Author Topic: Ngoverse/"The Administrator" series: The Silent Black Ocean.  (Read 16871 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Ngoverse/"The Administrator" series: The Silent Black Ocean.
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2020, 01:27:39 »
" ... by action or inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."

Nah, it's bugs. Bugs, Mr. Rico! Zillions of them!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2020, 02:41:18 »
Tag
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2020, 04:48:52 »
Why do I have the feeling that someone decided that they wanted to kill the lampreys?
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2020, 08:46:41 »
"...no evidence of survivors."

Mike waited for the geological survey team's report to conclude.  "Bomb damage we think is kinetic based, and it was systematic, as close as we can assess, someone was hitting inhabited areas especially hard, with traces of iridium, nickel iron, and other materials common to the local asteroid belts comprising the bulk of the bombardment residue in the craters we've surveyed, now normally, there is a fractional chance of survivors even in an extinction level event."

"Normally?" he asked.

"Well, that's where things get ****** weird, sir. I have to turn this over to the biological survey team for the next part."  Dr. Faustus, the lead geologist, said.  "Because what they found is ****** strange as hell.  Paola?"

Dr. Paola Ourodanna stood up.  "We think a weapon was designed to cleanse the local biosphere of anything more complex than plant-life, sir." she said, "We're pretty sure it isn't biological per se but copies biology.  The alternative would be a low temperature silicon based organism-which doesn't make any sense chemically."

"Low temperature?" Mike asked.

"Silicon life forms in theory would be exremophile, sir, to fill the same niche as carbon based life would require extreme temperatures not found in habitable systems, but we've found signficant contaminations we initially thought were part of the local, pre-bombardment biology until we cross-checked with the Beagle expedition's data.  Traces of Gallium and silicon are all over and they're not, according to my colleagues from geosciences, consistent with crustal formation on the planet.  Under microscopes, we've identified motors and gearing, and a microwave collection nanostructure."

"Killer micro-robots powered by microwaves?" Mike asked.

"Engineering's done some testing in detached lab four on the planet's moon, and yeah, you hit some of the dust with a tuned microwave, it goes active, they're not quite von neumann machine level, but higher concentrations do show increased...artificial intelligence."

"how intelligent?" Mike asked.

"Imagine a guided biological weapon, sir.  collected samples in the lab module over about half a millilitre in volume will follow microwave sources and preferentially dismantles iron-oxygen-carbon structures.  they tested with lab rats, and as long as there's power, the volume pursued, and then dismantled the test animals.  at one liter sizes, it can even negotiate a maze to seek out prey.  it doesn't USE the biologicals for anything, it just destroys them.  Cut off the power and a one liter size mass of the stuff goes dormant after a few hours, cut it off long enough, and it disperses into dust."

"sweet mother of christ." Mike Hogarth crossed himself.  "that's... monstrous."

"We found the largest concentrations of the stuff in what the archaeological team suggests were rural areas sir, and we found some one-way landers in the same area.  The tech on the landers is roughly 26th century equivalent, with large cargo modules and what we think is a modified version of the Blue Shield system.  We're pretty sure it isn't native, and there are some odd alloy combinations so it's not from any known human civ."

"Someone went out of their way to bomb these people into the stone age, then dropped what, pods to kill every survivor?"

"And their domestic animals, and their pets, and any animal that might evolve to live on land.  There are fish in the rivers, lakes and oceans, but nothing more advanced than fish." the biologist continued, "We've found evidence of the...super-sludge? on some of the artifacts in shallow waters."

"can you give me dates on how long ago this happened?"  Mike asked.

"Softballing it?  maybe three to five centuries ago."
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Centurion03

• Master Sergeant
  • Jacta Alea Est - The Die is Cast
    • South African Wargamer
« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2020, 09:23:32 »

Protomolecule!

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2020, 10:15:54 »
Getting my speculation down now:

My two C-Bills are on a rogue highly-self-evolved branch of Caspar/Locura AIs.  The existential terror of aggressive aliens enforcing a Great Filter is less unnerving than the slowly-dawning horror awakened by the realization that this is wrought by things wrought by human hands.  It's consistent with both Battletech canon and what I've read of Cannonshop's other work, in that humanity's own capacity for atrocity and self-destruction is one of the setting's greatest forces.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #36 on: 25 May 2020, 10:17:14 »
Agreed, and the time frame still fits...

