21 (15.2%)
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf)
62 (44.9%)
UrbanMech
2 (1.4%)
Commando
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: Most Iconic Mech  (Read 2773 times)

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • They said "Risk" was a long game
Most Iconic Mech
« on: 27 March 2024, 11:32:19 »
Which one is the most iconic?
« Last Edit: 27 March 2024, 15:43:55 by Gray_Noton_4lfe »
Corporal: Were under attack general.
General: who's attacking?
Corporal: Those 25 Urbanmech Mechwarriors you offended last week on Solaris.
General: That's....unfortunate. Could you remind me what I said to offend them?
Corporal: You said their Urbanmechs look like Locust-1Vs Sir.
General: ahh... I remember now.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Re: Most Iconic Mech
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2024, 13:13:11 »
Timber Wolf should be on this list.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2024, 13:23:58 »
Absolutely the Timby for me, and I'm not even a Clan player. With the Warhammer and Marauder as numbers 2 and 3.
Jude Melancon lives!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2024, 13:28:23 »
Locust why?
I have spoken.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2024, 13:41:17 »
Add the Timber Wolf and it's very much 'all the above' with  maybe the exception of the Locust.

The Locust is popular within the community and in universe but hasn't been on too many cover spreads. The other choices have all been on game boxes, novels, books, t-shirts and even memes. The Marauder and Warhammer where the two icons of the game through the 80's as the Timber Wolf and Atlas through the 90's and early 00's. The Awesome just sums up Battletechs design philosophy and you can id the era by the Battlemaster used in the art. No matter if it's unseen or reseen, you know it's a Battlemaster.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

thesilverback

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2024, 13:53:42 »
Warhammer above all.
6th Federated Suns Armored Cavalry (Hillbillies with Guns)

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2024, 14:10:48 »
The Phoenix Hawk, the Wasp, the Rifleman and the Stinger should be on this list. So should the Orion, the Highlander, the Zeus X, the Black Knight (especially the BL-9) and the King Crab.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2024, 14:15:47 »
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) added

General308

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2024, 15:11:43 »
I went with Atlas.  Because it was the face of the game for a long time.  I understand why people picked the Warhammer.  I just refused to go with a Robotech design.  If the most Iconic mech in your universe is a borrowed mech then you haven't done a good job of growing your universe in my opinion.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2024, 15:16:58 »
I went with Atlas.  Because it was the face of the game for a long time.  I understand why people picked the Warhammer.  I just refused to go with a Robotech design.  If the most Iconic mech in your universe is a borrowed mech then you haven't done a good job of growing your universe in my opinion.

Well said. Atlas has been on boxes and covers since the beginning, is still going, and is immediately recognizable as “Battletech”. It never had the “unseen” issue like the Warhammer. The Timber Wolf/Mad Cat would be my runner up, another original creation that is immediately recognizable as Battletech.

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2024, 17:44:18 »
Also went with the Mad Cat, since I started in the early 90’s and the Mad Cat was on the cover of the Battletech Compendium of the time. (See my avatar!)

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2024, 18:40:54 »
I'd say the Mad Cat is more iconic since the 90s and onward.  The Atlas seems to be the poster-boy of 1986+, while sadly the Warhammer and Marauder were iconic for a limited time, 1984-1996.  Even though I'm a Spheroid :P
« Last Edit: 27 March 2024, 23:57:47 by Sapphirus »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2024, 18:59:49 »
It was a tossup between the Atlas and Timberwolf for me. So I went with the Atlas because I am an unrepentant spheroid supremacist.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2024, 19:01:19 »
Timber Wolf for me, but in general I would say Battlemaster.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2024, 20:00:53 »

Timber Wolf by far

Others barely qualify in comparison

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2024, 21:39:11 »
Warhammer.

Prior to the whole Unseen ordeal, the Warhammer was on the cover of all the box sets and
a part of a HUGE amount of artwork.

