Author Topic: Tell me about... the Maelstrom  (Read 7454 times)

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
Tell me about... the Maelstrom
« on: 21 September 2011, 01:58:08 »
so i'm not entirely new to this 'Mech
i've seen and heard of it before, i've just never used one, nor have i ever really paid attention to the design

the artwork is hard to make out, but the mini doesn't look half bad IMO

for those of you who have used it, your thoughts?
(of course the thoughts of those who haven't used it are welcome also :P)
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: Tell me about... the Maelstrom
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2011, 02:04:38 »
I think the Maelstrom definitely has its uses. It's a solid heavy cavalry 'Mech, basically just an up-tonned Lynx with more armor and TAG. I find it works extremely well for deep raids, since it's got an all-energy loadout and the TAG allows it to call in artillery bombardments against fixed installations with ease.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2011, 02:33:43 »
If you ever need a heavy recon mech, take the MTR-6K!

The Maelstrom is IMHO not intended for the battleline, but is more suited as an heavy skirmisher. 5/8 and 231 armor points is good, even with a XL.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2011, 10:05:49 »
It seems at first a bit under powered, but it sacrafices a bit of power to be very high intensity, with all energy weapons and a huge pile of heatsinks.  So if you really have to do a lot of damage, you can use that speed to close quickly and just hold the trigger down, and with full armor and lots of crits to sink its not entirely unworkable.  But, if you want to use that speed and thouse ER weapons to snipe (which you can do) then you're stuck at Enforcer levels of damage.

I did an article on this many years ago, but it was my first or second try, so I'll leave it to contemperary writers to rehash it.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2011, 12:23:24 »
A good heavy cavalry mech.  It does not have to worry about running out of ammunition as it is a energy weapon boat.  It can handle its heat load very well as it is oversinked.  Its speed allows it to dictate range against slower opponents.  The only thing I do not like about it is the lack of jump jets.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2011, 12:33:52 »
I have a fondness for the MTR-6E due to the addition of ECM. The use of Ghost Targets makes this a pain to kill while it hoofs around TAG-spotting or running and gunning with the ERLL/ERPPC.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2011, 12:51:04 »
Maelstrom
- "almost unknown member of Marauder family"

The relationship of these two BattleMech can't be denied. Generally said, Maelstrom is just Marauder's more advanced brother. Both share similar main armament (2* PPC in case of Marauder and 1 ER PPC + 1 ER Large laser for Maelstrom). While Dragon Fire can offer bigger short-term firepower, Maelstrom has other strengths.

There is one base model and two other modified variants you can choose from.

MTR-5K

The first model manufactured for the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth by General Motors on Kathil and licensed to Norse-Storm (Solaris 7) and Telfar (Midway).

Let's start with strengths. Main armament are two weapons with long reach, yet without minimum range. They are 1 ER PPC in the right arm and 1 ER Large laser placed in the left arm. Both have similar range brackets, so you can use them both at a time.

However, there are two problems that will show up:

The first problem, less important, is waste heat. Both weapons fired together will produce 27 heat points. Since Maelstrom has been equipped with 19 double-strength heat sinks for total 38 heat capacity, this is not a big concern. But you ought always keep in mind that enemy could use heat-inducing weapons like Plasma Rifle (adds 1-6 heat points), Plasma Cannon (adds 2-12 heat points), Flamer (3 heat points) or good old SRMs with Inferno warheads (2 heat point per missile). You have comfortable reserve, but you shouldn't be completely careless.

The second problem is low damage output. Maelstrom can dish solid 18 damage points into the long range. While it's a solid performance, it's two points less you need to force PSR. Good thing is that you can't run out of ammunition, so use your weapons every time the slightest probability of hit exists. Bad thing is that similar 'Mechs from Marauder family are significantly stronger. Marauder MAD-5R has base long-range damage of 20 and then adds 5-point hits from its RAC-5 autocannon. Rakshasa can deliver 36 points (2*ER Large lasers + 2* LRM-10s with Artemis IV). Dragon Fire has base long-range damage of 23 and can add another 10 points from autocannon. As you can see, Maelstrom stands here as a poor relative.

You may say that Maelstrom can close to the enemy and act as brawler. The answer is yes and no. Maelstrom is powered by 375 XL engine which gives him 5/8 movement profile. In the vicinity of the enemy Maelstrom pilot can use his secondary weapons (2 Medium pulse lasers and 1 Small laser). Not even the alpha-strike will overtax Maelstrom's heat sinks, which is nice. Each side torso has two double heat-sinks which are useful as critical hits sinks.

We all know that extralight fusion engines are not entirely suitable for brawlers because of their fragility, and Maelstrom can be seriously slowed down thanks +5 or + 10 heat spike.

