Author Topic: Vehicle Engines question  (Read 2923 times)

evilauthor

• Captain
Vehicle Engines question
« on: 05 April 2011, 12:13:06 »
Okay, so I was going over the construction rules in TechManual when I noticed something... odd. Combat Vehicles can't use Fuel Cell or Fission Engines, but Industrial Mechs can. Is there any in-universe reason for this? I mean we're experimenting with fuel cell powered vehicles NOW. Why wouldn't the Inner Sphere use fuel cell engines as a lighter alternative to ICEs?

rlbell

• Lieutenant
Re: Vehicle Engines question
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2011, 12:20:28 »
I think vehicle fuel cell and fission engines were added in TacOps.
Q: Why are children so cute?
A: So parents do not kill them.

That joke usually divides the room into two groups:  those that are mortally offended, and parents

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2011, 13:12:52 »
I think vehicle fuel cell and fission engines were added in TacOps.

OKay, but why can't combat vees use them?

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2011, 13:15:21 »
If you look further, you'll find that support vehicles can use fuel cell engines just fine straight out of the TechManual. It's just one of those historical oddities of the canon BT universe that they never really caught on for combat vehicle use -- though to be fair, every unit type that can use them seems to assign them the exact same Tech Rating as a full-featured fusion engine, and if I had the choice between a lighter and somewhat cheaper engine on the one hand and one that allows me to more easily mount energy weapons and basically waves good-bye to refueling worries and explosive tanks on the other, I could definitely kind of see the advantages of the latter.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2011, 13:29:21 »
If you look further, you'll find that support vehicles can use fuel cell engines just fine straight out of the TechManual. It's just one of those historical oddities of the canon BT universe that they never really caught on for combat vehicle use -- though to be fair, every unit type that can use them seems to assign them the exact same Tech Rating as a full-featured fusion engine, and if I had the choice between a lighter and somewhat cheaper engine on the one hand and one that allows me to more easily mount energy weapons and basically waves good-bye to refueling worries and explosive tanks on the other, I could definitely kind of see the advantages of the latter.

Ah, I found the reference.

Interesting note: Fuel Cells don't require additional shielding. Fusion engines DO. According to the tech manual, a Fuel Cell system weighs 1.2 times that of a standard fusion engine. But on a vehicle, fusion engines spend half again their weight on extra shielding, so on any vehicle that doesn't use energy weapons, a fuel cell system effectively weighs LESS than a fusion engine (1.2 vs 1.5).

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2011, 13:39:37 »
OKay, but why can't combat vees use them?

Combat vehicles can use fuel cell and fission engines under Tactical Operations rules.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2011, 14:18:02 »
Yes, fuel cell engines don't require additional shielding and so can easily be lighter than fusion ones. But that and the single free heat sink they get are already the only two advantages they enjoy over internal combustion engines...otherwise they work just the same, and for that you had to get to a tech level/rating that also allows you access to fusion power already.

So while a fuel cell-equipped combat vehicle as allowed by TacOps can potentially carry more armor and weapons than a fusion-powered one, at least as it doesn't try to mount much in the way of energy weapons...the fusion-powered one will present much less of a logistics headache due to needing much less fuel (for game purposes pretty much none at all) and being safer to operate, thus helping preserve trained crews (fuel tank crits may take out the engine, but won't blow up the whole thing -- add CASE to guard against ammo explosions and you're about as safe from crew death via inopportune crits as the rules allow). Given the apparent size of the armies of the Star League, which shaped many of the military traditions of the BT universe, I think I can see why fusion won out.

Register