Author Topic: An American Tanker in Prince Davion's Court  (Read 28532 times)

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
Re: An American Tanker in Prince Davion's Court
« Reply #180 on: 22 August 2023, 21:45:32 »
I hope Hodges visits Monte Cassino... the Polish Cemetary there is something else!
Other locations on the itinerary are the Normandy American cemetery in Colville-sur-mer and of course, Pointe du Hoc.

Though, 1,000+ years of erosion will have lowered the elevation of the cliffs considerably

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #181 on: 24 August 2023, 11:46:55 »
I detect a certain amount of cynicism here...

With Hodges' immense personal prestige and influence in the equation, things will be different.
Notice that Hodges has already released the Pirate space back to the houses who have never done well at keep them Pirate Free.   Kinda disappointed as I expected # of pirate(merc) bands to pop up again in those regions.   

Glad to see that the Stars End Campaign was as costly as it should have been..  Now the true question, what the condition of the yard and who hands is it in.

Pointe du Hoc.

Though, 1,000+ years of erosion will have lowered the elevation of the cliffs considerably
and for many in the 3050+ universe the need to do what the Rangers did will not be understood well.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #182 on: 24 August 2023, 17:58:40 »
Notice that Hodges has already released the Pirate space back to the houses who have never done well at keep them Pirate Free.   Kinda disappointed as I expected # of pirate(merc) bands to pop up again in those regions.   
I can but hope that such is not the case. Perhaps the Star League will take an active hand in keeping the area pacified

Glad to see that the Stars End Campaign was as costly as it should have been..  Now the true question, what the condition of the yard and who hands is it in.
When I read that the Star's End system had a functional SDS (albeit a primitive one), I knew that the campaign to take it wasn't going to be cheap.

I'll have to write something about the shipyard in a future update

and for many in the 3050+ universe the need to do what the Rangers did will not be understood well.
That's why Hodges will have reverted to his instructor/professor mode while visiting the sites mentioned; his lectures will have been extensively recorded so they can be used as a teaching tool

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #183 on: 24 August 2023, 20:35:22 »
One thing's for certain.

When Hodges gets back home to Bristol, his in-box is going to be positively overflowing with papers. documents and correspondence that will have to be attended to.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #184 on: 24 August 2023, 20:38:43 »
I can but hope that such is not the case. Perhaps the Star League will take an active hand in keeping the area pacified
Part of the problem will be learning to focus outward, plus everyone likes to have totally deniable agents to hit your enemies.   Plus some of these area are challenge to get in/out safe makes it a great place to go to ground.  Pirates will be back.

When I read that the Star's End system had a functional SDS (albeit a primitive one), I knew that the campaign to take it wasn't going to be cheap.

I'll have to write something about the shipyard in a future update
I will be waiting to hear more about it.  That SDS system I expected had lots of "Mass Drivers/Naval Gauss Rifles" used for cargo moving or launching slugs to remove problems, after all until warships become a thing again, most dropships popped nicely when hit once.

That's why Hodges will have reverted to his instructor/professor mode while visiting the sites mentioned; his lectures will have been extensively recorded so they can be used as a teaching tool
:cool:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #185 on: 24 August 2023, 20:44:33 »
I'm curious where will this lead next.  He's practically wrapped up the universe
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #186 on: 26 August 2023, 13:08:29 »
I'm curious where will this lead next.  He's practically wrapped up the universe
One though I have been giving some consideration is Hodges' own colonization expedition.

What would be the optimal size for a new colony, and how many Potemkin-class ships would be needed to transport it?

Because Hodges remembers watching the Voyager missions take off, he's minded to find the probes, bring them back to Earth and put them in the Smithsonian 

Kujo

• Sergeant
« Reply #187 on: 27 August 2023, 00:35:06 »
Thats if one or both of the Probes haven't gone V'Ger (or Nomad  :cheesy:)on them and is seeking the 'creator'! azn

'V'Ger' "are you the Hodges..."

Hodges "how did Star Trek work it's way into Battletech", thinking do I have to worry about 40k??? :grin:
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #188 on: 27 August 2023, 11:17:33 »
One though I have been giving some consideration is Hodges' own colonization expedition.

What would be the optimal size for a new colony, and how many Potemkin-class ships would be needed to transport it?

Because Hodges remembers watching the Voyager missions take off, he's minded to find the probes, bring them back to Earth and put them in the Smithsonian

One person did an estimate for a million-person Mars colony, with a list of what jobs would be needed.  Here is the url to the first part of the thought experiment (for those not logged in, do a google search for "Marshall Brain Mars million person" and it should be the first link)

The other idea is wondering how much can be made with a shipment of high-tech stuff and local materials.  Here is a page that gives an overview of a <9 ton platform whose purpose is to convert a small asteroid into a space station. (site is universe today, look for "asteroid into space habitat in 12 years")

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #189 on: 27 August 2023, 12:22:31 »
Interesting links, despite the communist vibes...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #190 on: 27 August 2023, 17:01:13 »

Hodges well that would solve the "Peace Tech" that the universe is currently in..  With Hodges gone..  and his rep, maybe becoming like "King Arthur" and to return when greatly needed.

