Author Topic: Discussion Sidequest: LAMs  (Read 6449 times)

BrianDavion

• Captain
Discussion Sidequest: LAMs
« on: 08 March 2024, 00:22:27 »

• Side note, this is not a sign that LAMs are on the way. 

**Mod Notice**
The title of this thread has been modified, which is why this post includes an edit tag.

« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 14:44:50 by ActionButler »
The Suns will shine again

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
I'm glad they're not.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

BrianDavion

• Captain
I'd be fine with plastic LAMs, but mostly cause I wanna paint a P hawk LAM in crescant hawk colours
The Suns will shine again

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
unrelated to LAM thread - blanking
« Last Edit: 10 March 2024, 03:50:37 by Cyc »

DaevaHuG0

• Recruit
  • Not a Poltergeist
Well the urbanmech lam box looks fun, wonder it it will be in stock before the Kickstarter arrives.

Highlighter

• Private
How does one go about updating credit card details again? Rechecking Kickstarter made me realise card used to pay initial pledge expired earlier this year and clearly I'd love to avoid complicating the shipping charge when they finally get around to it.

You’ll get a notice when it’s ready to ship and you’ll get a chance to finalize payment methods when you pay for shipping.

klarg1

• Captain
So, a few points on the Urbie LAM.
  • The Urbie salvage box SOLD like crazy. So did the lance pack. So did the company pack. Let’s not forget the plushie. You don’t have to like it. But any money towards BattleTech means more money toward things we do want.

This one is the big point for me. Regardless of what this pack is (or is not): If it sells well it funds other stuff in the future. More sales makes more Battletech.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
I'm glad they're not.

+1

I’m strangely okay with the Urbie LAM since it is such an unserious and oddball product, but I will be delighted if we ever decide to consign real LAMs to the dustbin of history.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Talvin

• Recruit
The next Pope of New Avalon, Pope Urban X, will have a custom UrbanMech LAM with a little Pope hat, named the "LAM of God", in which he will ascend to Heaven.

spotH3D

• Corporal
I'm heartened by Adrian's post that it will not become a normal unit.  My biggest fear was they were going to clumsily retcon this thing into existance so  it could show up on the Clan Invasion or early era IS General/Merc General MUL.  All in service to a silly meme.

Beyond that, it sticks because I know CGL doesn't have infinite throughput, so as far as I'm concerned, this does actively push back other product that could of sold and been useful on the table.

Melee monster lance - Beserker, Neaderthal, Ti-Tsang, insert Kuritan sword mech here.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Some of the new force packs should be at Adepticon.
I just hope they are not sold out on Wed night before the con.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
My biggest fear was they were going to clumsily retcon this thing into existance so  it could show up on the Clan Invasion or early era IS General/Merc General MUL. 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Some of the new force packs should be at Adepticon.
I just hope they are not sold out on Wed night before the con.

My understanding is that they're not selling anything from the Kickstarter at the con.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
... but I will be delighted if we ever decide to consign real LAMs to the dustbin of history.
But why? They're such a minor part of the game's history that you basically never have to engage with them in any way, so why rob the people who do like them of that bit of fun?  :undecided:

That doesn't make sense to me.

BYE

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
But why? They're such a minor part of the game's history that you basically never have to engage with them in any way, so why rob the people who do like them of that bit of fun?  :undecided:

That doesn't make sense to me.

BYE

At no point did I suggest that CGL should rob anyone of anything. If they announce tomorrow that every mech in the game is now a LAM, I will be very happy for the people who are happy. I will also be very confused, but I will be happy for our LAM-loving bretheren.

What I said was that I would be happy if they were struck from the game. Not that they should be struck from the game. Not that the franchise would be better off if they were struck from the game. Not that people are just a bunch of whiners for not wanting them to be struck from the game. Just that I would like to see them struck from the game. I don't like LAMs because they are inherently silly and run counter to the idea of Battletech being a "real" robot game.

I am not now, nor do I have any intention of, advocating on behalf of robbing anyone of any joys in life.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Beautifully said.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
Yeah, robbing people of the joys of life is my job as Enemy of Fun.

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism

• Side note, this is not a sign that LAMs are on the way. There was never a “Phoenix Hawk vs. Urbie” LAM question.

They unironically should be on the way. Seriously, rub HG's face in it with CGL official LAM models.

+1

I’m strangely okay with the Urbie LAM since it is such an unserious and oddball product, but I will be delighted if we ever decide to consign real LAMs to the dustbin of history.

At no point did I suggest that CGL should rob anyone of anything. If they announce tomorrow that every mech in the game is now a LAM, I will be very happy for the people who are happy. I will also be very confused, but I will be happy for our LAM-loving bretheren.

What I said was that I would be happy if they were struck from the game. Not that they should be struck from the game. Not that the franchise would be better off if they were struck from the game. Not that people are just a bunch of whiners for not wanting them to be struck from the game. Just that I would like to see them struck from the game. I don't like LAMs because they are inherently silly and run counter to the idea of Battletech being a "real" robot game.

I am not now, nor do I have any intention of, advocating on behalf of robbing anyone of any joys in life.

They don't run counter to anything in Battletech. Hell, we have WiGE vehicles that are used even though in real life they're not realistically used anymore. Same with Hovercrafts. They were there since its inception, and would have stayed more relevant if not for HG's timely bitchfit (which they can't lean on anymore, thankfully).

You may enjoy your wrong opinion, but unironically they should be brought back in some capacity as some kind of revisitation to old concepts using better technology (it will at least make ilClan era interesting, personally), or at least the rules tweaked to not be so janky and busted.
    "It's called the Death Basket, because I'm riding this coffin all the way to Hell!"

CEO of Hamric Industries and Hamric's Hammers Mercenary Unit

Want to play with Air Mech's without the extra Battlemech/ASF mode of LAMs? Try Air-Slip Mechs!
    AIR-SLIP MECH: LORE AND RULES

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
      • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website

They unironically should be on the way. Seriously, rub HG's face in it with CGL official LAM models.
    We'd need new art for the 'Mk2' versions anyway, and we've got fluff from the Mk1 versions that the Mk2's were designed to have their mech modes more closely match the standard wasp, stinger, and P-hawk. All of which now have updated GW-immune art to work from.

While I'd prefer plastic sets for them, I'd settle for just new art, some IWM minis, and updated TRO entries for the existing variants. Including some fluff about the origin of the existing variants. (Like that marik lrm5 using wasp-lam)

No need to ressurect them again, just give us updated info on the starleague, succession war, and jihad era use and versions.
    « Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 13:39:13 by glitterboy2098 »

LAMFAN

• Corporal