I was honestly hoping to see the Whammy on more 40th anniversary items.
A 40th anniversary Box Set with a Whammy on the cover would feel like a
MASSIVE victory after what we went through.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2024, 22:32:32 »
Tossup between Atlas and Mad Cat.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2024, 22:48:30 »
timber wolf

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2024, 23:18:04 »
Atlas for me (if assault), Warhammer (for heavy), Shadow hawk for medium and Locust for light.

Clan its gotta be the madcat.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2024, 23:42:39 »
Absolutely the Timby for me, and I'm not even a Clan player. With the Warhammer and Marauder as numbers 2 and 3.

I fully endorse this top 3.

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2024, 23:47:39 »
Timber Wolf collectively.

Personally, the Locust was the first Mech I knew about from a old Dragon magazine ads — and so holds space in my head. However, overall? Timby, by far.

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #22 on: 28 March 2024, 05:28:51 »
There's only one 'Mech so iconic that Catalyst brought a 100% scale inflatable statue to conventions to represent the brand, one so iconic, it became the first official plushie' Mech and the first star of a children's book, and it ain't on this list? For shame.  :grin:

Holding my vote until the UrbanMech gets its proper recognition.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 28 March 2024, 07:40:41 »
I feel like it should be the Atlas, but it is almost certainly the Timber Wolf.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 28 March 2024, 10:27:48 »
There's only one 'Mech so iconic that Catalyst brought a 100% scale inflatable statue to conventions to represent the brand, one so iconic, it became the first official plushie' Mech and the first star of a children's book, and it ain't on this list? For shame.  :grin:

Holding my vote until the UrbanMech gets its proper recognition.

Urbanmech added!

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 28 March 2024, 10:30:17 »
Commando added

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #26 on: 28 March 2024, 10:32:21 »
Atlas for me (if assault), Warhammer (for heavy), Shadow hawk for medium and Locust for light.

Clan its gotta be the madcat.

This
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
« Reply #27 on: 28 March 2024, 10:45:19 »
I went with Atlas.  Because it was the face of the game for a long time.  I understand why people picked the Warhammer.

Respectable and fair. Atlas is pretty damn ico-

I just refused to go with a Robotech design.  If the most Iconic mech in your universe is a borrowed mech then you haven't done a good job of growing your universe in my opinion.

Spoilsport.
"It's called the Death Basket, because I'm riding this coffin all the way to Hell!"

CEO of Hamric Industries and Hamric's Hammers Mercenary Unit

Want to play with Air Mech's without the extra Battlemech/ASF mode of LAMs? Try Air-Slip Mechs!
AIR-SLIP MECH: LORE AND RULES

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 28 March 2024, 10:49:16 »
The Warhammer has had a few looks at this point and I would say it's still on brand. Even the Hammerhands is recognisable as part of the Warhammer family tree.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 28 March 2024, 11:51:00 »
I would sooner see certain units as being iconic of certain Eras, for various reasons.

For example: the Timber Wolf is arguably the iconic Clan 'Mech of the era of Operation REVIVAL, to the point of it being used to mark the Clan Invasion Era by CGL themselves.

Yet might the Savage Wolf be considered a more representative Clan 'Mech of the Dark Age era? Not just in terms of being one of the "new" designs bequeathed to the setting by MechWarrior: Dark Age/Age of Destruction, but also in-universe as the chosen 'Mech chassis of both Alaric Ward and of Anastasia Kerensky. Indeed, with the latter's Savage Wolf being used on the front cover of the IlClan sourcebook (and the former's on the back cover), that design's prominence in the universe does not appear to be going away any time soon...

But then, one could also argue that the Ares is an icon of the Dark Age, from an Inner Sphere perspective. There are few "new" MW:DA/AoD designs which, for good or ill, have been as symbolic of this era. Yet while the Republic it was originally built for no longer exists, it too is now beginning to proliferate across the setting, as more factions gain access to these superheavy tripods in the ilClan Era.

