Author Topic: Campaign Support Vehicles  (Read 1050 times)

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
Campaign Support Vehicles
« on: 24 May 2020, 11:53:03 »
Intro:  I am considering a very large undertaking; a Level IV of Word of Blake forces and one of their final holdouts on Terra (maybe Mars) where a coalition of Clan and IS forces were trying to recapture the SDS networks and destroy some Command structures.  This campaign would consist of a strategic hex map, where the scale is, more-or-less, based on one hex per mapsheet.  Unit movement would be based on groups, where the slowest unit defines the maximum movement speed (so a Level II with an Urbanmech can move 3 hexes on the strategic map in one hour, even if the rest of the units are Locusts, unless they decide to abandon the Urbanmech, which is fully acceptable in my book).  Players would take turns, similar to Axis and Allies, moving their forces on the strategic map; with each turn being one hour in-universe.  Once a unit gets into contact with opposing forces, they might get some preliminary data on force composition, then could decide to retreat or engage, and that battle would use Total Warfare rules.  We would also use Megamek to resolve certain fights, especially if it just an ASF bombing run on some forces or even an ASF only game.

My Position:  I would have control of the Word of Blake forces, and my primary objectives are to defend a few points on the map; the SDS facility and the Command structure.  Depending on the size of the map, I may include multiple SDS facilities and minor command structures as well.  I'm considering multiple fronts as well, that way if one player is unable to play we could keep up the campaign on other fronts, so perhaps the players with bigger armies need to knock out SDS control stations, while the smaller armies need to target the command facilities.

Support Vehicles:  So I need to sort out what kind of support vehicles I want.  For munitions, I am assuming that all the munitions would primarily be stored around the main command or SDS structure, so Kharnovs would be utilized to move munitions from the main structure to the field.  Sherpas would then be used to disperse the munitions from meeting locations with the Kharnovs to the various units.  I would also probably bring a couple MASH vehicles that could meet up with units to treat pilot injuries.

Questions:
1:  I need some support vehicles with hoists to drive along with Sherpas for rearmament.  I understand I could use mechs with hand actuators to rearm, but I don't want to rely on that.  What are some vehicles with hoists? 
2:  Any other support vehicles that are recommended would be appreciated.  I haven't really done a campaign in regards to dealing with support vehicles.  I am not worried about salvaging destroyed mechs, but see next question for more info.
3:  In regards to repairing armor, internal structure, limbs:  how long does this take?  I assume it takes a while and requires some sort of facility to make the repairs.  I don't expect reinforcements to arrive; what you drop with is what you get, so I am curious as to how feasible it would be to repair certain components in this sort of campaign.
4:  In regards to healing pilots:  how long should this take?  Again, I would assume it requires facilities, whether a MASH vehicle or hospital.
5:  Are the answers for questions 3 and 4 in Campaign Operations?

Let me know your thoughts, both on the questions and in regards to the campaign idea.  I haven't received full buy-in from everyone in the group yet, but the people I reached out to seem interested, especially since I know they have big armies and it would be nice to be able to use all the forces we have purchased.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Campaign Support Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2020, 16:30:26 »
Karnovs would only be used to move the most vital supplies.  They are extremely vulnerable and have limited payloads compared to some other canon vehicles & using the 'towed' rules.

Vehicles to look at-
Flatbed Truck (TR03058)
Battlemech Recovery Vehicle (TRO3058)
Heavy Battlemech Recovery Vehicle (TRO3058)
Mobile Field Base (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mobile_Field_Base)
     Wayland (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wayland_Mobile_Base)
     Savior (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Savior)
Hyena SalvageMech (MercSup, IndiMech- https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hyena)
Jabberwokie (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jabberwocky)
Oppie HMRV (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Oppie)
J-series support vehs (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/J-Series_Support_Vehicles)- repairs & ammo, TRO 3039 & 3085
fluffed quadmech with hoists & hoses to remove fuel/coolant- not sure of name
K-135 Coolant Truck
various minelayers- though IMO LRM Carriers with Thunders loaded is the best 'minelayer' especially if you give it T-Augs.
lots of stuff from TRO VA

As the defender, you have the advantage of pre-positioning caches of support- armor, ammo & techs which can either be abandoned if a sector is getting overrun or extended if you are holding.  You are not going to need to move as much supplies as if you were on the offensive.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2020, 23:54:47 »
In regards to the mech salvage units, I guess I'm thinking that we wouldn't need them as we won't have time to really salvage and repair mechs during this campaign; however I don't know how long it takes to get a mech or vehicle repaired?  In my mind, if it can't walk home, it probably isn't worth the resources to repair until the offensive is over.

And that makes sense with various ammunition stores and what-not.  I figured the Kharnovs would bring supplies forward to a certain point, then the trucks would bring it elsewhere, but it is probably better to have a forward command position with munitions, medical stations, etc. that the trucks can drive off from to rearm units in the field.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 01:37:08 »
Repair and replacement times are in Strategic Operations.  They're not too bad, even for things like replacing a blown off limb.  And don't discount salvaging enemy items on the fly, especially omni-podded items.

You mentioned MegaMek earlier; fire up MekHQ with a small against the bot campaign and run a quick battle.  Once there's a range of damage, call it with the /victory command.  Have a look at the typical repair times for various actions, including double time, rush jobs, and so on.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2020, 02:16:54 »
Yeah . . . it might be easier to remove that ERPPC from a blown off arm & use it to replace a ERPPC that was damaged on the Warhammer.  OR it take less time than it would for the truck to deliver it.  Besides, if you do NOT haul it off or frag it, your enemy can gain a benefit from it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2020, 10:57:51 »
Ammo replacement is typically a matter of minutes, with even minimal equipment and skills.  Replacing armor can take from minutes to the better part of a day's shift for a single location, depending on how much is damaged and what risk you're willing to take with the skills and facilities available.  Working in the field with Regular techs, you're looking at a high change of failure even at normal repair times, so going to 2x or 4x "careful" repairs may be necessary to preserve materials, or risking a "rushed" repair at 1/2x or 1/4x time, due to the extreme urgency of the situation, may be viable with more highly skilled techs and better facilities.  Major repairs such as limb replacement probably need either proper repair facilities or elite techs to be viable even at "normal" work rates, otherwise you're probably looking at 50-50 chances or worse of failing and very possibly ruining the replacement parts.

As said, you can see and try out the repair options and times in a MekHQ campaign, which is bundled with MegaMek.