Author Topic: Three biggest OMG moments from reading latest edition of TW errata  (Read 8344 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Three biggest OMG moments from reading latest edition of TW errata
« Reply #30 on: 29 September 2013, 06:48:51 »
On the C3 issue, way back when the rules strongly implied that a company leader needed two Master, that's not the case anymore, things change, hopefully for the better

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 29 September 2013, 09:22:51 »
That's been there for a long time.  Going prone is one of the easiest ways to get full cover from a level 1 hill.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #32 on: 29 September 2013, 09:28:31 »
On the C3 issue, way back when the rules strongly implied that a company leader needed two Master, that's not the case anymore, things change, hopefully for the better

Still one way, though. C3, I think, is one of the most adjusted/modified rules since its inception
out there.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #33 on: 30 September 2013, 10:57:02 »
Wow, C3 just got even more expensive/useless unless there is some MAJOR change to the BV calculations.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #34 on: 30 September 2013, 11:04:12 »
The biggest change is that Angel ECM no longer stops streaks from doing their all or nothing thing while stealth armor is active. I'm still scratching my head why ECM range wasn't cut down to 1 (or 0) hex instead of this clunky change.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 30 September 2013, 11:11:29 »
The biggest change is that Angel ECM no longer stops streaks from doing their all or nothing thing while stealth armor is active. I'm still scratching my head why ECM range wasn't cut down to 1 (or 0) hex instead of this clunky change.

Presumably because since Stealth Armor REQUIRES ECM, the ECM must be doing something to aid stealth. And if the ECM is doing Stealth things, it can't do regular ECM duties at the same time.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #36 on: 30 September 2013, 11:18:26 »
Presumably because since Stealth Armor REQUIRES ECM, the ECM must be doing something to aid stealth. And if the ECM is doing Stealth things, it can't do regular ECM duties at the same time.

You are correct, sir!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 30 September 2013, 11:22:38 »
  • VTOL's are no longer immune to destruction due to loss of all rotor IS points.  Errata page 6.

This wouldn't bother me so much if vehicles didn't live through TURRET destruction!
At least with Rotors it made some sense,  blow it off, it falls down,  if it manages to survive then its salvageable.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #38 on: 30 September 2013, 11:26:59 »
You have to roll for each bomb you drop when dive-bombing. That should help nerf the effects of dive bombing a bit.
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 30 September 2013, 13:49:05 »
This wouldn't bother me so much if vehicles didn't live through TURRET destruction!

They don't.

p. 121:
"vehicles: Hits against vehicles follow the same general procedure
as hits against ’Mechs, though vehicles cannot survive
the destruction of a location and damage does not transfer."

The turret is a location. Also note the text for the critical hit version, p.195:

"turret Blown off : The Combat Vehicle’s turret gets blown
off , eff ectively destroying the vehicle."

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 30 September 2013, 18:02:54 »
Basically the change to VTOL rotors makes them even with other vehicles, it also makes them more survivable on campaigns

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #41 on: 30 September 2013, 18:06:12 »
Basically the change to VTOL rotors makes them even with other vehicles, it also makes them more survivable on campaigns

That depends on the campaign rules.  In our campaign it would make them less survivable as vehicle destruction of this type was not salvageable. 

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 30 September 2013, 18:06:23 »
They don't.

p. 121:
"vehicles: Hits against vehicles follow the same general procedure
as hits against ’Mechs, though vehicles cannot survive
the destruction of a location and damage does not transfer."

The turret is a location. Also note the text for the critical hit version, p.195:

"turret Blown off : The Combat Vehicle’s turret gets blown
off , eff ectively destroying the vehicle."

Paul

Hmm, Maybe its "Truly Destroyed" that turrets don't accomplish then, but I swore there was something about it that bothered me.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 30 September 2013, 18:08:41 »
Hmm, Maybe its "Truly Destroyed" that turrets don't accomplish then, but I swore there was something about it that bothered me.

It may have different implications for salvage, but as far as gameplay's concerned, they're done.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 30 September 2013, 18:27:03 »
That depends on the campaign rules.  In our campaign it would make them less survivable as vehicle destruction of this type was not salvageable.
I'm talking by the book rules, StratOps specifically says that units that have lost Turrets or Rotors can be returned to service, if you're using something else that's fine but be aware that it is a house rule and should be excluded from discussions like this.

