Author Topic: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.  (Read 45475 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.
« Reply #180 on: 01 August 2019, 16:31:25 »
That is not the same. Now if it was a full length movie that the studio planned on releasing into theaters then backed out and made it a park ride instead... Well that would be enough to piss people off. Especially if the studio had been airing commercials for it a few months in advance.

At the very least PGI could have at least mentioned that there was a possibility they would do an EGS exclusive. At least then people would know what to expect and not get so pissy over this.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #181 on: 02 August 2019, 02:50:51 »
I honestly think this has been one of the darker times of the Mechwarrior community. Extremely immature and toxic behavior with little to no effort to try to understand where PGI was coming from. Lots of misinformation and conspiracy theories spread by Youtube Grifters, and a total lack of knowledge about game development on display. This has resulted in a lot of hate towards especially Russ.

The few people I have seen being mature and talking about this in a constructive manner is NuttyRat and a bunch of others on this Stream, I highly recommend watching it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5wvj21TOEo

On a more general level, I think it would be good for people to understand the nature of game development today, best explained by this tweet:

In PGI's case, there are mostly only good reasons to take the EGS deal and they would have been very dumb not to take it. As a poster on Sarna's article mentioned, this is what the deal means:

1. More money for development
2. Delay the game away from Gears of war 5 and Borderlands 3
3. Hire more devs to help polish it like a narrative designer, a lighting artist, etc.
4. Pay for the 3 months extra delay
5. French, Russian and German localization at launch
6. A much bigger marketing push
7. A 12% cut on EGS versus 35 % cut on steam
8. More visibility on EGS than Steam (less crowded)
9. The game still ends up on Steam and GOG in 2020

Moreover, I wouldn't say anybody "lied" or "deceived". Using words like "betrayal" and "stabbed in the back" and so on seem very much out of proportion to what was actually going on. We don't even know the details of the timeline and how much PGI was under NDA or hadn't even worked out the contract yet with Epic. The deal wasn't even finalized until June! A couple of guys on Reddit actually wrote something sensible about this:

"The disconnect comes from how the expectations were set. The community treats Russ like he's a character on a TV show where everything he tells you is am immutable fact of the universe. When the universe doesn't match up to expectations it must be because Russ lied. While Russ, when he is being candid, talks in the tentative nature of Business, about how things are today, with the understanding that things might need to change. Then you have the situations where, for whatever reason, Russ cannot be candid, and that is seen as lying by omission rather than put into context. 

One of the core roles of a really good community manager and PR person is to properly set expectations about what is a commitment and what is a concept. To underpromise, over deliver, and to avoid being specific in areas where there is potentially uncertainty. Mitch, HBS and Paradox are the example about how to do this well. Wherever a speaker overreach a bit, their statements where immediately qualified as a commitment or an idea along with clear "not to be discussed (at this time)" topics."

"Exactly this. First off, the "they were always planning on going to Epic" is horseshit; the Epic store wasn't even a thing back when MW5 was announced. But then the deal came up, and from a business operations standpoint it made a lot of sense for PGI. Said deal took several months to work out all the kinks, though it sounds like what was initially presented was good enough that the deal was a matter of when, not if. But until you have ink on paper you don't announce the deal. That's how every single business deal works; talking publicly about ongoing negotiations is detrimental at best and a violation of NDAs that would immediately sink the deal and potentially lead to a lawsuit at worst.

Yet the narrative was set by a toxic Youtuber who clearly wanted to be as negative against PGI and Russ as much as possible and mischaracterize what was going on. The problem is that lots of people fell for it and therefore that stands alone as the single dominant narrative now. It also seems like a lot of past pent-up frustration is coming out from parts of the Mechwarrior community and many appear to be reveling in it, while others aren't seeing what's going on. I couldn't imagine the same level of vitriol and harassment would be directed towards HBS, for example.

At the very least PGI could have at least mentioned that there was a possibility they would do an EGS exclusive. At least then people would know what to expect and not get so pissy over this.

They actually did say that. Russ said during an AMA (can't remember which, maybe in April, May or June) that the current plan was to go on Steam and GOG, but they were open to going Epic exclusive if the benefits were good. They've consistently said that they were open to it and that they liked what Epic was doing in terms of lowering the already insanely high 30% cut that Steam charges.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2019, 02:57:38 by PyreLight »

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #182 on: 02 August 2019, 05:10:37 »
This is not a legitimate argument. The legitimacy of any given decision is not assessed against the decisions made by the same organization in the past.

No, it is not a legitimate argument because there was no way that PGI, the primary defendants of the lawsuit, were going to be willing to do otherwise. Being willing to stump the majority of the costs to defend your own income is hardly laudable, no matter what other reasons you have for doing it.

I honestly think this has been one of the darker times of the Mechwarrior community.

Not even close, the amount of rage being directed at the Devs is nothing compared to the rage directed at them by people while still in beta. Unsurprisingly a passionate community has people who go over the top in it. Considering there were people threatening to firebomb PGI HQ when 3PV came in, well, this is comparatively tame. You're also over generalizing, might want to throttle back on that, this is a comparatively small amount of the mechwarrior community after all, you are likely seeing an equal or greater number on here simply objecting, as they have every right to do.

They actually did say that. Russ said during an AMA (can't remember which, maybe in April, May or June) that the current plan was to go on Steam and GOG, but they were open to going Epic exclusive if the benefits were good. They've consistently said that they were open to it and that they liked what Epic was doing in terms of lowering the already insanely high 30% cut that Steam charges.

Did they? Citation needed!

Below is the link to the Sarna article which notes the first inkling the community got, which came in during July 19.

https://www.sarna.net/news/is-mechwarrior-5-about-to-go-epic-exclusive/

In fact, here's a link to a tweet indicating that the removal was anything other than EGS exclusive, note: The tweet was from after the deal was signed, hmm.

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/1151180563895615488

I can recall something earlier in the year where they refused to rule it out when EGS was buying up every popular game they could, but IIRC Russ Bullock refused to comment on it, only reiterated that MW5 was planned to release on Steam.

Face it, PGI have constantly failed in their communication with the community, whether it's over promising and under delivering, lying about features in the game, or failing to let the community know about something that was decidedly within their interest to know up until the last minute. Do they deserve threats over this? No, they don't! But they do deserve the rage, although how their fanbase remains loyal is beyond me.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #183 on: 02 August 2019, 10:17:58 »
...although how their fanbase remains loyal is beyond me."

^^^...This. Been on-board since the beta. Good times and bad.
'They' have time and again made *very* poor development decisions that have effectively ruined the experience, over time.
Player retention numbers via steam will put any argument about this to rest. 
I, in no way support the immature rage, or disgusting threats of violence.
That said, all the posts here championing/defending this company are baffling.
I think at this point we can all simply agree to disagree, and move on.
We all love/are passionate about this IP. Support it how you best deem appropriate.   

Valerius

• Recruit
« Reply #184 on: 02 August 2019, 21:50:08 »
My plan was to wait a few years and buy the game during a steam sale anyways.  I never buy full priced games and I never pre order.  Honestly so far the game just doesn't interest me.  Just because it is a mechwarrior/battletech game doesn't mean I need to buy it right away.  It is just a video game. 
While the epic store thing is still scummy, maybe with the extra cash and extra time they can can add more to the game(vr support would be cool).
Well also the fact I don't have a computer that can run it(getting a new computer is not even a priority right now) , and I have lost interest in playing video games.
I will wait and see.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #185 on: 03 August 2019, 06:36:38 »
I was trying to do the right thing and felt they were dedicated to the process of getting the game out, so be it.
I do not buy stuff on MWO so this was in my mind's eye of doing so for years of fun i've had on the server.

However, i did not like last minute changes to a unknown (to me) online distributor which i read bad things about it in the regular news.

It's unfortunate they chose go for the money they needed, but its capitalist world.  If was for to pay the bills, i understand, but i honesty don't know.

As for Russ being bad communicator. I'm not known for my (cough) good way conveying to people or writing. However, if he known he had problem, he'd get someone job was to communicate without causing World War III each time he implemented or even spoke about changes.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #186 on: 03 August 2019, 20:51:32 »
Wait, WTF!?! Just got back from 2 weeks of camping and find out MW5 is now an Epic exclusive? Is the Epic launcher really that invasive to where it accesses other game launcher's files? I don't want something like that on my PC, but to wait a year for Steam? Glad I didn't pre-order and decided to wait PGI out.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #187 on: 05 August 2019, 19:06:33 »
Not even close, the amount of rage being directed at the Devs is nothing compared to the rage directed at them by people while still in beta. Unsurprisingly a passionate community has people who go over the top in it. Considering there were people threatening to firebomb PGI HQ when 3PV came in, well, this is comparatively tame. You're also over generalizing, might want to throttle back on that, this is a comparatively small amount of the mechwarrior community after all, you are likely seeing an equal or greater number on here simply objecting, as they have every right to do.

exactly, putting aside the awful optics of their exclusivity move (which is more likely epic games throwing a dumptruck full of money at them when they couldn't really say no) the MWO player community has been at terminal levels of toxic for ages, probably before the release of clantech. that there's going to be some insanely livid people among the (consistantly high levels of) complainers is simply a given for PGI's fanbase at this point.

even an objectively good move for PGI gets tomatoes thrown at them at this point, this is just a bad move getting what you would expect from this group.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #188 on: 05 August 2019, 20:09:49 »
exactly, putting aside the awful optics of their exclusivity move (which is more likely epic games throwing a dumptruck full of money at them when they couldn't really say no) the MWO player community has been at terminal levels of toxic for ages, probably before the release of clantech. that there's going to be some insanely livid people among the (consistantly high levels of) complainers is simply a given for PGI's fanbase at this point.

even an objectively good move for PGI gets tomatoes thrown at them at this point, this is just a bad move getting what you would expect from this group.

Its a good...even great...move for PGI.
But, I personally do not like Epic.

I can wait a year
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #189 on: 05 August 2019, 20:46:04 »
Its a good...even great...move for PGI.
But, I personally do not like Epic.

I can wait a year

taking epic's money is a highly debatable move at this point, as their behaviour in the market has been anticompetetive and anticonsumer and it's possible they'll suffer sufficent legal hurdles in the future from it they simply close down and everyone loses their money on it. there's almost certainly going to be a few class action suits from the games that previously promised a steam download when the game releases then took epic's money, among all the other stuff.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #190 on: 06 August 2019, 03:20:17 »

Huh? You think this is a lot of toxicity? Mate, get out of your foxhole! By and large the MW fan community is quite tame, with only a few outliers, they are passionate, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Claiming an entire community is toxic because the words of a few, how is your reaction to their anger any better?

Note: This has also not been proven to be a good move, it's simply a move at this time, objectively good or bad is something that only time can tell. Will it be a good move financially? Probably, the majority of people don't care one way or the other, which means they will likely get most of their original sales, although I'm quite skeptical that they will reach the claimed 1000000.

Is it a good move reputationally? It probably doesn't matter, PGI have done little more than screw the pooch with their reputation. They have consistently been deceptive and arrogant so I doubt this move is going to hurt them much as their fanbase has already shown it will accept this type of treatment.

The thing that turned my stomach was  Russ Bullocks statement that if MW5 failed then it would be the end of MW games. MW has proven it's a consistent money maker, if MW5 fails then another will pick up the license in a few years and it will be back on track just sans PGI. Honestly that could actually be a good thing, this was classic fear mongering seeking to push people into preorder.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #191 on: 06 August 2019, 10:34:57 »
The thing that turned my stomach was  Russ Bullocks statement that if MW5 failed then it would be the end of MW games. MW has proven it's a consistent money maker, if MW5 fails then another will pick up the license in a few years and it will be back on track just sans PGI. Honestly that could actually be a good thing, this was classic fear mongering seeking to push people into preorder.
I think he was thinking about himself and PGI.  Unless Hairbrain or other companies have some kind of hidden / unspoken complications getting the computer copyrights to be able publish Battletech / MechWarrior style games. 

I submitted my cancel to preorder, i only want the steam version.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #192 on: 07 August 2019, 03:01:26 »
I think he was thinking about himself and PGI.  Unless Hairbrain or other companies have some kind of hidden / unspoken complications getting the computer copyrights to be able publish Battletech / MechWarrior style games. 

I submitted my cancel to preorder, i only want the steam version.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/a7hcbj/russ_bullock_if_mw5_bombs_it_could_be_the_last/

While I would agree PGI did a lot of legwork on this one, and MicroSoft was committed to never doing another BT game, the statement itself is a wishy washy statement designed to evoke a specific reaction to support their desires. He wasn't talking about PGI's MW, but MW in general.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #193 on: 07 August 2019, 07:41:22 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/a7hcbj/russ_bullock_if_mw5_bombs_it_could_be_the_last/

While I would agree PGI did a lot of legwork on this one, and MicroSoft was committed to never doing another BT game, the statement itself is a wishy washy statement designed to evoke a specific reaction to support their desires. He wasn't talking about PGI's MW, but MW in general.
This is why i hate big corporations buying small ones. It kills stuff.  Including games. 
Problem to me is PGI needs new leadership or guidance.  They keep doing stuff makes themselves look worse than they really are.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2019, 16:51:34 by Wrangler »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #194 on: 10 August 2019, 16:35:22 »
Likely the contract with Epic has a minimum sales target in it. If the game doesn't sell X copies in the first year Epic will pay PGI for target - actual sales. So if they expected 500,000 sales but only get 50,000 Epic is on the hook for 450,000 units. It was like this for another game that went exclusive. Hell Epic even paid refunds for a game that the developer refused to do.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #195 on: 31 August 2019, 15:09:44 »
I cashed in for a refund.

There's no way I'm installing Epic Game Store on any of my machines. (But Steve, people boycott these things and cave all the time! Not me, I still haven't installed Origin even once.)