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2020, 10:48:52 »
Getting my speculation down now:

My two C-Bills are on a rogue highly-self-evolved branch of Caspar/Locura AIs.  The existential terror of aggressive aliens enforcing a Great Filter is less unnerving than the slowly-dawning horror awakened by the realization that this is wrought by things wrought by human hands.  It's consistent with both Battletech canon and what I've read of Cannonshop's other work, in that humanity's own capacity for atrocity and self-destruction is one of the setting's greatest forces.

AI, yes. But not necessarily rogue.

One possibility: Star League AI tasked with keeping humanity safe by eliminating all potential competition/threats. They used AI, because unlike humans, AI doesn´t have moral conflicts, and it doesn´t blab about what it does, thus avoiding bad press from Operation Xenocide. This AI has only gone rogue insofar as it has targetted the Clan homeworld - so either its standards of what is human and what is alien have slipped, or it is programmed to destroy any civilisation further than a certain distance from Terra, human or not.

Another possibility: someone in the Star League saw the writing on the wall that the Star League wouldn´t last all that much longer, and decided to fabricate an external threat to foster cooperation among human nations - finding the remains of murdered civilisations, whose killers might be headed for the Inner Sphere next, could be a powerful motivation to set aside their petty squabbles. This AI might not even be programmed specifically to target aliens, just to kill anything beyond a certain distance from Terra so that the threat is always "out there" without actually threatening the Inner Sphere.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2020, 12:36:32 »
This the part where they bring the things WITH them... Those guys might NOT want to leave, out of risk of spreading beyond the planet (because what limits radiation? your planet. What isn't a limiting factor? Space. The stuff could be all over the ship(s). Once they get into space... that stuff could turn ON and then, things go pear-shaped...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 25 May 2020, 12:59:17 »
Star's End Sea Fox Base...

Star Colonel Jacob Fowler watched as the Kowloonese cutter approached the floating docks.  "What is the significance of the killer whale insignia again?" he asked.

"Historical.  Orcinus Orca is a predator that hunts sharks, the rim Worlds Republic's totemic symbol was that of a shark, and the Kowloonese hated them to a degree not even our ancestors hated them."  Loremaster Kenneth Clarke told him, "Before the war, according to what records we have remaining, Kowloonese pirates attacking Rim Worlds trade vessels displayed the same symbol, and during the Amaris war, the Kowloonese painted it on lend-leased fighter hulls, any dropships they had, and their jumpships."

the indicators on the docking umbilicals went green. 

History wasn't that interesting-except when it could benefit the Clan.  "Thank you for the explanation, at least they are not trying to ape being a Clan." he said.

"Seyla."

The inner lock cycled and their visitors crawled laboriously 'up' into the single-gee spin gravity of the station.  "Permission to come aboard, Sirs?" a muffled female voice inquired, invoking an old spacer's custom that hardly fit the circumstances.

"Permission Granted, Commander Hui?"

"Aye sir." she took her helmet off, revealing slim asiatic features under a half-shaved brush-cut that barely concealed the tracery of spacer-born tattoos under the hairline.  "you keep it heavy here." she said.

"It is better for muscle-tone.  How long have you been out?"

"Eight month cruise, sir." she said, "mostly survey work and servicing early warning and comm relays left out by their previous owners, but we did chase down a bunch that hit one of your colonies, I've got thirty five civilians on my ship, and their ident docs say they're yours."

"The men who took them?"

"got a class on breathing vacuum, my prize crew's bringing their ride in behind us." she said, "There's another hundred and fifty of your folks, plus some dirtyfeet that these ****** grabbed off a couple of the indie planets in the region.  As you're the nearest recognized legal authorities and most of the hostages were stolen from your ships and facilities, seemed reasonable to show up with them and arrange delivery and transfer of the rest...and since I was already bringing your people back, the CO for 9th Cutter Div sent me comm packages for your government from ours, they're marked classified and hand-deliver, sir."

"and their ship?" he asked.

