Author Topic: The *literally* Never-Seen  (Read 160826 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: The *literally* Never-Seen
« Reply #390 on: 04 July 2019, 08:35:03 »
Curious, would Clan Stone Lion produce those or have a variant or two of those?
'Just wondering, as I don't have the PDF...
(If one of you wants to PM the answer...)
Those won't exist until Technical Readout: Golden Century comes out, the Turning Point has it as a t. Notice in the pdf, which is hopeful the book will eventually come out.

Unfortunately there isn't art for them, soo technically their unseen.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #391 on: 05 July 2019, 06:54:49 »
Curious, would Clan Stone Lion produce those or have a variant or two of those?
Those went extinct long before Clan Stone Lion was created during/after the Wars of Reaving.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #392 on: 05 July 2019, 07:06:26 »
Those went extinct long before Clan Stone Lion was created during/after the Wars of Reaving.
We don't exactly if those Mechs/vehicles/aerospace etc aren't dead or not.  They could have been put into Brian Caches.  Also they were out of game, designed after Wars of Reaving were made.

It be nice to see someone right a story or two in the Clan Home worlds in the aftermath of the mess.  Just stuff immediately after it since authors who wrote it are gone.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #393 on: 05 July 2019, 11:52:59 »
We don't exactly if those Mechs/vehicles/aerospace etc aren't dead or not.  They could have been put into Brian Caches.  Also they were out of game, designed after Wars of Reaving were made.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the MUL is a canon source. If the MUL says they're extinct, until something new is written, those designs are extinct. All the fan guesswork and what-if's in the world do not change canon. Should a player choose to do something different with their own game, there is nothing stopping them. But that also does not change canon.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #394 on: 05 July 2019, 12:07:38 »
It should be noted that MUL is ever evolving.
The Dragoon was thought extinct in the sourcebook it was introduced and listed so in MUL but ComStar found one anyway. The Shogun is extinct but was put back into production according to 3150NTNU, and its availability in MUL hasn't been updated yet (partially probably because the RS for new variants aren't available).

Of course we don't really know for sure until TRO Golden Century is released and the designs are added to MUL properly.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #395 on: 05 July 2019, 12:12:29 »
I can confirm that MUL not updated, Turing Points: Tokasha has number new units they included in there either has very little info such as the Fox BattleMech and Minsk, and unites that have been listed yet such as the Kokou Defense Tank, Issedone Light OmniFighter, which clearly have record sheets printed. 

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #396 on: 05 July 2019, 12:21:07 »
It should be noted that MUL is ever evolving.
The Dragoon was thought extinct in the sourcebook it was introduced and listed so in MUL but ComStar found one anyway. The Shogun is extinct but was put back into production according to 3150NTNU, and its availability in MUL hasn't been updated yet (partially probably because the RS for new variants aren't available).

Of course we don't really know for sure until TRO Golden Century is released and the designs are added to MUL properly.
Yeah, I pretty much said that...
If the MUL says they're extinct, until something new is written, those designs are extinct. All the fan guesswork and what-if's in the world do not change canon. Should a player choose to do something different with their own game, there is nothing stopping them. But that also does not change canon.

Point being, current canon points to them being extinct, period. Fan speculation about future canon is not canon. Players can do what they wish with their own games, nobody is saying they can't, but that still does not change canon.

We're also talking about a Homeworld Clan, and, in my opinion, are quite unlikely to get any solid information on them any time soon. TRO: Golden Century may flesh out the designs in that era, but what do you think the odds are of any information stretching into the current era? If anything, there may be hooks and loopholes for writers to use in the future, but that still won't be "current" information until it is actually written.

I can confirm that MUL not updated, Turing Points: Tokasha has number new units they included in there either has very little info such as the Fox BattleMech and Minsk, and unites that have been listed yet such as the Kokou Defense Tank, Issedone Light OmniFighter, which clearly have record sheets printed. 
So, we're discussing the Fox (Clan Diamond Shark design), Minsk (Clan Ghost Bear design), and Corvis Omni (unknown origin). What information about them contained in TP: Tokasha will be added to the MUL and state anything about post-Reaving production? I wager nothing.
« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 12:22:54 by Cache »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #397 on: 05 July 2019, 13:46:22 »
You know, not to start another dead flame war and get this thread locked...

They said the Mackie was dead, gone... but an example was shown in canon, of all things, the clans had one made ready for a Trial.

If one has a Recordsheet, then one has an example of said unit. Even if it's just a one off, like Gausszilla. I can clearly state one exists, but that is my table... not yours. And Cache is kinda correct, unless a TPTB makes or enforces a ruling into fact, its still unknown hearsay... bt it's your table!

