Author Topic: Alpha Strike Critical Hit printable cards  (Read 1281 times)

pascal

• Corporal
Alpha Strike Critical Hit printable cards
« on: 17 December 2018, 14:11:57 »
As an experiment, I made a set of Critical Hit cards:

https://battletech.nl/assets/cards/battletech_alphastrike_criticalhits.pdf

Feel free to print for your own personal use.

I would recommend to have them printed on thick cardstock and laminated before cutting them out, and using them sleeved (usually makes shuffling a lot easier).

There's two ways to use them...

(1) Use a single stack of 36 cards, and draw a card for each critical hit, recording the critical hit, and shuffling the card back into the deck.
This is essentially the same as rolling the dice from a statistics point of view.

The other (potentially more interesting way)....

(2) Use two stacks of 36 cards (one for each player), each player draws critical hits from his own stack, keeping the card once drawn (either put them on a used stack or keep them near the relevant unit card). This has the side effect of equalizing luck between the players. If a player draws a lot of "no crit" results early in the game, he'll more likely will suffer for it later in the game. If a player draws a unit destroyed early in the game, that player now doesn't have to worry about that anymore, since it gone from the deck.
As a variant, you could use two stacks of 72 cards (one for each player), if only having to worry about a single unit destroyed result feels a bit too "safe" for you :)

Make sure both you and your opponent understand the pro/cons of method (2) before explicitly agreeing to use this, as this is a deviation from the official rules.

If you decide to print these, and use them in your games, I'd love to hear which method you're using, and if method (2), I'd love to hear what you and your friends thought about how it affects your gameplay.

LegoMech

• Private
Re: Alpha Strike Critical Hit printable cards
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2018, 20:03:27 »
That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

Register