Author Topic: Combat Air Patrol on jumpships  (Read 3198 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Combat Air Patrol on jumpships
« on: 24 May 2020, 01:45:50 »
Is there any mention of Combat Air Patrol on jumpships? I'm mostly interested in the late succession war era.  Is there ever mention of anything left behind at the jump point to act as guard?

Despite being RIGHT NEXT to an enemy flotilla, the Kurita jumpships in warrior: coup are so chill that the LOKI agent can wander around with a clipboard for a disguise. That suggests that the 'jumpship truce' is pretty solid. Does anyone take out "insurance?"

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Re: Combat Air Patrol on jumpships
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2020, 11:45:11 »
It was not unknown, as the book DropShips and JumpShips (FASA 1619), did mention the Quetzalcoatl type, a modified Scout with fighter bays for JumpPoint Security. It would vary based on the needs of the Successor State in question.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 23:01:07 »
So a rare jumpship conversion in an 80s product is the only time jumpship CAP was mentioned?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2020, 00:45:40 »
So a rare jumpship conversion in an 80s product is the only time jumpship CAP was mentioned?
it got brought up a few times during the Task Force Serpent novels while they were en route. including an incident where the warbook program of some fighters on CAP mistook some Hammerheads that were also flying CAP as clan Sabutai's, leading to a brief blue-on-blue.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2020, 23:00:41 »
For that period, yes. It was fully stated in TRO:3026r.

As glitterboy2098 said, it was noted as being part of TF Serpent, but to be honest, given how sensors work, CAP really isn't a requirement unless there's another need. Ready 5 fighters would have time to launch in the event of a hostile jumping in.
M. T. Thompson

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2020, 03:09:58 »
3057r, you mean?  ???

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2020, 10:32:34 »
I think it would depend on where the jumpship is going and operating. There might be a truce between Houses but there's always pirates.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2020, 19:28:52 »
3057r, you mean?  ???
Nope, TRO:3026 Revised edition, FanPro 10992, page 126.
I think it would depend on where the jumpship is going and operating. There might be a truce between Houses but there's always pirates.
Very true. In the Periphery rim, there would be more of a need of a Jump Point picket, but most of those systems are too poor to afford one.
M. T. Thompson

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2020, 02:34:30 »
Hmmm... I'll have to pick that one up at some point...  Thanks!  :thumbsup:

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2020, 03:54:50 »
Periphery rim, there would be more of a need of a Jump Point picket, but most of those systems are too poor to afford one.

True but I think most Captains who could would hire a couple mercs to provide fighter defense.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2020, 04:47:40 »
True but I think most Captains who could would hire a couple mercs to provide fighter defense.
Berthed where? Not many bays on jumpships, and tying up an entire jump collar - the most valuable commodity in succession war era battletech - is not something lightly done either.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2020, 09:12:45 »
Just looking at TRO:3057r they all have at least 1 small craft bay that can hold a fighter. Most have 2. If they have a dropship they could be berthed in it.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2020, 19:40:03 »
Of the original 5 JS from DS & JS,  I'm pretty sure the Monolith, & possibly the Star Lord, are fluffed as often carrying a Pair of Fighters for defense.

However, most Shuttle Bays on those 2 & ALL the bays on smaller JS are going to be devoted to actual Shuttles.

When you only have 2 bays you used for something to transport people around.

Most Civilian Ships have no need of ASF, as they are too costly & would rarely be attacked, and most Military Ships will get CAP from the DS they are carrying.

The only time you might actually have a need is if your a larger civilian ship that crosses boarders or operates near them & runs the risk of being attacked by a hostile force.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2020, 15:53:47 »
You mean, pirates? Plenty of those around.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2020, 11:15:54 »
For that period, yes. It was fully stated in TRO:3026r.

As glitterboy2098 said, it was noted as being part of TF Serpent, but to be honest, given how sensors work, CAP really isn't a requirement unless there's another need. Ready 5 fighters would have time to launch in the event of a hostile jumping in.

Which is why the Falcons jumping into the midst of the Hellion re-inforcement convoy during Op Icestorm was a headscratcher . . . they should have had 5-30 minutes warning that SOMETHING was jumping in- so kick the fighters out in case.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2020, 17:25:12 »
I suspect not all TPTB do the jump calculations to that level of detail...

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 16 June 2020, 19:05:43 »
As others have said to some degree, the sensors on a jumpship are much more powerful and longer ranged than those on an aerospace fighter.

Having fighters around to provide an active defense in case of a threat, that's one thing. Using fighters as some kind of system patrol/early warning system is not very effective. Satellites and jumpships, and space stations and even some system patrol/defense dropships can do the job extremely well. What you need/want is long range sensors and the operational endurance to keep monitoring 24/7 for days, weeks, months and even years. Aerospace fighters are too valuable in combat to be tasked to patrol someplace quiet.

Aerospace fighters are for combat, or sneaky recon stuff in hostile territory. When you consider the actual size of space and solar systems and jump points even, you realize that aerospace fighters are teeny tiny with limited sensor capabilities compared to everything else.

That's not to say aerospace fighters never fly CAP, but I feel like you'd need a specific reason, like an elevated risk of a threat because you are in the middle of a combat operation, or maybe just a desire to give your pilots some cockpit time and have them fly a nav point circuit. What happened with Taskforce Serpent's CAP could fall into either category, or both.

« Last Edit: 16 June 2020, 19:17:10 by Alan Grant »

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2021, 23:41:49 »
Is there any mention of Combat Air Patrol on jumpships? I'm mostly interested in the late succession war era.  Is there ever mention of anything left behind at the jump point to act as guard?

Despite being RIGHT NEXT to an enemy flotilla, the Kurita jumpships in warrior: coup are so chill that the LOKI agent can wander around with a clipboard for a disguise. That suggests that the 'jumpship truce' is pretty solid. Does anyone take out "insurance?"

If it's an invasion (or reinforcement) flotilla, there should be at least a wing to protect it. Jumpships aren't supposed to be destroyed, but they could certainly be captured.

If it's a friendly system near the border, then there should be a squadron or so based in the recharge station. An Olympus station has bays for both 6 ASF and 6 small craft, so I'd expect that there would always be at least a couple of small craft on rotating duty, to dock with arriving jumpships to checkoaoers, perform customs duties etc. The 6ASFs would be on call, if something hostile showed up.
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Register