Author Topic: My Withdrawn Shrapnel Submission -- A Bebop Bastek  (Read 2133 times)

abou

• Captain
My Withdrawn Shrapnel Submission -- A Bebop Bastek
« on: 09 February 2022, 17:30:39 »
I wrote and submitted this short story to Shrapnel on May 31st, 2021. Watching the pace of approvals for submissions, I began to realize that it would be another year at minimum before review. I was sitting at #33 after 254 days. When I originally submitted I was at #52 in the queue. Waiting two years or more for my story to be approved or rejected seemed counterproductive. Also, at over 6k words, I was concerned they would reject it out of hand even though it was submitted before the reduced word limit.

Simply put, I cannot get better without feedback. And two years is too long for that process. So pulling this story from submission, in many ways, feels liberating. I don't have to worry any longer about what typos may still be hiding or whether it is what Shrapnel is looking for. I wanted to contribute to the universe, but out of frustration I just stopped caring because it has been putting other ideas on hold.

So what is this story about?

I grew up playing saxophone. When I nabbed a used copy of The Fox's Teeth so many years ago, the character of Larry Bastek stood out to me. It was only a few paragraphs, but here was a Wolf's Dragoons 'mechwarrior who played sax. I wanted to know more, but he disappeared. In the Wolf's Dragoons sourcebook, every character in that company was the same except for him: replaced by Kathy Keegan.

This story was an attempt to explain that with something other than, "And then he died," while tying together music with BattleTech in a way that hasn't been done.

I tried to do a lot in this story. I brought in my knowledge of the saxophone and jazz -- my admiration for John Coltrane in particular. I wanted to do interesting things with descriptions. I even used the same note from Mechwarrior 2 for the missile lock sound in a battle scene. And I wanted to give the reader a bit of a look into why a freeborn Clan 'mechwarrior would look the other way once given the freedom to do so. Hell, when you think about it, would the warrior caste-driven Clan society even allow for production of wind-instruments requiring complicated jigs, mandrils, and forms to make them?

In some world, there is an annotated version full of footnotes explaining everything and where certain phrases or ideas came from -- whether interviews with musicians, vids on YouTube of performances, a bit of King Crimson, or a line from Chapterhouse Dune. One important thing for me was including Coltrane's song "Alabama", which was a eulogy he composed for four African-American girls killed in a KKK church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama. If you know your BattleTech, you'll see where that comes into play.

So maybe this is great. Maybe it is terrible. I definitely wanted to do something different -- maybe cerebral... or self-important depending on your view. I had help from people to tighten up the story and edit it -- including some early work by Daryk here on the forum. So a big thanks to him. It really did help.

And thanks to you for reading, if you choose to. I hope the reformat for the forum didn't mess anything up.

abou

• Captain
Re: My Withdrawn Shrapnel Submission -- A Bebop Bastek
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2022, 17:31:26 »
Part I

Cerant City, An Ting
Galedon Military District, Draconis Combine
January 1, 3024

The day had been long. The odor of sweat and burnt ashqua still hung in the nose from the military exercises of the day. Yet, the hours in the cockpit and mountains of paperwork were behind him. Tonight, Larry Bastek could finally unwind. He felt as though he had been running in circles all day waiting for tonight. He brought his soprano saxophone to his mouth and warmed up with an exercise of a circle of fifths. Once feeling set, he turned to the rest of the band on stage and with a smile nodded that he was ready. Tonight they seemed particularly eager to jam for it was to be the first gig of the New Year.

Larry was a member of Wolf's Dragoons, the best damn mercenaries in the Inner Sphere. Shortly after they had started their contract with the Draconis Combine, he had gone out looking for a place to play on An Ting. The musicians he had found on the Dragoons’ new homeworld were more than willing to have him along for a jam session as long as he could pull his weight. Although his duty with the Dragoons kept him busy, he made the time.

The pianist played a concert A for the group to tune to -- 440 Hz, which had been the go-to pitch for so long its origins were LosTech.

Cigarette smoke combined with the dim lighting to cast a haze throughout the room. Red velour fabric dominated the upholstery. A susurration from the crowd carried up to the stage. Congregating around the bar were Larry’s CO, Captain Frank Woomack, and the rest of Woomack’s company; attached to Charlie battalion of Gamma Regiment of Wolf’s Dragoons. They were there to support him as well as have a night out. Servers dressed in black and white dashed back and forth between tables delivering drinks. One brought over a double of whiskey on the rocks and a water, handing it to Larry. He looked up and saw Captain Woomack with a glass raised to him; Larry did the same in a gesture of thanks. He took a sip, savored the burn and sweet taste of oak, and placed the glasses on a small table next to him just in time for the drummer to begin counting off.

"1...2... 1, 2, 2, 2!"

