Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition  (Read 150584 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition
« Reply #630 on: 19 January 2020, 20:18:54 »
Why not play half court with it?

TT
j/k of course...
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #631 on: 19 January 2020, 21:14:06 »
Yeah, I had the same question: what good is half when it means we have to buy two maps.
At the very least they could have had the half circle of equals be the reverse side of two different maps, so we don't have to actually get a duplicate map to have a full circle of equals.

I guess the good news is it means it'll be fairly large and have room to move around in.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #632 on: 19 January 2020, 21:28:57 »
The cool thing about playing BattleTech in person is that it usually requires two people, each of whom may want a map of Strana Mechty.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #633 on: 19 January 2020, 21:49:06 »
Why not play half court with it?

TT
j/k of course...
please, if i'm fighting the Clans, it's full court jungle ball, or nothing.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #634 on: 20 January 2020, 03:03:57 »
Another thing to consider: the neoprene mats are basically two BattleTech maps side by side - the previews shown in the kickstarter are 31x17 hexes, plus a half-hex row on either edge of the map. The mats have been described at this size since the first set were produced as well. They're really designed for lance-level games.

To put a circle of equals on one mat, it'd either need to be 17x17, with a ton of space outside the circle: Which is definitely an option like the Steiner Stadium map from Solaris VII, but it's also a pretty small fighting space with no real space to manoeuvre.  At 17 hexes across you're basically going to be at medium range for most big guns after you move on turn 1. The second option is more of an oval of equals, which would use the space better but also not be much of a circle.

Further, the description from the kickstarter was that this was a space used for grand melees, and 17x17 (or an oval 32 at its longest and 17 at its widest points) is going to be really crowded for that kind of fight.  There'll still be space outside the map on the 2-mat circle of equals, but not as much
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #635 on: 20 January 2020, 07:45:51 »
What about neoprene?  KS only?
It was hinted at "convention only" status. So, similar to one of the Grasslands neoprene maps.
liber et infractus

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #636 on: 20 January 2020, 07:48:24 »
Norway. So I pay 25% VAT on top of everything else. And then a customs fee (easily another 30+ USD) if I don't do all the paperwork myself (which requires knowing the name of the company that does the actual shipping).
But as a Norwegian, you'd be part of the EFTA economical zone. Distributions from EU warehouses should not fall under import tax regulations.
liber et infractus

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #637 on: 20 January 2020, 09:43:12 »
got my canon character survey last night

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #638 on: 20 January 2020, 09:57:10 »
No, I'm the one who misread. *grumbles and antes up another $30* The heck is anyone supposed to do with half of a circle of equals?

Shoot 3 pointers.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #639 on: 20 January 2020, 10:00:33 »
got my canon character survey last night

Just finished my character survey before anyone got to work this morning.  Now to wait five years and find out what happens!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #640 on: 20 January 2020, 10:06:30 »
Shoot 3 pointers.

do clanners call their own fouls?

Just finished my character survey before anyone got to work this morning.  Now to wait five years and find out what happens!

five years would be great! i was anticipating a posthumous delivery to my daughter years after my death.

i'm in the middle of taking my reference photos now. truely a face for radio.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #641 on: 20 January 2020, 10:35:41 »
The cool thing about playing BattleTech in person is that it usually requires two people, each of whom may want a map of Strana Mechty.

Only fair, each player gets to pick their half.
Player1: I choose the Circle of Equals for my half.
Player2: I choose...Ishiyama.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #642 on: 20 January 2020, 10:40:36 »
you're a monster

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #643 on: 20 January 2020, 11:00:24 »
Which of the four parts of the Ishiyama map?  :D
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #644 on: 20 January 2020, 11:16:38 »
Which of the four parts of the Ishiyama map?  :D

i found another one.

also, having never taken selfies in my entire life, this reference photo thing is a trip through hell  ;D

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #645 on: 20 January 2020, 11:21:19 »
for those who already got the surveys.
How high is the credit for the char buyback option?
If it is too high, I actually have to consider using it. Getting a char as a collateral side effect is one thing, having explicit money in it is another. ;)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #646 on: 20 January 2020, 13:24:32 »
buyback is $150 - either credit to the KS or the CGL webstore.

i had toyed with metagaming the character creation to better appeal to a more likely to appear. instead i stuck with my original concept from the 90s and will almost certainly not get what i want  :))

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #647 on: 20 January 2020, 13:27:14 »
buyback is $150 - either credit to the KS or the CGL webstore.

i had toyed with metagaming the character creation to better appeal to a more likely to appear. instead i stuck with my original concept from the 90s and will almost certainly not get what i want  :))

What?  A pre-FRR Rasalhague rebel modeled on Vlad Tepes that does you know what to captured Drac soldiers?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #648 on: 20 January 2020, 13:29:16 »
that sounds like a villain i'd make now. i was a bit more straight-laced in the 90s

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #649 on: 20 January 2020, 14:34:35 »
Just saw the new update for the T-shirts. Call me impressed! I can't wait to display my diamond Shark.  8)

Two things now:
- will those T-shirts be washer friendly or will the logos disintegrate after a couple pass in the machine like most concert T-shirts?  :bang:
- As a Ristar, I already downloaded the 3 wallpapers, 3 digital novellas, the proliferation cycle and one of five scenarios. Did any more digital items got released? If not, any previsions like after wave 1 or 2?

Anyway, I wish I had more money available, those T-shirts would be my normal sunday wear.  :D

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #650 on: 20 January 2020, 14:44:43 »
Wash your t-shirts on cold and inside out.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #651 on: 20 January 2020, 14:45:29 »
- will those T-shirts be washer friendly or will the logos disintegrate after a couple pass in the machine like most concert T-shirts?  :bang:

Going by past T-Shirt quality: the logo will stay on for years. So far, CGL's T-Shirts have been high quality and even my oldest one looks like new (and I wear them regularly). I assume the same quality for the Kickstarter-T-Shirts.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #652 on: 20 January 2020, 15:03:34 »
Just saw the new update for the T-shirts. Call me impressed! I can't wait to display my diamond Shark.  8)

Two things now:
- As a Ristar, I already downloaded the 3 wallpapers, 3 digital novellas, the proliferation cycle and one of five scenarios. Did any more digital items got released? If not, any previsions like after wave 1 or 2?

Anyway, I wish I had more money available, those T-shirts would be my normal sunday wear.  :D

Yeah, I bought the Red Duke one, no problems so far . . . huh, the Update is out a day early?  *reads*  Oh wow, they are going to try to give us 1 a day for the week!  Not sure I like the eye on the Wolf instead of it being a solid color.  Otherwise they look very good and I might have to add a bit more $ to my PM now to get a IS shirt!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #653 on: 20 January 2020, 15:04:56 »
Going by past T-Shirt quality: the logo will stay on for years. So far, CGL's T-Shirts have been high quality and even my oldest one looks like new (and I wear them regularly). I assume the same quality for the Kickstarter-T-Shirts.

To add to this: according to the comment section on Kickstarter they are using the same company for the shirts they have been using for 8 years. So, yeah, quality will be as awesome as all the other BattleTech-T-Shirts I have.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #654 on: 20 January 2020, 16:18:21 »
Hey more visuals on the wave 1 stuff before the deadline like I hoped. All week even.

And $150 for the buy back? Is that just for the ones with art so far? I would greatly take $150 for more stuff over my name in a phonebook, but I would suspect those of us with just a listing might not get as much store credit.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #655 on: 20 January 2020, 16:22:39 »
$150 was my option at Galaxy Commander. Unsure how it works at lower tiers

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #656 on: 20 January 2020, 17:02:54 »
I went from Bloodnamed to Star Colonel during the PM so I don’t expect any word for another few days.

Finally had the money to pay the rest of the difference last week so I made a tentative lock in and payment then before the manager closed.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2020, 17:04:41 by shivanwurm »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #657 on: 20 January 2020, 18:34:32 »
Those logos all look fantastic!  ...as long as you don't include the Jade Falcon.  It's not to the point of being bad, just that whatever they're going for isn't really working in my opinion.

Wash your t-shirts on cold and inside out.

And never put them in the drier. They'll last way longer.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

General308

• Captain
« Reply #658 on: 20 January 2020, 18:36:03 »
Those logos all look fantastic!  ...as long as you don't include the Jade Falcon.  It's not to the point of being bad, just that whatever they're going for isn't really working in my opinion.

And never put them in the drier. They'll last way longer.
I don't know.  I am kind of like the Jade Falcon one.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #659 on: 20 January 2020, 18:42:50 »
it's the jeweling effect. My impression is that its uneven distribution from almost non existent to hard big facets doesn't really work out.
The others while differing between designs, have more consistency in distribution per design.
From looking at it, I would guess they where going for the look of a polished inner area but without more color depth or actual reflectiveness that doesn't come across as well.
I think the surface is intended to be similar to the steel viper, but there the effect of the polished surface works better.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2020, 18:46:57 by Asgo »

Register