Maelstrom has one interesting piece of equipment onboard. It is the TAG (Target Acquisition Gear), used to guide homing Arrow IV missiles or Semi-guided LRMs. It is definitely better than NARC, but even in this case the medium range of TAG is a bit on the short side (6-9 hexes).

The armor is very thick with 231 points (the maximum the chassis can carry). Arms are weakest with 24 points. Generally the 'Mech is well protected.

So how can we use this machine? Personally I would try to snipe at the enemy from the long-range and use Pulse lasers and TAG (if you have artillery) as a threat against fast movers. Use the speed to dictate the range, if possible.

MTR-6E

Designers from Telfar BattleMechs decided to turn Maelstrom into scout 'Mech. Probably they thought that the 'Mech has everything the true scout needs - good speed for heavy 'Mech, excellent protection to return from the deep recon mission and energy armament so it doesn't need to replenish ammunition. For better stealth penetration they added Guardian ECM suite into left torso and because of symmetry they included Beagle Active Probe into right torso. But there were double heat sinks I hear you say. Well, they aren't there anymore. The cooling system capacity is 34 points now. As you may see, Maelstrom is not that alpha-strike capable 'Mech it used to be, even though the short-range arsenal are 2 Medium lasers and 3 Small lasers. TAG is still present.

My opinion? You "can" use this machine as a scout (albeit slow) 'Mech. But in the thick of combat (if Maelstrom runs into enemies unexpectedly), you must watch the heat gauge closely. And with 5/8 speed and no Jump jets you may have a problem how to disengage from the enemy.

MTR-6K

Completely the same as the previous model (MTR-6E), the only difference is change from the ER PPC and ER Large laser to the standard PPC and standard Large laser. Heat problems are virtually non-existent now, but the medium range is your maximum range now as well.

To summarize things, you can use those scout variants as heavy scouts, artillery spotters or C3 networks disruptors, but I think that some smaller 'Mechs may be significantly more useful as they are 1. faster , 2. more agile and 3. much cheaper.

Oh yes, where we can see those 'Mechs? The base model MTR-5K is used by AFFS, LAAF and DCMS. Scout model MTR-6E is used by DCMS, and you can find the "dumbed-down" model MTR-6K in LAAF and some regiments of AFFS.

There is one more 'Mech I feel it is important to mention. It is CTS-6Y Cestus. You may think about it if you need something smaller (65 tons) and cheaper (BV2=1 701; 11.3 millions C-bills). This machine is very similar to bigger Maelstrom, as it has all-energy armament, a heap of "freezers" to act as engine shielding and maximum amount of armor. However, it is slower (4/6). Weapons are standard variety PPCs and lasers, so it doesn't have the reach.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2011, 13:07:27 »
Its a very solid heavy but the best reason to take it esp once TW changed TAG rules was having a very solid heavy that could also call in homing Arrow IV rounds.  Its stats and rep are pretty good, but its just never been a Mech I've had a great desire to use. 

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2011, 13:47:13 »
The 6K is too oversinked. When you can run around alpha-striking and being heat-neutral with one engine hit, you have spent too much on heatsinks.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2011, 15:51:09 »
To me Its one of those mechs you look at in the tro and say eh and kind of ****** your head and make the " I'm not sure face" . Its an ok mech, i think part of the problem is it is over sinked. Drop 1 sink from the original , the small laser and half a ton of armor and add 2 ml's. A much better bracket fighter to me.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2011, 16:03:43 »
It is a fast cavalry mech. It has too many heat sinks too little guns. It has not aged well and there are a lot of cavalry units that are better (I know, I know, this has to happen). Why use one? Because it is fast, it has good weapons and it is has a low BV for what it can deliver. It is one of the best heavy mechs that House Kurita can use.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Ferrosol

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2011, 16:12:34 »
I love the thing. But I am a predominantly free worlds player so a fast 5/8 heavy with TAG is practically manna from heaven. Could it be more efficient? certainly is it still a decent mech despite its flaws, definitely!

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2011, 17:24:22 »
I think the energy weapons and the sinks and the toughness (for an IS XL Cav mech) let it work difrent ways than other cav mechs.  The Rakshasa gets hot and has to watch its LRM ammo, the Falconer has to husband its GR rounds, etc.  The Maelstrom can get its hands dirtier than most and be more of a direct supporter to front line units, rather than a unit that has to sit back either because of longivity concerns, or because the enemy will surely kill it if it can.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2011, 22:06:05 »
The 6K is too oversinked. When you can run around alpha-striking and being heat-neutral with one engine hit, you have spent too much on heatsinks.