The band launched into the searingly fast classic “Mr. P.C.” As they locked together, Larry thought about how much he loved this sax. It was a straight-necked, Lyran-made horn he picked up a few years ago when the Dragoons had been contracted there. It had a larger bore than the previous sax he bought in Federated Suns space. Both had their issues with intonation; both were good horns; both had different sound qualities, but this one was a beast. It was like comparing a perfume to a Von Luckner tank: you could conquer a planet with this horn. His mouthpiece, made of glossy black hard rubber, was also a killer. He had found it in the Free Worlds League before everything went to hell there for the Dragoons. It had a slight, roll-over baffle for cut, but also a large chamber for fatness to the sound. He still remembered badgering a machinist buddy endlessly to reface it to get it just right.

The group played through the head of the song before breaking into solos. Larry took the first turn riding through the chord changes of the bop song. After so many years of practice he did not have to consciously count to know his place; rather he knew by feel. In all the excitement, however, he got lost this time. He took a moment, listened to the bass player, and covered his slip-up by playing a long note. When he heard the crucial V-I chord change -- the sound of coming home -- he knew where he was. He recovered and brought the solo to a boisterous conclusion. Applause and cheers for him from the Dragoons in the audience swelled.

After all the players had their turns soloing, there was a bridge where the band played phrases in unison, interspersed with drum fills, before ending the song in a cacophony of cymbal crashes and fluttering notes like missile explosions. The audience clapped and the band took the opportunity to drink some water before moving onto their next piece. It was a ballad, but of recent composition named “Siriwan’s Song”. Larry and the trumpet player weaved about each other with flowing lines rising and falling. Brushes on the snare gently complemented the melody. It was still a work in progress, but every time they played, it seemed closer to where the group wanted it. The club beyond the stage silently took it in. Save for a drunk patron in the back hollering for a song named after some damned bird.

Larry did his best to ignore the obnoxious drunkard and power on, but it was vexatious. For an instant, he attempted to identify the man, but he was in the shadows beyond the stage. When the group finished the ballad, they took a minute to talk to each other while the audience clapped. They bartered ideas back and forth before settling on the boisterous “Salt Peanuts” with the hope of playing louder than that distraction could yell. The drummer kicked it off on the cymbals and snare before slamming the bass drum. In came the snapping lick from the band with its octave intervals. After a few repeats, the drummer would again hit the bass followed by the band as a whole shouting, “Salt PEA-nuts, salt PEA-nuts!” The solo by the trumpet player was particularly vibrant. The phrases ending in notes that popped up as if jumping fleas making greater and greater leaps. Suddenly, almost in mimicry of the music, a bar stool flew across the club crashing against a wall.

Captain Woomack had enough of the drunkard and decided to personally sober him up. His pugilist skills on fine display, he dodged a punch, grabbed the offender by the collar with his left hand, and punched him in the face before throwing him across a table. The numbing effects of alcohol, however, meant the fight was not yet finished. The drunkard, nose bloodied and lip cut open, stood and snarled. He tackled Woomack. In the scuffle, the two men managed to bring down a server with them. Drinks flew in the air, chairs tipped, and tables flipped.

It was chaos.

With a bag of ice in hand, Larry walked up to Captain Woomack, who was sitting on the curb outside the club. He handed the bag to his captain, who placed it over his cheek and eye. Larry circled to his other side and sat down.

“That’s going to bruise nicely,” he said. “Thanks for the drink, by the way.”

The cool, nighttime An Ting air was a welcome change to the stagnant, smoke-filled atmosphere of the club. An outside light bathed them in a gentle sodium yellow, which contrasted with the blue and red lights from the parked ambulance.

“Yeah, you’re welcome. You were good tonight. A couple of years ago I wouldn’t have thought you’d be up there rockin’ it so hard. You really stood out tonight,” replied Woomack with a pained smile, before quietly speaking to himself , “Salt PEA-nuts. Salt PEA-nuts.”

Larry felt elated at the praise. “Thanks, I appreciate that.”

Leaning back on an elbow, Woomack replied, “Of course, you used to be pretty terrible.”

The pair laughed loudly at that.

“Unity!” Woomack exclaimed. “Do you remember that time Zoslow got so pissed at you because he couldn’t read his book with you honking and squeaking?”

“Zoslow has no idea how difficult anything is on a soprano saxophone.”

“Sure… that was it.”

And they laughed harder.

Behind them, they heard the squeaking of wheels followed by a clatter. They turned to look and saw the drunkard laid out in a stretcher, being wheeled by two EMTs, just as they lifted him over the curb. The jostling caused him to groan. He looked over and saw the two Dragoons. With defiance, he propped himself up on one arm and spit a blood clot and a broken tooth in their direction. Woomack retorted by flipping a long middle finger at him.

“So what did he say that set you off?” asked Larry.

A ragged sigh left Woomack before answering, “He was being an ass in general, so he had it coming. He started talking crap about all the players, but it was when he got to you that he crossed a line. That was about when I threw a stool his way. Bastard’s lucky I missed."

“Thanks for looking out for me.”

Clapping Larry on the back, Woomack smiled and said, “Hey, we’re Dragoons: we’re family.”

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2022, 17:32:05 »
Part II

Two days later, Larry slowly dressed for the morning. He then dragged himself down to the canteen for breakfast, but not even a good cup of coffee could get him moving any faster. The hangar lift to his ‘mech was a grace that saved him ascending a ladder. Climbing into the cockpit, he seated the neurohelmet onto his shoulders. Since it was a Dragoon model, it was less bulky and heavy than the average version used in the Inner Sphere -- another small grace for the day. Flipping a myriad of switches, even his Wolverine’s start-up sequence seemed lackadaisical. With effort he managed to move his ‘mech out into the field and join with his lancemates in the company's command lance.

The sky was a brilliant blue, without a cloud in sight, contrasting with the browns and reds of the rocky An Ting desert landscape. Spires of stone dotted the scenery, breaking up the vast flatland. As the sun rose into the sky, Larry knew it was going to be a hot day; his cockpit and coolant vest would shield him from that heat. He eventually came to a stop with the rest of his company. He leaned back in his command couch, closed his eyes, raised his hands, and in his mind’s eye practiced a piece he was learning. He was only vaguely aware of conversation happening over the comm.

“Hey captain, how’s that shiner?”

“Purple and tender. But don't worry, I’m still better looking than you.”

Absorbed in his practice, the chirping comm startled him. The voice of Larry’s lancemate, Mike Takata, chided him, “Hey Larry, wake up, man. This exercise isn’t going to run itself.”

Looking up he saw the rest of his lance moving ahead of him. He grabbed the controls and pushed the throttle to catch up. Everything felt sluggish, but knew it was truly him and not the machine. “Sorry, Mike.”

Lazy cabasas of battlemech footfalls on dirt and gravel played off the rocks as the company marched. Eventually, Captain Woomack stopped and called out to his company, “Alright, our goal in this exercise is to prevent the company of cadets from breaking through to the hangars. Their goal is to deliver a ‘package’ being carried by one of them. At least the DCMS procurement guys are giving us enough paintballs to practice today.”

“How generous of them,” replied James McLean, commander of the heavy lance. “Next thing you know, they might even give us enough toilet paper. I’m tired of crab walking.”

The whole company laughed until Woomack continued, “Careful now. That fop liaison officer Akuma might be listening. Anyway, the cadets have no idea where we are, only that we lie on their path back. They also do not know that we are going to ambush them, but hopefully they expect it. I plan on using the rocks to hide us. Heavy lance, I want you deployed to the left and ahead of us at Nav Alpha. Recon, I want you placed further off the path at Beta. Your goal is to flank them. Command lance with me at Gamma. We need to stop them in their tracks so heavy and recon can work their magic. Geiger, there is a choice rock formation here at Epsilon I want you behind. There is enough iron in those spires to fool with MAD, and it is just high enough to hide your Stinger. You can stand out of the cockpit hatch with binoculars. Let us know when they are coming.”

“Aff, captain.”

Four points on the tactical map lit up as Woomack finished, “Let’s make sure these cadets know what it means to be Dragoons!”

Following his lance, Larry joined with Captain Woomack in his Warhammer, Mike in his Thunderbolt, and Ihor Masnyk in his Phoenix Hawk. They stood quietly behind the spires and patiently waited. The cadets would be piloting Chameleon training ‘mechs that had far more weapons than heat sinks and relatively thin armor. They were designed to force cadets to watch their heat curve lest they drive their ‘mechs into shutdown at the wrong moment in a battle. While all the energy weapons were powered down and ammo bins filled with dummy rounds of paint for the day, the computers would be keeping track of damage and heat as if it were real. Despite the heat concerns, they were adroit machines at 50 tons. Equipped with jump jets giving them good maneuverability, they provided another lesson for young ‘mechwarriors on mobility in combat. For training purposes, the Dragoons maintained a full stable of the Chameleons: a rare accomplishment. Among the Great Houses, only the most well-funded war colleges could make the same boast.

Soon after the lances took up their spots, Steven Geiger reported seeing the cadets. “They are about five minutes out from you, captain. They are moving steadily, but slowly. Looks as though they expect an ambush.”

“Roger, Geiger. Let me know when they pass your position. Everyone get ready.”

Larry watched the seconds go by on his chronometer while he drummed a beat on the arms of his command couch. Three minutes later Geiger radioed again, “They just passed me. I’m strapping myself back in.”

Two minutes after that Woomack directed the command lance out into the middle of the path as the cadets closed to less than 700 meters. Upon clearing the rocks, warnings sounded disonantly in Larry’s cockpit as “enemy” targeting systems locked on and the HUD filled with twelve ‘mechs. Soon after Takata launched his long-range missiles at the advancing cadets. Woomack and Larry followed with PPC and autocannon fire.

The sounds and sights of combat jolted Larry. Although pretend, the release of adrenaline finally allowed him to shake off his torpor. His movements sharpened, the fog lifted from his mind, and he finally felt awake.

The return fire from the cadets culminated in poorly aimed laser attacks that would have only glassed the sand if they were at full power. Masnyk’s large laser, however, managed to score a direct strike on the midsection of one of the Chameleons. Weapons fire was fast and free in the opening exchanges. As the distance closed, the cadets were beginning to score hits on the command lance, but the difference in skill continued to show. The veteran Dragoons constantly side-stepped and weaved to avoid shots, as if dancing to a beat only the experienced could hear. Then the rear of the cadet column suddenly stopped and turned. Heavy and recon lances had closed the trap catching the cadets between all three lances.

The cadets seemed confused and their responses were erratic -- pausing then firing at whatever target they could. One did manage to peg Larry with a large laser that burned into his ‘mech’s left arm. His computer simulated the damage, but there was still plenty of armor. In reply, he fired his autocannon, the range and heat profile of which was ideal for desert combat. The training shells stippled the head of the Chameleon with green paint across the cockpit glass, stunning the cadet. Larry wondered if the cadet would realize that the sensors a ‘mech carried more than made up for the loss of cockpit visibility. Using the opportunity, he closed the distance and fired his short-range missile rack mounted on top of the left shoulder. Four of the six missiles hit, splattering more paint across the arms and torso; a split second pause before adding his medium laser. Heat rose in his cockpit as he fired it, but the Wolverine was an overall cool-running machine. The laser burned into the right arm. Having made his mark, he backed off a bit to cool down.

As the battle continued, something clicked in the cadets’ strategy. Although still taking the worst of it in the exchange and having lost three of their own, they organized their fire by concentrating on targets. Anderson’s Locust took several bad hits; its light armor no match for the lasers of the Chameleons. Van Zyl’s Crusader succumbed to a simulated ammunition explosion. Panher’s Wolverine took enough shots to the right side that he had lost his arm and accompanying autocannon. And Masnyk ended up with a fused hip in his Phoenix Hawk, leaving him with only his jump jets for mobility. By jumping and spraying his machine guns, he hoped to make himself a hard target -- until a clumsy landing on the opposite knee put an end to that tactic. In response to the casualties of his company, Woomack ordered them to tighten the noose on the cadets lest they break out.

Just when it seemed that the fight was hitting a tipping point and the cadets would collapse under the pressure, three rushed toward the command lance. The leading pair screened the majority of weapons fire for the third. One then collapsed from a seized leg. The second and third cadets, with only 60 meters to go before colliding with the captain and Takata, fired their short-range weapons and initiated their jump jets. They leaped over the battle line landing behind their veteran opponents. The second cadet turned and fired, covering for the third, who immediately ran for cover and ducked behind a rock formation.

“Bastek!” Captain Woomack’s voice bellowed on the comm. “That cadet must be the one carrying the package. You’re currently in the best position to intercept.”

Without hesitation, Larry turned around and trusted his lance to protect his flank. “On it, Captain!”

As he passed the cadet that had stayed behind to cover the other’s escape, he fired his laser and missiles. He aimed hastily and missed the Chameleon, but could not wait to see its response. Instead he pushed his throttle to the max. On the flat terrain, his run could reach 86 km/h. It was slower than the Chameleon’s, but he knew the heat build-up would be taking a toll on the cadet’s speed. There was a quick chirp in his right ear. He looked at his radar. A caret showed on his display briefly before disappearing. Then it reappeared.

The cadet Chameleon was using the rocks for cover on their escape to the hangar. Larry smiled at the good use of terrain by the cadet. Running hard, he pulled up parallel with his prey. He fired his pistol-mounted autocannon. The salvo was a near miss as the cadet ducked behind a spire, the rock exploding into gravel and dust. There were plenty of kilometers left, but they were traversing them quickly. He pushed down on his foot pedals, ignited his jump jets, and landed behind the cadet. He maintained his rhythm and was running as soon as he touched the ground. He fired his medium laser, which burned directly into the back between the ‘mech’s hunched shoulders.

The autocannon reloaded with the sound of a drum as the shells chambered. He raised his arm to fire, but the cadet had other plans in mind. The Chameleon’s jump jets ignited, propelling it to the left. In mid-air it turned and fired its small lasers and machine guns. The range was long for those knife-fighting weapons, yet they still connected. Dummy bullets bounced off Larry’s cockpit glass. The ‘mech landed facing its original direction and continued its flight to the hangar.

“Damn, that was good,” Larry said to himself with surprise.

The comm chirped over Woomack’s company frequency, “Bastek, have you stopped that cadet?”