Or the Aliens who currently have them, or the planet they ran into

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #191 on: 27 August 2023, 17:14:57 »
Hodges well that would solve the "Peace Tech" that the universe is currently in..  With Hodges gone..  and his rep, maybe becoming like "King Arthur" and to return when greatly needed.
I wasn't thinking so much of Hodges leading the expedition, but sending one forth

Or the Aliens who currently have them, or the planet they ran into
Both voyagers are in interstellar space. As of the present date ITTL, Voyager has traveled just under 3.25 trillion miles.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2023, 12:07:46 by Dreadpool »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #192 on: 27 August 2023, 19:47:50 »
so just the aliens who intercepted them... or the odd space rock.  :shocked:

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #193 on: 28 August 2023, 12:10:06 »
so just the aliens who intercepted them... or the odd space rock.  :shocked:
I haven't decided whether or not to introduce intelligent alien species ITTL

As for encountering space rocks, the distance between objects in the Oort Cloud is 31 million miles or so

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #194 on: 28 August 2023, 17:20:12 »
As for encountering space rocks, the distance between objects in the Oort Cloud is 31 million miles or so
and how many golden BB shots have their been.  :grin: :rolleyes:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #195 on: 28 August 2023, 17:32:38 »
Golden BBs are somewhat more likely than hitting one of those... ;)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #196 on: 28 August 2023, 19:12:30 »
Be mindful that Hodges is getting old. He didn't have any of that Star League grade prolong life treatments some characters have inherited.

His descendants would need be the one carry on his teachings unless that unusual AI he found in a Star League ship can digitize him.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #197 on: 28 August 2023, 19:37:00 »
Given his status, he might just get one of those SL treatments... ;)

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #198 on: 29 August 2023, 09:04:05 »
Be mindful that Hodges is getting old. He didn't have any of that Star League grade prolong life treatments some characters have inherited.

His descendants would need be the one carry on his teachings unless that unusual AI he found in a Star League ship can digitize him.
Indeed.

Hodges was born in 1969 and the event that brought him into the BT-verse happened in 2018; at that time, he had been CG of III Corps at Fort Hood for three years.

At the time of his arrival in 3028, Hodges was 49 years old. As the present date ITTL is 3052, this means that Hodges is now 73. Given his immense value to the Inner Sphere and elsewhere, he'd certainly be receiving those anti-agathic treatments...

Beyond that, the possibility of having Hodges' mind downloaded into a Momtana-class system monitor or a Galactica-class CV is certainly appealing.

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #199 on: 29 August 2023, 15:06:39 »
To paraphrase the chairman and CEO of the Very Big Corporation of America"
"We are faced with the question of how much there is still left to do..."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #200 on: 29 August 2023, 17:56:20 »
In a truly infinite universe, there's ALWAYS more to do... ;)

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #201 on: 29 August 2023, 18:20:35 »
In a truly infinite universe, there's ALWAYS more to do... ;)
Indeed.

Sooner or later, Hodges will retire; then perhaps, another battlefield is in order.

Politics.

He's already turned down the posts of First Lord and CG of the SLDF.

I'm thinking that he'd make a good senator....

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #202 on: 29 August 2023, 18:25:39 »
A dangerous one, at least! ;)

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #203 on: 29 August 2023, 21:08:53 »
A dangerous one, at least! ;)
There's nothing quite so dangerous as an honest politician...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #204 on: 30 August 2023, 16:51:54 »
Indeed.

Sooner or later, Hodges will retire; then perhaps, another battlefield is in order.

Politics.

He's already turned down the posts of First Lord and CG of the SLDF.

I'm thinking that he'd make a good senator....
Not sure he will survive the senate run, to honest

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #205 on: 13 December 2023, 15:57:52 »
At long last, hereafter follows ye next update....

Safe and sound at Home again
September 7th, 3052
Cardiff, Bristol

'Safe and sound at home again, let the waters roar, Jack.
Safe and sound at home again, let the waters roar, Jack.
Long we've tossed on the rolling main, now we're safe ashore, Jack.
Don't forget yer old shipmate, faldee raldee raldee raldee rye-eye-doe!

We have worked the self-same gun, quarterdeck division.
Sponger I and loader you, through the whole commission.
Long we've tossed on the rolling main, now we're safe ashore, Jack.
Don't forget yer old shipmate, faldee raldee raldee raldee rye-eye-doe!'