Although, I might also wonder what designs, be it Clan or IS, would be emblematic of Catalyst Game Labs' stewardship of these new eras. I think of new Clan designs like the Hammerhead, which is already being used as one of the 'Mechs featured on the cover art for BattleTech Universe. If the Timber Wolf and other TRO:3050 'Mechs spoke to the Clans of the REVIVAL era, the Hammerhead symbolizes the degree by which the Clans known to exist as of the 3150s have adapted from over a century of life in the Inner Sphere and known Periphery.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2024, 11:53:25 by Nerroth »

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #30 on: 28 March 2024, 12:14:27 »
I would sooner see certain units as being iconic of certain Eras, for various reasons.

By all means, start a poll for what you want to see. But there's nothing wrong with having a poll for BattleTech's most iconic Mechs regardless of era.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 04 April 2024, 09:56:21 »
The Commando is a little iconic right?

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #32 on: 04 April 2024, 10:27:58 »
The Commando is a little iconic right?

Sort of. Iconic to the Lyrans, definitely. Iconic to the Succession Wars and the Invasion, I suppose. Iconic to the game as a whole, probably not.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 05 April 2024, 15:31:36 »
Timber Wold, Marauder, Atlas. They are the big three from the first years of BT.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 05 April 2024, 17:06:44 »
Sort of. Iconic to the Lyrans, definitely. Iconic to the Succession Wars and the Invasion, I suppose. Iconic to the game as a whole, probably not.
Its greatest claim to fame is as the starting mech in Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries. That was no small deal and influenced a number of fans, particularly since its custom variant was exquisite.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 06 April 2024, 06:09:29 »
Voted for the Warhammer but the Archer is most iconic for me.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 06 April 2024, 10:01:34 »
The Atlas needs more iconic pilots. There was Frederick Steiner, back when he called himself that, but we didn't see much of Focht in the cockpit (player's option in the old Tukayyid scenario pack). Are Jonah Levin and Aaron DeChavilier big enough names?

Meanwhile the Marauder has Natasha Kerensky, the Bounty Hunter, and Grayson Carlyle; the Mad Cat has Aidan Pryde (briefly but ultimately), Vlad Ward, and the Bounty Hunter.

If you allow the Atlas II then you get Devlin Stone and Nicky Kerensky, but then do you compare that against the Marauder II and the Savage Wolf?

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 06 April 2024, 10:36:11 »
The Atlas needs more iconic pilots. There was Frederick Steiner, back when he called himself that, but we didn't see much of Focht in the cockpit (player's option in the old Tukayyid scenario pack). Are Jonah Levin and Aaron DeChavilier big enough names?

Meanwhile the Marauder has Natasha Kerensky, the Bounty Hunter, and Grayson Carlyle; the Mad Cat has Aidan Pryde (briefly but ultimately), Vlad Ward, and the Bounty Hunter.

If you allow the Atlas II then you get Devlin Stone and Nicky Kerensky, but then do you compare that against the Marauder II and the Savage Wolf?
I never got a hold of one, but I forget if the Bounty Hunter figurine was a Marauder or Marauder II in Dark Age.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 16 April 2024, 11:51:13 »
I still say the atlas is the most iconic due to its place on BT products over the years

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #39 on: 16 April 2024, 11:55:40 »
I would say that the commando is probably more iconic then the Urbanmech. The Urbanmech been around for what, like 5yrs

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #40 on: 16 April 2024, 12:03:48 »
The Atlas needs more iconic pilots. There was Frederick Steiner, back when he called himself that, but we didn't see much of Focht in the cockpit.

According to Legends, IIRC, by the time he became Focht, his active combat days were behind him and he only piloted his Atlas to keep his qualification current. He wanted to serve frontline, but IIRC ComStar felt he was worth more back safe than in harm's way.

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 16 April 2024, 12:20:26 »
I would say that the commando is probably more iconic then the Urbanmech. The Urbanmech been around for what, like 5yrs

Not even close.

The Urb has been in MWO since 2015 and tabletop a looong time before that.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #42 on: 16 April 2024, 12:44:42 »
The Urbie has been around since the original TRO 3025 back in 1986.
I have spoken.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #43 on: 16 April 2024, 13:12:04 »
The Urbie has been around since the original TRO 3025 back in 1986.