"Well, we couldn't find ownership docs that didn't look like a half-ass forgery, and a run on the registry of missing ships came up blank for Commonwealth, Combine, Dominion, Cappie, and League, so a return of the vessel to her proper owners is kind of out of the question, unless it's yours." she said, "if it is, well, then I don't have to process the paperwork for impound and auction.  Not sure what you'd do with a Merchant that old, but if you want to check your own registries for missing ships, I'd be appreciative."

"You took no prisoners, quineg?"

"We didn't have room, sir. I wasn't about to leave pirates where they can re-jack a ship, and we had to convert the brigs to medical bays for the stretcher cases."

"Stretcher...cases?"

"Look, this is ugly, alright? some of the people they grabbed they...had fun with, catch my vector? you'll want to have trauma counselors and medics ready.  Because slaving and piracy are both capital crimes, I recorded a field  expedient tribunal under maritime law, and sentence was carried out by-the-book...but they damaged some of these civilians pretty badly, and not just their bodies.  If I could have given your guys the arrest credit, I would, we just happened to catch them where they shouldn't be, doing what they shouldn't  be doing."

she extended a manila-tan envelope with a seal on it, "The dispatches for your government from ours, sir...and can I go ahead and return your people now?"

"Absolutely." he took the envelope, and handed it to his Loremaster.

"one more request, sir?" she asked.

"Yes?"

"My crew has been in space for eight months, and some of them are Dirtyfeet, they need shore leave or they get kinda...strange.  Permission for my crew to conduct shore leave activity in your jurisdiction, sir?"

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 25 May 2020, 13:05:32 »
Pirates will be Pirates always.  ::)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #41 on: 25 May 2020, 13:44:38 »
Only until the airlock...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 25 May 2020, 13:56:52 »
Spider Moon Coast Guard Station, Boojum gas giant system, Kowloon Star System...

185 civilians recovered, one Merchant class jumpship with a Union and a Mule docked to it.  the jumpship wasn't on the ownership register, but the Union's markings matched a string of hit-and-fade attacks all along the coreward periphery, and the Tribunal held prior to the executions was by-the-book.

So why wasn't Admiral Dao Goldsmith happy?

it was a clean bust, by the book, but we could've questioned the sons of bitches.  she decided.  the way to break a Piracy ring, or slaving ring, or any organized crime, was to hit the distribution network and roll it up to the bosses and financiers.

"Commendation...for the crew of Cutter 4143, KCGS Chie Hong, for...exceptional...per...performance...in the rescue of one hundred eighty five civilian lives, and the return of...valuable...property...to...a..." hmm... "...strategically important sovereign neighbour." there.

She hit 'send'.  Hui knows better than to waste that opportunity, but she's limited in what she can do out there, especially with their tender already loaded down with prep activities.

One copy went to the restored 'Wolfnet' HPG network, that would in turn be sent to Tharkad, and to the Sea Fox command staff, along with the case files submitted by the officers on the scene.  One was sent by black-box relay direct to 9th Cutter Division for delivery to the Chie Hong.  the third was sent to records at Vin Drin Lap.

this gave the CNO of the Coast Guard time to look at her annual reportage to Mount Asgard.  over the last twenty years, the job was mostly forwarding candidate files for officer-transfers to the LCN, but lately LIC had been asking for reports on activity in the Periphery itself, some of those reports were going to go to LIC, some to LCN's strategic operations group, and the weird ones, she was sure, would wind up on Clarissa Ngo's desk at Special Operations.

"Today...nothing much to report..." she muttered.  She appended it to the compiled files, along with personnel rosters and promotion lists.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 25 May 2020, 14:08:21 »
THAT report is going to get some attention...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2020, 16:28:05 »
Overview: Kowloon Coast Guard 9th Cutter Division

The 9th Cutter Division was formed by expansion of the 9th Coast Guard Quarantine Squadron in 3147, initially drawing personnel from all 13 worlds in the Quarantine Zone, as well as volunteers from Rockjack spacer communities in the same region.  Operationally, Division 9 was tasked with long-range recon into Jade Falcon held territory along the Lyran periphery, but later in the Falcon War, their area of operations was pushed deeper into the near periphery to locate hold-outs and cut any flow of resources, reinforcements, or retreat for the remains of the Falcon Ordun. 