After returning home to Bristol, Field Marshal Hodges joyously reunites with the rest of his family. He's first greeted by his wife Kym, and then by his son Richard (who has his wife Ranna by his side) whio snaps off a perect parade-ground salute and says "hello, dad. I'm glad to see you made it through the pirate campaign unharmed. I also see that you've got some more fruit salad on your chest."

"Hello, Richard. Indeed I do; there was never any question that the pirates were going to lose; the only questions were how long the campaign was going to take and how many casualties were going to be taken. As it stands, I lost one of my Essex-class destroyers with all hands, while the other members of the AEF took heavy danmage to one of their Congress-class frigates and one of their Potemkin-class troop cruisers; one of their Black Lion-class battlecruisers was also moderately damaged."

"Good copy on that. I presume that you're making the customary arrangements for the next of kin?"

"I certainly am. If the survivors have a mortgage, it's being paid off; the children (if any) will have their college educations paid for, and the familes will receive free medical care for the rest of their lives. After all, it's only right and proper to look after the families of those who followed me into battle and didn't come home."

After Richard and his wife depart, Kym Hodges looks her husband in the eye and says "that expression on your face says that you've got something to tell me..."

"Yes I do, oh heart of my heart. When I was on Terra, I had a private meeting with the First Prince. During that meeting, he asked me to run for the office of Senator from the Crucis March; under the terms of the constitution of the Second Star League, each member state is entitle to three seats in the Senate."

"Well, that's ceratinly quite a surprise. What did you say?"

"My dear, I told the First Prince that I'd be delighted to run for office; provided you gave me the go-ahead. I also said that, if I won election, I'd play no favorites."

"Jim, I never met anyone who'd be better-suited for such a role than you. Now that you're officially-retired from active service, you'll eb home much more than you were previously, even if you do win."

"Thank you, my dear. Your vote of confidence is greatly appreciated. And now, to the matters at hand. How are things going with business and industry here on Bristol and on the other planets in the territory?"

"You'll be pleased to know that your factories and shipyards have all the business they can handle, and then some. The weapons factories are running three shifts a day, seven days a week and are barely able to keep up with the pace of orders. As for your tanks, the order books are full for the next three years; of course, all the tanks produced for sale outside the Federated Commonwealth are the export model."

"That's good to know. How's the Treasury doing?"

"I'm pleased to report that I consulted with the Secretary of the Treasury, and he tell me that tax receipts are at an all-time high; inflation is under control and everything else is running smoothly."

"Excellent; keeping the bean-counters happy is always a good thing. What's the status of the mining fleet?"

"At present, the fleet consists of a pair of Vulcan-II factory ships, four Potemkin-II mining ships and 24 Snowden-class mining stations; all of these have their customarty complement of miningmechs  and small craft. Fleet Commodore Dana says that his people have compiled a list the most-promising bodies in Bristol's asteroid belt, and that the fleet is harvesting from them in order of size from the smallest to the largest; these asteroids are named for similarly-sized bodies in the Sol system's asteroid belt. When I fisrt staryed reading reports on what the fleet had found, I almost couldn't believe my eyes; the amount of material out there is simply mind-boggling. For example, a report from the Astrogeolgical Survey shows that the asteroid known as '8-Ball' masses 1.1 trillion tons, with a volume of just over 98 cubic miles. Elemental analysis of 8-Ball's composition shows that it's makeup is composed of 92% iron, 6.5% nickel, 0.75% cobalt, 1,190 ppm germanium, 1,020 ppm chromium, 500 ppm titanium, 200 ppm copper, 115 ppm manganese, 20.5 ppm tungsten, 5 ppm rhenium, 25 ppm ruthenium, 6 ppm rhodium, 10 ppm palladium, 25 ppm osmium, 22 ppm iridium, 28.8 ppm platinum and 75 ppm gallium; the shipyards in the Draconis Combine, the Free Worlds League, the Capellan Confederation, the Periphery and those in the Terran Hegemony are clamoring to buy all of the germanium and titanium that can be spared."

"What kind of numbers are we talking about?"

"Jim, based on 8-Ball's size and composition, there's 550,000,000 tons of titanium and just over 1,300,000,000 tons of germanium available in this one rock alone. For this reason, 8-Ball has a Vulcan-II factory ship, two Potemkin-II's and 8 of the Snowden-II's in attendance. The remainder of the fleet is harvesting other targets in the asteroid belt, namely EB86-II (at 1.763 trillion tons), DA86-II (at 100 billion tons) and ED85-II (at 37 billion tons); EB86-II has the other Vulcan-II in attendance; it, DA-86-II and ED85-II each have eight Snowden-II's. As for the other pair of Potemkin-IIs, they rotate between these three asteroids on a regular basis."

"I assume that there's no trouble wirth extracting the metals from any of those asteroids."