Ok, didn't realize that

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 16 April 2024, 15:47:30 »
Both the Commando and Urbammech were in TRO: 3025 and also debuted in Crescent Hawks Inception. 

The Commando was a hero mech, from Crescent Hawks Pilot Rex Pearce while the Urbanmech was a mook mech that generally only showed up when you were playing in arena matches and possibly salvageable if you were able to take one out while busting up the Arena, but that was generally a bad thing to do. 

Ok, didn't realize that

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 16 April 2024, 16:02:23 »
I'm extremely surprised the Atlas is trailing that far behind the MadCat.  Or, for that matter, the Warhammer.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 16 April 2024, 16:50:19 »
I'm extremely surprised the Atlas is trailing that far behind the MadCat.  Or, for that matter, the Warhammer.
IMHO the Warhammer would have scored even higher in this poll if not for decades of the unseen issue.

Back before the term unseen was even used for anything Battletech the Warhammer was on the cover of an
unbelievable amount of Battletech merch. To this day I'm surprised that it wasn't on the cover of
the original TRO 3025.
Just off hand it was on the cover of the 1st 3 box sets, all of the TCI model sets, the back cover of
Tales of the Black widow, the back cover of The Fox's Teeth, and the Back cover of The Gray Death Legion.
That's just what I can name offhand.
Considering how long it was unseen it's understandable that the T-Wolf would be chosen as more
iconic especially from younger players.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 16 April 2024, 16:57:10 »
The multiple generations of fandom aspect is indeed key.

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 17 April 2024, 07:31:49 »
For me it was the WH. Mostly because I started pre Clan. It's hard to shake the image of the WH from the marketing of early years.
Plus add in the fact that gaming wise we seemed to use lots of medium/heavies. Love the balance of this 3025 mech. You need to manage heat with this one, but it was a ton of fun on the table top.

If we had the technology to build mechs today. If I was the designer it would look like a WH.

I could see introduction date to the game being huge to your perspective.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 17 April 2024, 10:45:50 »
Would anyone say the Catapult is Iconic?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #50 on: 17 April 2024, 11:02:01 »
Iconic to the Capellan Confederation, but not to the game as a whole.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 17 April 2024, 12:20:39 »
 Remember that Mad Cat comes from Marauder-Catapult based off of aesthetics. Outside of the game, the Mad Cat might be seen as the refined version of the Catapult.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 17 April 2024, 18:21:26 »
Only thing off the top of my head i can remember it gracing the cover was Mechcommander.  That would be what I would consider it iconic for.

Would anyone say the Catapult is Iconic?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 17 April 2024, 18:26:49 »
I don't think that showing up on the cover of one product (especially one as peripheral as MechCommander) is enough to qualify as "Iconic."  Every mech that had ever gotten cover art on a novel would qualify by that logic.  Including the Defiance.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 17 April 2024, 18:37:07 »
I don't think that showing up on the cover of one product (especially one as peripheral as MechCommander) is enough to qualify as "Iconic."  Every mech that had ever gotten cover art on a novel would qualify by that logic.  Including the Defiance.

Even if that Defiance was actual a Warhammer? (I love that cover but Loveless kept getting mech legs wrong)

The Catapult really is a great BT mech; original, popular, easy to identify no mater the art, it was even one of the mechs in the MW: DA started set. I also think other mechs on the list over shadow it but it's defiantly one of the mechs that help define Battletech.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 17 April 2024, 18:37:46 »
The Catapult has a more distinguished record than you think, including being the mech that KOs your commander in the opening of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, and one of the best pieces to grace Bannson's Raiders (Meghann Tenclay).

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 17 April 2024, 19:38:13 »
I meant to say the Catapult would be iconic for Mechcommander to me.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 17 April 2024, 19:59:29 »
 If you have never seen it, the opening video to Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries is quite memorable. In your first hirable campaign, you are mentored by a Catapult pilot named "Deadeye."

