Author Topic: Sub-Capital Weapons and You (Repost)  (Read 8846 times)

master arminas

• Captain
Sub-Capital Weapons and You (Repost)
« on: 28 September 2011, 16:08:01 »
I think this was lost in the general purge of the boards, so here it is again.  My one and only fan article to date.  Enjoy!

MA

Sub-Capital Weapons and You

Good morning, everyone.  This is my first attempt at writing an article for this board and I hope to be able to spur a good debate and discussion over some very interesting weapon systems, the Sub-Capital Weapons introduced in Tactical Operations.

First seen in 3073 when used by the Word of Blake, Sub-Capital Weapons are an intermediary type of weapon falling between Capital-scale Weapons and Standard-scale Weapons.  Perhaps these weapons are the result of WoB discovering a Star League-era project to modernize the very first weapons every used by the Terran Alliance; or perhaps they are completely new weapons.  We just don’t know for certain.  Myself, I like the idea that these weapons represented the First Generation of capital guns, and since aerospace fighters were not around, the designers of the day did not recognize their viability against those types of craft after they had been replaced by ‘modern’ Capital weapons.

Now many of you are asking, why should we even bother with a new type of weapon? And it is a legitimate question that deserves an answer.

Sub-Capital Weapons combine the Capital-scale range bands with lightweight weapons that inflict (on the whole) less damage than Capital weapons, but more than Conventional weapons.  They can be mounted on WarShips, Stations, DropShips, large wet-Naval vessels, and Mobile Structures.  These weapons are capable of orbital bombardment, but at an additional +2 to-hit modifier, and only inflict full damage to the target hex (half damage to the surrounding six).

But, most intriguingly, Sub-Capitals receive only a +3 to-hit modifier against targets of 500 tons or less compared to the standard +5 of Capital weapons.  This modifier applies only to Sub-Capital Cannons and Sub-Capital Lasers.  Like their Capital cousins, Sub-Capital Missiles have no penalty when fired at targets of less than 500 tons.

What does this really mean?  In the naval combat described by AeroTech 2 (revised), absolute range is everything.  Let’s take a look at the numbers for a moment before we get into the actual weapons (assuming a gunnery of 4 across the board).

First, let us compare Sub-Cap Cannons against Standard-scale Weapons when used against targets of less than 500 tons.

0-6 hexes: Standard Weapons 4+; Sub-Capital Weapons 7+
7-12 hexes: Standard Weapons 6+; Sub-Capital Weapons 7+
13-20 hexes: Standard Weapons 8+; Sub-Capital Weapons 9+
21-24 hexes: Standard Weapons 10+; Sub-Capital Weapons 9+
25 hexes: Standard Weapons 10+; Sub-Capital Weapons 11+
26-40 hexes: Standard Weapons N/A; Sub-Capital Weapons 11+

What does this comparison tell us?  Well, at point blank-range (6 hexes and below), Standard-scale weapons are much better than Sub-Cap Cannons.  But that is the only range band where they have a dramatic difference in target numbers.  Every other range band (out to 25 hexes, the maximum range for Standard-scale Extreme range weapons) there is a difference of only 1 in the target numbers to-hit, sometimes in favor of Standard-scale, sometimes in favor of Sub-Capitals.  At 26-40 hexes, Standard-scale weapons are out of range, while Long-range Sub-Caps can still fire with fairly decent to-hit numbers.

Combined with bracketing, which the light weight of sub-caps makes very attractive, a four gun-bay of Sub-Capitals can easily match the target numbers of standard scale guns.  I said earlier absolute range is everything.  Having a longer absolute range (even if the other guy has more range bands) means you can get in one or two or three more shots before he ever enters his own range, per bay mount, per facing.

And I bet that you are asking, why did I say Sub-Cap Cannons in that section above, and not Sub-Cap Lasers?  Because Sub-Cap Lasers get the +3 against targets smaller than 500 tons when in normal ship-to-ship mode, but they can use anti-aerospace mode to reduce that to a +1 (in exchange for a +3 against ships larger than 500 tons).

0-6 hexes: Standard Weapons 4+; Sub-Capital Weapons 5+
7-12 hexes: Standard Weapons 6+; Sub-Capital Weapons 5+
13-20 hexes: Standard Weapons 8+; Sub-Capital Weapons 7+
21-24 hexes: Standard Weapons 10+; Sub-Capital Weapons 7+
25 hexes: Standard Weapons 10+; Sub-Capital Weapons 9+
26-40 hexes: Standard Weapons N/A; Sub-Capital Weapons 9+

And that does indeed make a difference, doesn’t it?  Suddenly, Sub-Capital Lasers have better target numbers than standard scale weapons at anything over six hexes.  And if you use bracket fire with a twin, triple, or quadruple mount SCL, your target numbers just keep on getting better.  Personally, I know some people won’t stop at bays of less than 60 or 70 Capital; but for Sub-Caps, there is really no point in going past four guns in a single bay.  You do enough damage to keep the WarShips honest and the DropShips scared, and enough to put most fighter squadrons in the extinct column.

Now, let’s look at Sub-Cap Missiles against Standard-scale Weapons, shall we?

0-6 hexes: Standard Weapons 4+ Sub-Capital Weapons 4+
7-12 hexes: Standard Weapons 6+ Sub-Capital Weapons 4+
13-20 hexes: Standard Weapons 8+ Sub-Capital Weapons 6+
21-24 hexes: Standard Weapons 10+ Sub-Capital Weapons 6+
25 hexes: Standard Weapons 10+ Sub-Capital Weapons 8+
26-40 hexes: Standard Weapons N/A Sub-Capital Weapons 8+

What a dramatic difference that makes.  At point-blank range, Sub-Capital Missiles (and, in fact, Capital Missiles) have the exact same to-hit numbers as Standard-scale weapons.  After that, the numbers continue to diverge in favor of the Sub-Caps and the Capital Missiles.  This does not even consider the -2 to-hit modifier of the Barracuda Capital Missile. Against that weapon, the to-hit numbers are even worse.

Now, of course, you could mount Standard-scale Pulse Lasers and gain a -2 modifier, or LB-X series autocannons and gain a -1 modifier.  But Pulse Lasers tend to have a maximum range of Medium, and LB-X do less damage overall.  Overall, against most Standard-scale weapons, Sub-Caps compare pretty well in overall to-hit numbers.  (And I’m talking about Inner Sphere here; Clan weapons pretty much make the sub-caps obsolete.)

Ok, then.  So Sub-Caps have pretty comparable to-hit numbers everywhere but 6 hexes and below (and better numbers for Sub-Cap missiles).  Still, why should we bother?  They must weigh a lot more than Standard-scale, right?

Yes, they do.  The lightest Sub-Cap weighs 100 tons, the heaviest weighs 700 tons.  And unlike Standard-weapons, Sub-Caps require one gunner each, instead of one gunner for every six weapons.  So where’s the advantage.  Absolute range.  I will say it again, that one factor makes Sub-Caps viable against massed banks of Standards, especially for anti-aerospace work.

What about heat?  Well, higher than Standards and less than Capital.  Much less than Capital for nearly all Sub-Caps.

And damage?  Here is where Sub-Caps shine.  Compared to Capital Weapons, Sub-Caps do little damage.  But they do concentrated Capital-scale damage.  From 1 to 7 points.  That’s 10 to 70 points, per gun, on the Standard scale.  The concentrated punch of Sub-Caps virtually insures you can threshold or outright kill an aerospace fighter (or squadron) with a single shot (or salvo from a multi-gun bay).

