Author Topic: Fan Finance 2.0 Questions  (Read 194080 times)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Re: Fan Finance 2.0 Questions
« Reply #90 on: 05 February 2015, 21:46:53 »
I just re-read the other sticky. My only remaining question is, then, "how much?"

This is from the Fan Finance 2.0 Guidelines thread (link below).

During this step, we will also determine the cost for the sculpt as well and for some there is a flat rate for new sculpts, such as Mechs $800 and Vehicle $500. Additional variant parts to new sculpt depending what is involved might be extra cost.

Basically, the people funding the APCs are getting 3 vees for the price of 2!   O0

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-financing-2-0/fan-finance-2-0-guidelines/
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #91 on: 06 February 2015, 00:42:41 »

Basically, the people funding the APCs are getting 3 vees for the price of 2!   O0

So now I am confused. I thought we are getting vouchers for the store or do we get the vouchers to get the mechs or vees we are funding?

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #92 on: 06 February 2015, 00:57:39 »
Funders get vouchers to the IWM store.

GRUD is referring to estimated cost of scupting a vehicle was $500 per vehicle and that B-3 has agreed to scuplt the three APCs for $1,000 (so the funders are getting three scuplted APCs for the cost of two).
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #93 on: 06 February 2015, 01:07:28 »
Ah OK thank you my noble friend

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 06 February 2015, 01:14:11 »
So now I am confused. I thought we are getting vouchers for the store or do we get the vouchers to get the mechs or vees we are funding?

We get Store Credit equal to the dollar amount we pledge toward the funding.  I meant the people funding the 3 APCs essentially get 3 vees funded for the price of 2.  I didn't pay any towards funding them, but I'll Probably buy the APCs once they're released.  Whether you hang on to your Store Credit until the minis are released is up to you.  With the Old Fan Funding, I had the impression some people held on to their credit for a ridiculously long time, which is Probably partly why Sawbones doesn't want to have anything to do with it anymore.  He was the one keeping track of how much Credit each person had, and they were dragging their feet about using it.  This new system/method should eliminate that part of the headache at least.   O0

I Apologize for the confusion.    :-\

Annnnd I've been Roosterboy'd while Previewing my reply!   :D Damn dialup!  #P
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #95 on: 06 February 2015, 04:47:17 »
Ah OK thank you my noble friend

No worries mate  O0

Annnnd I've been Roosterboy'd while Previewing my reply!   :D Damn dialup!  #P

Sorry mate, I was just trying to cover your back  :-[

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #96 on: 06 February 2015, 07:24:20 »
Speck,

Will the vouchers or credit be redeemable at the IWM booth at Gen Con?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #97 on: 06 February 2015, 08:32:00 »
As the Guidelines say, each Quarter there will be a new suggestion thread and then poll. The top 6 will have the option to be funded.

As of now we already have the winners of the first poll for this quarter, which are below.

Primitive Rifleman RFL-1N XTRO Primitives IV      40 (9.2%)
Armored Personnel Carriers (Tracked, Wheeled, Hover)   26 (6%)
Primitive Griffin GRF-1A XTRO Primitives IV              25 (5.8%)
Highlander HGN-732 resculpt TRO 3050U         25 (5.8%)
Black Knight “Red Reaper” XTRO Most Wanted      24 (5.5%)
Flashman resculpt TRO 3025 (revised) /3039 / 3050U   24 (5.5%)

The question that I have is there a way to poll how much people are willing to pay, rather then have people who are not willing to put any money saying what they would like? I noticed that the new mini of the APC's was funded in less the first 24 hours of being open, and yet the much more popular by votes alternate is still not funded after three days (I believe it will be).  I am willing to put money towards new after we have new then alternates but not so much resculpts.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #98 on: 06 February 2015, 08:47:22 »
Speck,

Will the vouchers or credit be redeemable at the IWM booth at Gen Con?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

no, since they are run through the webstore gift voucher system. As soon as I have the list of those who pledged money, they will get a email from the webstore about the voucher. So at that point it is managed through the online store. In the past fan finance credit was never redeemable at conventions. In part because of how the shows are run and that they handle all of the transaction separate from how IWM webstore is run.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 07 February 2015, 08:10:51 »
Sorry mate, I was just trying to cover your back  :-[

As you just said yourself, No Worries!   O0

It's not YOUR fault the County I live in thinks the Steam Engine is "Hi Tech"!   :o

:D

I swear to God, I get tempted more and more every day to try that "Internet via Avian Protocol" system.   :P

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #100 on: 07 February 2015, 09:58:52 »
Hey we are not much better downunder. The Blessed Blake has smiled on me, the suburb I live in is one of the few places in the country that been upgraded from dial-up (we used to just use a 3G mobile phone network USB modem it was that bad) to the cutting edge of the NBN (aka Fibre To The Home) in all its 50/20Mbps glory (I can get 100/40Mbps if I want to pay alot more for it).