That makes it a pretty good choice for squaring off with plasma rifles and Inferno SRM boats.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2011, 23:24:34 »
I use it for skirmishing, taking advantage of its speed and firepower to hunt other mechs down and try to get into their backfield. Its being overheatsinked works in its favor during campaign play as loosing a few doesn't hurt.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2011, 13:24:17 »
The Maelstrom is the spiritual predecessor to the Prefect. A high endurance heavy cav unit well suited to skirmishing and bossing around lighter weight opposition.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2011, 13:45:29 »
Its a very solid heavy but the best reason to take it esp once TW changed TAG rules was having a very solid heavy that could also call in homing Arrow IV rounds.  Its stats and rep are pretty good, but its just never been a Mech I've had a great desire to use.

Completely agree with Ian here. Back when I played in the Fan Council, the Maelstrom served me more than once as a command Mech for a FedSuns combined arms force facing off against Clans. The TAG ability meant Clan units didn't want to close in on him. Effectively the TAG made a bubble of doom around the Maelstrom thanks to the power of the four Arrow IV homing missiles a round dropping from the hidden Demolisher AIV variants.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2011, 22:42:34 »

You aren't alpha striking then, it builds up 32 heat from the weapons.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Neufeld

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 25 September 2011, 06:36:09 »
You aren't alpha striking then, it builds up 32 heat from the weapons.

2xMedium Laser = 2x3 = 6
3xSmall Laser = 3x1 = 3
1xPPC = 10
1xLarge Laser = 8

6+3+10+8= 27, not 32

-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2011, 07:55:00 »
The 6K is basically an easy downgrade from the 6E, just using all-standard weapons in place of the ER models. Since literally nothing else is changed, that's a simple class A refit, readily doable even in the field. (The same holds true for the reverse operation, of course.)

I find it amusing that the 'Mech's writeup on Sarna.net claims that the 6E was the "short-lived prototype" to the 6K due to fears that the 6E's weapons would build up too much heat -- at worst, a running alpha strike would put you at +4, and that's assuming you're in small laser range... I would have figured that the 6K owed its existence more to parts shortage ("Oops, fresh out of ER large lasers, but we still have a few Succession Wars-vintage spares lying around that should fit...") than anything else.

Still, being oversinked isn't always a bad thing, depending on who and where you're fighting. And if it really bugs you that much, restoring the 'Mech to full 6E performance levels essentially takes only two replacement weapons and some elbow grease.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 25 September 2011, 11:31:42 »
2xMedium Laser = 2x3 = 6
3xSmall Laser = 3x1 = 3
1xPPC = 10
1xLarge Laser = 8

6+3+10+8= 27, not 32

+5 for 1 engine hit = 32

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 25 September 2011, 11:57:37 »
2xMedium Laser = 2x3 = 6
3xSmall Laser = 3x1 = 3
1xPPC = 10
1xLarge Laser = 8

6+3+10+8= 27, not 32

Oh, I see, the problem is not that you aren't alpha striking, it's that you aren't using a 6K. The 6K has an ER PPC, see RS: 3058U.

Neufeld

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 25 September 2011, 12:03:10 »
Oh, I see, the problem is not that you aren't alpha striking, it's that you aren't using a 6K. The 6K has an ER PPC, see RS: 3058U.

Not in my copy of RS3058U unabridged Inner Sphere, page 283. 5K and 6E has an ER PPC, 6K has an ordinary PPC.

-- Grendel Roberts
"
-- Elias Crichell

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 25 September 2011, 12:09:15 »
Interesting, mine has the Excalibur on p. 283 with the 6K on p. 296 with an ER PPC.

Neufeld

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 25 September 2011, 13:06:35 »
Yes, looks like it got changed between 3058U and 3058U unabridged.

EDIT:

Probably to correspond better to the fluff text in TRO3058U:
Downgrading the main weapons from ER to standard solves the heat problem

What heat problem?  ::)
« Last Edit: 25 September 2011, 13:10:02 by Neufeld »

-- Grendel Roberts
"
-- Elias Crichell

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 26 September 2011, 10:30:27 »
The Magical one, like the heat problem the 3025 hunchback had, or the panther...

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 26 September 2011, 16:12:37 »
i don't know how you feel about customs, but i figured there may be a demand. O0

I can tell you that: Customs go onto one of the "Fan Designs" forums, in this case the one for BattleMechs. That's precisely what they're for.

(The main reason not to post them elsewhere is that the actual Catalyst folk on these boards would prefer not to see fan-submitted material they might later be accused -- probably wrongly, but there's no accounting for litigation -- of ripping off. So in order to not drive them away from the forums altogether the polite thing to do is post such things where they'll know not to look.)

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #27 on: 26 September 2011, 18:30:44 »
woops, didn't realize that was policy now.  was wondering where my post went...
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #28 on: 29 September 2011, 21:26:36 »
The Maelstrom is the spiritual descendant of the Liao 3025 Marauder. Yes, it's effective, but the mismatched PPC/LL bugs me; it's not that hard to go full ERLL or ERPPC. That, and the fact that the XLFE isn't really being taken advantage of. I have done a SFE Maelstrom , for only 5 tons less.
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Register