Author Topic: Ken Roos heat dial  (Read 3613 times)

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
Ken Roos heat dial
« on: 06 February 2014, 23:31:45 »
Why did Ken Roos' Warhammer IIC heat dial go automatically to an 'avoid shutdown' after one click. Error perhaps, or just the wrong mech to field?
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
Re: Ken Roos heat dial
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2014, 09:34:07 »
He has a Warhammer IIC equivalent of the Masakari Prime with a faction that is known to be overly aggressive on the heat curve. His isn't the only one like that.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2014, 10:47:00 »
I don't think I ever saw Ken Roos hit the field, except maybe in a sealed tournament ... I never had to play against one, either way. Too bad, too ... the 1st click shutdown roll was way too much over-compensation for this unit ... it's crazy when you compare it with Dock Steward's capabilities, and for only 11 more points. And for a Highlander unit, too ...  :o

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2014, 00:40:37 »
Never have looked at his dial, let's just take a look on Warrenborn and...

...Wow. That dial sucks, even by Steiner standards. No wonder I never saw this thing in a game.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2014, 10:13:37 »
That dial is actually fantastic if you can make the terrain work for you. Water is your friend. If you can park that thing in water, you can fire every turn. I think the last time I used it, I failed that heat roll 50% of the time but with the automatic cooling at the end of the turn for started and finishing in water, it would not only start up but clear its order token.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2014, 10:50:23 »
That dial is actually fantastic if you can make the terrain work for you. Water is your friend. If you can park that thing in water, you can fire every turn. I think the last time I used it, I failed that heat roll 50% of the time but with the automatic cooling at the end of the turn for started and finishing in water, it would not only start up but clear its order token.

In tournament play if you park that thing it water, you can dodge the artillery every turn.  It was one of those units that made you wonder if the person who created ever played the game before.  :(
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2014, 10:33:09 »
I always loved Ken Roos.  My one buddy played Stormhammers and Swordsworn, and in the days of pre-AoD clix, used  him a lot.  Had to do a lot of work to get him to yield results, but when he did...

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2014, 21:46:03 »
Used him a few times.  Even if not in water.
His down fall is artillery. 
But your looking at his heat dial wrong.  It's not a Shutdown at each turn of the heat dial.  It's a startup every turn on the deat dial.
How many units did you fail the startup and have to vent back to green?  Not Ken Roos
He is a tricky guy to use

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2014, 16:57:14 »
I could never get the hang of playing it either, but my son liked to field it and always did really well.  I used to say the unit  needed a stool since it both looked like and played like it was ready to sit down and take a break.  If you got hit with it, it hurt, and it had a pretty good chance of hitting in pre-AOD days with a 10 IT.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2014, 17:00:37 by dethtungue »

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2014, 14:55:43 »

This is exactly how i have seen in used.... Devastating!!!! 
at least   ...  for a SS mech
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

casperionx

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2014, 04:30:07 »
Ahh Ken Roos, how I miss that 'Mech. Hillarious watching people trying to cause heat to it when parked in a water and he'd always reboot. Had an awesome punch. Then over taken by the Widowmaker. But still Roos won me quite a few matches.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2014, 10:06:54 »
I had to think about the few times I actually saw the Warhammer deployed in a game.  Generally, I preferred to Run-and-Gun and Spirit Cats were more Pushable  than most of the other factions.  That meant I used lots of Hindering and Blocking Terrain.  So, when it was available, Water puddles were often placed inconveniently far from the mechs that needed them.

Ken Roos depends on Water too much to be awesome, but you have to admit, it is fun to try.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Register