Author Topic: What if the Inner Sphere made Heavy Lasers  (Read 15420 times)

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
What if the Inner Sphere made Heavy Lasers
« on: 21 March 2011, 06:53:44 »
What if the Inner Sphere made Heavy Lasers, what stats would you give them ?

this is predominantly for an AU setting in 3025.  working on the axiom that more is better, someone in the IS ( or several someones ) develop the Heavy Laser class during the 3rd SW.  What stats would you give them to keep the game balanced ?

I was thinking Heat, Damage and Crits as per the clan versions.  Weight and range as per the IS pulse lasers of the same size.

i.e.  Heavy Large Laser, 7t, 3 crit.  16 damage, 18 heat, range 0-3, 4-7, 8-10

originally I was thinking same ranges as the clan Heavy lasers....but

Heavy Large Laser, 7t, 3 crit.  16 damage, 18 heat, range 0-5, 6-10, 11-15 seemed a bit too powerful for me. 

sure same heat as a PPC + Large laser combined with only single heat sinks.  But in a package the same size/weight as a regular PPC, doing almost the same damage as a PPC + large laser to a single location and out to large laser range.  Swap an AC/20 + ammo for one of these + heatsinks and no ammo explosions.

Heavy Medium Laser, 2t, 2 crit.  10 damage, 7 heat to 9 hexes.  straight forward swap, 1 for every 2 MLs on your design.  Hunchback 4 P anyone ?

thoughts, opinions ?  what if in 3060+ ?

Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
Re: What if the Inner Sphere made Heavy Lasers
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2011, 07:06:02 »
Why not just allow the Binary Laser Cannon?

The heat generated by these weapons is going to be murder with only SHS to deal with the heat.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2011, 07:12:17 »
IS tech shouldn't be as good as Clan tech.  I'd go with range as per ISPLs, damage as per Clan ERs, heat as per ERs. 

IS HLL  Range 3/7/10, Damage 10, Heat 12
IS HML Range 2/4/6, Damage 7, Heat 5
IS HSL Range 1/2/3, Damage 5, Heat 2

Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Wanderer

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2011, 07:13:29 »

The heat generated by these weapons is going to be murder with only SHS to deal with the heat.

This. The Binary pretty much IS a 3025-era heavy laser, although with no accuracy problems.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2011, 07:17:30 »

That is a valid option and I plan on checking it's stats against the Heavy Large Laser but the main idea is to have all three sizes of laser, small, medium and large, with medium probally ending up being the most popular.

thats part of the idea.  and why mediums will become the most likely and numerous used of any of them.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2011, 09:19:06 »

Is it just me, or does this one COMPLETELY obsolete the regular Small Laser?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2011, 10:48:17 »
It would be ok, but the ranges and most of the IS mechs us standard heat sinks that would cause a problem.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wanderer

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2011, 11:28:35 »

thats part of the idea.  and why mediums will become the most likely and numerous used of any of them.

With the poor accuracy and inefficient damage: heat ratios, you're better off firing a standard large laser in most cases. A 5 heat, 7 damage weapon with cruddy range and a +1 targeting modifier? Ew.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2011, 11:31:55 »

No, you still need the SL for balancing TSM 'Mechs' heat levels.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2011, 11:54:00 »

Generally.  The +1 to hit may not be enough to balance it.

The problem with giving the IS heavy lasers back in 3025 is that 1) you're limiting the value of regular lasers, and 2) you may be giving them weapons more effective than they'll get in 3050.  Whether that is a problem or not depends on what exactly you are looking for in your game.

I'd have to tinker with it for a while to be happy with it.  In the end, a heavy medium should not be as good as a large laser, not even close.  You're basically cramming as much damage as possible in, regardless of any other factors.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2011, 13:19:15 »
If you want to go this route I'd baseline off of the Blazer and extrapolate numbers from there:

The standard Blazer is renamed to the Large Blazer. Yes, I can do that. See the example of the Autocannon from early runs of 2nd Ed Boxed Set and BattleDroids.

Medium Blazer: Heat 6, Damage 7 (we round everything up throughout this experiment, except for damage), Range 0/3/6/9, Cost 80k, 2 tons, 2 crits.
Small Blazer: Heat 2, Damage 4, Range 0/1/2/3, Cost 22.5k, 1 ton, 2 crits.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2011, 13:27:40 »

Not sure of the benefits of this one vs. standard medium lasers and pairs of smalls.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2011, 13:54:03 »
Not sure of the benefits of this one vs. standard medium lasers and pairs of smalls.

