Author Topic: Ice Hellion Heavy Binary, 78th Hellion Lancers  (Read 408 times)

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
Ice Hellion Heavy Binary, 78th Hellion Lancers
« on: 08 April 2024, 16:46:35 »
Here's some minis I painted up last month. I'd had a mild obsession with seeing a Kodiak in that beautiful Alpha Galaxy camo for the Ice Hellions. Needless to say, this project tested me in a fun and only mildly infuriating way. Enjoy!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Legendkiller30

• Corporal
Re: Ice Hellion Heavy Binary, 78th Hellion Lancers
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2024, 17:14:14 »
nice!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2024, 03:53:09 »
Great looking unit, if slightly heavier than typical. Mind walking us through the painting process?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2024, 05:03:32 »
Sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2024, 05:07:39 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup:

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2024, 15:25:00 »
Great looking unit, if slightly heavier than typical. Mind walking us through the painting process?

Oh goodness, thanks! This was a learning process for me. I tried doing the zenithal(?) highlighting, with dark gray primer and some white drybrushing. Then I painted them blue, Steiner Blue speedpaint from the set iirc. After that I painted a few long stripes of lighter blue (army painter thunderstorm, I want to say) across them. In the whole process, I discovered I really enjoy playing with shades of blue. Later on, I would learn to dread painting in whites.

The next part is what almost made me throw them across the room: I tried painting a thin layer of white over some of them, then ended up switching to a liberal drybrushing of a thin white primer instead. That took me longer to sort out than I'm proud of admitting to, but it pulled together enough for me to do touch ups and highlights. Finally, I had the idea to do a few "Hellion stripes" in a bright medium blue, which is when I actually ended up liking them again. Decals and matte varnish finished them off, et voila.

I had initially planned on only doing the Kodiak (because, hey, Kodiaks are fun to paint) but in my zeal settled on doing a fully trinary. After muscling my way through the first five, that plan got paired back into a binary super fast. Perhaps I'll add a light star to them at a future point to even them out; after my memory fades on those long moments of staring at the Ice Ferret's tiny cockpit, questioning my life choices.

Here's a few closer pics of the Kodiak and the Black Lanner, the two that turned out the most how I hoped they would. Also it just needs to be said, but that Hellion logo is an absolute beauty to see on a mini.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2024, 16:03:00 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup:
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2024, 01:15:19 »
Thanks for that!  It worked really well. I might have done some more metallic details - eg. the Kodiak claws - but that's personal choice. I like the slightly unrealistic, 'enhanced realism' approach. The grey on the missile plates works very well!

I've done a fair bit of white lately; I find the best for drybushing is Citadel's Corax White base. It's thicker than their layers; I use a wide rounded brush, wipe about 12 times on a piece of cloth, then lightly apply. See also the Nova Cats I did a while back, white over camo colours.

Then I use Lifecolor's matt white - it's much thinner; I give it even more wipes on the cloth - for my 'ghostbrush' stage. This leave the whiter white primer (Corax White is slightly grey) on edges, not panels.

But work with what you can get; very creditable results, I'd love to see them across the table!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2024, 07:02:50 »
Very cool-looking (pun definitely not intended) scheme :cool:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Periphery_Blues

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2024, 14:35:55 »
That's a chillingly good set of mechs there!

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2024, 07:49:21 »
It was definitely worth investing that extra time.  These turned out great. They have a very strong Hellion vibe.