Author Topic: Planetary Maps (Turning Point/Touring the Star) - How does one use?  (Read 1656 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
So, i've checked the rules a bit, and I'm a little lost on what parts of the map represent.

For example, there is the GREY Diamonds, labeled 1-10, what is their purpose?

And the Solar map representation on the far right. What is the purpoase of all the +6's, as well as the two +0's?

If there is one particular rule book where this is explained in depth, I would much appreciate the info!
« Last Edit: 01 October 2016, 18:16:59 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
Re: Planetary Maps (Tunring Point/Touring the Star) - How to use
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2016, 21:23:30 »
There is a book. Strategic Operations if I remember correctly. Those diamonds are for aerial movement between the corresponding earth diamonds and those +X numbers is the pirate jump points and their difficulty to jump to...
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2016, 16:34:31 »
Nope, nothing in STRATEGIC OPERATIONS.

Instellar Operations has some info on the Planetary maps (refering to the various Turning points, and I guess by default the now Touring the Stars), but still does not explain the Grey Diamond, nor the Gray Hexes on the far right.

Obviously at one time there was rules printed that governed these maps, and what various things mean. That is what I am looking for.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2016, 17:08:34 »
I've got this feeling that I saw something like the grey hexes to the right in Campaign Operations, but I haven't been able to find it since. There might be something about them in SO then

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2016, 17:23:03 »
Nope...and Nope.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
I think BattleForce 2 covers it.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Stuff from Interstellar Operations would be using this map if you do a planetary invasion using the Abstract Combat System, using battalion and regimental size forces.  I'm glad their made.  Given cost of it, it's good money for it's price.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wotan

• Lieutenant
BattleForce 2 had a rule section to play with that maps. While that rules seems to be outdated and not used in any new product, the maps are still pretty common. So i'm puzzled for years, too.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
Mixed Strategic Operations with Battleforce 2.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
I think some folks are missing my actual question.

I have ALL hard cover rule books, all of the Touring the Stars and most of the TURNING POINTS.

What I am looking for is where did the rules for using the maps come from. These would be the rules that spell out what the solar system map on the grey hexes are for and what the +6's represent. If they are indeed the pirate Jump Points, then please provide me an actual page reference. That way I can also find out what scale the hexes are.

Without a page reference it would be akin to saying I think that's from one of Shakespeare's plays, without the title, act or scene. :(

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Planetary Maps (Turning Point/Touring the Star) - How does one use?
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2016, 15:04:41 »
BattleForce 2.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2016, 15:32:09 »
Yup found them thanx all for the assistance.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2016, 16:06:08 »
Just an update. My bad on the battleforce 2 rules. I gad them confused with the Battleforce Rules in Strategic Operations. Sorry for being dumb.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2016, 23:30:06 »
No worries. All glad to help here. :)
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2016, 19:28:13 »
I've often wondered about this same thing.  I'm a little disappointed that these rules aren't in some of the newer rule books.  Is there a way to get a PDF of these map rules for a free download?  I see Battleforce rules are available for a cheap download but I'm not interested in the older rule set to get them.

BattleForce 2.
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Zematus737

• Sergeant
You can use an Engagement Map as represented in IO when you enter in to one of the diamonds.  Treat the diamond as the Central Zone of a Capital Radar Map, allowing Units to remain or dip. So, rather than having one single Atmospheric Radar Map, you'll have 10.  For the planetary hexes from zenith/nadir points, divide transit times by the seven hexes to see how many turns in ACS (3.5 day) will bring you to the planet.  Round normally to the nearest day.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major

Register