Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 177793 times)

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #300 on: 22 June 2013, 03:40:10 »
Out of curiosity, how close is the Niops Association from Novo Franklin? The fluff says that its only a few light years away & within easy reach. That implies that they're within one or two jumps of each other. Would that mean Novo Franklin is close to the FWL border?

Novo Franklin and Niops are on opposite sides of the inner sphere, Niops is on the FWL side and Franklin on the Outworlds Alliance/Draconis Combine side.

hpackrat

• Sergeant
« Reply #301 on: 22 June 2013, 05:11:35 »
Novo Franklin and Niops are on opposite sides of the inner sphere, Niops is on the FWL side and Franklin on the Outworlds Alliance/Draconis Combine side.

I am aware that on a 2D map, Niops & Novo Franklin are on opposite sides but the fluff still says that they're within easy reach of each other. Is it possible that under a 3D map, the two systems are closer than they seem?

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #302 on: 22 June 2013, 05:16:14 »
I am aware that on a 2D map, Niops & Novo Franklin are on opposite sides but the fluff still says that they're within easy reach of each other. Is it possible that under a 3D map, the two systems are closer than they seem?
Not really. Which fluff are you looking at?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #303 on: 22 June 2013, 09:44:13 »
That's weird, because I'm pretty sure Novo Franklin is over by the Outworlds.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #304 on: 22 June 2013, 10:46:20 »
Perhaps you're thinking of Astrokaszy?

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #305 on: 22 June 2013, 19:35:52 »

What background says that?  I can't see how changing to a 3-D map is going to bring the systems closer since all you are doing is adding an extra axis, if anything that is going to make them further apart.

hpackrat

• Sergeant
« Reply #306 on: 23 June 2013, 23:02:05 »
Field Manual: Periphery 10982 pg-108 "The Niops Association is just a few light years distant, however, and several of Novo Franklin's city-states actively trade with the tiny power, assuring that resources needed to keep the world and its society functioning are present."

This statement pretty much states that Niops & Novo Franklin are near enough for there to be active trading between the two systems.

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #307 on: 23 June 2013, 23:10:37 »
That statement is wrong then, even in Periphery 1st edition the two locations were on opposite sides of the inner sphere; maybe they meant another planet rather than Niops or it's just a case of mistaken location but there's no way the two places could be said to be just a few light years apart.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #308 on: 11 September 2013, 16:58:11 »
So, FM3145...

Spoilers Abound.

The national government was apparently unable to get its act together until 3097, so it really was a miracle the Space Romans didn't pick us off before then. The new government sounds kind of weak, to be honest, propped up by The Republic (well, until they went away) and Interstellar Expeditions (who now funds nearly half of the NAM's yearly budget). It also seems that the Jihad has reinforced the populations' isolationist streak - not to the point of closed borders, because Niops is more reliant on trade now than ever, but I imagine there's definitely a much stronger anti-foreigner atmosphere than pre-Jihad. Also, it seems like there's growing planetary rivalry between V, VI and VII

The IE thing makes me semi-happy, because, to quote myself:

Quote from: Niopsian
I like the idea of Niops becoming a marshaling point for Interstellar Expeditions missions into the Rimward/Spinward Deep Periphery. It keeps it relevant for the short term and provides a good amount of traffic in and out of the system for trade - which they can use to rebuild infrastructure and/or hire additional defenders.

I'd be happier if it didn't mean we're mostly a banana republic now but I'm so rarely right I'll settle for half a loaf.

The Project Workshop is still gone. Goodbye, hand built 'Mechs of awesomeness. We do have a military academy now, so there's that.

All in all, I'm kind of bummed. I mean, I realize Niops is never going to shake the pillars of the universe or anything, but I will admit I was hoping for more. I'm not asking to be the Canopians, just better than the Fronc Reaches.  :P
[/spoiler]

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #309 on: 11 September 2013, 18:29:48 »
Ye gods...can't pick up my copy till late tonight, but sounds like something I need to get.

So, with the workshops gone, what the heck is the Militia fielding?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #310 on: 11 September 2013, 18:50:26 »
Ye gods...can't pick up my copy till late tonight, but sounds like something I need to get.

So, with the workshops gone, what the heck is the Militia fielding?

Whatever it can pick up in trade with the Rim Commonality, the Regulans, the Magistracy and - get this - the Marians.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #311 on: 11 September 2013, 18:59:26 »
Quote from: Niopsian
Whatever it can pick up in trade with the Rim Commonality, the Regulans, the Magistracy and - get this - the Marians.

Say what now? The Marians?  Seriously?  I can see the others, but that makes the kind of sense that doesn't.

So. Banana republic for IE and the RotS, complete loss of domestic production...wow. Niops really took it in the shorts.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #312 on: 11 September 2013, 19:43:34 »
IIRC it said they barely have any PA(L)s anymore, and the ones they have are basically stuck guarding important things where they hopefully won't get destroyed, maybe.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #313 on: 11 September 2013, 21:40:50 »
IIRC it said they barely have any PA(L)s anymore, and the ones they have are basically stuck guarding important things where they hopefully won't get destroyed, maybe.

Specifically, they're all on Niops VII protecting "government facilities". From whom, I wonder? Disgruntled civilians from Niops V and VI?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #314 on: 11 September 2013, 22:36:47 »
Well, that's a depressing thought.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #315 on: 12 September 2013, 01:32:43 »

OK, picked it up and read through it tonight.  I found that section on the NAM especially odd:

"The one bright spot in an otherwise bleak recent history has been the formal addition of infantry forces to the NAM in both unarmored and battle armor alike."

