Author Topic: My modular river project->$10, >10hours, look good, EASY!!!  (Read 3142 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
So, one of the things that the downtime of this forum (as well as the downtime of my work schedule) impelled me to finish was my modular river project.

A long time ago, I purchased a single yard of blue vinyl, cut it into river shapes, and then... left it alone for six months, almost. With the help of my girlfriend, I finally got around to putting thin cardboard underneath the sections and now... viola!

To give you some idea of the scale that even a mere yard of material can give, here's a shot of my living room covered in rivers (and my gf's cat wandering through):

Here's a closer shot of the two sections that are meant to be 'sea-shore' bodies of water, along with a network of rivers leading to them:

for tabletop purposes, I'm dividing (and painting!) the water into three areas: L0 water (shallows), L1 water (waist-high), and everything else. In game terms, the everything else is just... unnecessary complication IMHO. Either it hides a 'Mech or it doesn't. End of.

Though I do need to repaint them a bit; I was a bit too blatant with the DARK and LIGHT and failed to take advantage of the vinyl's natural surface.

Each segment is about 10-12 inches long, and I got around 30 segments of varying thicknesses, along with 3 lakes and 3 'seaside' fronts.

I decided on three thicknesses of river segments: around 3-4 inches, with a band of L2 water in the middle; around 2 inches, with occasional 'pools' of deeper water but mostly meant to act as bridges from the biggest to the smallest; and 1 inch thick, or just enough to act as a barrier.

Also, even that picture fails to show the true extent of my river network:

Leftover sections that I ran out of thin cardboard for. *sobsob*

Finally, the best part of all this work?

It stores in that box pictured above, in a stack like so:

It took me about 8-10 hours of work, all told (half of it spent watching the Pixar movies and cutting), and the fabric cost me barely 5 bucks.

All told, I think it was worth it. Do you?

Next post: I tried too hard and I'm gonna show you the results of doing so, and explain how I'm gonna redo it. Heh....

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Re: My modular river project->$10, >10hours, look good, EASY!!!
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2011, 04:34:41 »
It looks like it'll be a wecome addition to any game.
Can you combine the lake sections to form a larger one?

noobk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2011, 12:08:47 »
Is the Mech Cat an OmniMech by chance?

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2011, 19:58:35 »
It looks like it'll be a wecome addition to any game.
Can you combine the lake sections to form a larger one?
That... is... a brilliant idea. I love it! No, I hadn't done that yet, but heck, I can adapt them no problem to it... might do a bit of cutting, but...

And the cat is purely an ambush design - probably some sort of Javelin variant with IJJs.