Author Topic: AToW Character Creation Generators  (Read 3147 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
AToW Character Creation Generators
« on: 31 October 2022, 07:07:15 »
Thanks to Daryk, ShroudedSciuridae, and Gigo, we have a couple of great tools to help us create characters for AToW, and these tools have been updated for the third printing. To make them easy to find, I'm putting a link to Daryk's Excel spreadsheet here, and I'm quoting ShroudedSciuridae's information about Gigo's character creator.

Daryk's Excel spreadsheet, v4-7:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/roleplaying/atow-character-generation-spreadsheet-redux/

Gigo's Character Creator that has been updated by ShroudedSciuridae. Here is a quote from Shrouded Sciuridae:
Good news is I heard from Gigo and as long as he's credited he's fine with additional releases.  So without further ado, here is the ALPHA  version 8 of the Character Creator. The actual character creation should be solid and accurate. If things get wonky make sure a Life Path isn't showing as blank as there's still data there even without a visible label! It has to show "Choose XXXX" to be truly unselected, and might require scrolling up in the drop down box.

What makes it an alpha version? I'm working on the backend of the equipment (vehicles included) information to incorporate all the additions in the ATOW Companion, Handbooks Kurita & Liao, Shrapnel, and TRO: Irregulars.  Because I'm mucking with data tables, the actual equipment selection is breaking CONSTANTLY, but I'm slowly learning how it's breaking and how to fix it. If there are other canon sources for ATOW equipment stats let me know so I can include them.

Additional expansion plans would allow for alternate era tracks to be selected based on the year of play (see my list here https://bg.battletech.com/forums/roleplaying/list-of-additional-atow-module-modifications/msg1878078/#msg1878078 again if I missed some let me know), generate a character specific action cheat sheet,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-W74HePGc127Ql1kYjQYmrY-jvlncMuo/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=114899074253629812901&rtpof=true&sd=true

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: AToW Character Creation Generators
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2022, 17:39:21 »
Thanks BiggRigg42!  :thumbsup:

For the wider audience, the main difference comes down to your preference for typing and copy/pasting (mine) or scrolling through drop down lists (Gigo's updated by ShroudedSciuridae).

Some day, we'll get to the Solaris Skunk Werks Java nirvana, but we're not there yet...  8)

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2022, 16:51:31 »
Edit:  The sheet is now working once correctly.  I've updated the link in this post for an example pregen.  Equipment is vastly out of proportion from what Equipped/Wealth would allow for, but this is mostly to show off many of the options.

Melee and Pistols/SMGs are all working now.  Rifles/Shotguns/Support/Launchers sheet are seriously broken so they're hidden now but will hopefully be done by week's end at which point everything is usable again.  Just as an example of how this sheet works I mocked up a quick character in the most recent update.

New Avalon street rat who enlisted instead of going to jail, and got sucked right back into the life when he came home. He's a much more kitted out than his Wealth/Equipped would indicate, call it a gift from the Don, but other than that he's completely legal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l5QAlkeudsVOAxcUivavdwGl7JG4sKiF/edit?usp=share_link&ouid=114899074253629812901&rtpof=true&sd=true
« Last Edit: 07 November 2022, 22:54:52 by ShroudedSciuridae »
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2022, 18:12:18 »
Right!  I'll hold off on downloading a new copy until then... :)

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2022, 19:27:54 »
Version 8 is done and ready for release.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZOGuRR8Ls4Hu4ODaYbMmXdk87wfXug7/edit?usp=share_link&ouid=114899074253629812901&rtpof=true&sd=true

Enjoy!  Remember you'll likely need to download it to get it to work correctly, there's just a lot of formulas crunching in the background. Busily working on Version 9, but with far less priority now.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2022, 22:55:25 by ShroudedSciuridae »
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2022, 19:29:13 »
I can wait for v9 if it's not all that long...  8)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2022, 15:34:47 »
ShroudedSciuridae's Google sheet appears to have been deleted. Does anyone know why? Will it be coming back up?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2022, 15:37:02 »
Yikes!  No idea, unfortunately...  :-\

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2023, 01:18:32 »
Version 8 is done and ready for release.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZOGuRR8Ls4Hu4ODaYbMmXdk87wfXug7/edit?usp=share_link&ouid=114899074253629812901&rtpof=true&sd=true

Enjoy!  Remember you'll likely need to download it to get it to work correctly, there's just a lot of formulas crunching in the background. Busily working on Version 9, but with far less priority now.

I noticed there was a formatting issue.

If the Custom section on the Small Ranged Weapon page is blank, there is an extra comma on the Character Sheet under Small Arms.

I think the best way to fix it, using the 1st small arms as an example, is to remove that last comma in C250 on the Character Sheet, and then on the Small Ranged Weapon page, change EN43 to
Code: [Select]
=IF(CW41="","",", "&UPPER(CW41))
And then make the appropriate change to the rest of weapons.

I am not too fond of how it repeats "Standard Barrel" and "No Accessories". Here is what I came up with. This will need the modification from above. What do you think of this?

Code: [Select]
='Small Ranged Weapons'!EO25&", "&IF('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO28="STANDARD BARREL","",'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO28&", ")&'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO31&", "&'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO34&IF(AND('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37="NO ACCESSORIES",'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40="NO ACCESSORIES"),"",", "&IF(AND(NOT('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37="NO ACCESSORIES"),'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40="NO ACCESSORIES"),'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37,IF(AND('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37="NO ACCESSORIES",NOT('Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40="NO ACCESSORIES")),'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40,'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO37&", "&'Small Ranged Weapons'!EO40)))&'Small Ranged Weapons'!EN43
Granted, it no longer will show "NO ACCESSORIES" if none is picked, but to me that is redundant information. It now only lists what you have. This also treats what is listed in the "Corner Shot" as an accessory, If you don't have it, nothing about it shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an better way to do this.

(I posted this to another's character creator, getting them mixed up)
« Last Edit: 03 February 2023, 01:20:52 by SANSd20 »
Mecr KS back #244