to do either, but prefer to play.

Say everbody is the Squad, a CS sanctioned with a hig level NPC CO in command. Kinda like the Vanguard. Must have the book(s) to play character and all.

Something like once a week post? Twice a week...

Ideal?

TT
I would be interested, I am not especially good at gming tho

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
  • Armored Space Corps Black Lion Sqn
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: 24 December 2013, 00:50:32 »
Party stopped leaving me alone with prisoners after a few incidents.

:snicker:

I played Deadlands with an established group for a while. They, honest to God, were known on the old Deadlands Mailing List (from way back in the 90s) as The Dynamite Gang. They had this disconcerting habit of resorting to explosives at what was ultimately NOT the most opportune times, like when they demolished a Mad Scientist's lab with...you guessed it, a few sticks of dynamite.

A long standing group I played Star Wars 2nd Edition with was also noted for the rather ingenious ways they handled problems. My friend played an Urban SpecForce guy who made what he dubbed a Jedi Bomb which consisted of 2 thermal detonators wired to an anti-vehicle mine. My Lorrdian Failed Jedi managed to hurl it with telekinesis at the Dark Side Adepts (who promptly grabbed itwith telekinesis to toss it back) right in time for my buddy to remote detonate the bomb. Needless to say the GameMaster was NOT happy we mowed down, in a rather grisly fashion, half a dozen budding Sith Warriors... O0

HikageMaru's awesome banner thread is here

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #56 on: 24 December 2013, 10:20:27 »
:thumbsup:

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 24 December 2013, 14:40:56 »
:snicker:

I played Deadlands with an established group for a while. They, honest to God, were known on the old Deadlands Mailing List (from way back in the 90s) as The Dynamite Gang. They had this disconcerting habit of resorting to explosives at what was ultimately NOT the most opportune times, like when they demolished a Mad Scientist's lab with...you guessed it, a few sticks of dynamite.

A long standing group I played Star Wars 2nd Edition with was also noted for the rather ingenious ways they handled problems. My friend played an Urban SpecForce guy who made what he dubbed a Jedi Bomb which consisted of 2 thermal detonators wired to an anti-vehicle mine. My Lorrdian Failed Jedi managed to hurl it with telekinesis at the Dark Side Adepts (who promptly grabbed itwith telekinesis to toss it back) right in time for my buddy to remote detonate the bomb. Needless to say the GameMaster was NOT happy we mowed down, in a rather grisly fashion, half a dozen budding Sith Warriors... O0
that makes me think of this encounter in the last star wars game I was in, I was playing a jedi char that in an attempt to meditate and gain insights accidentally called up a force spirit (former dark sider) who is acting as a mentor but attempting to corrupt my char (old weg d6 version) my jedi char has managed to craft a lightsaber "yay".  anyway we are a mostly good group and found a way to rapidly acquire a bunch of money.  first we smuggled a few thousand liters of water onto tatooine and sold it to the market (the people who control the water market (such as jabba )didn't care for that as it caused them a couple months of reduced profits.  then we managed to get a lead on and pick up a load of tabania gas we proceeded to unload at kuat yards for a tidy profit.  anyway in an attempt to atone from my "waking up" the dark side spirit we raided this space platform where we ran into a dark sider (intended to be reoccurring villain) who upon trying to force open a vertical opening blast door fumbled his telekinesis check to keep it open, and the door slammed shut on his foot leaving just his toes visible on our side of the door.  my character took a swipe at the exposed part of his anatomy and amputated the part of the foot I could see.  I then stabbed my lightsaber through the door intending to possibly disable him further.  unfortunately my aim was better than expected and I drove my lightsaber through his heart reducing it to greasy smoke and instantly killing him.  "oops"  (the gm was somewhat irritated and it turns out my chopping up of the foot had inflicted a incapacitating (almost mortal) wound on the guy, and the stab through the door aggravated the issue inflicting what by itself would have been basically a mortal wound, as it was he was at least 3 steps off the condition monitor table meaning he wasn't just dead he was really really dead.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #58 on: 08 January 2014, 00:52:38 »
The first time I got a hold of a 2nd ed Thief's Handbook I made a human Thug.  I named him Jack yo Jaw. 

Jack was allowed to have one weapon proficiency of his choosing, any weapon for any class, and so chose the bastard sword.  Two-handed, of course, otherwise it's just a glorified long sword that Jack would have a hard time finding a magic version of randomly in 2nd ed.  This choice weapon was said to be for purposes of intimidation, as it was explained in the Thug kit fluff.  Thing is, Jack never got to intimidate any NPC successfully, though he only got to try it on a couple of NPCs at random taverns, and both times spawned brawls, the kind that invariably end in fire being set somehow (usually a fireball, but sometimes burning hands, thank you meddling mages).  He also used to hang out with dwarves, and one in particular (ran by a friend) who ate "seed cake", and would profess his love for the confection as a battle cry.   

Jack - or yo as he often liked to be called - died at level 8 amid what was... shady circumstances.  I felt entitled to say he did not die, but put him in the folder to sit with the other fallen.  Jack yo Jaw lived by the sword, but died by a Gem of Disintegration.  It was enough thuggery for me.  It was time for a fighter, anyways, because that's all he had become, a kind of sucky fighter who could also climb stuff pretty good, and hide decent.   

(Yes, this was very juvenile, but I was still 14 at the time, and all I wanted to do was hurry up and make a thief with the new handbook  ;D )
« Last Edit: 08 January 2014, 17:53:23 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #59 on: 23 January 2014, 21:15:11 »
You say that like that's unusual. And remember, if it can be pried loose, it's not considered nailed down  O0

Well, our party wasn't the greatest scavengers for whatever reason.  I made it a point to take any and everything while some of the other party members tended to not want puss-soaked shirts, boots, and what not.  Sure they'd try to get weapons, money and food and what not, but I'd take anything.

Brooklyn Red Legs, haha, never heard of them (I came into the Deadland games when the GM, who apparently did some work with the creators of the game or something) switch from our MW2nd/3rd hybrid game.  We had group cohesion problems as our characters were so weird/out there it was hard to get everyone moving at once.  There were quite a few moments that still stick out.  My poor character just wasn't that smart; poor draw on character creation  :D

Register