Postwar, in the power vacuum that resulted from the brutal suppression of the Jade Falcons, the 9th assumed long-term station as an antipiracy and 'public service' force, much the same role that the Coast Guard itself held for nearly seventy years in the Quarantine Zone.  The 9th Squadron is primarily equipped with the longer-ranged and slightly roomier Sampan Mk IV class cutters, and has a 'tender fleet' of 4 Star Lord class jumpships, each carrying supply and consumable dropships that are exchanged via LCN courier flights on an annual basis.

by 3165, Coast Guard Division 9 has gained something of a 'face of the commonwealth' reputation among the many tiny independent worlds in the region.  Their antipiracy efforts, along with rendering aid to the few local independent spacers, and their strict refusal to become entangled in local politics has led to rumors of a resurgent Star League.  It has also led to an upswing in the fortunes of poorer worlds in the region, as stable trade routes and a neutral presence to mediate disputes tends to increase trade while decreasing tensions between independent statelets, and some view the presence of this force as the first steps toward genuine imposition of civil law in the region in the absence of the Falcons.

In keeping with the KCG's policies, rotations in the 9th Division's AOR are six to twelve months duration, during which vessels conduct wandering patrol, postal delivery, communication and technical service, and jumpship inspection and repair. 

in 3155, Coast Guard tenders delivered a number of small 'modular station' modules to several systems, to serve as 'coaling stations' for Coast Guard operations and as central control positions.  Local sovereignty of inhabited systems is observed by Coast Guard and their 'coaling stations' are located in uninhabited systems close to trade routes.

Symbology:

The 9th Division uses the standard Kowloon Coast Guard leaping orca roundel, with a typeface '09' serving as background, and the motto "We Keep The Peace".

Uniform: Like both LCN and KCG regulation, the standard uniform is a skinsuit worn under a working duty uniform.    Working Duties are generally blue (Enlisted and lower NCO), Khaki (NCO and officer) overgarments bearing the assigned ship's number, rank insignia, and standard gear harness.  Vessel commanders add a long blue-black 'greatcoat' at their discretion.  Cap badges are the Coast Guard crest, and caps are white (Officer) or Khaki (NCO).  For enlisted, a ball-cap with 'scrambled eggs' bill and the name of the vessel said crewman is assigned to in gold-thread letters.

Manner and Behaviours:

Professionalism is the watch-word for personnel in the 9th, and woe betide the Nugget who forgets it, because he or she won't forget it for long, and will have to work hard to live it down.  Despite this, the 9th division is one of the reasons the Kowloon Coast Guard has specific regulations detailing how far a prank or practical joke may go before it crosses into the realm of an actionable nonjudicial punishment offense. (beyond that point, of course, comes courts-martial.)

Due in large part to the exceptionally long distance to home-ports and long duration of missions, crews are selected for the ability to work together ad maintain personal stability, and when not selected, peer pressure and constant activity tends to reshape assigned personnel to fit into the group.

Institutionally, the 9th Division takes quite seriously their 'jurisdiction' which, under the charter that the Coast Guard formed, is rather large for any law-enforcement organization, thus they tend to treat the spacelanes of the deep periphery as 'their beat' and civilians in it as their responsibility-even civilians that aren't paying the taxes that pay their wage.

thus, their reputation for answering any distress call if they are in range.

since adopting their current 'patrol status' in the region, 211 members of the 9th division  have died in the line of duty, and the 9th Division's various squadrons have added additional battle-stars in action against encroaching bandit and pirate units to their hulls.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 25 May 2020, 16:39:25 »
Interesting... FYSA, "scrambled eggs" are for O-5s and O-6s in the USN (Admirals have a second row of them).

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #46 on: 25 May 2020, 17:25:36 »
How many ships is a Cutter Division?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 25 May 2020, 17:37:53 »
Interesting choice of killing vector. The requirement for external power - microwaves, in this case - means that in a planetary environment you're unlikely to see a "grey goo" event. It would also be likely that the Dust only responds to a specific frequency, or band of frequencies. Withdraw the power source, no breakaway. Not so much low-tech nanotech, as deliberately reined in.

Would be amusing if you could Dust a ship, then play some masers over it ...
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #48 on: 25 May 2020, 17:55:28 »
Interesting choice of killing vector. The requirement for external power - microwaves, in this case - means that in a planetary environment you're unlikely to see a "grey goo" event. It would also be likely that the Dust only responds to a specific frequency, or band of frequencies. Withdraw the power source, no breakaway. Not so much low-tech nanotech, as deliberately reined in.

Would be amusing if you could Dust a ship, then play some masers over it ...
it also would simplify decontamination measures. as once the power beams are off, the agent no longer is active. presumably you could also engineer them to be vulnerable to some other form of energy so that you could destroy the motes prior to colonization. (given it is nanoscale technology the likely choices would be UV, which tends to rip apart DNA and similar organic molecules, or ionizing radiation like X-rays and gamma rays.)

as a persistent agent though it would be nasty. as most technology generates a degree of EM radiation, which may trigger the motes. and most radios fall into similar part of the spectrum as microwaves. (the first microwaves literally were using radar magnetrons) so if someone else finds the planet, there is a chance the motes would activate and kill whatever colonists, explorers, or military units that were on the world.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 17:57:07 by glitterboy2098 »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 25 May 2020, 18:30:15 »
How many ships is a Cutter Division?

There are 64 cutters, and 16 support ships in a Cutter Division.

breakdown like this:

1 patrol=4 cutters and a support tender
1 Squadron=4 Patrols
1 Divsion=4 Squadrons.

Cutters are commanded by Lt. Commanders (O-4) or Lt. Promotables (O3P)
Patrols are commanded by Commanders (O-5)
Squadrons get Captains (O-6)
Divsions get Commodores (O-6P)

Standard forms of address:

the officer in charge of a ship (even a cutter) is addressed as "Captain", "Sir", or "ma'am".  Informally it's "Sirrah" or "Mum" or "Skipper".
Patrol bosses/commanders are addressed by rank, or as "Sir" or "Ma'am"
Squadron leaders are  "Boss", "Sir", "Ma'am"  and so on.

correct usage is to address Lt. Commanders as "Commander" unless there's an actual reason to make the verbal distinction, or if they happen to be the OIC of the ship you're on, in which case it's 'Captain' or 'Skipper'.

Note that during the Jihad, Kowloon had ONE cutter division, but they have been constructing the damned things continuously since the 3060s.  By the 3140s they had MANY divisions.

also note that this in part explains how Sharon could replace so many officers in the LCN directly with competent subordinates who know how to fight as a fleet, operate as a fleet and sustain operations as a fleet.  You can't do that when your whole 'fleet' consists of a bunch of dropships and three capital vessels in poor repair crewed by political appointees and incompetents.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 18:36:17 by Cannonshop »

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2020, 18:35:21 »
There are 64 cutters, and 16 support ships in a Cutter Division.
(snips breakdown)

Thank you
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2020, 19:05:35 »
more overview

Funding and Financial:  Kowloon's Coast Guard is funded primarily from the economic activity of one world: Kowloon, with 1.5 billion residents (Planetside) and 500 million or so non-planetary system natives or "Rockjacks" (whom also serve as both primary customers for the Coast Guard's space arm, and as much of the serving technical, command, and leadership staff).  With Nationalization (first in the 3068 through 3082 state of emergency, and then with the declared state of emergency in 3135) a portion of operating and procurement funding was brought in from LCAF and LCN coffers. 

at present, the Coast Guard's budget pie is sliced with 50% coming from Kowloon, another 15% from worlds in the former Quarantine zone, and the rest from National funding allocated from the LCAF budget.  Supplemental funding efforts are also often conducted, but such fundraising is not treated as a reliable income source for budgeting, and is 'banked' against emergencies.

What KIND of emergencies?  the sort that require an emergency call up of retired personnel, or the sudden need to procure additional replacement hulls.  You know, emergencies.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2020, 19:39:53 »
I step away for 2 days and have to catch up

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2020, 19:55:12 »
I step away for 2 days and have to catch up

it's alright, I can't figure out why I keep dropping into world-building recursions.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2020, 20:06:41 »
I was asking another writer whether he was a Strazinski, or a Martin. Eg. Strazinski had a 5-year arc for Babylon 5, with enough flexibility to roll with the punches, but knew where he was heading. Whereas Martin is quoted as saying "he builds the world, puts the characters in it, and then they do what they're going to do".

Like most writers, I suspect it's a little from column A, a little from column B. Where do you feel you sit on that range?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2020, 20:31:12 »
I was asking another writer whether he was a Strazinski, or a Martin. Eg. Strazinski had a 5-year arc for Babylon 5, with enough flexibility to roll with the punches, but knew where he was heading. Whereas Martin is quoted as saying "he builds the world, puts the characters in it, and then they do what they're going to do".

Like most writers, I suspect it's a little from column A, a little from column B. Where do you feel you sit on that range?

It kind of grows organically, I'll usually have one or two end-states that I may or may not hit, but then the characters run the show with a bit of 'rule of natural consequences' to steer things, but then, I've been kind of 'refining' the ngoverse stuff for a couple decades now, through various iterations and versions.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2020, 22:14:58 »
I wonder how many people are going to want to study the motes for their own purposes.  At the very least the programming involved would be useful for setting up a coordinating network.  Imagine a C3 or C3i network that could reconfigure as needed, or the Nova CEWS that could go higher than 3 connections.

A nicer version of it would be used for recycling, cleanup of biohazards, chemical weapon residuum removal, etc.

Or someone developing it for superior cybernetic enhancements, where they program the connections into the goo, and the recipient gets a new computer network in their body.  Make them a Sentinel against their enemies.  You'd have to set up a smaller core within the body to manufacture the goo when the little bots wear out (Shadowrun Nanohive), but as long as the core doesn't get damaged from X-Rays you should be good.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 25 May 2020, 22:27:47 »
Tharkad Naval Yard planning area...

"They're coming close to the patrol region 9th Division's been maintaining."  Fleet Admiral Emily Falcone noted, "Your Highness, you will shortly be called on to make a decision.  That zone may be unclaimed, but Lyrans have bled to keep the peace in there and the first organized resistance they're going to hit, are sixty four cutters."

Trillian studied the plot in silence for a few more minutes.  "Send Second Fleet." she said, turning to Emily, "That's Vice Admiral MacAulliffe's force, isn't it?"

"Yes ma'am."

"They're the closest force to that region, so send Second Fleet and put Lizzie Mac in charge, then start getting the rest of the navy ready to pick up the pieces when the Clanners blow through."  she turned, "Roddy, tell your generals it's time to stop playing war-games and get ready for the real thing, I want six regimental combat teams with all their support ready to roll in there-or anywhere along that frontage, in twenty four hours.  this isn't like the Dominion, there will be ground actions."

Roderick looked at Emily, "Did you guys work up a contingency for this?"

"We did, it probably won't work, but we've got at least a dozen scenarios gamed out in G-3 for everything from a single clan, to a full court press."

"break out the plans, I need something to brief my generals." he said.

"Aye sir."

"Well it's nice to see you two have figured out which service branch has precedence. Get it done." Trillian said, "I have to go argue with the Estates General this morning, and I'm hoping to catch Hogarth's report from the exploration front before Clara and her Aunt have dissected it for me."

"Majesty?"

"Yes?"

"I would recommend pulling Admiral Ngo into this to work up our contingency for when the initial plans fail, Ma'am." Emily said, "I can do it, but she's better."

"Do your best for now, I'll have a...conversation with Sharon."  Trillian said, and swept out of the command center, leaving Roderick and Emily.

"that was cruel." he said.

"It is a matter of pragmatism." Emily stated, "Sharon wants to be a detective or an explorer, but she's a planner and a thinker, and we'll need her in the G3 shop for this, not digging through hobby activities and ancient mysteries...god help us, we might even need her commanding a fleet when this goes pear shaped."

"you didn't say 'if'."

"No, I didn't.  let's get to work, Roddy, we've got a lot of fragmentary orders to cut and a strategy to hammer out for this."

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 25 May 2020, 22:38:55 »

Like most writers, I suspect it's a little from column A, a little from column B.

Interestingly JMS talks about using the "do what they are going to do" thing frequently when writing his characters at the micro level.

Which leads me to believe that most writers do the Martin thing and some manage to get the skill to do the macro level and make it feel natural.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 25 May 2020, 22:43:01 »
I wonder what will be said when they find that the Clans are refugees--and will the Clanners be wise enough to ask for Sanctuary and assistance--because this is the kind of existential threat that makes the WOB look like a band of naughty boys.

Register