Just tell me, am I the only one who thinks the commander's mech is a cross between a Victor and a Zeus?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 17 April 2024, 20:10:59 »
Just tell me, am I the only one who thinks the commander's mech is a cross between a Victor and a Zeus?

It may be because someone made a fan animated remake of the openning of MW2: Mercs with MWO assets and replaced the Zeus with a Victor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQn3OwvVQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ezgEzpQBg

The original, the Zeus' LRMs take out the Atlas, the fan remakes switches to a Victor so it's a AC/20 that takes the Atlas out.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 17 April 2024, 20:50:17 »
It may be because someone made a fan animated remake of the openning of MW2: Mercs with MWO assets and replaced the Zeus with a Victor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQn3OwvVQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ezgEzpQBg

The original, the Zeus' LRMs take out the Atlas, the fan remakes switches to a Victor so it's a AC/20 that takes the Atlas out.
I honestly always thought the second arm was firing an autocannon. Still, it is awesome to see an upgrade of the original to a higher resolution--it was already fantastic in its time. As for the second video, I just consider it an artist's take.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #60 on: 17 April 2024, 21:30:02 »
I honestly always thought the second arm was firing an autocannon.

The Zeus Zeus-6S uses a A/C 5 which I believe the arm that was blown off (and yes, it is still one of the best intro)

The fan remake was the artist take. The original description, the artist mentioned they liked the id that the Atlas was taken out by a AC/20.

Just thought that both videos get circulated on fan sites enough, it's enough to overlap the two subconsciously. The fan remakes is very faithful to the original in terms of animation and camera angle, almost shot per shot.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #61 on: 17 April 2024, 21:58:51 »
Honorable mention: Rifleman. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 17 April 2024, 22:23:59 »
For a true icon, it would have to be the Atlas or the Timber Wolf, for me, though the Urbanmech is the meme icon (memicon?).

While the Warhammer graced the cover of the boxes for a decade (and its predecessor and look-alike Hammerhands a little later), it runs in to the Unseen problem head-on.

The Atlas is unique, part of the original TRO: 3025, and the only thing it doesn't bring is being part of Battledroids (but those all have the Unseen issue).

With the introduction of the Clans, we have the Timber Wolf.  It graced the cover of the Compendiums.  It was the most commonly seen Clan Mech of The Battletech cartoon (even if we never saw a single pilot of one).  It's also a great blend of speed, armor and firepower along with its unique and frequent appearance.  They've made 3 more chassis based off it now, too!
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 17 April 2024, 22:52:04 »
The Zeus Zeus-6S uses a A/C 5 which I believe the arm that was blown off (and yes, it is still one of the best intro)

The fan remake was the artist take. The original description, the artist mentioned they liked the id that the Atlas was taken out by a AC/20.

Just thought that both videos get circulated on fan sites enough, it's enough to overlap the two subconsciously. The fan remakes is very faithful to the original in terms of animation and camera angle, almost shot per shot.
The original arm that is blown off was clearly the AC/5. A Victor would have the Autocannon in the second arm, leading me to the theory that they had merged the two mechs for effect. It is now clear to me that it was an LRM launcher the whole time and not the video's take on an AC/20.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 17 April 2024, 23:28:34 »
The original arm that is blown off was clearly the AC/5. A Victor would have the Autocannon in the second arm, leading me to the theory that they had merged the two mechs for effect. It is now clear to me that it was an LRM launcher the whole time and not the video's take on an AC/20.

Yet the Foley matched an Autocannon, not a missile launcher.

Could have been a custom job, but they would have had to pull a lot out to make it work.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 18 April 2024, 05:00:46 »
Honorable mention: Rifleman.

That makes me think of the Mechwarrior RPG, both the original 1e cover and Destiny.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #66 on: 18 April 2024, 18:20:13 »
According to Legends, IIRC, by the time he became Focht, his active combat days were behind him and he only piloted his Atlas to keep his qualification current. He wanted to serve frontline, but IIRC ComStar felt he was worth more back safe than in harm's way.

