Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: How expensive can a fifth generation thread be?  (Read 144256 times)

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
Well there is a lot of things I would rather be flying, but as the song goes: "if you want to sing the blues you have to pay your dues"

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Seems the story was updated... that is not a good ending at all.  :-\

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

DOC_Agren

• Major
REST IN PEACE
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
Some more theory on the Arrow...

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200615-the-record-breaking-jet-which-still-haunts-a-country?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Pretty good article from my first read through.  Seems to have a better balance than many others that I have read on the subject.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
I have spoken.

Fat Guy

• Major
Boeing recently delivered the 2,500th AH-64 Apache.

I have spoken.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Hellfires are so expensive it's only carrying half its capacity for the promo shot?  ???

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
2,500 Balacs ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Fat Guy

• Major
The WizKids Balac was actually based on the Mangusta.

I think we can all guess what they based the Lamprey on.   ;)

I have spoken.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
That Lamprey almost is a copy of the Hind.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
that figure for the F-16 (it being 15% of the operational aircraft in the world) makes me wonder what percentage the MiG-21 (and derivatives like the Chengdu J-7) held in their heyday, given that the F-16 only had ~4600 built, while the MiG-21/J-7 had nearly 14,000 built

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
that figure for the F-16 (it being 15% of the operational aircraft in the world) makes me wonder what percentage the MiG-21 (and derivatives like the Chengdu J-7) held in their heyday, given that the F-16 only had ~4600 built, while the MiG-21/J-7 had nearly 14,000 built

Quite possibly less. Aircraft were cheaper and more specialized, while air forces were larger in the heyday of the MiG-21. Modern air forces are based off one or two core multi-role aircraft now. Until you get to some of the late model J-7s with the new wing, Fishbeds lacked range, payload capacity, and just plain old number of hardpoints to do much more than hurl a couple of IR missiles at an attacker (not all Fishbeds carried cannon either). They had about the light attack capability of an advanced trainer - using the gunsight to aim unguided rockets.

Fat Guy

• Major
Some shots of a MiG 21 (re designated YF-110) under USAF evaluation at Groom Lake.

I have spoken.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Quite possibly less. Aircraft were cheaper and more specialized, while air forces were larger in the heyday of the MiG-21. Modern air forces are based off one or two core multi-role aircraft now. Until you get to some of the late model J-7s with the new wing, Fishbeds lacked range, payload capacity, and just plain old number of hardpoints to do much more than hurl a couple of IR missiles at an attacker (not all Fishbeds carried cannon either). They had about the light attack capability of an advanced trainer - using the gunsight to aim unguided rockets.

the phrase "multi-Role' is more of a buzzword than an actual 'thing'.  even in the sixties and seventies (the heyday of the MiG-21), interceptors were doing ground attack, ground attackers were doing air superiority, and so on.

Most of the combat flying hours logged by the F-5 were in ground support missions, and that's a plane with a similar warload, slightly smaller size, and so on as the MiG-21, both of which were initially intended to be short duration interceptors.

as was the original RFP for the F-16, and the F-15 was intended to be air-superiority and bomber interception, but with the E version, became a bomber.  The F-111 was intended to be all 'multirole' and took until the G model before it functioned in ANY role...at all.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
One of the UKs refuelling Voyager craft also acts as a VIP transport.  It recently got a new paint job
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
One of the UKs refuelling Voyager craft also acts as a VIP transport.  It recently got a new paint job

Can anybody tell me why re-painting that jet cost ~£900,000 or does that go into Rule 4 territory?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I'm sure materials were much less than half... painting a plane isn't like painting a car or a house.  It has to be done RIGHT.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
I was assuming that like almost any paint job the bulk of the cost is labour, but it still seems insanely high.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
A visualy radar reflective coating?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Can anybody tell me why re-painting that jet cost ~£900,000 or does that go into Rule 4 territory?

According to reports it was also electronics overhaul and general maintenance for the year as well
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That should account for it... doing some research, the paint job alone should have been about a fifth of that.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
According to reports it was also electronics overhaul and general maintenance for the year as well

Now that makes so much more sense!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major

Ever watched Independence Day?

;D

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Fat Guy

• Major
Ever watched Independence Day?

I've been trying to forget it.

Thanks for bring up bad memories!   :P
I have spoken.

grimlock1

• Captain
I suspect part of it has to do with the nature of large bureaucratic organizations. I work at an Ivy League University. Say I want to buy a $5 pack of O-rings.  I make about $30/hr, but because of benefits and overhead costs, I cost the department about $60/hr.  So if I spend half an hour calculating the proper size O-ring for this dingus I'm designing, then find out that McMaster doesn't sell that size, so I go back and redesign the dingus to match what they do sell, that's $30.  I send the purchase request up the chain and the purchasing agent is required to by policy to check a couple different vendors, place the order, then file out some paperwork.  Maybe an hour's worth of work.  Lets say makes $25/hr, so with benefits and such, she costs $50/hr.   Then someone over at financial affairs costing another $50/hr spends 30 minutes looking over the paperwork.  See how this adds up?

So we are already up to what? $85 to buy a $5 pack of O-rings, and the story isn't finished yet, but to be honest, my understanding of the process gets fuzzy after this point. Oh, and I forgot shipping costs!
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
One of my previous job was QC for shop doing plating and painting for small and medium aviation parts. Just the specs for the paint, application and inspection were fun read  :crash: and the yearly approval was a hoot too.  :lol:

In the end, the difference between an aeronautic and hotpot bolt is the paperwork that come with it.  C:-)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
not to mention that aircraft probably need specialized paint formulas, similar to how car paint and house paint are chemically different.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Repainting planes has always been very expensive. Repainting a B737 o A320 costs around 50K USD. Repainting a widebody like a B777 or A330 can cost you between 100 and 250k depending on number of colors and fanciness of design. Remember that some Japanese planes sport a Picachu publicity. That is some expensive publicity. Paint weighs and needs to be taken into account in operational costs, so it is important to do it right. That is one of the many reasons that airlines do not change their livery too frequently even if it sucks. And that sometimes 2 liveries coexist for a long time when they do change it. If you have 100 planes and repainting them costs you 75000 each on average it is not lunch money expenditure we are talking here.

The high price tag of this refit looks more to do with the electronics refit than the paint anyway.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 01:04:33 by Elmoth »