Weapon slot limitations on AeroSpace fighters.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

massey

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2011, 14:49:18 »

Ruger

Sadly, you're gonna get that a lot at the lower end.  The problem is that you're dealing with weapons that have single integer ranges, and weigh the smallest increment in weight.  An increase to the next weight increment sees a HUUUGE boost in range and effectiveness.  I never saw the point of the IS small pulse laser.  It's worse than the medium laser in almost every way (one less heat) at every range except range 1.

So any new weapon in that area is going to either completely outclass the small laser or be humbled by the medium laser.  Perhaps a .5 ton heavy small with medium laser heat and damage, and 1/2/3 range with a +1 to hit?  I still thinks that outclasses the regular small laser quite a bit, though.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2011, 14:59:09 »
Generally.  The +1 to hit may not be enough to balance it.

thats why I went with IS pulse laser range, otherwise far too powerful.

The problem with giving the IS heavy lasers back in 3025 is that 1) you're limiting the value of regular lasers, and 2) you may be giving them weapons more effective than they'll get in 3050.  Whether that is a problem or not depends on what exactly you are looking for in your game.

the idea is that the heavy lasers have a higher damage potential than the standard lasers but at a cost of much higher heat with only single heat sinks.  Thats the balancing act.  I don't expect to see them used on every design, maybe more of an individual thing based on pilot's ( character's ) preference for getting in close and personnal.  Maybe originated on Solaris VII as a final, in-your-face, surprise kill shot type of weapon.

I'd have to tinker with it for a while to be happy with it.  In the end, a heavy medium should not be as good as a large laser, not even close. 

very valid point, I'll re-examine.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2011, 15:01:38 »
If you want to go this route I'd baseline off of the Blazer and extrapolate numbers from there:

The standard Blazer is renamed to the Large Blazer. Yes, I can do that. See the example of the Autocannon from early runs of 2nd Ed Boxed Set and BattleDroids.

Medium Blazer: Heat 6, Damage 7 (we round everything up throughout this experiment, except for damage), Range 0/3/6/9, Cost 80k, 2 tons, 2 crits.

I like this idea alot.  I have to admit that I had forgotten about the Blazer canon when I first had the concept.  Will have to brush up on the Blazer's stats and details.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2011, 15:10:10 »
I never saw the point of the IS small pulse laser.  It's worse than the medium laser in almost every way (one less heat) at every range except range 1.

It's primary benefit comes from its anti-infantry abilities...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2011, 17:15:56 »
Personally, I came up with the following stats a few months ago:
Follows the same rules for the clan variants otherwise.
ER-X lasers are an attempt to increase the range even further by combining ER laser technology with X-Pulse technology.
Code: [Select]
Name                    Heat    Damage    Short    Medium    Long    Tons    Crits
Heavy Small              2          4            1             2          -        0,5        1
ER Heavy Small         3          4            1             2          3         1          1
ER-X Heavy Small      4          4            2             4          5         1          1
Heavy Medium           5          8            2             4          6         1          2
ER Heavy Medium      8          8            3             6          9         1          2
ER-X Heavy Medium   10        8            4             8          12       1          2
Haden't gotten around to doing the large, binary, and bombast versions yet, or the pulse versions.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2011, 18:01:32 »
Good point, maybe range brackets of 0/1/2 instead.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2011, 19:08:58 »
IS tech shouldn't be as good as Clan tech.  I'd go with range as per ISPLs, damage as per Clan ERs, heat as per ERs. 

IS HLL  Range 3/7/10, Damage 10, Heat 12
IS HML Range 2/4/6, Damage 7, Heat 5

Hmmn. That doesn't really follow the standard I think set down by say ERs.

Give them Clan HL heat but with less range and less damage.

What are clan HLs?
HLL? 18h 16d 5/10/15

So Inner sphere would be like:
18h 12d 4/8/12

Similarily
IS HML: 6h 7d 2/4/6
IS HSL: 2h 4d -/1/2?

Along with the +1 to hit of course

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 23 March 2011, 19:22:43 »
So Inner sphere would be like:
18h 12d 4/8/12

Then the binary laser outperforms it quite a bit at 16h, 12 d, 5/10/15.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 24 March 2011, 07:26:49 »

I've been going over different sets of numbers based on responses and using the Large Binary Laser seems to give the best, in terms of bang for your buck, results via damage and range for weight and crit investment.  But the inherrent thing about Heavy Lasers ( to me anyway ) from reading their description is more damage for less range and accuracy  Also the Binary Laser systems gives you two barrels, ala the unseen Battlemaster's PPC, as oposed to one via the Heavy Laser route.  I realise no difference in pure gaming terms but visulising and moding miniatures is a different thing.  Also a different design concept.  Two in to One vs One biggger laser.

still a work in progress.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 24 March 2011, 18:12:59 »

What weight and tonnage is the binary laser? The main benefit of heavy lasers in my opinion is getting that amount of damage from that amount of tonnage. a ML, a 1 ton weapon does 10 damage.

If the binary laser is like 7-8 tons then a 5 ton IS heavy large laser will have its own uses.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 24 March 2011, 19:59:47 »
All lasers follow a pretty much set pattern, actually.
So you can follow that already-existant pattern for new weapons.
Lets look at the clan ER medium Laser (since they lack a normal one), and the heavy medium laser:
ERML: 5h, 7d, 1 crit.
HML: 7h, 10d, 2 crits.
With a difference of about 40% in both cases, and double the bulk.

Assuming that the IS would use the standard ML as the basis for their heavy laser, we'd be looking at:
ML: 3h, 5d, 1 crit.
+40%
HML: 4h, 7d, 2 crits.
Still 1 ton, and the range would be reduced to that of a medium pulse laser, balanced enough, or?

Applying the same to the LL:
LL: 8h, 8d, 2 crits. +40%
HLL: 11h, 11d, 4 crits. (I know, the CHLL triples the crits, but who's going to spend 6 crits on this?)
And the SL:
SL: 1h, 3d, 1 crit. +40%
HSL: 2h, 4d, 1 crit.

ER lasers? +50% heat for increased range (usually rounding up). X-Pulse? Varies between +40% heat (Large X-Pulse), and +50% heat (small/medium x-pulse).
If the binary laser is like 7-8 tons then a 5 ton IS heavy large laser will have its own uses.
Its 9 tons... A bombast laser is superior in each and every way (7 tons, 7-12 damage/heat, same range), well, sort-of superior.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #24 on: 24 March 2011, 21:01:30 »
The HLL you posit does as much damage and heat for its basic shot as a Bombast laser suffering a +4 to-hit penalty.

Not seeing the superiority there.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2011, 00:07:01 »
All lasers follow a pretty much set pattern, actually.
So you can follow that already-existant pattern for new weapons.
Lets look at the clan ER medium Laser (since they lack a normal one), and the heavy medium laser:

Eh, you're right about the pattern, wrong about the example. The clans DO have a normal medium laser, they just don't use it except on Star League or second line designs.

The Heavy Laser's set patten compared to regular lasers are thus:
Same tonnage
Double the damage
Increased Crits
At least 225% of the original heat

Now what do we know about comparing Inner Sphere tech to Clan Tech? (ie ER lasers, PPCs, etcetera)
IS cause the same heat
They weigh the same or more
They take up more crits
They do less damage.
Range is either the same, or less.

ER MLs do the same heat both times.

So with that in mind, howabout this:
HSL - .5 tons - 1 crit - 3 Heat - 5 Damage - 1/2/3 Range
HML - 1 tons - 2 crits - 7 Heat - 8 Damage - 3/6/9 Range
HLL - 5 tons - 4 crits - 18 heat - 14 Damage - 5/10/15 Range

Or maybe .5/1.5/6 tons
But basically, it doesn't weigh that much but you end up paying with heat.

Compare the heavy to the Binary
9 Tons / 4 Crits / 12 heat

So the HLL would be 4 less tons, but 6 more heat with a +1 to hit and 2 less damage. Actually in that case I think the Binary would be superior myself unless you've got more heat sinks than tonnage.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2011, 06:11:05 »
The HLL you posit does as much damage and heat for its basic shot as a Bombast laser suffering a +4 to-hit penalty.

Not seeing the superiority there.
I was comparing to the Binary Laser Cannon, not the HLL. ::)
Eh, you're right about the pattern, wrong about the example. The clans DO have a normal medium laser, they just don't use it except on Star League or second line designs.
The clans don't even produce those anymore for about 200 years.
Just the fact that they stlll have them on antique 'Mechs doesn't mean they base their new weapons off it.
And I think that the text says they were based on clan ER lasers, with a big range reduction.
So the HLL would be 4 less tons, but 6 more heat with a +1 to hit and 2 less damage. Actually in that case I think the Binary would be superior myself unless you've got more heat sinks than tonnage.
Binary is 16 heat...
« Last Edit: 26 March 2011, 06:22:13 by Onisuzume »

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2011, 11:56:51 »
Binary is 16 heat...

Isn't the Binary 16 damage and 12 heat? Or was I reading the table wrong??

massey

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 25 March 2011, 12:21:45 »
Isn't the Binary 16 damage and 12 heat? Or was I reading the table wrong??

It's been errata'd.  Apparently they printed the numbers backwards.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 25 March 2011, 16:40:04 »
It's been errata'd.  Apparently they printed the numbers backwards.

it was really popular until the errata.    }:)