Author Topic: [Design] Torso bomb mitigation?  (Read 3721 times)

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
[Design] Torso bomb mitigation?
« on: 22 April 2011, 10:28:23 »
So, I'm working on an IS design with a standard engine and 4 tons of ammo. Currently, the design has it all shoved into a single side torso with CASE. Problem is, I have very little to critsoak with (no extra DHS, maybe one of the jump jets and some of the weapons). 

What do you guys recommend for ammo heavy designs? (Let's not and say we did with "flashbulb zombie" responses :-p)

willydstyle

• Captain
Re: [Design] Torso bomb mitigation?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2011, 10:30:13 »
Post the design up in the fan design board, and I'd love to look at it.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2011, 16:44:01 »
So, I'm working on an IS design with a standard engine and 4 tons of ammo. Currently, the design has it all shoved into a single side torso with CASE. Problem is, I have very little to critsoak with (no extra DHS, maybe one of the jump jets and some of the weapons). 

What do you guys recommend for ammo heavy designs? (Let's not and say we did with "flashbulb zombie" responses :-p)

While it offends my personal sense of aesthetics, jump jets do not have to be symetrical, you could stuff all the crits in with the ammo.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2011, 20:11:54 »
You can cover these ammo slots by armouring them internally. It's will save them from lucky hit.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2011, 20:14:20 »
I agree that Jump Jets can be asymmetrical. I often have the weapon and ammo in the same location just to fill the ammo location with none explosive crits.

On a play style note track ammo consumption at the critical location. Drain an ammo bin then move to next. Don't draw from bins evenly. Once you have an empty bin it becomes a "crit soak"

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Padrach

• Private
  • Chaptor, the Gentleman Raptor
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2011, 22:47:30 »
You can cover these ammo slots by armouring them internally. It's will save them from lucky hit.

Sadly, If I remember correctly, you can't armor explody ammo :'( 
Quote from: TacOps_pg283
Except for ammunition bins, explosive components (such as Gauss rifles) may be installed as armored components, and will explode only upon the second
critical hit to a given slot.
"Yea verily, though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "****** you." - Alacorn crew motto.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2011, 23:25:09 »
You could always stick the ammo in the arms.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mensa12345

• Sergeant
  • FedCom Forever!!!
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2011, 00:33:08 »
I generally put the first ton of ammo in the head (I have non-union pilots).  The next four go in the feet.  That way, you have an automatic four crits to soak, and if it explodes, it has to go all the way through the legs, and then the corresponding torso before it gets to the center torso.  I'm trying to avoid blasting the mech to the point it can't be salvaged after the battle.  If the bins are mostly empty, there's not enough damage potential to completely `splode the mech and I can repair it later.  Also, if I'm taking internal crits on the leg, the mech is pretty much going to be a mission kill very soon anyway.  A good use of partial cover with my ammo dependant mechs (particularly LRM versions that can stand back behind a level one at long range and plink) can seriously mitigate any danger from the bins.  By the time the battle gets close enough that kicking starts or I lose partial cover, I'm largely out of ammo anyway.  Then the empty bins become crit-soaks for my acutators, keeping the mech mobile longer.
That which is Seen cannot be Unseen.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2011, 02:00:34 »
Sometimes a torso bomb just can't be avoided, and it may even lend some flavor to the 'Mech; I know some of my own designs have that as one of their potential Achilles' heels.

That said, explosion risks aside, one problem with all the ammo in one location is that once that location goes, even if nothing blows up, all your ammo-dependent weapons still on what's left of the 'Mech stop working. That's part of why I like to distribute my bins a bit and, if possible and necessary, CASE both side torsos instead of only one; I also like to stick my ammo close to the weapons it's feeding both as a matter of personal taste and so that said weapons can provide a bit of padding.

I virtually never put ammo bins in the legs, and if I do it's usually on quads because I need that torso space for the guns (and because, once a side torso goes, I lose the corresponding foreleg anyway). On biped chassis, especially one with a standard engine, I'd rather lose both side torsos than one leg; and remember, in close combat leg bombs are a standing invitation to both kicks and infantry.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2011, 08:18:29 »
If the ammo fed weapon is in the arm, I'd put the ammo there. Otherwise, I'd also consider moving some of it into the leg on the CASE'd side of the mech.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2011, 08:13:35 »
Fire on 9's instead of 7s
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk