Author Topic: Bloodnames Trait?  (Read 2678 times)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
Bloodnames Trait?
« on: 06 July 2015, 07:00:57 »
This trait is one of the most confusing and IMHO messed up traits in the game.
There are so many unanswered questions about how it work.
1. There are 50 Kerensky Bloodnames (not sure if any have been reaved but I would not think so) are all of them Level 13 or just some.
and the fact that most of the known Bloodname cant be gained by players.
2. Why would I pay 300 xp to have a reaved Bloodname.
3. Why would I pay anything for a Bloodname I may never get through play.(with title you only pay if you have a title not if you think you my be a Duke sometime in your career)
4. How do you determen what Bloodnames are worth what points is there a chart somewhere, and I'm not talking about the general Bloodname charts in the clan books. they only show what Bloodnames are general and which ones are phenotype.
5. There seems to be no diffrents between having the Bloodname and having the bloodline in the game?
6. Since Bloodnames are matrilineal when did this start and if it started right away how are the any Kerenskys both founders were male. (goes for most Bloodnames)
I'm trying to get a clan game started and after reading through the Bloodname rule most of my players are less then happy with them is why I'm here asking these questions.
So any help would be welcomed.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2015, 07:20:04 by victor_shaw »

malk2651

• Master Sergeant
Re: Bloodnames Trait?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2015, 08:22:11 »
Much like the vehicle trait, I make my players put in about 200 xp at creation and then ignore it.  I have them pick a bloodname they like and then through the course of playing they will earn the opportunity to fight for it.

If you want to Start the game as a fresh character with an exclusive bloodname, then it's time to pay the xp butcher.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2015, 09:18:25 »
Much like the vehicle trait, I make my players put in about 200 xp at creation and then ignore it.  I have them pick a bloodname they like and then through the course of playing they will earn the opportunity to fight for it.

If you want to Start the game as a fresh character with an exclusive bloodname, then it's time to pay the xp butcher.

I would think that just paying for Trueborn would cover your bloodname but that's just me i guess lol.

malk2651

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2015, 09:22:08 »
My guys tend to power game, that's 200 hundred they can't shove into their gunnery/mech skill.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2015, 10:12:59 »
The main problem is the chart is way off the mark.
why would you pay 300-400xp for a reaved Bloodname which you can't get during play due to it being a failed bloodline.
and how does holding a reaved Bloodname make you more Imported (IE a failed bloodline) in Clan society.

Now my fix for this would be to shift the chart as such.

Trait TP                    Bloodname
       -2               Reaved Exclusive Bloodname**
       -1               Reaved Non-Exclusive Bloodname**
      +0               Lesser Non-Exclusive Bloodname (provided as part of the Trueborn Trait)
      +1               Greater Non-Exclusive General Bloodname
      +2               Greater Non-Exclusive Phenotype Bloodname
      +3               Lesser Exclusive General Bloodname
      +4               Lesser Exclusive Phenotype Bloodname
      +5               Greater Exclusive General Bloodname*
      +6               Greater Exclusive Phenotype Bloodname*
      +7                          Kerensky's Legacy*

Note:This Trait indicates a matrilineal link to the Bloodname not that the player has the name.
To start play with the bloodname pay +400xp*
*marked Bloodnames must be attained during play.
** sane as about, Must also have reputation 3+ and successfully petition Bloodhouse to reinstated the name.

what do you think :)
« Last Edit: 06 July 2015, 10:14:48 by victor_shaw »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2015, 11:30:35 »
This trait is one of the most confusing and IMHO messed up traits in the game.
There are so many unanswered questions about how it work.
1. There are 50 Kerensky Bloodnames (not sure if any have been reaved but I would not think so) are all of them Level 13 or just some.
and the fact that most of the known Bloodname cant be gained by players.

I think the Kerensky ones should be Rank 13. Even if they're sort of tarnished from some actions, they're still Kerensky bloodnames, and are going to be quite prestigious and game changing. They're such an advantage that characters starting out with them can really skew things.

Also keep in mind the chart doesn't prevent your from gaining those bloodnames, you just can't start with them.

2. Why would I pay 300 xp to have a reaved Bloodname.

A reaved Bloodname is simply a Bloodname that has had its count lowered. It no longer has the full 25 count, so your bloodhouse has lost prestige. It isn't like Wars of Reaving where the entire name has been eliminated.

3. Why would I pay anything for a Bloodname I may never get through play.(with title you only pay if you have a title not if you think you my be a Duke sometime in your career)

This..is a big issue I think. You do realize that if you've paid 300 XP to have Bloodname at +3, that means you START with the Bloodname? You don't have to earn it later on, you already have gone through the Trials of Bloodright. Read page 127. Its not totally clear, but if you read it closely you'll see that you have the name.

