Author Topic: What TRO are the MW: DA Units Detailed in?  (Read 15918 times)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What TRO are the MW: DA Units Detailed in?
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2019, 06:29:04 »
Uziel and Thanatos were from the Mechwarrior video games first I believe and were in TR 3067. SAme with Osiris.  MW4: released in 2000. TR3067 in 2002. 
The Project Phoenix were FanPro first. TRPP was released in 2003.
But MW:DA 'mechs that were new to tabletop BT with TR3075 and later were indeed Wizkids first.  Ryoken II, Sun Cobra, DI Morgan tank, etc. but not all of 3075 was MWDA.  Legionnaire and Wight were never MWDA for example.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2019, 07:56:06 »
Wasnt th legionnaire in the first set?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2019, 08:14:32 »
Wasnt th legionnaire in the first set?

yes, my mistake.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2019, 09:12:55 »
Depends on the model . . . for the Osiris, it was MW4 that came before it all just like the Uziel, Chimera, Thanatos and maybe missing one.

Locust 5M, not really sure but I THINK the TRO PP came first as part of the first re-vamps of the Unseen.  The MWDA made a appearance in a RS before TRO3075, it was a product early in the Dark Ages line to let folks play with those designs . . . basically if it appeared in the first or second MWDA set it was in that RA with some noted exceptions.

Yeah, the Legionnaire is one that got picked up very quickly by BT- I love the design, the IWM mini works pretty well but the arms are just so thin . . . just too bad its beyond my skills to put something on to thicken them up.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2019, 10:09:11 »
Depends on the model . . . for the Osiris, it was MW4 that came before it all just like the Uziel, Chimera, Thanatos and maybe missing one.

Locust 5M, not really sure but I THINK the TRO PP came first as part of the first re-vamps of the Unseen.  The MWDA made a appearance in a RS before TRO3075, it was a product early in the Dark Ages line to let folks play with those designs . . . basically if it appeared in the first or second MWDA set it was in that RA with some noted exceptions.

Yeah, the Legionnaire is one that got picked up very quickly by BT- I love the design, the IWM mini works pretty well but the arms are just so thin . . . just too bad its beyond my skills to put something on to thicken them up.

So the Record Sheets: Dark Age I is a direct port FROM MWDA TO “classic” BattleTech?  The RS appeared before any published “classic” TRO fluff?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2019, 10:45:23 »
Yeah, I want to say we had a lot of forum discussion about converting the MWDA Dossiers into the mechs (my biggest disappointment/disgust is with the Ghost) and so they provided one for us.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2019, 15:22:00 »
So the Record Sheets: Dark Age I is a direct port FROM MWDA TO “classic” BattleTech?  The RS appeared before any published “classic” TRO fluff?

Yup. Randall basically did them up on the fly.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2019, 21:30:53 »
Yup. Randall basically did them up on the fly.

I appreciate the insight.  I find such minutiae interesting as it provides a bit of context for what I'm looking at, especially given I was on a BT hiatus during the whole FanPro / Wizkids Jihad / Dark Age period.  It also explains why the "Dossier" versions feature a relatively low tech level given the time period and what was theoretically available.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2019, 00:10:46 »
The dossiers are a real mixed bunch since you have restored antiques, armed Indimechs and cutting edge stuff in small handfuls at the beginning simply because you were dealing with the little factions.  You started seeing more advanced stuff once the Republic and CapCon started showing up more.
Colt Ward