Author Topic: Manufacturing Plants on Diik  (Read 2343 times)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
Manufacturing Plants on Diik
« on: 18 February 2016, 02:52:53 »
I've just been reading up on the Calderon Protectorate, and there's something I'm hoping to clarify regarding the planet Diik. In Objectives: Periphery on page 13 there's a reworked AgroMech factory producing Retrotech Toros named the "Protectorate Arms Conglomerate". However, listed on the same page in a box in the lefthand column entitled "State of the Industry at a Glance (Dec 3079) is a "Protectorate Def. Conglomerate" located on Diik, with no mention of a Protectorate Arms Conglomerate.

In Field Manual: 3145 on page 188 the Calderon Protectorate entry mentions the presence of a "Protectorate Arms Conglomerate" on Diik, but not a "Protectorate Defense Conglomerate". Technical Readout: 3145 Mercenaries also mentions a "Protectorate Arms Conglomerate" in the Spectre entry on page 5. However, the Star Dagger entry in XTRO: Retrotech lists the Star Dagger as being manufactured by the "Protectorate Defense Conglomerate, Diik".

The only source that lists both companies is Objectives: Periphery, which leaves me wondering - are the two companies one and the same, with interchangeable names, or did the company perhaps start out as the Protectorate Defense Conglomerate and then become the Protectorate Arms Conglomerate? Alternatively, is one of the names correct and the other a mistake?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Gravedigger

• Freelance Writer
  • Sergeant
Re: Manufacturing Plants on Diik
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2016, 12:28:40 »
Simple Answer: Hmm...

Less Simple Answer: Damned if I know.  ;)

More Complex Answer: This was probably confusion between authors (myself included). The easiest explanation (and the one that would mean all previous information is valid) is that these are the same company, but it uses two separate names depending on if the product is meant for export or local planetary use, or for just about any corporate shenanigans you want to think of. The primary name would be the one used in the most recent publication.

Sorry for the confusion!
Aaron "Gravedigger" Pollyea

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2016, 13:00:25 »
The easiest explanation (and the one that would mean all previous information is valid) is that these are the same company, but it uses two separate names depending on if the product is meant for export or local planetary use, or for just about any corporate shenanigans you want to think of. The primary name would be the one used in the most recent publication.
This. Thanks Aaron.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2016, 02:36:41 »
That's great, thank you both :) That makes the Protectorate Arms Conglomerate the most common trading name for the company, as that was in the various 3145-dated products.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2016, 02:38:23 by BrokenMnemonic »

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo