Author Topic: Loki and Thor vs. ?  (Read 5574 times)

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
Loki and Thor vs. ?
« on: 25 February 2011, 15:35:15 »
I am getting the new box set ASAP.  Last nerd game night my friend mentioned he wanted to play Battletech again.

So on two stardard map sheets what level one mechs should face the Clanners?  I have the 3rd edition as well except the Marauder looks like crap and my Warhammer is missing an arm.

I'll proably be the GM and have both sides with 4/5 pilots.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 15:37:30 by Spheroid »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Loki and Thor vs. ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2011, 15:51:30 »
One of the first-ever IS encounters with the Clans involved Victor in his, well, Victor and Galen in a Crusader (IIRc) facing a Loki and a Thor.  It could be fun to replay that encounter.  In fact, again IIRC Victor and Galen gave the Clan mechs their IS codenames based on that encounter.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2011, 16:40:07 »
Actually, I thought it was just a Thor/Summoner that they ambushed and then they both fell back as the rest of the Star came up...of course, it has been awhile since I read the book.

Also, which configurations will you be using for the Thor/Summoner and the Loki/Hellbringer? That alone could change how the clan mechs fight and react.
Made by HikageMaru

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2011, 15:56:13 »
Victor and Galen were in an underground tunnel if I recall and that was good because Victor had his monster autocannon to use.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2011, 23:46:06 »
To answer your question, 3025 IS tech will probably need 2 to 1 numbers to face down the Clan mechs.  I'm not sure what will be in the new box set, so the exact designs to use are up in the air.  But there aren't any IS mechs that will be able to stand up to the Clanners one on one.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2011, 13:11:25 »
Considering one of the clanners will be a Loki. I wouldn't give the IS too much punching power.

You could do a nice chase with some heavys having to get away from the clanner.
Or  a skirmish againist  2 light/Medium lances.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2011, 06:10:15 »
using the Base box set.
You can get an enjoyable game that's fairly BV balanced
Using a 2/4 Loki A and Summoner D
Vs
A 4/5
Grasshopper
Catapult
Quickdraw
Dragon 

Two maps will provide plenty of range for the Clanners and cover for the Innersphere lads.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2011, 14:24:43 »
Don't pad the IS too much.  On such a small map, the clanner's won't be able to use their movement to hide their low armor, so they will take hits.  What veriants will the Omnis be in?  Or will that be up to the player?
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

BPRoberts

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2011, 10:36:26 »
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clanbuster

The mechs listed there are all variants, but the standard 3025 versions will still put up a decent fight. As a lot of people pointed out, the Loki is far from the peak of Clan engineering. The Thor is better, but still not on par with a Madcat for example.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2011, 02:25:21 »
I'd probably just use BV2 to balance the match. It generally gives a bit of an edge to the IS player in built-up terrain, however.

jc.knight

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2011, 03:52:55 »
Actually, I thought it was just a Thor/Summoner that they ambushed and then they both fell back as the rest of the Star came up...of course, it has been awhile since I read the book.

Also, which configurations will you be using for the Thor/Summoner and the Loki/Hellbringer? That alone could change how the clan mechs fight and react.
Right out of 3050 fluff
Earning the codename Loki by Galen Cox, an AFFC officer who declared each of the Hellbringer's various versions as an "utterly mad configuration"
The Summoner earned the code name Thor for its powerful, yet simple arsenal.  (by VSD)

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2011, 20:45:07 »
The Summoner earned the code name Thor for its powerful, yet simple arsenal.  (by VSD)

And the "thunder and lightning" combo of autocannon and Clan ERPPC.   ;)
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2011, 21:42:50 »
The models are the primes right?  I think those should be pretty fun especially if the Thor is jumping around drawing fire away from the Loki.

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2011, 00:12:53 »
Broke in the new box set tonight and the victor was Clanner.

Loki Prime and Thor Prime vs. Zeus, Vindicator, Hermes II and Jenner.

It was good fun but I didn't have any BV values for a truly balanced game.  The Loki got into some heavy woods and did well on the opposite shore of the lake map.

The Thor missed most of its shots but we ended the game after it made a successful D.F.A. on the Hermes.

Register