Author Topic: Repost: Mech of the Week: Hellstar  (Read 61020 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Repost: Mech of the Week: Hellstar
« on: 07 February 2011, 09:43:51 »
'Mech of the Week: Hellstar

Sorry about the article timing.  The last couple of weeks have been occupied dealing with the end of the semester around campus and things were something of a madhouse there for a bit.  Anyway, without further ado, here's the Hellstar!

A product of the same cooperation that produced the Cygnus, the Hellstar was developed jointly by the Hell's Horses and the Wolves-in-Exile.  The Hellstar was built on a 95 ton chassis derived from the somewhat older Cyngus and shares a number of components with it, probably including the 380-rated extra-light fusion engine that drives it to 64 kph and certainly the targeting and communications systems, and entered production in 3079.  While the Exiles are still building it at WC Site 1 on Arc-Royal, the Horses have decided to put it into production at Csesztreg Industrialplex Alpha on their capital world of Csesztreg.  While I don't have any evidence one way or the other, it's possible that the Horses have also moved Cygnus production here from their Transitional Facility HH-Beta mobile factory.  Slightly more heavily armored, the Hellstar mounts 18.5 tons of standard plate arranged very sensibly.  It takes three Gauss or heavy particle cannon shots to strip the front CT, two on the sides with two points left on the arms, and a redoubtable 40 points on the legs.  The rear has 10 on the sides and fifteen on the rear.  Clearly, neither Clan involved wanted this thing going down quickly short of freak hits.  The heat sink load looks obscene with no less than 30 doubles... and then we come to the real power of this beast, no less than four Ripper Series A1 extended-range particle cannons, each of them with all the power of a Gauss rifle and none of the explosive critical aftertaste.  The Hellstar is a monster - with good endurance, high damage, and good cooling, it's a starkly dangerous take on the concept of an Awesome IIC, sort of a horrifying Clan nightmare amalgamation of the AWS-9M and 9Q models.  Oddly, the arm housings have been seen being used as melee tools to kill downed Blakist 'Mechs in the hands of the Exiles, but with little further information, it's hard to comment.

Two variants have been spotted to date.  The first one really works that Awesome comparison hard by returning to a more traditional heat curve by dropping five freezers for a targeting computer.  The accuracy makes up for the loss in sustained punch while the fourth ER PPC still provides a reserve against little things like limbs being torn off in combat.  I think I prefer the simplicity of the baseline but the Hellstar 2 is definitely nothing to sneer at.  The Hellstar 3 treads a little further from the norm.  The particle cannons were removed entirely, instead mounting a quartet of Series 7A extended-range large lasers for ranged punch (and at ranges equal to the Inner Sphere's light Gauss rifle at that), with two Kolibri Omega Series medium pulse lasers in the center torso for additional close-range mayhem.  The targeting computer is still there, too, although a bit smaller, and the partners added ECM and an active probe for electronic support.  Twenty-eight double heat sinks provide a heat curve nearly identical to the original's, although when playing sniper games, a Hellstar 3 is going to run quite cool.  What it lacks in punch it makes up for in accuracy and utility.  Especially dealing with the Word of Blake, I really like this model, but it's a good general combatant.  In general, Hellstars are sort of like Eisensturms - big, nasty, and nothing you want to deal with without a lot of friends along for the ride.

In broad strokes, using a Hellstar involves picking an enemy and grinding them into dust, then finding another target and repeating the process.  The first two, lacking advanced electronics, aren't especially subtle but at 4/6, they're every bit as maneuverable as the standard heavy 'Mechs of the Inner Sphere.  Don't rely entirely on your armor, either - watch for things like partial cover or forest hexes to gain cover as you stalk your prey.  The Hellstar 3, with ECM, can do jamming or, under advanced rules, counter-jamming (mainly useful for colleagues with Artemis IV and not always worth it) and ghost targets to improve your defensive modifiers.  You're tough but every bit helps and considering the BV you paid to put it down on the table, you don't want this thing going away any time soon.  The active probe lets it both detect distant targets and assist in searching for close-in ambushes although you need to watch for infantry, which no Hellstar is going to have an easy time eliminating.  Make sure the pilot is up to snuff - Hellstars draw attention, which means sustained, voluminous fire, which means PSRs.  Losing one because some idiot butterfingered the controls and critted his own cockpit is going to be embarassing.

Countering a Hellstar is a tall order and involves firepower and a lot of it.  There's no explosive ammo or Gauss weapons anywhere and they're packed full of heat sinks, so there's plenty of stuff to soak hits and keep the weapons intact.  I still recommend using them but mainly for the hope of dinging the head and making the pilot black out or possibly popping the cockpit.  Word of Blake players would be forgiven for whipping out the nukes, but you'd better use an Alamo or larger - a Hellstar has a good chance of weathering a Crockett if it doesn't land in the same hex.  Unless you've got a good reason (zell being the only one I can think of), don't try to fight a Hellstar one on one.  Focus fire on it and bring it down hard, pulling out every dirty trick you can get your hands on.  Consider whether or not there are supporting elements you can eliminate quickly, though - comparable forces can weather a Hellstar's fusillade long enough to squash ankle biters and get them off the map as soon as possible.  Headcappers need to be a large part of your problem-solving strategy.  Generating potential cockpit snaps is always good but, more importantly, you need the penetration.  Try to make sure you force a PSR every round - it may only inconvenience the pilot but between catastrophic potential and the way it forces them to slow down (and thus burns away their TMM), a fall can only work to your advantage.  Incendiary tactics can annoy Hellstars but generally won't cripple one - all of them have simply enormous heat sink numbers and can quite readily absorb temporary spikes.  TAG it and focus Arrow IVs and semi-guided LRMs, Narc it (aside from the 3, which can shut Narc back down), whatever you can do - they're big, they're bad, and they're going to make a real mess before they die.  (Author's Note: Last time around, there were serious suggestions about infantry, which is difficult for Hellstars to deal with decisively.)

That's my take, anyway.  What do you guys think?

Image Reference: The Master Unit List shows the artwork and also just how pricy these things really are... and how far they've spread in the Republic era, showing that people are still willing to pay for quality products.  CamoSpecs has but a lone example from the Horses' Kappa Galaxy.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2011, 00:54:05 by Moonsword »

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
Re: Repost: Mech of the Week: Hellstar
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2011, 09:47:03 »
Great article. I like the Hellstar because it is synonymous with FEAR!
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

RGCavScout

• Master Sergeant
  • We are the Brute Squad!
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2011, 10:45:30 »
What a wonderfully simple killing machine!  Good speed, good armor, nice weapons package. 

So simple, even a freebirth can use it.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."  Dread Pirate Roberts

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2011, 14:49:15 »
Simple to use, hard to kill, brutally effective.  What else do you need?

A pinnacle of Clan engineering.

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2011, 16:02:32 »
Somewhere in the past I read that the Commonwealth intended the Hellstar as its main assault Mech in the Dark Age, which was the reason that some other 'more traditional' Mech was scrapped/sold/whatever.
This really made me go:  :o  [drool]

maddyfish

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2011, 20:55:35 »
I like them, and like anything else, if one is good, two are better

My opponent decided a frontal attack with his Hatchetman and Axman was in order. During this round's fire phase, the Hatchetman took 7 ErPPc hits and disolved.
Have Wasp, will travel

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2011, 18:38:18 »
I like them, and like anything else, if one is good, two are better

My opponent decided a frontal attack with his Hatchetman and Axman was in order. During this round's fire phase, the Hatchetman took 7 ErPPc hits and disolved.

History does not remember how dramatic a frontal assault looked.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2011, 11:30:05 »
Somewhere in the past I read that the Commonwealth intended the Hellstar as its main assault Mech in the Dark Age, which was the reason that some other 'more traditional' Mech was scrapped/sold/whatever.
This really made me go:  :o  [drool]
Don't believe that the LC would choose a clantech Mech as standard.
The Hellstar is an excellent PPC boat, but not an all-rounder I'd choose as a standard.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2011, 14:42:39 »
Intuitive as it is, a Hellstar can serve as an assualt mech just as well as the Awesome could in its era.  They've got about the same speed relititve to other mechs of their era, the same long range, and while the Hellstar has no minimums it exists in an era where few other mechs do either.