Let’s take a look at the specific Sub-Capital Weapons now.  There are three categories of Sub-Capital Weapons:  Sub-Capital Cannons, Sub-Capital Lasers, and Sub-Capital Missiles.  These guns can be grouped into bays with Naval Autocannons (SCC), Naval Lasers (SCL), and Capital Missiles (SCM) (respectively), or they can be grouped into their own bays.  Individual weapons within each category (three types of SCCs, three types of SCLs, and four types of SCMs) can be grouped together, or mounted individually in separate bays.

This gives ships designers an extremely flexible approach.  Please note however, that if you group your Sub-Cap Cannons and Lasers with Naval Autocannons or Naval Lasers, you lose the +3 to-hit modifier.  You are stuck with the standard +5 of Capital guns, so think hard before you decide to do this.   This also means that if you group your SCL with NL, you gain absolutely no advantage when using the SCL in AAA mode.  This is another reason not to do it.

There are three Sub-Capital Weapons that can reach out and touch you at Long Capital range (40 hexes).  These are the Light SCC, the SCL/1 (sometimes called the Light SC Laser), and the Piranha Sub-Capital Missile.  These guns are fairly light-weight (none weigh more than 200 tons) and inflict light damage (2 capital points for the Light SCC, 1 capital point for the SCL/1, and 3 capital points for the Piranha).

What good are they, you ask?  Well, look at the Light SCC from this point of view and you may see what good it is.  It is basically an AC-20, but an AC-20 with a maximum range of 720 kilometers, instead of 108 kilometers.  Remember those to-hit numbers from above?  Would you want an AC-20 with THOSE to-hit numbers shooting at your fighters from 40 hexes away?

As a side note, the Light SCC makes the NAC-10 obsolete.  A bay of five Light SCCs does the same damage, at the same range, for half the tonnage.  The only penalty is more gunners and slightly more heat, and you have to allocate more tonnage for ammo for the same number of shots.  If Strategic Ops or Interstellar Ops changes the Thresholding rules for Capital Weapons bays, then a bay of five Light SCCs will only threshold at a damage of 2 compared the NAC-10s 10 point brick, which could even them out once more.  But until then, the NAC-10 just fell even farther behind than it already was.

The SCL/1 is the most underwhelming of the Sub-Caps, closely followed by the SCL/2 and SCL/3 (discussed under medium range weapons below).  It does the lightest damage of any Sub-Cap, but does reach out to Long Capital range.  Consider it a standard PPC with over three times the range.  It is very light-weight and (compared against a Capital-scale weapon) generates very little heat.  In fact, it generates less than two and half times the heat of a STANDARD-SCALE PPC.  View it in that light, and it becomes much more interesting. Add in the Anti-Air Mode, and it becomes a real prize—especially since it masses just 150 tons and generates only 24 heat.

The Piranha is the quite possibly the ‘crown jewel’ of the Sub-Capital World.  This Sub-Cap Missile has a maximum range of Long, no to-hit modifier against targets of 500 tons or less, and inflicts 3 points of capital damage; the same as the much heavier White Shark, albeit at a reduced overall range.  Unlike other Sub-Capital or Capital missiles, the Piranha does not get an automatic critical chance, but really, guys, does it have to do so in order to impress?

What makes the Piranha so worth-while (in fact nearly too good) is that it is the lightest of all Sub-Cap weapons in weight, and that each individual missile weighs only 10 tons.  That’s right, people, TEN TONS for ONE missile. And, it does 3 points of capital damage out to Long Capital range.  WOW, I say again, WOW.

On we go to the Medium Range Sub-Caps.  There are five weapons in this range band:  the Medium and Heavy SCC, the SCL/2 and SCL/3, and the Stingray Sub-Cap Missile.

Medium and Heavy SCC are two of the best Sub-Capital Weapons.  Though they only reach out to 24 hexes (and are out-ranged 1 hex by Extreme Range Standard-scale weapons), the Medium does 5 points of Capital damage and the Heavy does 7 points.  For medium capital range anti-aerospace weapons, these guns will guarantee a crit chance due to Thresholding (how many aerospace fighters or DropShips do you know have armor of 491 or 691 points on a single location?).  Best of all, they are (relatively) light-weight, generate low amounts of heat, and you can pack on the ammo for very little tonnage (100 tons will get you 100 shots for the Mediums, 50 shots for the Heavies).

With their high-damage (for Sub-Caps), they can also serve well in the anti-ship role.  A pair of Medium SCC can do the same damage as a NAC-10 for half the tonnage, albeit at a reduced range.  A bay mounting three Heavy SCCs will do 1 more point of damage than a NAC-20, for slightly more than 80% of the tonnage, once again at a shorter range.  Smaller ships (such as corvettes) that are mass limited can mount these weapons as a viable alternative to NACs and still remain combat effective.  Combat DropShips can also use these guns to have a light-weight, heavy-hitting weapon with that can threshold other DropShips with ease, and present a real threat to WarShips at the same time.

The SCL/2 and SCL/3 are in an odd place.  With a maximum Capital range of 24 hexes, they are out-ranged by all Capital weapons except the NAC-35 and NAC-40, but do only 2 and 3 points (respectively) of Capital-scale damage.  They are not as good as the SCL/1 in the anti-aerospace because of the loss of 16 hexes of range, and their damage is far too low to serve as viable anti-ship (even anti-DropShip) weapons.  The only redeeming values is their extremely low tonnage and heat, as well as not having to provide for ammunition, and their ability to use AAA mode.  In close, they can rip apart fighter squadrons and smaller DropShips/small craft with ease.

The last medium range weapon is the Stingray Sub-Cap missile.  This weapon does 3.5 points of Capital-scale damage (35 points of standard) and generates an auto-crit chance against aerospace fighters.  This is more damage than a White Shark, but at less than half the range.  Further, each missile masses only 12 tons.   The Stingray is a good weapon, and you can really pack on the missiles.  Damage is also good, but it really shines in the anti-aerospace role, what with the auto-crit chance and the lack of a to-hit modifier.

Finally, we reach the last range-band, the Short Range Sub-Caps.  There are only two, both of them Sub-Cap Missiles:  the Swordfish and the Manta Ray.

The Swordfish does 4 points of capital damage and each missile weighs 15 tons.  This weapon has an auto-crit chance against fighters.  Damage is the same as a Killer Whale, but maximum range is a mere 12 hexes, Medium standard-scale range.  But is does serve as a solid last-ditch anti-aerospace weapon and a passable anti-DropShip weapon.  That purpose, however is completely superseded by the next weapon, making you ask, what were the designers thinking?

The last Sub-Cap is the Manta Ray, another Sub-Cap missile.  This baby has the same range as the Swordfish, but does 5 points of capital damage and gets an auto-crit chance against fighters.  Each missile masses 18 tons, which makes it costly to put on a DropShip, but well worth the mass.  In fact, the Manta Ray is so good, one wonders who would put a Swordfish on their ships to begin with?  But the Swordfish is lighter and generates less heat, so I guess it’s an option.

Let me talk about one final point with the Sub-Capital Missiles.  None of these weapons can be fired from an AR-10, which might limit their usefulness to some designs.  There are no teleoperated variants either, which makes sense considering their reduced ranges. And (as of yet, since I’m sure Herb is busy working on it) none of the Sub-Caps can carry a nuclear warhead (but Swordfish and Manta Rays carrying a Santa Anna or an Alamo could change everything).  Perhaps we might see in Strategic Ops or Interstellar Ops an AR-style that can fire Sub-Cap Missiles as well as Capital Missiles; that would give these weapons a completely new flexibility, especially when combined with the light-weight of the individual missiles, or maybe just an AR-style launcher that can only handle Sub-Cap missiles, that would be cool as well.

My only complaints about the new guns are the seemingly haphazard manner in which they were put together.  The Light SCC perhaps should have its range reduced to Medium, this would allow the NAC-10 to retain some superiority over massed banks of the weapon.  The SCL/2 and SCL/3 present some real challenges.  These guns should have had a range of Long, and maybe do 1.5 and 2.5 points of damage, respectively, so as not to encroach too much on the NL-35.  The Stingray, well, if the Stingray had its range changed to long, it would be perfect.  The Swordfish should have a range of medium, leaving the Manta Ray as the only short-range weapon.  But, those are just my own opinions on the matter.

Overall, these new weapons present some very interesting and intriguing possibilities for Naval Combat, especially in the anti-aerospace role that used to be filled by massive banks of standard-scale weapons.  Now, we might finally have useful ‘dual-purpose’ secondary batteries for anti-aerospace and anti-ship duties.  While the sub-caps will never completely eliminate the need for a good point-defense battery for anti-missile work, they can and will serve a new and vital role in ship design, and in game play.  And for combat DropShips, these weapons can serve as the main guns, while standard-scale weapons round out their armament.

Thank you all for your time and patience, and I hope that I have provoked some thought and insightful debate on these new weapons.

Master Arminas

EDIT:  I've incorporated the errata data into the article itself.  Once again, thanks for your help, guys!
« Last Edit: 28 September 2011, 23:14:30 by master arminas »

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Re: Sub-Capital Weapons and You (Repost)
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2011, 16:31:45 »
May want to add in the SCMissile errata.

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2011, 16:45:22 »
I was not aware of the errata on them; it does change this a little.

The Piranha doesn't get the -1 to hit anymore, and none of the sub-cap missiles force critical hits against targets larger than a fighter (if I am reading it right).  The Manta Ray's range dropped to a maximum of 9 hexes (capital scale medium), once again if I am reading it correctly.  New missile masses across the board are:  10 tons per missile (Piranha), 12 tons per missile (Stingray), 15 tons per missile (Swordfish), and 18 tons per Missile (Manta Ray).

Still, good solid weapons to have, especially against hostile ASF.

If I missed something, or misread something (either is equally likely,  :( ) feel free to correct me!

MA

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2011, 17:06:22 »
You also need to add the AAA mode for SCLs, that drops their sub-500t targetting penalty to just +1, which makes them superior to standard weapons over all ranges apart from 6-hexes or less, and even then it's only just inferior with 5+ vs 4+.

SCLs are superb anti-fighter weapons.

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2011, 17:14:59 »
Where can I actually find the CGL errata for the sub-caps?  I had to go by what Sarna had in its individual weapon descriptions.

Sillybrit, you know, I can't believe I forget that SCL can be used in AAA mode?  Thanks!

MA

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2011, 18:18:19 »

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2011, 20:21:12 »
Although a somewhat dubious method, SCCs are useful for filling out NAC bays to a full quad grouping when you don't have the tonnage for more NACs. Light SCCs work well with NAC30s and smaller, while medium and heavy SCCs partner NAC35s and 40s.

I don't particularly favor the same for SCLs and NLs, since I'd rather keep the former's superior AAA accuracy, besides which the only close match-up is the SCL1 and the NL35, which is already fairly light as far as full capital weapons go.

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2011, 20:29:00 »
I posted my Reuben James design over in Aerospace Fan Designs earlier tonight.  It is a Star League prototype that I have as introducing (or rather, reintroducing) sub-capital weapons.  I know, canon says the Word invented them, but it just seems that these are what WarShips prior to 2300 hundred would have been armed with.  I figure that once REAL capital weapons arrived on scene, they just died.  SLS Reuben James was an attempt to resurrect them in an AAA role for escorts, but she was the only one commissioned and she didn't enter service until just before the Coup. 

Anyway, it does show how dangerous these guns can be combined with even a few all-up Capital weapons.  Take a look if you want.

MA

Register