In other words...I'm wanting a complete factual listing, I'm going to have to create my own.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #398 on: 05 July 2019, 13:55:33 »
the ruling into fact is the MUL - if you think there's an error report it.

I'm wanting a complete factual listing, I'm going to have to create my own.

i look forward to seeing it when you finish in the late 2030s

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #399 on: 05 July 2019, 13:58:44 »
HA! :thumbsup:

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #400 on: 05 July 2019, 22:07:28 »
You know, not to start another dead flame war and get this thread locked...

Please, no.

Thrilled that this thread draws so much interest, however.

My 0.02...which rounds down to nothing now that we got rid of the penny...is that as with the Woodsman; the ideal of the Labour Caste is to produce just enough to meet the Clan's needs and be all used up in action; then recycled, if possible. Do the Clans keep making/contributing to their caches later on? I never heard that before, but cool if so!

However...Logically; unless the data is lost...what stops someone from making new ones if they fit the need?

Isn't that how we got the retrotech mechs during the Jihad? Everything up to Mackies rolling off ersatz production lines from old specs that someone got, somehow.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #401 on: 06 July 2019, 00:02:52 »
The Clans aren't big on history in general, but technical specs for Mechs?  I can see technicians and/or merchant members keeping good archives for those.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #402 on: 06 July 2019, 18:54:57 »
You'd figure they'd have to right? To prevent a tech collapse?

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #403 on: 08 July 2019, 12:18:46 »
My 0.02...which rounds down to nothing now that we got rid of the penny...is that as with the Woodsman; the ideal of the Labour Caste is to produce just enough to meet the Clan's needs and be all used up in action; then recycled, if possible. Do the Clans keep making/contributing to their caches later on? I never heard that before, but cool if so!

Well . . . we know large/powerful Clans will stock their own caches . . . we have two bits of fluff that indicate this . . . the Highlander IIC and Hellfire/Lupus.  Both are interesting examples . . . I want to say it was the Wolves who pulled old SLDF Highlanders out of their caches to rebuild them to Clan spec as IICs- even while some poorer Clans might still have been using the -732 (this was before the Royals).  Something happened to make the Wolf Clan need to bolster their secondline forces- or maybe not, came out 4 years after the Omni was introduced- which prompted them to pull Star League Highlanders out of caches to refit with Clan weapons.  IMO a production slowdown as they retooled to Omnis?  Working out the kinks of producing the Woodsman?  Whatever, but it means at some point the Wolves, and other big Clans (Jags, Falcons, Adders, Coyotes, Bears), decided to put Highlanders into storage likely b/c they had enough new production using Clan weapons like Warhammer IIC, Wakazashi (JF), Supernova, Marauder IIC, etc that using Star League designs was considered a disadvantage.  So while producing new Clan tech mechs, they retired Star League era mechs.

The Lupus was also relegated to secondline forces or put into caches among at least the Adders, even though it was a Omni.  The Lupus caused the Coyotes to retire Archers & Bombardiers (maybe into a cache?  maybe eventually used for the Dragoons?) though it was later surpassed by more advanced Omni designs that saw it phased out even among its creators.  How many were in use among the secondline forces of the Clans is open to question, but a significant enough portion were in caches among the Adders that it was used as a testbed for combat deployment of heavy lasers.  It was enough that they refit over 100 Lupus from caches or serving in secondline forces- to me it makes more sense to refit from caches to issue than pull in Lupus still actually serving until the end.

So yeah, big Clans were able to store excess mechs . . . and did not feel the need to use them instead to expand their touman numbers- likely a factor of how many warriors the sibkos turned out to refresh the touman.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #404 on: 08 July 2019, 12:38:23 »
We may find out when TRO: Golden Century comes out. It will update anything on Mech's you've mentioned.

I'm curious on designs we've not seen at all.  I know there something there we've missed, just got dig deep enough.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #405 on: 08 July 2019, 18:10:51 »
it was the Wolves who pulled old SLDF Highlanders out of their caches to rebuild them to Clan spec as IICs

The Lupus was also relegated to secondline forces or put into caches among at least the Adders, even though it was a Omni.

So, we do know for sure that the Clans *do* restock and make new caches at need. That is cool.

And the Highlander-thing was when I knew you could do anything in BT and make it work through FASAnomics, which is something I kinda love, even with the "HUH?!" aspect of it.