“Not yet, cap’. Working on it.”

Again stomping the pedals and burning his jets, he jumped inline with the Chameleon. His trajectory would have placed him just behind it, but the cadet came to a full stop as soon as the Wolverine left the ground. Instead, the cadet now had an open view of Larry’s backside. Before he could do anything, two medium lasers lashed his back nearly exposing vital components. Another hit there could end this exercise. As he turned his ‘mech to face his opponent, he saw in his 360° view that the Chameleon dipped behind a cluster of rocks.

Larry paused for a moment. The cadet had made a sound decision by disengaging. The Chameleon had to be boiling at this point. It needed time to cool down, to bleed off the excess heat that would affect the myomer musculature and computer processors. After all, it needed speed to escape. However, in the attempt the cadet had positioned themselves away from the hangar. It was tempting to continue to chase the cadet, but they had shown themself to be cunning. There was too much risk the Chameleon would simply bolt to the opposite side as soon as he made his move.

“Sorry, pal, I’m not in a mood to run circles today.”

Backing away from the rocks, he put himself well outside the jump radius of the Chameleon. His own heat had climbed but was nothing compared to that of the cadet’s ‘mech. Flipping to infrared, he saw the heat eddying from below the rocks. The waves stood out brightly against even the desert heat, and marked the ‘mech. As he waited, the radiating behind the rocks decreased steadily. When it matched the ambient temperature, he knew the cadet would soon make a move. Waiting any longer would only invite the possibility for the rest of Woomack’s company to arrive and corner it. And there was not enough armor for a stand-up fight against the Wolverine. There was only one option.

When the Chameleon broke from cover, it was to Larry’s left at an over 90 km/h sprint. He worked to track it. His targeting reticule briefly flashed from red to green, but not to the warm gold of a lock. He just could not turn fast enough. He pivoted and gave chase, the gap widening as the seconds ticked by. He fired his autocannon, but missed his quarry. He fired his missiles, but they too missed, exploding paint around the feet of the fleet ‘mech. His medium laser connected only to graze the left shoulder. The chase continued, but the cadet did not retaliate. Their goal was only to make it to the hangar to deliver the package and victory.

A small plateau jutting from the desert blocked their flight. Rather than slow, the cadet vaulted the Chameleon over to the other side. Reading the distance, Larry knew he could not clear it, but jumped anyway. Landing atop the plateau he skittered a few scant meters from the opposite edge. He then saw the hangar and was shocked that they both had covered so much ground in so little time. There was no way he could catch up with the cadet, who was almost to safety.

"Bastek!" again called the captain, "what is your status?"

He did not answer. Instead, he planted his right foot forward and raised his autocannon. He aimed at the back of the fleeing cadet. His reticule seemingly refused to change from red to green until by force of will it finally did.

The cadet advanced closer to the hangar.

Green to gold, then green again. The distance increased. The finish line that much closer.

“Bastek, report!”

The reticule finally turned gold and stayed gold with the sweet tone of a high G#. He fired the autocannon. A quintuplet staccato beat rang out with shells impacting the rear centerline of the Chameleon. Paint stippled the back of the ‘mech. It went limp and fell face-forward plowing the earth. Simulated or not, at the speed of a full-out run nothing was quite like a gyro hit.

As Larry jumped from the plateau and started running toward the downed cadet, Woomack called again. “Bastek! Status?”

“Cadet is down, captain. It was a hard fall. Checking now.”

“Good work. Keep me updated.”

Physical combat was prohibited in training sessions; only dummy rounds and powered down lasers were utilized. Despite these precautions, accidents could happen. Injuries could happen. Mechwarriors trained for falls, but they could still cause a concussion or worse. The last thing Larry wanted on his conscience was an injured cadet. His heart was racing so hard it thumped like a bass drum in his ears. He did not even feel this way before gigs anymore. He opened a direct channel.

“Cadet! Cadet, are you hurt?”

It was a nervous moment before her response came through. It was strained and raspy, "I'm okay. Just had the wind knocked out of me, sir."

He breathed a sigh of relief and his bunched shoulder muscles relaxed, "Good." He changed frequency and radioed the captain. "She's okay, cap. Target successfully intercepted."

"Nicely done. Drinks on me tonight. Disengaging training protocols."

Larry subconsciously turned his mech to face the cadet in the downed Chameleon. "Think you can stand?"

Her voice was firmer, more stable now. "My world is spinning a bit, but I can," she replied, and the mech's movements matched the voice as it rose. The front revealed scuffed paint, torn armor, and cracked canopy glass. Larry felt a pang in his chest when he saw the damage. After all, she was a Dragoon.

"Those were some nice moves out there,” Larry said. “If you weren't in a training ‘mech, I would have been in a lot of trouble. What's your name?"

Despite the digitization of her voice over the comm, Larry could hear the smile she wore. "Kathy. Kathy Keegan."

