Author Topic: AToW Is Back Baby!  (Read 15480 times)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
AToW Is Back Baby!
« on: 06 July 2022, 22:30:03 »

As predicted based on the recent errata update, we're getting a reprint! And with a retro cover too! TSW-style!
« Last Edit: 06 July 2022, 22:31:44 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: AToW Is Back Baby!
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2022, 04:39:51 »
I usually only pick up reprints in pdf, but that one I MUST have in hard copy!  :thumbsup:

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2022, 07:41:28 »
I got to applaud them for that choice.
You gave Destiny the old MW1e look.
You give this one the old Succession Wars boxed set look.
That's a helluva send off for finalizing the reprints with old school covers.  :clap:
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2022, 07:55:53 »
Nothing will ever top the OG MW1e cover in my book, but this one is up there!  8)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2022, 08:55:31 »
No more A Time of War?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2022, 08:59:05 »
Eh, what? ???

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2022, 09:22:26 »
No more A Time of War?
Much more A Time of War.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

abou

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2022, 09:34:42 »
I'm glad we are getting it for the errata and the retro cover.

At the same time, we are due for a 2nd ed. with new mechanics. Looking back on the history of D&D as an example, they never went 13 years between versions. And considering the issues with AToW, I think it is time to address them.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2022, 09:53:50 »
C:-) -MOD Directive-
Unlocking this now but to be very clear this thread is about the reprint of AToW and what can be expected from it.

Not about Mechwarrior:Destiny or any comparisons to other RPG lines (CGL or not).

In other words STAY ON TOPIC.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2022, 10:16:56 »
Many thanks, Hammer.

And, on that note, it really will be nice to be able to get a physical copy without breaking the bank. Old-spine copy secondhand prices are just ridiculous, even for okay condition copies. Sadly, it's still probably going to be $45-$50, what with the shipping issues and paper shortages and whatnot, but that's still a fair sight better.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2022, 10:32:36 »
based on the abnormally large size of AToW compared to the other books, $59.99 is not out of the question

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2022, 10:33:46 »
I don't mind paying for that gorgeous cover!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 13 July 2022, 11:44:31 by Daryk »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2022, 11:38:42 »
i'm one of those filthy collectors and paid an unreasonable amount of money for the Companion so i'm also in to finish out the retro covers

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2022, 11:45:18 »
Darn thinking faster than I'm typing! Edited in the missing word above...  ::)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 14 July 2022, 08:05:34 »
Locked because people can't stop talking about games that aren't AToW in a thread about the first new release for AToW in who knows how long.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #15 on: 14 July 2022, 17:48:39 »
MODERATOR NOTICE

Failure to follow directions and stay on topic in this thread will result in warnings being issued.

Some of you may have noticed I've pruned a couple more posts.  That's because they were talking about another RPG line, which my colleague was quite clear not to do:

C:-) -MOD Directive-
Unlocking this now but to be very clear this thread is about the reprint of AToW and what can be expected from it.

Not about Mechwarrior:Destiny or any comparisons to other RPG lines (CGL or not).

In other words STAY ON TOPIC.

This is the second time we're unlocking this thread after pruning it and issuing warnings.  The second time one of us is leaving a message reminding people to stay on topic.  I'm very disappointed that we're at this point in what should be a thread celebrating a release of a portion of the BattleTech line that doesn't see as many.  The phrase "this is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind.

MechWarrior: Destiny is not a topic for this thread, whatever your opinion of the game.  Shadowrun, D&D, chess, none of them are topics for this thread either.  (That list was not chosen at random.)  We have a board for MechWarrior: Destiny, the others go in the Off-Topic board.  You are welcome to discuss those topics in the appropriate venues, this thread is not one of them.

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 14 July 2022, 18:38:52 »
Obviously the retro cover still has to be fully printed and shipped, but I'm curious as to what the Mercs cover will look like down the line.

I know I'm skipping ahead a bit, but color me intrigued, now that I think of it.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 14 July 2022, 19:39:06 »
Mercs cover?  Is that going to be part of AToW somehow? ???

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 14 July 2022, 20:04:38 »
Mercs cover?  Is that going to be part of AToW somehow? ???
All the core rulebooks that got retro cover reprints have been getting new, original "Mercenary" covers. See TM, SO, CO, and the upcoming TOs. Sometime down the line, I reckon AToW will get its own mercs cover reprint.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 14 July 2022, 20:32:03 »
Cool!  :thumbsup:

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2022, 23:36:11 »
TO: Advanced Units and Equipment is getting an absolutely metal as ****** reprise of the TacOps cover so imagine your favorite RP-level art redone in the new art paradigm and smile.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #21 on: 22 July 2022, 09:24:43 »
I just wanted to say that that cover is an excellent choice for an RPG. I mean, ideally not all of the PCs will be Successor Lords, but it triangulates the happy-spot between BattleMechs, bastards, and booms.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 22 July 2022, 13:18:07 »
I like the cover. The Mech is giving me questions but I like the cover.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #23 on: 22 July 2022, 14:03:02 »
Lotta 3025-era BLRs left their Donals at home. See also BattleTroops cover.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 22 July 2022, 16:29:17 »
Hand held also means hand droppable...  ^-^

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 23 July 2022, 08:51:31 »
Obviously the retro cover still has to be fully printed and shipped, but I'm curious as to what the Mercs cover will look like down the line.

I know I'm skipping ahead a bit, but color me intrigued, now that I think of it.
Frankly, I am FAR more interested in that.  I am about to step ALL OVER everyone's lawns because I always thought the newer art was better than the vintage ones. :P

At any rate it's awesome to see AToW getting a reprint, and here's to that next one too.  I am curious how the Companion is doing.
Now if only I could get a game going.  I would say I miss the extensive roleplay section for play-by-post, but we didn't really ever get those games going either did we?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 23 July 2022, 09:14:51 »
Not for lack of trying... my observation is that BT players seem to have a lot more RL stuff going on than D&D play-by-post folks.  I say that with a foot in each camp.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2022, 06:48:26 »
Oh my! I really hope this version is cleaned up also in terms of organization.
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #28 on: 10 August 2022, 14:49:43 »
Thats one to bring to the ask writers/developer thread. Last time they mentioned anything its usually errants and new cover. Hope your wish is granted.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kles

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 10 August 2022, 17:41:47 »

It’s pretty much exactly the same as before other than the errata which was released earlier this year. I haven’t had a chance to take much of a closer look. (Was too busy other than quick flip through as at Gen Con and been busy with other things since then this week)