Author Topic: Return of Fire & Blood  (Read 5989 times)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Re: Return of Fire & Blood
« Reply #60 on: 26 October 2023, 13:04:53 »
Just going to go ahead and lock this one for a little bit while we sort out what’s going on in here.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #61 on: 02 November 2023, 09:59:57 »
I will say this, there should be Blood Spirit and Fire Mandrill bloodnames active in the Inner Sphere. According to Shrapnel #4 or #5, several decades after the Wars of Reaving, the IS Clans decided to establish new bloodhouses based on bloodlines from Home Clans, so there could be Sainzes or Carrolls running around in Clan Wolf/Falcon/Horses. And if Alaric wanted to bolster the number of Clans under his command, he could spin them off like he did for the Smoke Jaguars.

Of course, in the SJ case, there was already a separate population of SJ-descendants yearning (yuck) to be a Clan again. No such case exists for the Blood Spirits or Mandrills, just descendants who probably don't think much of their ancestor's clans.
Clan Protectorate

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #62 on: 02 November 2023, 11:37:52 »
I’d argue that there’s little chance of that, for a few reasons: all of those listed Bloodnames were exclusive, Spirits and Mandrills are notoriously difficult to integrate when captured, and the Spheroid Clans all voted to cut off contact with the Home Clans. The likelihood of seeing those Bloodnames ever showing up in the Inner Sphere are slim to none, unfortunately.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #63 on: 02 November 2023, 16:28:33 »
Shrapnel issue 3 explicitly says that there is an Inner Sphere Boques Bloodname in the Inner Sphere, so at least one Blood Spirit Bloodname did continue
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #64 on: 02 November 2023, 16:47:33 »
Such a weird new development, since it’s basically stealing a Bloodright that they’d otherwise have zero right or claim on, but it makes sense in the larger context that the Clans are eroding/evolving over time and losing their identity.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #65 on: 02 November 2023, 18:04:17 »
Shrapnel issue 3 explicitly says that there is an Inner Sphere Boques Bloodname in the Inner Sphere, so at least one Blood Spirit Bloodname did continue

It's common enough name, like Smith, Smyth? Smithe?

You get the picture...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #66 on: 03 November 2023, 00:09:17 »
Wolves could maybe have used the Blood Spirit heritage of Sumner Johns?  Abatakha warrior from the good ole Wolf Clan Sourcebook.  He seemed to be quite content to become a Wolf, though he disappeared along with the rest of his trinary when Phelan and a third of the Wolves broke for Arc Royal.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2023, 00:13:19 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #67 on: 03 November 2023, 01:32:12 »
It's common enough name, like Smith, Smyth? Smithe?

You get the picture...

TT

No, it is explicitly the former Blood Spirit name, from warriors taken during Harvest Trials when the Council of Six chose to allow them to create new bloodhouses
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 03 November 2023, 08:29:31 »
Just my opinion. There's one contingent of Mandrills that I think represent a greatest single source of Inner Sphere bloodhouses in any meaningful quantity.

On Arcadia, right at the start of the Wars of Reaving, the forces of Kindraa Payne-Beyl-Grant landed on Arcadia and challenged the Ghost Bears. The Bears crushed them. That Kindraa ceased to exist (as far as we know, albeit their warship fleet might have carried the banner longer). Shortly after that the Bears left the Homeworlds.

If the survivors were scooped up and made bondsmen, that could represent a decent number of bondsmen who might have had qualms/regrets about the Wars of Reaving events in due time.

Also, historically speaking, many Mandrill bondsmen were uncooperative specifically because they wanted to be reclaimed by their Kindraa. For these Payne-Beyl-Grant warriors who watched their entire Kindraa's touman get destroyed, they might have recognized the futility of that line of thinking and so lose a critical source of motivation to BE uncooperative with their new Clan.

Who in turn might have found common purpose with the Bears over the rumors of Clan Wolverine survival that Stone stirred up among the Bears. Enough for some of those Mandrills to set aside any bitterness they may feel and devote themselves to regaining their warrior status and go Wolverine hunting with the Bears. Regardless of how that ended, it might have been enough of a push of solidarity in the face of a perceived common cause.

Though ironically, any such former Mandrill warriors motivated in such a way, are just as likely to have ended up among the Clan forces that join the Coalition and from there they could have ended up as part of the Republic. Therefore, not forming a new Bloodname House but becoming part of that movement toward the dream Stone laid out.

I know that sounds perhaps too cooperative for the uncooperative Mandrills. But that era and everything they experienced changed a lot of people. We know a lot of Clansmen who otherwise would not have been moved to leave their Clan did exactly that. Transformative eras like that have a way of challenging and crushing existing preconceptions and assumptions. Anyone who lived through all those years, all those very dramatic events, was undoubtably changed by the experience of it. I think it's more than enough for any decent writer to work with to bring some Mandrill-origin characters or Bloodname Houses to life.

I still regard the odds as slim, because of how destructive that era was, and how many people simply did not live to see the other side of the Wars of Reaving/Jihad era. But not zero.

Also, I'm in camp of "I could take it or leave it." I don't think longevity into the more current eras is necessarily that big a deal. You aren't following the Mandrills anymore, you are just following people who happen to have some Mandrills on the family tree generations ago and share a surname, it's not the same. It reduces the Mandrill presence to little more than an easter egg in Battletech references. There to the delight of a few fans who enjoy spotting the easter egg. Little more.

But in theory, if someone was looking to do it, what I described above is one possible path.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2023, 08:41:20 by Alan Grant »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #69 on: 03 November 2023, 23:44:09 »
@VensersRevenge

It's a joke

@AlanGrant

I agree.
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register