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2022, 17:33:00 »
Part III

Taking two sure-footed steps up to the microphone stand, Larry grabbed it with his left hand. He bent down slightly toward the microphone and prepared to speak. Just before he began, someone in the crowd whistled and cheered.

“Yeah! Go, Larry!”

A large cohort of Dragoons -- even more than just Woomack’s company -- filled the nightclub.

He smiled to himself with the knowledge that the practiced line he was about to say would be groan-inducing. “Now for a classic piece. And this one is called ‘Loose Walk’, or… ‘Walk Loosely’.” He cocked an eyebrow and nodded sagely to himself in a self-effacing way.

The expected groans and laughs followed.

Larry readied himself as the drummer counted in. The up-tempo song began with a lead-in where the group played in unison before going into the main melody, their sound filling the whole nightclub. With fast sticks,the drummer crashed on the cymbals. The bassist kept time while climbing up and down chords. The trumpet blasted the audience. Tonight the group was here to play. And they did so with gusto.

Larry took the first solo. His soprano bell pointed toward the audience firing aural artillery. The sound he belted out was broad and muscular. The music took hold of him, and he started playing a simple two note lick that accented the downbeats. The rhythm section followed and started echoing him. It was spontaneous, but the effect was like that of a fusion-powered metronome: a circular, positive feedback loop. The enthusiasm overtook the trumpet player, who let out a primal howl.

He felt it. Whatever it was. Larry had no idea, but he felt it. It registered at the bottom of his spine. The whole band must have felt it, too. Their solos were just as on fire as his. They then came together for the bridge, which was separated into two parts by rollicking drum fills, before coming back to the melody to close out the song. When they finished, the crowd in the nightclub burst into applause and cheers. As the claps washed over them, all he could think to himself was how he could not stop buzzing with energy. It was a rush he had not felt since he first learned how to pilot a battlemech.

The next week, alone in his room at the barracks, Larry turned on his audio player and brought his soprano to his mouth. First came in the drummer playing a samba pattern on a high hat. When the bass joined in with a smooth groove, the drummer added the snare drum. Finally, the rest of the group came in playing a flowing melody that repeated while also adding to itself. Despite the simplicity, the underlying motion of the rhythm section propelled the song and the intensity of the guitars and winds made it intoxicating to play.

The head of the song gave way to keening sax licks with jaunty, loudly strummed guitar blasts.  It was a free jazz detour of dissonance and experimentation where chords no longer mattered. In some respects refreshing and liberating, but in others terrifying breaking through to the other side of the musical unknown. It required a conceptual shift from the traditional jazz the group had been playing. Entitled “Sailor’s Tale”, Larry remembered the drummer excitedly showing it off to the group. It reminded him of how he felt during a Dragoon “downloading” maneuver.

As he tried to improvise in a way that matched the wailing style of the piece, Larry became frustrated. He kept falling back on old habits and muscle memory developed over the years of practice. His bag of tricks just did not work. He took a step away, put down his horn, and headed off to the canteen for a drink. He knew he had a bad habit of working at something relentlessly until he made it worse. Walking away and coming at a different angle of attack later often helped.

Bright lights illuminated the canteen where groups of Dragoons mingled in packs. Low murmurs carried across the room from conversations. As he walked up to the bar, he waved at those he knew. He grabbed a cup, filled it with ice, and chose a random flavored seltzer. As he made for the door, he saw Cadet Kathy Keegan seated off to the side by herself. She was reading a book with a steaming cup of coffee on the table. As she reached for the cup, she saw him and waved.

In the weeks since the training scenario, Larry got to know Kathy. Driven by the guilt that the fall had injured her, he would check in on her. She was coy about the exact nature of her injury, but she was on strict rest. He assumed it was a concussion; hopefully a mild one. He also found her to be a good conversationalist. She was brought into Wolf’s Dragoons as a teenager during the 3019/3020 supply run. If there was any regret about leaving home, she did not show it. Like so many other Dragoons, she was excited to be in the Inner Sphere living a life and exploring opportunities she would never have been able to previously.

That last thought stuck in his mind. His steps seemed to pause for a second before continuing. He nodded, smiled, and walked over to Kathy. He sat down at the seat opposite her, “Hey, how are you?”

“I’m good. Doctors cleared me a couple of days ago.” She leaned forward and whispered  conspiratorially, “I’ve also been hearing I might be up for graduation soon. Some of the company commanders have been interviewing me. I think to fill empty slots. Not sure what I did to stick out from the other cadets, but I’ll take it.”

Offering congratulations, Larry knew her modesty was misplaced. He and the others in Woomack’s company reviewed the after-action report of the mock battle. The cadets did indeed expect an ambush, but even being prepared for it did not prevent panic from setting in. It was Kathy who organized and guided them like a conductor. It was her plan to rush the lines and get the package through. Her maneuvers during the chase only added to her résumé. She would make an excellent Dragoon.

The time seemed to fly. Larry spent an hour talking with Kathy before he excused himself to get back to practicing. He was excited about her prospects in the Dragoons and the talk helped him to clear his head of the frustrations and the paradigm shift of free jazz. He picked up his saxophone and removed the reed, which he placed in his mouth to moisten it again. He sat down and looked over to where his notes were on the ever elusive “Giant Steps”. Next to it was a picture of the twelve musical notes in a circle with lines drawn on it and circumscribing marks. A five-pointed star connected five of those notes related to each other in the scale. He found it in a book he had acquired years ago. The mandala pattern jumped out to him just as it did a thousand years ago to the creator of it: a sacred, sonic geometry. He replaced his saxophone with the sheet and looked it over again as he had a hundred times before.

This time, epiphany seized Larry. He turned and walked with a sure-footed stride out of the room and down the barracks hall. He stopped outside Captain Woomack’s office door. He took a sharp, deep breath -- the way he would before blowing into his sax -- and knocked on the door.

“Come in,” came the response from the other side.

Beuller, Robinson
Draconis March, Federated Suns
December 31 3029

The periphery of the room was darkened. In the center lay a circle of light containing a pianist, bassist, and drummer. Larry stood in the door. It had been years since he felt this nervous before a performance, but this gig was different. The almost six years since leaving the Dragoons to pursue his craft had been fulfilling. The years had also given way to alarm as news about the bitter feud between the Draconis Combine and Dragoons reached him. The fighting had spiraled into further and further violence on multiple worlds. A conflict he was not physically present for, but felt reverberate in his being with agony.

He remembered the conversation he had with Captain Woomack. He had expressed his desire to leave the Dragoons to pursue music. Exclamations of Unity! among several more flew fast from the captain. Questions about “Why now?” Questions about why he would leave. Questions about why he would quit being a mechwarrior -- especially considering where they came from. He stood firm.

Woomack did not want to see him go. He could not deny that the opportunity presented to make music was one that never could have been possible had they not come to the Inner Sphere, but Larry was family. The captain tried one last time to convince him otherwise, saying that they would be short a mechwarrior just before the Dragoons would be going on a series of raids. Larry offered that Kathy would be more than capable of stepping up and taking his place -- in fact, he would even bequeath his Wolverine to her. Sighing heavily, the captain finally acquiesced and said he would talk to Major Dumont and Colonels Wolf and Korsht.

Although Korsht seemed to empathize with him, she and Dumont, his superiors in Gamma regiment, were not happy in the least. Colonel Wolf, however, was supportive. Larry still remembered how Wolf’s eyes matched the smile beneath that thick, sharp beard. Even more surprising to him was Wolf's confession about his bandmates. WolfNet, the Dragoon surveillance corps had kept tabs on his bandmates in case they were members of the Draconis Combine Internal Security Forces. Much to his relief, they were not. Wolf, though, was keenly aware of his interests and drive for music. The Dragoons would use their resources to let Larry leave without alerting the Combine -- both to protect him and his soon-to-be former bandmates. They would take him to the FedSuns and drop him off during one of the upcoming raids -- an alias would be necessary, of course. He was also free to return to the Dragoons whenever he wanted, and through WolfNet they would check on him from time to time. It would be even better if he could provide him with a ground view of things in the Federated Suns. After all, the Dragoons were a pack that looked out for one another.

WolfNet executed their job so precisely and cleanly that Larry’s departure had gone unnoticed. A later report of Woomack’s company raiding Udibi in late 3027 had erroneously listed him as participating, despite having been gone for almost three years by that point.

That was then; now was different. The fighting against the Combine had spilled much Dragoon blood. The survivors had found refuge on Robinson. As Larry stepped toward the light at the center of the room, he saw Kathy. She was thankfully alive, but injured so severely she would likely never pilot a ‘mech again. Next to her were the only other survivors of Woomack’s company: Kaneko and Target. The fighting on Harrow's Sun and Crossing claimed the rest -- Captain Woomack included. For the whole of Wolf's Dragoons, it was much the same. So many friends now dust.

Larry joined the rest of his bandmates nodding to them. They met early in his travels through FedSun space. Secrets remained secrets, but they followed him without hesitation to Robinson once he revealed his past employment with the Dragoons. They talked long about what their setlist would be tonight, but only one seemed appropriate to start with: a piece titled “Alabama”. It was an ancient composition -- a eulogy to young women killed in animus by a bombing.

He spoke to the crowd, “For those lost,” his voice catching, “on the Hephaestus.”

The lights dimmed even further. Shadows hid the faces of the audience. Dust motes flickered in the soft light that illuminated the band. He breathed deeply and exhaled. He thought of a line from an ancient book he read about worms and spice -- another Inner Sphere luxury. Silently he mouthed, “Feed us with jazz.”