"Not at all, Jim. Using those Potemkin-class troop cruisers to move large numbers of miningmechs and small craft (plus transporting raw materials up from the surfaces of the asteroids) was a brilliant idea; so was adapting the Naval Laser-55s carried by the Potemkins towards the task of cutting up the surface of asteroids into manageable chunks."

"How are the production rates?"

"Well, that portion of the mining fleet stationed around 8-ball is processing 2.5 billion tons of raw material per year; this translates to 2,300,000,000 tons of iron, 162,500,000 tons of nickel, 18,750,000 tons of cobalt, 2,975,000 tons of germanium, 2,550,000 tons of chromium, 1,250,000 tons of titanium, 500,000 tons of copper, 287,500 tons of manganese, 51,250 tons of tungsten, 62,500 tons of ruthenium, 15,000 tons of rhodium, 12,500 tons of rhenium, 25,000 tons of palladium, 62,500 tons of osmium, 55,000 tons of iridium, 72,000 tons of platinum and 187,500 tons of gallium."             

Hodges tents his fingers at his desk and replies "as a crusty old gentleman named Montgomery Burns once said...'Excellent'."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #206 on: 13 December 2023, 19:29:30 »
Welcome back

Now I hope Hodges survives his run for senate, and no "lone wolf" takes him out for "what he did" in service.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #207 on: 13 December 2023, 21:26:18 »
Heck, the wife needs to be running for her own Senate seat with that much going on under her watch! :)

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #208 on: 13 December 2023, 22:00:28 »
Welcome back
It's nice to be back

Now I hope Hodges survives his run for senate, and no "lone wolf" takes him out for "what he did" in service.
Kym Hodges is supremely capable; one of the several reasons why Field Marshal Hodges married her.

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #209 on: 23 March 2024, 12:43:52 »
On the campaign trail
September 8th, 3052-November 5th, 3053

By the end of September 3052, Filed Marshal Hodges makes his decision in regards to his political future and decides to udertake the race for the Star League Senate. Over the next year, Hodges crisscrosses the Crucis March, visiting the main worlds and making numerous campaign stops. His opponents are in the race not so much to win as they are to keep Hodges form running unopposed. On Election Day November 5th, 3053, Hodges returns home to Bristol to cats the very first vote; then to his hosue to watch as the returns start to come in. Due to the vast distances involved, it takes the better part of the next two weeks to tabulate the vote. Not surprisingly, the run-up to the election, the election itself and the tabulation of the vote attracts a great deal of attention from the several news organizations across the Inner Sphere.

On November 19th, 3053, the results are announced. To noone's great surprise, Hodges wins the vote by a virtual landslide; the percentage in his favor being 68.8%. To their credit, Hodges' challengers gracefully acknowledge his victory. In a psot-election interview on INN (Interstellar News Network), Hodges thanks his wife and family for standing by his side during the election, as well as all of those who worked on his campaign. In closng, Hodges states emphatically that affairs of government won't just be business as usual, and that he'll play no favorites.

January 4th, 3054

Having previously arrived on Terra, Senator Hodges is in Washington D.C on this date to be sworn into office. The occasion is a matter of immense public interest, so there are dozens of reporters on hand from the various news services all across the Inner Sphere and the Periphery. The ceeremony takes place in the Senate chamber in the old U.S Capitol Building, the site of so much history. After the necessary preliminaries, it is time for Hodges to take the oath of office. Kym Hodges holds the family bible; Hodges places his right hand upon it and solemnly intones "I, James Hodges do solemnly swear that I will preserve, protect and defend the constituion of the Second Star League against all enemies foreign and domestic and that I will bear true faith and allegiuance to the same. I take this oath freely, without mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office in which I am about to enter, so help me God."

The orther members of the Senate are sworn into office in due course while in the House of Representatives, the same is being done with that body's members. Once the last oaths have been sworn, the Senate and the House of Representatives are gaveled into session and the Inaugural Congress of the Second Star League begins its work. While on Terra for the business of the Senate, Hodges will reside in Willard's Hotel (another D.C landmark that had bene preserved by Comstar. This building is located at 1401-1407 Pennsylvania Avenue; the present structure having been built back in 1906.

The Senate of the Star League is  scheduled to be in session until December 29th. When not engaged in Senate business, Hodges occupies his time with writing new training & education syllabifor use by the SLDF at various installations that have been re-opened by order of the SLDF's commanding General Hanse Davion; among these are the old U.S Military Academy at West Point, Fort Knox Kentucky (armor), Fort Sill Oklahoma (artillery) and Fort Benning Georgia (infantry). Additionally, the old U.S Air Force Academy has been reestablished to provide an addtional training venue for aerospace pilots, while the Command & General Staff College is being reestablished at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Lastly, for warship officers, the U.S Naval Academy has been reopened to train warship officers.   

Register