So was the Awesome ever a key assualt mech?  I think it was, in the sense that it could and did serve as the anchor mech in a group of ligher and more flexable mechs, and I think the Hellstar can do that as well.  How much more effective are your Zeuses and Falconers and Lynxes and Griffins and Spectors if you've got a Hellstar supporting them?  Assualt mechs, even for the Lyrans, have never really been a mainstay mech, but rather a specal sort of thing that you can sprinkle in where needed, and no qustion the Hellstar is very specal.

Though I'd still probably have a Hauptman and just use my Clan ER PPCs to make a veriant for my Clantech-heavy units.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2011, 18:52:00 »
To expand on Iron Mongoose's (very accurate) points: An Awesome is the sort of assault 'Mech that requires a significant concentration of force to stop and compels an enemy to do so and, in their eras, both the AWS-8Q and 9Q generated sustained damage levels that were above average, particularly given their durability and the concentration of damage.  The Hellstar is the same sort of thing but it's somewhat muted because of the sheer power of Clantech.  Other Clan 'Mechs can beat it out for burst damage but not many are as tough, they frequently can't sustain it as well, and some of the ones that can throw more damage around (Jupiter, Bane) don't have the same speed.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2011, 19:21:25 »
History does not remember how dramatic a frontal assault looked.

Not entirely true. History books still report how the Union Army thought Pickett's Charge was a spectacular sight...

And then the guns opened up...  #P

maddyfish

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2011, 18:30:25 »
Looking back on it, that was not a great firing position. On contentious gorund, retreat would have been very difficult. But I guess 2 Hellstars are unlikely to retreat from an Axman, a Hatchetman, a PHawk and a Bandersnatch.
Have Wasp, will travel

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2011, 11:25:33 »
Subtle this bad boy ain't.  The Hellstar is one of th emost brutal 'Mechs FASA/FanPro/Catalyst has ever put out.  Can other designs do more damage?  Yeah.  Are other designs faster?  Sure.  But there are very few designs out there that just consistently throw nigh-unstoppable death down the field like a Hellstar.

It is horrifying to see them on the field.  In a game about dice and luck being a factor, the Hellstar can eliminate that.  It has four headcappers, but doesn't need to take your face off to ruin your day.  Most 'Mechs can only reasonably take a couple salvos before some part is in danger of critical damage.  Light 'Mechs have no business being in the same area code, and mediums are just an appetizer.

Brutal design.  I will use it as a fear piece, not design a fight around it.  I can't think of a 'Mech that inspires more concern and terror on the battlefield.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2011, 11:55:14 »
I can think of a couple.  All of them are Gauss boats and none of them have the Hellstar's mobility.  Warhawks can get close sometimes, though.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2011, 14:24:50 »
I can think of a couple.  All of them are Gauss boats and none of them have the Hellstar's mobility.  Warhawks can get close sometimes, though.
I'm less concerned of a Gauss boat.  I can crit a Gauss and cause additional damage, and they are big targets.  No such luck on a Hellstar.  A Warhawk can be scary in a custom variant, but most really deadly versions are not even close to as heat efficient.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2011, 14:49:21 »
*rereads your post*  ...ah, surpass, not match.  No, I'm not aware of anything that can surpass the menace.  Gausszilla can try, but it's not quite going to pull it off - too much can outrun it with casual ease.  Anything that really tries is going to wind up looking more or less like a Hellstar, much like those putative Warhawks would.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2011, 16:52:38 »
Bane 4, Turkey D  given a closed in environment, that is.  If we're fighting in Kansas, I agree with you.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2011, 17:02:23 »
The Bane 4 simply doesn't have the speed or range to compete in the same niche.  Now, in a close range encounter?  I'm more scared of it than I am the Hellstar.  It's like comparing a Demolisher II to an Alacorn Mk VI - they're both very dangerous but it's an apples and oranges sort of thing.

The Turkina D is a bit of an odd duck and is closer to an even match.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2011, 17:12:46 »
The main alternitive to pure power is to go the accuracy route, leading to things like the Supernova 4, Dire Wolf A, Turkina B, or even the Hellstar's own alternate model.  Thouse PPCs can't hurt what they can't hit, so a force with good speed and some terrain can just try and work on the fringes of its range.  The only way to escape the TCed LPL is just to be 21 hexes or more away.  They're not quite as purely frightening, and since they're both slower and shorter ranged they have a smaller 'bubble,' but in the sense that they can project their power more effectively into the long ranged part of their bubble, they can actualy seem to have a larger one when the dice hit the mat.  I'll take a fast enough mech and play at 16 or 17 hexes with a Hellstar, provided the gunner's not Morgan Kell or Natasha Kenersky, but not a Dire Wolf A or Turkina B.

Oddly, the best solution to thouse mechs is probably a Hellstar, which doesn't care about getting hit, but can make you care very much.

And of course, if you're clever and can get close, the Turk D, Dire Wolf S (or H), Bain 4, Kodiak, and a few others can really lay down some savage hurt. 

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2011, 20:47:23 »
Sure, the Bane 4 is a mean duck.  But ONLY at dead close range.  IMO, that is why the Hellstar is so dangerous.  There are only a few weapons that can match the range, and with no minimums or any particular drawbacks, the 4 ER PPCs are just dangerous everywhere.  You can only barely out range them, and if you do, only barely.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 12 February 2011, 21:07:26 »
Sure, the Bane 4 is a mean duck.  But ONLY at dead close range.  IMO, that is why the Hellstar is so dangerous.  There are only a few weapons that can match the range, and with no minimums or any particular drawbacks, the 4 ER PPCs are just dangerous everywhere.  You can only barely out range them, and if you do, only barely.

There's a couple I can think of that manage more than barely (Clan LB 2-Xs and extended LRMs) but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't deliberately looking for something with a longer range at that point.  If the terrain's not favorable, they're not going to accomplish enough to justify the aggravation, either.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2011, 02:53:55 »
Worst thing about the Hellstar is its speed, in that sense, in that it can close the gap on an LB2 in a turn, or close the gap on ATM ERs at a walk.  Or it can back up enough to put what ever out of range.  Its got a 10 hex band where it can move to change the range, which is a whole lot for an enemy trying to play games with it, and it can move foward and turn, or back and turn, with out giving up a bonus to the enemy.  Its a nice advantage over a 3/5, and makes the mech all the tricker to work over, since the things that you do to a 3/5 (Fire Falcon B on a salt flat) are harder or impossible to do here.

DragonKhan55

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 18 June 2012, 23:14:25 »
The nova Cat A might make for a good fight-jumper, 4 Clan ERLLs, TarComp, cool as ice on a jumping alpha no less!

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #23 on: 19 June 2012, 01:26:23 »
great min/max design, the ultimat in clan cheese  O0 and why so many people hate clantech lol  #P

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 19 June 2012, 02:55:02 »
They likely already hated Clan tech.  I like the Hellstar a lot, myself. 

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #25 on: 19 June 2012, 03:31:43 »
Hellstar is not nice

That is all
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #26 on: 19 June 2012, 07:25:33 »

It is essentially the peak of canon Battlemech design. There simply is no way to improve it.

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2012, 08:43:15 »
The Hellstar can put the hurt on pretty much any other unit type on the battlefield short of perhaps conventional infantry...and those it can still pretty easily outdistance and pick off a couple of troopers per hit at a time if it knows they're there and can get line of sight at ranges that favor it. It has no obvious range issues or other exploitable weak spots. (Well, perhaps that it can't flip its arms and so can only target enemies to its rear with two guns instead of four. Scant comfort for some reason, that.)

Really, in open battle the only quick way to bring this thing down would seem to be to just bring enough overwhelming force to bear to hammer it down ASAP and not let whatever return hits it may manage to inflict in the process get under one's skin. They're going to hurt, sure, but it was going to use those ER PPCs on your units anyway...

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #28 on: 19 June 2012, 09:31:34 »
That or equip your hunter mech with Reflective and Blue Shield, and watch the Hellstar pilot squirm.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #29 on: 19 June 2012, 10:02:11 »
That or equip your hunter mech with Reflective and Blue Shield, and watch the Hellstar pilot squirm.

Just don't let it kick you.

Register