Correct, do people want me to quote the section of the rules? It's on StratOps, page 175

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #45 on: 30 September 2013, 18:40:32 »
I'm talking by the book rules, StratOps specifically says that units that have lost Turrets or Rotors can be returned to service, if you're using something else that's fine but be aware that it is a house rule and should be excluded from discussions like this.
Correct, do people want me to quote the section of the rules? It's on StratOps, page 175

No need to be snippy.  Quite frankly I was not aware that was a house rule.  I stand corrected. 

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 30 September 2013, 18:42:46 »
I don't think malicious intent was intended, we all goof on the rules sometimes. Heck, I've got some real shiny examples on the official rules forum.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 30 September 2013, 18:45:13 »
It wasn't a house rule.

For Vehicles:  Destroyed = Truly Destroyed in all cases but Rotor/Turret, you blow through any other section and the tank is so much scrap.

I think what SCC is saying is now a Vtol is "removed from the board" instead of being there able be fired at till it is "Truly Destroyed".  So while the unit is out for the game now, its not unrepairable.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 30 September 2013, 19:03:47 »
I think what SCC is saying is now a Vtol is "removed from the board" instead of being there able be fired at till it is "Truly Destroyed".  So while the unit is out for the game now, its not unrepairable.
Yes, that's my understanding of how the rules work now and when that errata was first released I did raise the concern

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #49 on: 01 October 2013, 03:58:40 »

IIRC a vehicle could survive turret destruction prior to Total Warfare.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #50 on: 02 October 2013, 02:47:02 »
Maybe as an advanced rule . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 02 October 2013, 02:54:50 »
I don't have a copy of BMRr, but the copy of compendium I have doesn't allow them to survive turret destruction

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #52 on: 02 October 2013, 10:26:41 »
I don't have a copy of BMRr, but the copy of compendium I have doesn't allow them to survive turret destruction

Compendium and BMR have basically the same text on this rule.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #53 on: 02 October 2013, 11:09:44 »
IIRC a vehicle could survive turret destruction prior to Total Warfare.

To my knowledge, they've never been allowed to do so....

Wrayth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 02 October 2013, 11:25:34 »
I'll miss abusing this  :'(

Same here.  This makes me glad that I played on the WoBbie side and not my normal Lyran in the last game.  It gave me a final chance to abuse the spotter's lack of need for line of sight.  (Hi, Marauder, meet my KGC-005's twin LB-20X slugs and streaks!  Too bad you can't use your pulse lasers to slag that Preta 4 hexes away from you since he's got full cover from the level 2 hill...)
"If brute force isn't working, you obviously aren't using enough of it."

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #55 on: 02 October 2013, 13:55:36 »
To my knowledge, they've never been allowed to do so....

I could be mistaken, but my BattleTech rulebooks are all the way across the room.  It is entirely possible that this is one of those "hatchets hit on the punch table" misconceptions.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #56 on: 02 October 2013, 14:33:15 »
I could be mistaken, but my BattleTech rulebooks are all the way across the room.  It is entirely possible that this is one of those "hatchets hit on the punch table" misconceptions.

Probably.  At big public demo games, there tends to be at least one player who thinks that is the rule, just like hatchets on the punch table.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 02 October 2013, 19:04:38 »
I think you may be talking past each other.  It looks to me like the original comment about surviving turret loss was for salvage, not gameplay.  That would mean that the loss of the turret takes the vehicle out of play so it is "destroyed" on the playing field, but it is intact enough to be salvaged so it is not "destroyed" in a larger campaign.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #58 on: 03 October 2013, 02:56:40 »
No, I was actually under the impression that vehicles could survive turret destruction in games prior to Total Warfare.  We were agreeing with one another!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 03 October 2013, 05:40:41 »
They can, at the campaign level.

The weird thing is I don't know if you HAVE to repair it before it can be sent into the field again, which COULD be useful with Omni tanks

That said, I believe that TacOps made tanks mounting sponsons more survivable, I've got an older editor that requires sponsons to be armored like turrets

Register