Author Topic: Paranoia + Battletech: a time of War= big fun?  (Read 1431 times)

CanvasBack

• Private
Paranoia + Battletech: a time of War= big fun?
« on: 22 January 2023, 21:13:10 »
I wanted to float this idea and see if there was any traction for it. I knoW Paranoia is it's own RPG but I thought since the clans use clone vats to reproduce their pops/personnel perhaps it would be interesting to cross the streams in some manner. I'm not committed to either rule sets mechanics so this is more about setting and themes. Imagine the PCs are part of a clone crèche and are tasked by the computer to become trouble shooters. After applying their skills and investigative techniques to the problems put in front of them by the Computer, the PCs discover the Society plot as embodied by several High Programmers and must choose to either unmask the culprits anD bask in the glory and screen light of the Computer or join the "conspiracy" and implement the revolution in clan society.
When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him.”
— R. A. Lafferty

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Paranoia + Battletech: a time of War= big fun?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2023, 04:15:33 »
I'd stick with Paranoia if you're going for the clone army angle.

CanvasBack

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2023, 19:38:40 »
Ok, I guess it seemed cooler rolling around in my head.  :thumbsup:
When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him.”
— R. A. Lafferty

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2023, 20:23:48 »
Keep the ideas coming!  Brainstorming isn't supposed to produce 100% winners!  :D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2023, 20:34:57 »
I think it could work just fine, actually.

Instead of clones, of course, you simply have other sibkin from the same geneparents. And BT has had AI that's both advanced enough to fake intelligence and kooky enough to give contradictory and chaotic orders, which should theoretically be within reach for the Clan scientist caste. (I based the "Broken" AI in Necromo Nightmare on GLaDOS from Portal, after all.)

The question is really one of tone, I think. AToW can be a lethal system in personal combat, especially when Mechs and people meet, and the setting tone is usually a bit on the gritty side. Paranoia, on the other hand, take a more lighthearted approach to police societies, PC death(s), and such.

I could almost see making it in the style of my Halloween Adventures, had I not already dipped a toe in the rampant AI thing in Necromo Nightmare. (Sure, it was a zombie-themed story, but what is a loony AI with an army of drones if not a computerized master-zombie?)

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2023, 20:39:07 »
A von Neumann nightmare? ???

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2023, 20:41:46 »
A von Neumann nightmare? ???

The Broken didn't have the means to build its drones, alas!

Now, the Syberians. THAT is a von Neumann outcome, really.

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2023, 20:44:04 »
My thought was that zombie apocalypses were von Neumann nightmares...  8)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2023, 20:50:56 »
Comstar is your friend?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2023, 20:53:39 »
Only if you ask them...  8)

CanvasBack

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2023, 20:59:52 »

The question is really one of tone, I think. AToW can be a lethal system in personal combat, especially when Mechs and people meet, and the setting tone is usually a bit on the gritty side. Paranoia, on the other hand, take a more lighthearted approach to police societies, PC death(s), and such.

Well when Paranoia XP was still a thing they had three different tones and I found myself drawn to the more Orwellian "straight" format rather than the cartoonish Zap! Style of play that I think most people associated with the system.
Ah well.
— R. A. Lafferty

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2023, 21:04:20 »
Well when Paranoia XP was still a thing they had three different tones and I found myself drawn to the more Orwellian "straight" format rather than the cartoonish Zap! Style of play that I think most people associated with the system.
Ah well.

Then that should work fine in your premise with either game system. I say go for it.

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2023, 21:05:25 »
Not going to argue with Herb on that!  8)

CanvasBack

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2023, 21:25:07 »
Then that should work fine in your premise with either game system. I say go for it.

- Herb

Well there would be the small matter of finding folks in my area to try that out.
— R. A. Lafferty

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2023, 23:29:29 »
Well there would be the small matter of finding folks in my area to try that out.

Ah, scheduling group gaming times... The bane of ALL tabletop RPGs...

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2023, 04:08:38 »
Indeed... it's hard online too...  :-\