Specifically, Focht was the Atlas pilot. Fred drove a Zeus. He was apparently a bit of a gearhead when he was young, as his bio in the House Steiner says that he was also an expert technician for it.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 18 April 2024, 18:35:40 »
Yet the Foley matched an Autocannon, not a missile launcher.

I agree. That was one of the reasons I thought it an AC/20 (And you can compare the sound with the volley from the Catapult without playing the game). It simply made sense on every level. If it were a Victor, the AC/20 would be in that arm. This is why it is best to simply file it as a Mechwarrior game problem that we live with because the game, opening included, itself was gold.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #68 on: 18 April 2024, 19:17:12 »
That makes me think of the Mechwarrior RPG, both the original 1e cover and Destiny.

Exactly.  Regardless of reviews regarding performance, combat durability, tissue paper rear armor, etc...  It's fairly iconic.  I would put it behind Whammy/MAD/Timby (everyone can pick their own order), and put the Rifleman at #4.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #69 on: 18 April 2024, 19:48:14 »
I had to go Atlas as every other mech listed but 2 (Awesome/Urbie) are technically from other games/toylines etc etc.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #70 on: 18 April 2024, 20:50:44 »
How are the Mad Cat and Commando technically from other games?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #71 on: 18 April 2024, 22:52:25 »
How are the Mad Cat and Commando technically from other games?

1.  I missed Commando was even on the list. Doh!

2.  I was thinking the MadCat was ripped off from Exosquad, but maybe I have that reversed & the toy came after the T-Wolf was released?

Either way I'm still saying Atlas since I was ignoring the Robotech models.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #72 on: 18 April 2024, 23:39:59 »
Exosquad ripped off the Mad Cat, that lawsuit is what led to Harmony Gold suing FASA and the emergence of the Unseen.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #73 on: 19 April 2024, 09:15:30 »
Specifically, Focht was the Atlas pilot. Fred drove a Zeus.

ilClan Rec Guide 24 says Fred, still answering to that name, swapped out his Zeus for an Atlas during his fateful mission on Dromini VI in 3029. So a bit of an Aidan Pryde situation: you drive one 'Mech your whole life, then get into trouble while driving a substitute, and you become known for that substitute.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 19 April 2024, 09:55:23 »
ilClan Rec Guide 24 says Fred, still answering to that name, swapped out his Zeus for an Atlas during his fateful mission on Dromini VI in 3029. So a bit of an Aidan Pryde situation: you drive one 'Mech your whole life, then get into trouble while driving a substitute, and you become known for that substitute.
In fairness, he willingly took a cursed mech, then added Jump Jets to it, and even then one upped it with what is now known as a Battletech superweapon.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 19 April 2024, 12:22:10 »
The Battlemaster is on alot of Art .

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #76 on: 19 April 2024, 14:46:58 »

Hmm, so if we ever find out who the new Duke of Duran is, they'd probably be driving a very famous Zeus. Interesting.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 19 April 2024, 17:16:32 »
The Battlemaster is on alot of Art .

It is.  Know what else spent a lot of time on the art, in fact, was the default silhouette on the 'Mech record sheet, making it an Iconic 'Mech we didn't even know the name of?  The VP-* Viper 'Mech series.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 19 April 2024, 18:20:03 »
It is.  Know what else spent a lot of time on the art, in fact, was the default silhouette on the 'Mech record sheet, making it an Iconic 'Mech we didn't even know the name of?  The VP-* Viper 'Mech series.

I like the Viper but we didn't even know the mech existed until last year.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 20 April 2024, 23:45:12 »
Hmm, so if we ever find out who the new Duke of Duran is, they'd probably be driving a very famous Zeus. Interesting.

assuming it's survived the clan invasion, the fedcom civil war, the Jihad etc, yeah. That said according to Sarna is was basicly ignored in all those conflicts swo it's reasonably possiable it survived.
The Suns will shine again