Author Topic: Hex Vertices for Maps?  (Read 11200 times)

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
Hex Vertices for Maps?
« on: 12 November 2019, 12:29:45 »
Does anybody know a source for hex vertices that can be used to designate hexes on maps?  Not the entire hex, just the center point with the 3 arms coming off it at 120 degree angles.    3d printing, or etsy, or anybody who sells them. 
Thanks!
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Hex Vertices for Maps?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2019, 12:43:48 »
Do you mean so you can paint/trace hexes?

if so there is Litko:

https://litko.net/collections/stencils
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2019, 14:19:42 »
Do you mean so you can paint/trace hexes?

if so there is Litko:

https://litko.net/collections/stencils
Thanks, but no, I was looking for actual physical pieces that can be placed at the vertices.  Imagine the Mercedes logo without the ring around it. 
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2019, 14:53:45 »
Thanks, but no, I was looking for actual physical pieces that can be placed at the vertices.  Imagine the Mercedes logo without the ring around it.

Ah...then no :(
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2019, 17:52:00 »
There are the 3-legged spacers that come with pizza boxes.  They're a bit over sized, but they are close.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2019, 19:02:59 »
Try a Google search for "hexagonal tile spacers". They're actually called Y-type spacers. You'll find them in large packs for cheap.

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2019, 10:03:38 »
Try a Google search for "hexagonal tile spacers". They're actually called Y-type spacers. You'll find them in large packs for cheap.
Thank you.  I had not thought of that route. 
They are hard to find in North America, though.  Europe has a lot of sources for them but there was only one in the US.
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2019, 10:51:15 »
Thank you.  I had not thought of that route. 
They are hard to find in North America, though.  Europe has a lot of sources for them but there was only one in the US.

Searching Amazon for "Y Type Spacers" turns up a lot of results.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2019, 12:59:34 »
what are you using these for?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2019, 15:12:02 »
what are you using these for?
I have a hex map, but a lot of the edges are not clearly defined.  I don't want to draw lines on it, so I will use these to indicate the hexes.  These can be used on hexes of any size.
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2019, 14:08:13 »
I have a hex map, but a lot of the edges are not clearly defined.  I don't want to draw lines on it, so I will use these to indicate the hexes.  These can be used on hexes of any size.
How will you secure them down? 

I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2019, 11:05:23 »
How will you secure them down?
Gravity   ^-^
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2019, 12:36:11 »
Gravity   ^-^
uh... a stiff breeze or table bump and these things are going everywhere.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2019, 16:28:08 »
Blutak will do it, and allow for removal.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2019, 08:42:02 »
Blutak will do it, and allow for removal.
Blutak often discolors the things it is used on (at least in my experience), so I am a bit hesitant to use it. 
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

grimlock1

• Captain

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2019, 16:35:23 »
Other thing I noticed is that the Y tile spacers aren't small - 3mm high and 15mm per leg. So probably good with 2" hexes or better, but might be a little cramped on standard 1.25" hexes.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2019, 12:11:37 »
I'm still a bit unclear on what problem the OP is trying to solve?  Are you trying to add hexes to a currently hexless mapsheet?  Adding hexes to some other terrain?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2019, 13:43:09 »

So multiple potential uses.

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 24 November 2019, 07:41:08 »
I'm still a bit unclear on what problem the OP is trying to solve?  Are you trying to add hexes to a currently hexless mapsheet?  Adding hexes to some other terrain?
I picked up some of the museum gel.  We will see how it works.
they are for these:
https://www.aplace2play.toys/C-499-Learn-About-Land.aspx
The hexes are 2" across.
They put out some "mega tiles" that do not have obvious borders, so I need it for them.
Thank you all for your help.
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 24 November 2019, 13:00:58 »
so is that $12.95USD per 70 single tiles? Interesting. 10 mega-tiles per pack?

Lionheart

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 27 November 2019, 09:28:42 »
so is that $12.95USD per 70 single tiles? Interesting. 10 mega-tiles per pack?
I don't think it is 10 mega per pack.  It seems to be 3, with the others split into 4, 3, and 2 hex size tiles. 
Catalyst Demo Agent #62

Register