Author Topic: The Hall Auto Repair Shop and Mopar Hall of Fame  (Read 122148 times)

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
Re: The Hall Auto Repair Shop and Mopar Hall of Fame
« Reply #390 on: 27 December 2013, 14:47:43 »
I admit I had a little bit of a shock (badabum ching) when I had to jump the battery on my new cobalt for the first time (due to an error of mine where I hadn't realized a light got left on all night) and was trying to figure out where the cables hooked on. There was a cover over the battery where there almost wasn't enough to clip the positive cable on so I took the cover off. Much to my surprise it looked like no battery I'd ever seen before, completely covered in fuses. Now I say this because the only cars I'd ever changed a battery on were later 90s at oldest so I kind of felt like frankenstein's monster viewing the angry mob... I wanted to run the other direction.  :D I did get the car jumped, but only after a few obligatory curses as I attempted to find a good place to ground the negative cable.  The whole interior under the hood looks like a plastic lunchbox because everything is covered.... fangled designers and what not.   ;)

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #391 on: 27 December 2013, 14:53:46 »
I've been offered the chance to upgrade my truck to a newer model.
Apparently RAM 1500s are very in demand right now.
I might do it if I can keep the same payment and certain accessories I like.

...whadyall think ?

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #392 on: 27 December 2013, 21:58:11 »
Do it, and find a newer RAM.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #393 on: 27 December 2013, 22:39:52 »
I admit I had a little bit of a shock (badabum ching) when I had to jump the battery on my new cobalt for the first time (due to an error of mine where I hadn't realized a light got left on all night) and was trying to figure out where the cables hooked on. There was a cover over the battery where there almost wasn't enough to clip the positive cable on so I took the cover off. Much to my surprise it looked like no battery I'd ever seen before, completely covered in fuses. Now I say this because the only cars I'd ever changed a battery on were later 90s at oldest so I kind of felt like frankenstein's monster viewing the angry mob... I wanted to run the other direction.  :D I did get the car jumped, but only after a few obligatory curses as I attempted to find a good place to ground the negative cable.  The whole interior under the hood looks like a plastic lunchbox because everything is covered.... fangled designers and what not.   ;)

there should be a pair of lugs, one with a red post cover and the other uncovered, the uncovered is your ground the covered one is your positive.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #394 on: 27 December 2013, 22:51:47 »
Do it, and find a newer RAM.

I actually requested an upgrade to a 3025 Warhammer, but the dealer said they only had 3039 Urbies in stock.

(its good to have a dealer who is a geek)

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

wolfgar

• Captain
« Reply #395 on: 28 December 2013, 15:06:58 »
I usually don't have much use for Urbanmechs.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #396 on: 28 December 2013, 16:53:29 »
sadly, no new RAM for me.  Beast didn't have as much equity as I thought.
maybe after tax returns?

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #397 on: 28 December 2013, 20:11:23 »
sadly, no new RAM for me.  Beast didn't have as much equity as I thought.
maybe after tax returns?

bummer

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #398 on: 06 May 2014, 15:51:12 »
Might be getting a '72 Scamp 318 auto...
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #399 on: 07 May 2014, 07:42:48 »
I had a 318 V8 in my first car, an '84 Chrysler Fifth Avenue (BOAT!).  I received the car for free (yay!), but only after it was first stolen from my mom, and two weeks had passed.  She gave in and went out and bought a new car, and the very next day the old one was found on somebody's front lawn in Detroit.  Several hundred dollars in repairs later, I had my first car. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #400 on: 07 May 2014, 09:28:20 »
I've had several 318s, the Scamp'll be my first car though, all trucks.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #401 on: 07 May 2014, 10:34:31 »
I had a 318 V8 in my first car, an '84 Chrysler Fifth Avenue (BOAT!).  I received the car for free (yay!), but only after it was first stolen from my mom, and two weeks had passed.  She gave in and went out and bought a new car, and the very next day the old one was found on somebody's front lawn in Detroit.  Several hundred dollars in repairs later, I had my first car.