Due to a change of Federal Government (I will lightly tippy-toe around the Forum Rule No 4 and 7 landmines), the NBN roll-out has been scaled back to be Fibre To The Node. So everybody else downunder will still be relying on the last few hundred metres of ancient, under-maintained copper twisted pair to deliver their "high-speed" broadband (limited to a max of 25Mbps) when they finally get the NBN roll-out.

cavalier1645

• Lieutenant
  • "Train the Force...OPFOR"
« Reply #101 on: 07 February 2015, 17:13:34 »
The question that I have is there a way to poll how much people are willing to pay, rather then have people who are not willing to put any money saying what they would like? I noticed that the new mini of the APC's was funded in less the first 24 hours of being open, and yet the much more popular by votes alternate is still not funded after three days (I believe it will be).  I am willing to put money towards new after we have new then alternates but not so much resculpts.

Same here I don't want results or Alternatives and be willing to put money towards new mechs, vehicles and especially power armor.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #102 on: 10 February 2015, 14:08:20 »
it depends upon the unit. first two were 1000 and 800 dollars.

Alright. Well, when there's a cost estimate for the Dragoon and/or Vector, let me know and I'll pony up some dough. :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 10 February 2015, 14:10:04 »
Same here I don't want results or Alternatives and be willing to put money towards new mechs, vehicles and especially power armor.

Same opinion. I have $$$ to burn, but not for "let's do the 3rd version of another 3025 unit." Lots of units with no minis left to finish.

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #104 on: 10 February 2015, 14:26:57 »

Alright. Well, when there's a cost estimate for the Dragoon and/or Vector, let me know and I'll pony up some dough. :)

Would you still be willing to support the Basilisk Quad as well? I didn't suggest it in the other thread since you had already posted it, but unfortunately it never made the poll. I'd be able to put a good 200$ towards it if it ever does make the cut.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #105 on: 10 February 2015, 16:51:21 »

Please look over the Guidelines for how units are selected. They can be found in the here.

The poll is what determines which ones will be done and the process is restarted each quarter.

cavalier1645

• Lieutenant
« Reply #106 on: 10 February 2015, 17:30:42 »

Same opinion. I have $$$ to burn, but not for "let's do the 3rd version of another 3025 unit." Lots of units with no minis left to finish.

Unfortunately they tend to be the ones who dominate the polls for new fan finance.  :(
But I was encouraged by the support for APC vehicle, even though its one I would never buy. Its encouraging to see people support more vehicles then lets have same mechs redone.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #107 on: 10 February 2015, 18:10:09 »
Hmm.. So probably not for another year or two, then. Until all 6 of those stacked above it are completed. Oh well, I tried. :)

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #108 on: 10 February 2015, 19:32:31 »
Ideally, we will be doing two each month, so we should get through the first 6 in about three months.  :D
"Don't start nothin' won't be nothin' " - J

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #109 on: 10 February 2015, 19:34:53 »
Unfortunately they tend to be the ones who dominate the polls for new fan finance.  :(
But I was encouraged by the support for APC vehicle, even though its one I would never buy. Its encouraging to see people support more vehicles then lets have same mechs redone.

This is why I am hoping that we can get the next poll modified so that it is not what is the most popular, but what are people willing to throw money at. The much more popular Primitive Rifleman RFL-1N took about a week to get to its funding level, yet the APC's that needed more money and was about half as popular took less than a day. My first thought is that put in the post asking people to not vote if they are not willing to put any money into a project, second thought is have them put in the comment section how much/what they are willing to put it towards. For example, I am willing to put $XXX towards unit XXX, or I am willing to spend XXX on what ever. Something like that.

Ideally, we will be doing two each month, so we should get through the first 6 in about three months.  :D

Hopefuly, but of the next four two are resculpts, one is a Primitive and the last is an alternate. I could see it being hard to get funding for them all. I put in some of my monthly game funds to help with the APC's but looking over the list it is proably the only one that I will help fund of the six, so I will just have to wait for the next quarter and hope that some more new stuff gets added. (by new I mean stuff that does not have a version of it, be it 3025, 3050, primitive, etc.)

Primitive Rifleman RFL-1N XTRO Primitives IV      40 (9.2%)
Armored Personnel Carriers (Tracked, Wheeled, Hover)   26 (6%) FUNDED
Primitive Griffin GRF-1A XTRO Primitives IV              25 (5.8%)
Highlander HGN-732 resculpt TRO 3050U         25 (5.8%)
Black Knight “Red Reaper” XTRO Most Wanted      24 (5.5%)
Flashman resculpt TRO 3025 (revised) /3039 / 3050U   24 (5.5%)
« Last Edit: 10 February 2015, 19:43:08 by mike19k »

cavalier1645

• Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: 10 February 2015, 19:38:13 »
This is why I am hoping that we can get the next poll modified so that it is not what is the most popular, but what are people willing to throw money at. The much more popular Primitive Rifleman RFL-1N took about a week to get to its funding level, yet the APC's that needed more money and was about half as popular took less than a day. My first thought is that put in the post asking people to not vote if they are not willing to put any money into a project, second thought is have them put in the comment section how much/what they are willing to put it towards. For example, I am willing to put $XXX towards unit XXX, or I am willing to spend XXX on what ever. Something like that.

