Author Topic: I made an Instructional YouTube Series on the AToW Game Mechanics  (Read 17563 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: I made an Instructional YouTube Series on the AToW Game Mechanics
« Reply #30 on: 08 January 2019, 17:10:03 »
I certainly house rule them in, but as I said up thread, I specifically asked TPTB about it, and they said it was a deliberate decision to exclude Link Modifiers.  Here's the link (haha) to my rules question.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 09 January 2019, 18:15:31 »
You're very welcome!  I was probably typing when you mentioned page 89, so I'll be more careful next time.  I look forward to your Life Module video... just let me know when it's up!  :thumbsup:

The life module video is up. It is titled as open for peer review. I'm fairly certain I got everything right; however, I am still sitting on it for a bit until I KNOW everything is as it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n68BQ4fvOo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 09 January 2019, 18:17:07 »
Hmmm... still says "unavailable" to me...  :-\

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 09 January 2019, 18:21:02 »
I second the unavailability of the video.

It could be listed as private, or maybe the video URL changed.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 09 January 2019, 18:42:49 »
OK, this time, I'm pausing the video while commenting... I'd recommend "attributes" vice "scores" when initially describing what the modules provide.  On to the next...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 09 January 2019, 18:45:23 »
Your camera doesn't focus fast enough to see the "Federated Suns" part of the page... that's not necessarily a problem.  When I first made my spreadsheet Herb (the line developer at the time) specifically asked me to "minimize verbatim content", so you're probably good.  Just thought you should know your camera lags your ability to bring the page up to it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 09 January 2019, 18:50:16 »
You might want to mention how long the stages are (i.e., Early Childhood gets you to age 10, Late Childhood to 16, etc.).  If you cover that later, that's good, but it's not a bad idea to mention it early on.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 09 January 2019, 18:54:09 »
When you talk about "Military School", you're actually talking about "Military Academy"... that distinction is probably worth making up front (since "Military Schools" include Enlistment, and OCS).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 09 January 2019, 18:56:52 »
Just to be clear, Cloister Training is only for clan characters...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 09 January 2019, 19:52:42 »
Sorry for the delay there... my wife came home, and we had quite a bit to discuss about our days...

I'm at around 12:00 minutes in the video, and you said "we're 21 when we got out of Prep School"... you're actually 16 when you finish Prep School (Stage 2).  The Military Academy takes as long as is mentioned in its entry based on the Fields you take (which means you could graduate an Academy at 18, if you took the minimum fields (Basic and one Advanced, with no Specials)).

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 09 January 2019, 20:09:24 »
I will definitely fix the age problem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 09 January 2019, 20:10:13 »
Cool... I just got to minute 27 or so... that's pretty funny how you threw in the other complicating factors like age and such...  I'm hoping you're waiting to mention that there are spreadsheets to help with that stuff (mine does age automatically if you enter the durations of each stage properly).

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 09 January 2019, 20:17:19 »
Can you give me a link to your spreadsheet that I can put in the video description? I haven't brought up the spread sheets because I don't have any direct way of people getting to one.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 09 January 2019, 20:28:03 »
Here's the current link to mine, though I'll say it's not the only spreadsheet on the board here (the thread includes instructions): https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=52309.0

I'm at minute 40 now, and you just said "the only way to buy off a negative trait is to buy it's opposing trait".  I'm not sure that's true.  As I understand the rules, you can simply buy off the negative trait by putting points against it until it's zero.  Functionally, it's almost identical, with the exception that you could then further purchase the opposing trait too if you wanted.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 09 January 2019, 20:31:29 »
One other thing I just realized... I'm not sure how you can simply buy another skill field outside of a Stage 3 Life Module (of which you can take more than one, which is probably worth  a mention).  I know you can do it under Point Buy, but I'm not sure otherwise.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 09 January 2019, 20:38:52 »
Good catch at the end there with the minimum +5 TP in Title/Wealth/Property, though I'll also add that simply aging your character a year would require GM approval.  I wouldn't allow it as a GM, but then I offer to do all the heavy lifting for character creation myself (since I'm most familiar with my spreadsheet, and can exercise my judgement on any fudging required... e.g., I usually round in the player's favor when there are single digits left at the end).

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 09 January 2019, 22:40:22 »
Thanks again for your help Daryk. I am going to think about how to best implement your feedback.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 10 January 2019, 04:16:27 »
You're very welcome!  Character creation is one of my favorite things in AToW.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 10 January 2019, 23:21:39 »
I'm still getting a fairly constant stream of views. Accordingly, I've been discussing ways to improve the over all quality of my videos with people. A friend and I discussed how to stop the camera from going in and out of focus. We also discussed ways to turn my guest bedroom into a recording studio, so that you guys don't have to hear my refrigerator running in the background anymore. Lastly, I've been watching some tutorials on how to use editing software.

The life module video will be completely re-recorded. It might take a little bit to get it up, but hopefully the results will be worth it. This is my first time making videos. A little bit of a learning curve should be expected.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2019, 10:25:58 by BiggRigg42 »

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 10 January 2019, 23:43:48 »
Don't ruin yourself with trying to get perfect recording quality and such.

I've unfortunately not been able to watch the most recent video due to other obligations though...

You should be able to switch off autofocus on the camera in the settings. Most of them which have this feature should let you switch it off.

Editing videos can be fun though once you get it figured out though.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 10 January 2019, 23:47:37 »
Don't ruin yourself with trying to get perfect recording quality and such.

I've unfortunately not been able to watch the most recent video due to other obligations though...

You should be able to switch off autofocus on the camera in the settings. Most of them which have this feature should let you switch it off.

Editing videos can be fun though once you get it figured out though.

I will try not to try too hard. Don't worry about not watching the most recent video on the life module system, unless you want to provide feedback. That one will be completely redone.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 11 January 2019, 04:24:12 »
Cool!  I look forward to the next version!  :thumbsup:

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 14 January 2019, 10:24:51 »
My video on the Life Module method for character creation is up. After watching some YouTube video classes on how iMovie works, I fixed the problem with my camera going out of focus. Moreover, I finally caught my refrigerator, so you won't hear it running anymore in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwoIvNEz_Fo&t=0s&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=13

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 14 January 2019, 11:10:40 »
Excellent... I'm still catching my breath after shoveling snow, but will try to get to it today...  :thumbsup:

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 14 January 2019, 12:44:44 »
Excellent... I'm still catching my breath after shoveling snow, but will try to get to it today...  :thumbsup:

Shoveling snow can be so much fun. If you are ok with it, the next video I make may be over how to make a character with your spread sheet. This is simply a thought I just had.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2019, 12:54:36 by BiggRigg42 »

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: 14 January 2019, 13:21:59 »
My video on the Life Module method for character creation is up. After watching some YouTube video classes on how iMovie works, I fixed the problem with my camera going out of focus. Moreover, I finally caught my refrigerator, so you won't hear it running anymore in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwoIvNEz_Fo&t=0s&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=13
You caught the fridge? Where was it "running"?

Okay... I'll stop now...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 14 January 2019, 13:49:53 »
You caught the fridge? Where was it "running"?

Okay... I'll stop now...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 14 January 2019, 13:57:54 »

Shoveling snow can be so much fun. If you are ok with it, the next video I make may be over how to make a character with your spread sheet. This is simply a thought I just had.
I'm totally OK with that!   :thumbsup:

You'll definitely want to link to it, though.  I'm going to go through your latest video shortly, and will comment as I go through like last time.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 14 January 2019, 14:03:45 »
Just started, and it seems to be out of focus right off the bat...