Author Topic: infantry power armor basing  (Read 3264 times)

General308

• Captain
infantry power armor basing
« on: 18 May 2020, 12:22:22 »
So I ordered a bunch of the Infantry and power armor.  I have been wanting to order for a while.   Now I have to base them.  Is there any reason to use a heck base.  I was think of just putting them on a penny and calling it a day.  Is there any reason for these time units a need a hex base?

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
Re: infantry power armor basing
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2020, 12:54:43 »
It's really up to you. Given that infantry doesn't have a facing or pay for facing changes, the only thing I can think of game-wise is if you've got a stickler who wants everything on the same size bases while playing AS. I suggest cutting some out of cardstock if that happens. Most people will be more flexible than that though, so it comes down to personal preference.

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2020, 21:01:23 »
I have over three thousand individual infantry figures, all based on pennies. Considering that Canada no longer uses a penny, it took some forethought.
If you're concerned about weight though, I suggest looking for the kind of small plastic discs used for bingo and the like. Often found at dollar or craft or party supply stores.
Honor is Bulletproof

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2020, 21:55:41 »
I actually use half-hexes. I get plastic hex bases in lots, so it's easy to cut one down the middle. Stick however many figures you want - for budget I tend to do 3 lights or mediums, 2 heavies, or one assault - per base, fill - I find sticking a strip of cardboard on the cut side to help form a "lip" - and bob's your uncle.

Why? Because then I can fit two BA in a hex, or two platoons, etc. I also use a lot of MWLDA figures, and their "kidney bean" base is just about half a hex anyway!

Can supply photos if only mildly nudged to do so ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2020, 13:28:34 »
I have used pennies, little wood disks, and a few other things . . . I play hex-based 3D maps and while the hexes are larger, using something that size still makes it easier to put it in a hex with a mech or armor.  I use a single trooper on the base, even before IWM started selling them by the single . . . with all of my unprocessed IWM Elementals and MWDA BA, I cannot tell you how much that would make for a total.  But I am pretty sure I have a regiment of MWDA Cavalier suits- most of which came from the Steel Wolves.

I quite stripping off the MWDA stuff- and sort of regret it now with some of the MWDA vehicles- because I will be using that game to start off with my toddler.  But considering I still have the dial bases, I can temporarily re-attach the vehicles to the base while he learns to play.  Lol, teaching the kid math by TH numbers!  Kid, its 4+2+2+2- what is that?  Ok, roll.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2020, 13:38:53 »
So, just to make the counter-point, I do base my infantry on hex bases.  I do so for the sole reason that I like the way it looks and it can cause me minor headaches if I decide to put more than one squad within a hex.  As a result, at least for my battle armour, I also have made up some single troopers attached to a small washer.  I use them to represent squads swarming mechs, or riding on mechs or whenever I otherwise have to squeeze multiple units in a single hex.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2020, 17:22:57 »
*snip*
Can supply photos if only mildly nudged to do so ;)
Um... since no one else has yet... Nudge?  8)

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2020, 15:00:20 »
I like to put mine on plastic circular bases.  As noted previously, there is no facing for infantry, but I like to maintain some form of consistency within my forces, and the raised circular bases I use allow me to also put the unit number on the back of the base, in the event that I am using multiples of the same unit. 

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2020, 15:04:53 »
On a side note, this does limit me to a certain number of models per base.  Usually I can get three infantry, or two to three battle armor per base, depending on the size of the battle armor. The plastic bases I use come from reaper minis, and I think it is $5ish dollars for a pack of 25.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2020, 15:18:04 »
Thanks for replying!  /Just here for the pics...  ^-^

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2020, 17:37:41 »
Um... since no one else has yet... Nudge?  8)

Apologies! I hope this thread will provide sufficient examples.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2020, 18:19:04 »
well, the scum at PhotoCan will scream at me more if I post the pix, but....

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=34024.msg793382#msg793382

As I am currently packing to move, I was able to get a reasonable count of my infantry:

with each stand of 7 figures = 1 platoon, and 4 platoons to a company, and 3 Co. +1 HQ Pltn. to a Btln.
And 4 Btln. to a Reg't....

I've got 4 Regiments of "motorized" Infantry, 1 Regiment of BA, and a Btln. of "Leg" infantry.

It all fits into two 30 gallon RubberMaid totes and are quite heavy. 

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2020, 19:29:28 »
Thank you both for the links!  :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2020, 19:49:15 »
Grog's got some great stuff. I've done similar using Epic Rhinos as APCs - they work brilliantly with DA infantry!

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #14 on: 07 July 2020, 23:25:44 »
ooooh. YES. Epic Rhinos are GREAT for infantry.  But they're so rare to find, I've got all of 8 in my entire collection.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2020, 01:53:09 »
I was lucky to score a bag of them some years ago - just down to a few Whirlwinds, which make great engineering vehicles with the spikes on the front.

Register