1.  Wasn't it always?
2.  With an equipment rating of D, which would  preclude availability of BA, how does that work?  Just the token Nighthawks?

"The NAM currently has four squads of the ancient Nighthawk Mk XXI power armor— representing all of the suits left in active service today. These assets are used exclusively to protect the government facilities on  Niops VII."

That makes it sound like Niops is the only nation still actively fielding the Nighthawk XXI, but it's still on the Lyrannd Republic lists.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #316 on: 12 September 2013, 01:50:18 »
I read it as those 4 squads being all the BA (or at least all the Nighthawks) left in Niops service.   As you mentioned, with an ER of D, they shouldn't have BA at all
Sunrise is Coming.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #317 on: 12 September 2013, 07:48:29 »
I read it as those 4 squads being all the BA (or at least all the Nighthawks) left in Niops service.   As you mentioned, with an ER of D, they shouldn't have BA at all

No, that means they shouldn't use the BA RATs at all.  I'm also not especially inclined to take FM3145's statement that minor Periphery factions completely lack access to BA at face value.  Among other things, Niops is importing from the Marians.  One of the Hegemony's major military exports for years has been the Ravager.  Then there's the part where the book itself goes out of its way to mention they still have a handful of Nighthawks.  I take that remark more as guidance and an instruction on how to use the RATs.

As far as force availability goes where the MUL is concerned, Niops actually has access to everything on the Periphery General list, or it will once we get the full Dark Age era lists out.  We expect players to use their own discretion, creativity, and preferences to guide them when they use the MUL and that goes double for factions that are too small to be tracked at that level.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #318 on: 12 September 2013, 08:32:03 »
No, that means they shouldn't use the BA RATs at all.  I'm also not especially inclined to take FM3145's statement that minor Periphery factions completely lack access to BA at face value.  Among other things, Niops is importing from the Marians.  One of the Hegemony's major military exports for years has been the Ravager.  Then there's the part where the book itself goes out of its way to mention they still have a handful of Nighthawks.  I take that remark more as guidance and an instruction on how to use the RATs.

As far as force availability goes where the MUL is concerned, Niops actually has access to everything on the Periphery General list, or it will once we get the full Dark Age era lists out.  We expect players to use their own discretion, creativity, and preferences to guide them when they use the MUL and that goes double for factions that are too small to be tracked at that level.

Bubbamechs it is.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #319 on: 12 September 2013, 08:35:08 »
Send Nyops may make instruction to Collegium Caelum bellorum or Collegue for Mechwarrior and Aerospace Fighter, maybe BA Pilot

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #320 on: 12 September 2013, 16:07:14 »
The option of the Theseus or Asterion (cannot remember which) also exists since it is being exported and the neighboring Canopus also sells the Amazon.  Niops makes a good stop on the trade route from the Magistrix to the Rim Commonality (via Astrokrazy) or the Hegemony.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #321 on: 12 September 2013, 17:39:59 »
I'd also include all the 3025-era list as well, as such tech is low enough to be assumed eiter built or salvaged.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #322 on: 13 September 2013, 02:31:49 »
Know what I'd love to see them buy?  Marauder battlesuits off the Marians, and MAD-3Ms off the FWL states or MAD-3D milsurp off the Lyrans.

Marauders carrying Marauders. :)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #323 on: 13 September 2013, 16:05:45 »
...and the neighboring Canopus also sells the Amazon.

Considering that the Amazon didn't proliferate to the Capellans until the Dark Age, I rather doubt they're selling them the way you're implying.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #324 on: 13 September 2013, 19:01:44 »
Which happened in 3132 . . . so a bit over twelve years to sell a few to a neighboring trade partner & minor faction who also just happens to be a minor block to the Hegemony.  Or given as part of a diplomatic initiative from Canopus.

I am not suggesting battalions of the design, but rather maybe a squad or two.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #325 on: 14 September 2013, 05:37:54 »
And I'm suggesting that the Canopians probably aren't spreading the design around that way, especially when they have the Theseus handy to offer in large numbers.

If it works for your game, fine, but "sell" is not the verb I'd use to describe how Canopus is handling the Amazon.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #326 on: 17 September 2013, 18:07:51 »
Know what I'd love to see them buy?  Marauder battlesuits off the Marians, and MAD-3Ms off the FWL states or MAD-3D milsurp off the Lyrans.

Marauders carrying Marauders. :)

Heh... I thought something alike.

But instead of MAD-3D or -3M, I'd go more: Maurader MAD-9S.

ECM and Probe with TAG(Light).

Good Niopian armor: Testudos and Heavy LRM Carriesr supported by Gladius and Light SRM Carriers.

TT  >:D
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #327 on: 17 September 2013, 19:44:33 »
Wow, that would be nasty. So much so, I have to wonder if the Marians would sell them to Niops then.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #328 on: 17 September 2013, 19:47:16 »
Meanwhile, chanman has figured out the first 'Mech Niops will put back into production with their degraded industrial infrastructure: the Hicklander.

http://btechunits.com/index.php?topic=320.0

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #329 on: 17 September 2013, 19:48:45 »
Wow, that would be nasty. So much so, I have to wonder if the Marians would sell them to Niops then.

Hint: Third-party trading.  [legal]

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse