Author Topic: Stats  (Read 3279 times)

bblaney

• Lieutenant
Stats
« on: 24 November 2021, 16:18:23 »
So I am wondering, as I can't find anything concrete on the subject.

Stats, how does say a 6 in a Stat compare to real life? Like examples of say what a Str of 5 is, and so on, for visualization purposes.

Help????????
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
Re: Stats
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2021, 16:40:50 »
So I am wondering, as I can't find anything concrete on the subject.

Stats, how does say a 6 in a Stat compare to real life? Like examples of say what a Str of 5 is, and so on, for visualization purposes.

Help????????

Well according to a small paragraph in the book on page 35. 4 is considered average and 8 is considered excellent, but this falls apart when you see the the minimum required attributes for military basic training are 3. So by that logic the average soldier is below average lol.

arachneo

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2021, 17:27:43 »
Note that an Attribute check has a target number of 12.
So a 4 Attribute needs 8 or more in a 2D6 roll  :o
And a double Attribute check needs 18
With 4 + 4 of two Attributes you need a 10 or more in a 2D6 roll
Very easy   ??? :(

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2021, 19:31:46 »
Well according to a small paragraph in the book on page 35. 4 is considered average and 8 is considered excellent, but this falls apart when you see the the minimum required attributes for military basic training are 3. So by that logic the average soldier is below average lol.

actually that just says that somewhat below average people can get into the military, not that the average soldier is below average in stats.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2021, 20:05:46 »
What I am getting at is, what would you consider a real life representation of a 6 STR and 6 BOD?
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2021, 20:13:08 »
Given the minimum requirements to be a Battle Armor pilot, I'm going to go with the guys who compete in, but don't win, competitions on at least a regional, if not national level.  The guys with 8s are Olympians (i.e., compete and win on an international level).  The main thing to remember is that the BT universe has orders of magnitude more people to draw from.

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2021, 14:08:55 »
What I am getting at is, what would you consider a real life representation of a 6 STR and 6 BOD?

Not sure about BOD, since it's just a generic representation of how tough the body is.  For STR, however, use p. 170 (Encumbrance limits) from AToW:
  • carrying less than 40kg/88.19lbs:  not encumbered (no effects)
  • carrying 40-79.99kg/88.19-176.36lbs:  encumbered (effectively half normal movement rate, 1 extra Fatigue point per turn if Sprinting or engaged in combat)
  • carrying 80-124.99kg/176.37-275.57lbs:  very encumbered (effectively 1/3 normal movement rate, 1 extra Fatigue point per turn if engaged in combat or using any movement type except Walking or Crawling)
  • carrying 125+kg/275.58+ lbs:  generally unable to move at all, you're just lifting the weight above your head (GM may allow them to have 1 MP & move at essentially a standing Crawling movement; probably no combat possible at all)

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2021, 05:17:51 »
Thanks guys and gals!

Register