The only way I would have stuck with the pre-order is if they offered a physical install copy (I'd even pay extra) that did not tie the game to a digital distribution platform at all. So it would be Epic Store exclusive as far as digital download went, but I could bypass that by installing manually and skipping all the EGS crap.

Gotta say...so much venom against the company that foot 90% plus of the legal costs to defeat a certain lawsuit and bring closure to a decades long conflict that has finally allowed certain models to be featured in an upcoming Kickstarter...but then...:

I did take this into consideration.

MWO makes a LOT of decisions that keep me from loving them. They are just shy of greatness in my opinion, but they keep making moves that sour my opinion of them. I have long spans of time where I've just refused to play the game because I can't stand it. I'll never get the MW game I really want.

When they defeated Harmony Gold, it was enough to get me to put a lot of that aside, come back, and buy a few mech packs to show my gratitude.

At the end of the day though, the Unseen are of far more importance to Succession Wars Spheroid Players than they are someone as fixated on the clans as I am. They certainly aren't important enough to me to make me overlook EGS. Especially since MW5 is more succession wars navel gazing.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #196 on: 31 August 2019, 21:45:13 »
I got mine refunded. I hope PGI survives this. 

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #197 on: 03 September 2019, 15:00:48 »
If they have a minimum sales clause they will. Another outfit was offered money plus a clause that would have Epic pay for the difference between expected units and actual unit sold. Then again, if you don't take the offer Epic won't consider putting you on their storefront.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #198 on: 03 September 2019, 21:17:00 »
Then again, if you don't take the offer Epic won't consider putting you on their storefront.

Good thing they avoided that, they could have lost dozens of sales!

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #199 on: 05 November 2019, 09:55:33 »
not sure who else still waiting but I knowess they pushed the open beta test dates from Nov 10th to the @6 now. I was all ready to enjoy beta testing that week as I was only scheduled for 3 days of work now   I got to wait until later ( and i wont get to beta much since i work retail and will be busy as can be.)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #200 on: 05 November 2019, 10:19:52 »
Guess they want make sure it's seamless as possible since the criticism is so high.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #201 on: 05 November 2019, 12:39:20 »
I'd be pretty worried about the state of the game if they can't push out the 'closed beta' any earlier when they've confirmed, multiple times, that it is just going to be instant-action.

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #202 on: 05 November 2019, 16:00:38 »
I'd be pretty worried about the state of the game if they can't push out the 'closed beta' any earlier when they've confirmed, multiple times, that it is just going to be instant-action.

I was worried when they said it was in alpha on the date they were originally planning to be in beta.

I hope it lasts long enough to release to Steam or GoG where I'll buy it.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #203 on: 05 November 2019, 17:54:44 »
I was worried when they said it was in alpha on the date they were originally planning to be in beta.

I hope it lasts long enough to release to Steam or GoG where I'll buy it.

Yeah, I meant "I'd be worried if I hadn't already gotten a refund..." but left out that second half.

I'll be shocked if the game isn't a dumpster fire on release. As you said, I hope it exists long enough to make it out of the exclusivity period.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #204 on: 06 November 2019, 04:36:43 »
Yeah, I meant "I'd be worried if I hadn't already gotten a refund..." but left out that second half.

I'll be shocked if the game isn't a dumpster fire on release. As you said, I hope it exists long enough to make it out of the exclusivity period.

To put it as bluntly as I can, if the game is that much of a dumpster fire, then I want no part of it. I'd rather have no MW than a terrible one to tarnish my memories.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #205 on: 06 November 2019, 06:37:09 »
I still like playing on MWO for the community whom i get play with. You may have different experiences, but to be in game with people who mutually like our Battletech universe or just playing because they enjoy the game play is gold for me despite the issues.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #206 on: 06 November 2019, 15:48:04 »
To put it as bluntly as I can, if the game is that much of a dumpster fire, then I want no part of it. I'd rather have no MW than a terrible one to tarnish my memories.

and the perceived viability of the IP

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #207 on: 21 November 2019, 10:51:03 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5FWZYuyeDY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2POm7wQrbE3y5Ndt8YyTjegieDY-uQ7BLA-fy98ySQP_hcsKh1Znmdajo

That jump sequence on the JumpShip! :3

I'm looking forwards to playing this. Personally I don't really care about the fraccas about it going to the other site and not STEAM right away. I'll just be happy being able to play it.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2019, 12:01:53 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #208 on: 21 November 2019, 12:02:36 »

That is looking quite good.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #209 on: 21 November 2019, 12:13:52 »
Yeppers...I thought today was the Day of BETA, but guess it's next Week.

Today is HEAVY METAL tho, so Battletech it is.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Register