A.E. Housman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #406 on: 08 July 2019, 19:29:03 »
Certain Clans . . . The five I mentioned I see having caches along with the SharkFoxes- on their part its more of a 'for sale' lot rather than real storage.

I would not expect the Cobras, Horses, Spirits, Scorpions, Mandrills or Ravens to have caches with mechs though the Ravens had naval caches that might have included ASF and Small Craft.  Burrocks, Ice Hellions, Steel Vipers, Nova Cats, and others its up for grabs about their having caches.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #407 on: 09 July 2019, 05:55:00 »
I'm pretty sure that all the Clans still possess Caches, at least did until the WoR, it's just that for some of them all the equipment dates back to the SL.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #408 on: 09 July 2019, 11:18:21 »
Horses were mech-poor after the Bears took Tokasha which is what led them to embrace vehicles even more.

Spirits traded warships for Raven secondline/SL mechs, so either they had some stockpiled or they decommissioned ground forces to increase their warship count.  Considering the fluff on the Clint IIC (sold after Revival to Invaders) I think you could make a case either way, though IMO the Spirits should have lots of Clints lol.  The Spirits were not able to refit the Clusters damaged when they challenged the Adders during the Burrock Absorption, instead decommissioning the incomplete clusters b/c of their adherence to the rigid unit structures.

Cobras have reserve lists for ASF pilots at least, and that is their premier branch- they may do it for more than ASF, and if they had spare mechs its hard to imagine they would not trade them for more fighters.

Scorpions field at least Star League designs in their secondline units let alone their garrison.  I think some frontline units have a chance for them (avoiding Always Faithful as a resource, it had problems with Scorpion mech use) . . . and if they have Star League designs in frontline or secondline units, hard to see them retiring any.

Mandrills?  I would say the Mandrills b/c of the infighting among the Kindraa let alone fending off other Clans tend to churn through their mech inventories ahead of other Clans.  They built a Omni with the help of allies (Crimson Langur) and in a rare move the Kindraa cooperated to build a standard mech (Predator) for all of them to use.  A Kindraa started producing the Mandrill mech again after decades, as part of a unity drive.

Now I expect they would have caches of parts, maybe some retired SL armor, maybe some BA suits but I would not think very many intact mechs like the 100 or so Lupus the Adders put up.
Colt Ward

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #409 on: 09 July 2019, 12:09:38 »
Just imagine all the useless stuff that you know will be there too.  Crates of Thermal insulating boot small right, mislabeled as ammo anyone?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #410 on: 09 July 2019, 12:26:06 »
I think the Pentagon worlds would have the 'biggest' caches even if they are empty.  We get to see a bit of one with the Wolverines story and the Scorpion's Temple IIRC . . . but since they were built to the same sort of design as Star League Castle Brians then we should expect them to be buried deep.

And then you have to wonder if there was something like the New Dallas core set up in any of them . . .
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #411 on: 10 July 2019, 00:35:48 »
Just imagine all the useless stuff that you know will be there too.  Crates of Thermal insulating boot small right, mislabeled as ammo anyone?

Water chips, GECKs, Self-sealing stembolts, portable structures with a hole in the fourth wall...
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #412 on: 10 July 2019, 16:32:15 »
Cans of creamed corn where  it clearly states corned beef.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #413 on: 10 July 2019, 17:28:53 »
That's... just evil, even for you TT...  ::)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #414 on: 10 July 2019, 18:01:52 »
Cans of creamed corn where  it clearly states corned beef deviled ham.

TT

Let's make sure we do that right.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #415 on: 10 July 2019, 20:19:57 »
That's... just evil, even for you TT...  ::)

Hey, I've been busy lately...

Evil just comes as a second nature to me...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #416 on: 10 July 2019, 23:22:09 »
Cans of creamed corn where  it clearly states corned beef.

TT

You aren't supposed to eat that, you know? Creamed corn just exists as a warning to the other corn of what happens to kernels who step out of line. Something like what happened to the Order of Cincinnatus in canon.

A.E. Housman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #417 on: 11 July 2019, 15:50:42 »
You aren't supposed to eat that, you know? Creamed corn just exists as a warning to the other corn of what happens to kernels who step out of line. Something like what happened to the Order of Cincinnatus in canon.

. . . you know its a Down Periscope joke?
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #418 on: 11 July 2019, 19:15:13 »
Ah, found something that hasn't been seen: The Awesome AWS-11H. But this depends on whether it exists: the XTRO Marik says "...rumored AWS-11H with three heavy PPCs".

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #419 on: 11 July 2019, 19:18:39 »
I'd call it close enough to count.

Register