4. How do you determen what Bloodnames are worth what points is there a chart somewhere, and I'm not talking about the general Bloodname charts in the clan books. they only show what Bloodnames are general and which ones are phenotype.

Good question. I'm honestly not sure :) The back of ATOW gives some examples, but I'm not sure if there's anything that specifically says "This is this kind of bloodname." Maybe Ask the Writers?

5. There seems to be no diffrents between having the Bloodname and having the bloodline in the game?

Again, if you have the Bloodname Trait, you already have the Bloodname, while your Bloodline is just who you descended from, and will eventually trial for.

6. Since Bloodnames are matrilineal when did this start and if it started right away how are the any Kerenskys both founders were male. (goes for most Bloodnames)

It most likely started when the Iron Wombs took off. The Clan scientists would've been able to fiddle with things to make the Kerensky DNA the matrilinial contributor.

I'm trying to get a clan game started and after reading through the Bloodname rule most of my players are less then happy with them is why I'm here asking these questions.
So any help would be welcomed.

They're a little odd and lacking in information, but I think the biggest thing you're missing is that if you have the Bloodname Trait, then you have already gone through your Trial of Bloodright, and you HAVE the Bloodname.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2015, 12:40:49 by Maelwys »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2015, 12:29:25 »
A reaved Bloodname is simply a Bloodname that has had its count lowered. It no longer has the full 25 count, so your bloodhouse has lost prestige. It isn't like Wars of Reaving where the entire name has been eliminated.

This..is a big issue I think. You do realize that if you've paid 300 XP to have Bloodname at +3, that means you START with the Bloodname? You don't have to earn it later on, you already have gone through the Trials of Bloodright. Read page 127. Its not totally clear, but if you read it closely you'll see that you have the name.

Good question. I'm honestly not sure :) The back of ATOW gives some examples, but I'm not sure if there's anything that specifically says "This is this kind of bloodname." Maybe Ask the Writers?

Again, if you have the Bloodname Trait, you already have the Bloodname, while your Bloodline is just who you descended from, and will eventually trial for.

It most likely started when the Iron Wombs took off. The Clan scientists would've been able to fiddle with things to make the Kerensky DNA the matrilinial contributor.

They're a little odd and lacking in information, but I think the biggest thing you're missing is that if you have the Bloodname Trait, then you have already gone through your Trial of Bloodright, and you HAVE the Bloodname.
ok so I can opt down the 50xp bloodname ponits I get then say my character is of the Kerensky Bloodline and get it in game for free?  ???
If this is true then why would anyone want to pay for this (by these rules) lame Trait?  :-\

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2015, 12:38:19 »
My guys tend to power game, that's 200 hundred they can't shove into their gunnery/mech skill.

My take on this is: 
  Well then, they don't want the bloodname very badly, do they? 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2015, 12:44:02 »
ok so I can opt down the 50xp bloodname ponits I get then say my character is of the Kerensky Bloodline and get it in game for free?  ???
If this is true then why would anyone want to pay for this (by these rules) lame Trait?  :-\

If your GM allows it, I suppose so. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing that limits you with regards to your character's bloodline.

If you take the Trait, you have the Bloodname. You've already succeeded at one of the primary goals that every Clanner wants. If you don't take it, you're going to have to hope that at some point another Kerensky dies, you're good enough to get nominated by one of the survivors (or pass through the melee), then succeed in the rest of the Trial..its certainly not a guarantee that you're going to get one.

edit
I suppose (and sometimes I wonder why this wasn't done, but oh well), if your GM wanted to make the character pay for having a rather prestigious Bloodname, then he could use the "Heir" mechanic that the Title trait has. Want to be a Kerensky bloodline? Then you need to pop down 1200 XP to pay for such a prestigious Bloodline. Just a thought.
/edit
« Last Edit: 06 July 2015, 12:48:19 by Maelwys »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2015, 12:46:42 »
If your GM allows it, I suppose so. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing that limits you with regards to your character's bloodline.

If you take the Trait, you have the Bloodname. You've already succeeded at one of the primary goals that every Clanner wants. If you don't take it, you're going to have to hope that at some point another Kerensky dies, you're good enough to get nominated by one of the survivors (or pass through the melee), then succeed in the rest of the Trial..its certainly not a guarantee that you're going to get one.

True but with the 1300xp you did not have to spend thats alot of gunnery and piloting  >:D

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2015, 13:50:51 »
True, but that works for any build really, and limits the character in other ways.

I asked in the Clan forums, this might help, but it seems alot of the info is found though digging through the books and Sarna.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/clan-chatterweb/bloodname-information/msg1091463/#msg1091463

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2015, 04:25:11 »
  I make it random. I'm currently running a Clan campaign and all the players rolled obscure/lackluster bloodnames. That's how it works for me. maybe I could allow spending points to roll on higher tier/quality bloodnames but it's Clan Burrock...

Register