I had one of those too. Mine was dark blue with dark blue leather. Ran ok but not a lot of power. First car I ever had with a sunroof, and it didn't leak. It wasn't till later that I realized what a big deal that was for a car from the 80s. The radio was awful but the ac worked. I put it equal to the Fairmont I used to have. The 5 Ave was not as "finky" as the Ford, but no where near as solid as the Delta 88 I got latter. It was many of the "grandpa" cars that I owned as a teen. Then I got a job and bought a Honda that had a sunroof that leaked like a running faucet.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #402 on: 07 May 2014, 20:32:49 »
This is why I hate sunroofs and refuse to own one

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #403 on: 08 May 2014, 15:02:33 »
I have had two cars with sunroofs and had no problems.  Well, one sunroof and one moonroof.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #404 on: 08 May 2014, 23:09:23 »
car roof: overrated.

...just as soon as I can come up with $9000 that the wife won't notice missing   ;D

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #405 on: 10 May 2014, 12:47:53 »
I have a 1975 Plymouth Trailduster and it has a removable full roof

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #406 on: 11 May 2014, 23:01:03 »
wow. I hadn't heard that designation in 20 years!  actually had to google it... then had a !Du-Oh! moment when I recognized it.  :D

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #407 on: 13 May 2014, 09:05:03 »
So the Scamp may not work out. Missed the chance to see it last weekend because the seller was at an estate sale and looking to pickup more cars for his hotrod shop. It'll be a couple weeks before I get another chance to go. We'll see, even if I get there, I still have to drive it and see what happens.

The back up plan is to resurrect mom's 1986 LeBaron GTS, we blew up that 2.2 turbo years ago, but it was a neat car.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #408 on: 14 May 2014, 21:34:20 »
wow. I hadn't heard that designation in 20 years!  actually had to google it... then had a !Du-Oh! moment when I recognized it.  :D

It's a Ramcharger with a different grill

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #409 on: 18 May 2014, 22:39:47 »
Welp, any plans for restoring/purchasing are out the window, yesterday I hit a parked car and messed up the bumper and hood of the 01 ram I've been driving. Since the title's still in dad's name, but insurance is only covering the car i hit. I have to fix the truck asap, and out of my own pocket.

wolfgar

• Captain
« Reply #410 on: 19 May 2014, 17:32:22 »
Ouch. Are there any junkyard/you pull-it places around? Those are parts you can usually find there relatively cheap.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #411 on: 19 May 2014, 21:26:24 »
Welp, any plans for restoring/purchasing are out the window, yesterday I hit a parked car and messed up the bumper and hood of the 01 ram I've been driving. Since the title's still in dad's name, but insurance is only covering the car i hit. I have to fix the truck asap, and out of my own pocket.

How do you hit a parked car?

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #412 on: 20 May 2014, 07:50:25 »
here's a Modern Mopar question for y'all...

WHERE the frakin' HECK is the oil pressure sensor located on a 2000 Dodge Neon?

Yes. I know it's on the engine.  I've crawled all over the dang thing, and cannot find the sensor.

The sensor needs replacement because it is triggering false Low Oil Pressure warning lights.

And this idiot light *BLING*ing at me every couple minutes is driving me insane!!!!

wolfgar

• Captain
« Reply #413 on: 20 May 2014, 08:45:41 »
If memory serves its on the front side either below or behind the intake manifold

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
« Reply #414 on: 20 May 2014, 09:09:19 »
How do you hit a parked car?
Allergies

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #416 on: 20 May 2014, 22:12:06 »
Allergies
Needs improvement, at least when I backed my box truck over a mailbox this winter I had the excuse of it being a white mailbox during a nasty snowstorm.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #417 on: 21 May 2014, 12:25:47 »
thanks, MM.

I've actually had my hands on it, just didn't realize it.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #418 on: 25 May 2014, 03:26:26 »
thanks, MM.

I've actually had my hands on it, just didn't realize it.

I hate when that happens

OR "That's what she said!"    ;D ;)

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #419 on: 18 July 2014, 14:30:19 »
So I may need to change the air compressor for the air conditioner on my 99 chevy malibu, but I don't want to get raked over the coals through having to buy a brand new one if I don't have to.  There also aren't a lot of salvage yard options (that and I want to guarantee it works) without having to make a good trip so I wonder, is there a reliable online option? PM me if you have suggestions for any sites.

Register