Ya that would be good, because there where many mechs and vehicles I would have been willing to help fund, but didn't vote on cause I was trying to get my choice voted in.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #111 on: 10 February 2015, 20:33:08 »

So how long does it take you to sculpt something? Do you freehand or use a computer?
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #112 on: 10 February 2015, 21:26:52 »

I think this is a good suggestion for speck and B-3 to consider. I voted for both the Primitive Rifleman and the Primitive Griffin because they were the two that I am keen to see made into minis. As I voted for them, I believe that when they come up for funding that I will make a contribution to funding them and I will purchase them when they are in distribution as I am responsible for the vote that I lodged (no matter how big or small that contribution is).

Certainly, if somebody like TigerShark was to vote and pledge that he would fund the entire scuplt then that should be taken into account. However, I assume IWM would also need to balance that with the fact that if TigerShark is the only person who is voted for the mini then it may be possible that he may be the only person interested in purchasing the minis after they go into distribution. It may be a better business case for IWM and be better for the fan financing program if popular minis are fan financed (even if it take one week to get it financed instead of one day), go into production and sell like hotcakes.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #113 on: 10 February 2015, 23:21:10 »

Whoah! really? I was expecting more like quarterly! Cool! 8)
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #114 on: 10 February 2015, 23:41:30 »
3 months is quarterly.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #115 on: 11 February 2015, 08:49:27 »
So doing 2 every month is not quarterly, it's monthly.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #116 on: 11 February 2015, 10:40:42 »
I think this is a good suggestion for speck and B-3 to consider. I voted for both the Primitive Rifleman and the Primitive Griffin because they were the two that I am keen to see made into minis. As I voted for them, I believe that when they come up for funding that I will make a contribution to funding them and I will purchase them when they are in distribution as I am responsible for the vote that I lodged (no matter how big or small that contribution is).

Certainly, if somebody like TigerShark was to vote and pledge that he would fund the entire scuplt then that should be taken into account. However, I assume IWM would also need to balance that with the fact that if TigerShark is the only person who is voted for the mini then it may be possible that he may be the only person interested in purchasing the minis after they go into distribution. It may be a better business case for IWM and be better for the fan financing program if popular minis are fan financed (even if it take one week to get it financed instead of one day), go into production and sell like hotcakes.
Definitely something to think about, the other side is even if you have say 100 people vote for something will they all buy it or do they just think it is cool but have no plans of buying? Also if using your example TigerShark is willing to fully fund something would others vote for it if they are not going to put money towards it, but still may want to buy it?

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #117 on: 11 February 2015, 11:11:12 »
So how long does it take you to sculpt something? Do you freehand or use a computer?

It usually takes me 1-2 weeks to sculpt a Mech depending on complexity of design.  Vehicles take 1 week or less depending on complexity of design and size.  I do everything by hand at this point.  I have done some CAD work using Rhino but prefer hand sculpting.  I also do my own RTV molds and cast pewter masters which makes production mold shrinkage minimal at IWM.
"Don't start nothin' won't be nothin' " - J

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #118 on: 11 February 2015, 11:27:26 »
Solutions:

1. Put some kind of official poll on IWM's website for people who have accounts and, say, credit card purchases on file as the only ones capable of voting. Something to verify people are actually going to buy and not just vote on "fanboy-ism". Or mass-mail people and give options.

2. Mass-mail a poll to former clients who've made purchases and count the votes manually.

3. Have voting only for new minis and let re-sculpts be fan financed in a "resculpt" thread. This way there's always a mix of the two being accomplished. Not that I feel most of these things NEED resculpts, but if there's a demand, there's money to be made.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2015, 11:30:27 by TigerShark »

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 11 February 2015, 11:46:01 »
It's almost like there needs to be a 2-Poll System used.  The first Poll is for all the Suggestions (like we recently did), while the 2nd Poll would be for the top 10-12, to select the 6 that would actually get funded.  In essence, the 1st Poll would be "What would you like to see made?", while the 2nd would be "What would you help fund?", I guess.  Sure, it takes longer and is slightly more work, but maybe it would make things go smoother next time?   ???  As mike19k has already suggested, this would help sort out the "Most Popular" from "What would you throw money at?", I think.  If it turns out we get a few tied (like this last poll), so it gives us more than 12 Nominees for the 2nd Poll, go ahead and keep them all.

At least one suggestion in this first poll received 0 Votes, most likely because the person that suggested it voted for others on the list they wanted more.  I think another only had 1 vote, while there were several that only received 4-6 votes.  Personally, I think there were too many Nominations for the Poll.   :-\

Regarding the Resculpt of the Flashman and Highlander, I still think there needs to be a thread for them, so people can let it be known what they think is "Wrong" with the current mini.  Otherwise, there will simply be more complaining when the Resculpts come out, and Whatever it is that people thought was "Wrong" is unchanged.    :-X