The piano started playing -- its rumble a gathering of storm clouds rolling across the sky. Larry entered with a mournful, rubato melody. The drummer and bassist followed, building the layers of the piece. They paused together for a moment with silence hanging in the air. A pickup beat to lead in before the group broke into a slow ballad. Then there was another pause to return to the main melody that somehow became even more somber; more forlorn. Then the V-I. As he pulled his saxophone from his mouth, he sniffled.

He may no longer be a ‘mechwarrior, but he was back with family. He was home. He had completed his own circle.

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2022, 18:57:21 »
Bravo.

As a wannabe guitar player, I love the music references and Bop/Hard Bop is my favorite Jazz style.  Gonna have to listen to some Trane on the way home tonight.

Added: John Coltrane and his quartet performing Alabama in 1963: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saN1BwlxJxA
« Last Edit: 09 February 2022, 23:38:07 by Known Glitch »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2022, 21:01:39 »
I may not know music, but I like the story
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2022, 19:06:34 »
Shrapnel's loss our gain. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2022, 23:14:17 »
great story, very good ideas
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2022, 07:15:11 »
  Thanks for sharing your jazzy vision of a dragoon’s life. Larry has the feel of a Ghost Bear warrior to me. Well how I imagine a GB mech warrior to be.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

abou

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2022, 19:53:36 »
First, thank you guys for reading!

Second, I'm really glad to see a positive reception -- especially for trying something different. That is definitely encouraging me to keep at it and exploring my ideas. And while there is a twinge of regret for not being patient with Shrapnel, I think in the end I'm happier that it is getting read rather than sitting on a digital shelf just waiting.

Thanks for sharing your jazzy vision of a dragoon’s life. Larry has the feel of a Ghost Bear warrior to me. Well how I imagine a GB mech warrior to be.
That isn't an angle I was thinking about, but in a way it makes total sense. My friend that is a Ghost Bear fan agreed when I mentioned this.

Bravo.

As a wannabe guitar player, I love the music references and Bop/Hard Bop is my favorite Jazz style.  Gonna have to listen to some Trane on the way home tonight.
I am definitely glad that a fellow musician enjoyed it. Afterall, Bebop is best bop!

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2022, 19:56:15 »
I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2022, 08:04:32 »
I wrote and submitted this short story to Shrapnel on May 31st, 2021. Watching the pace of approvals for submissions, I began to realize that it would be another year at minimum before review. I was sitting at #33 after 254 days. When I originally submitted I was at #52 in the queue. Waiting two years or more for my story to be approved or rejected seemed counterproductive.

I feel ya, my friend. I've had one story published which took about a year, and currently have another submitted for going on 8 months or thereabouts, and it's still only #36 or so in the queue.

While many pro publications like Asimov's or Clarkesworld have "slush readers" to go through submissions and quickly winnow out the rejects, the Shrapnel queue only see to advance when an issue comes out, so I think the editorial team doesn't look at subs all that regularly.

I think if you're a regular and/or a name they can sell the process is going to go faster but for the rest of us, yeah, looks like a 2-3 year wait from submission to potential publication. In another thread I likened it to being George Harrison in the Beatles: no matter how good your stuff it'll be a battle to get it into print. I'm like you; I've written a few stories, thought about letting them gather dust for a few years waiting for approval and let my impatience get the better of me. My AO3 page is a testament to that, lol.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

abou

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2022, 21:37:38 »
I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing!
And thanks for giving it a read!

I feel ya, my friend. I've had one story published which took about a year, and currently have another submitted for going on 8 months or thereabouts, and it's still only #36 or so in the queue.

While many pro publications like Asimov's or Clarkesworld have "slush readers" to go through submissions and quickly winnow out the rejects, the Shrapnel queue only see to advance when an issue comes out, so I think the editorial team doesn't look at subs all that regularly.

I think if you're a regular and/or a name they can sell the process is going to go faster but for the rest of us, yeah, looks like a 2-3 year wait from submission to potential publication. In another thread I likened it to being George Harrison in the Beatles: no matter how good your stuff it'll be a battle to get it into print. I'm like you; I've written a few stories, thought about letting them gather dust for a few years waiting for approval and let my impatience get the better of me. My AO3 page is a testament to that, lol.
I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling frustrated. It definitely feels as though more than enough room is being made in Shrapnel for established authors rather than bringing in new blood. I also feel irritated that I spent so much time editing and going over my story out of concern that it could be rejected because of excessive typos... only to see another Pardoe story published as if it was written by by a high schooler without having been proofread.

So yeah, ****** it.

I will check out your AO3 page though. Interested to see your perspective on the IP.

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2022, 23:08:49 »
Reading this, I was wondering if you have or would consider watching Gundam Thunderbolt; it uses different music genres to characterize the two opposing main characters; one is freeform jazz, the other is 1950s-esque pop.