Author Topic: The *literally* Never-Seen  (Read 156877 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: The *literally* Never-Seen
« Reply #420 on: 11 July 2019, 20:53:18 »
Too bad they never made Record Sheet for it. Having triple Heavy PPC machine (aside from the Thug) of the Awesome would have been cool.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #421 on: 11 July 2019, 21:21:33 »
Hopefully that one has the clan DHS too

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #422 on: 11 July 2019, 21:43:45 »
Can be made without Clan DHS though it is a bit tight fit and requires a 240-LFE or endo-composite. Coolant pods might help, and if it is late enough (despite being mentioned in Jihad-era product), the Radical Heat Sink is an option.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #423 on: 11 July 2019, 21:53:18 »
Here one i found other night, i kept staring at until i realize there no mention in the fluff about it!

Clan Behemoth DropShip.  It's TRO: 3057 Revised (and the original) opening section for Clan DropShips, but the ship itself was never included. However we know some stuff about it because of the picture. Yes it's picture of it too.

« Last Edit: 11 July 2019, 21:55:02 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #424 on: 12 July 2019, 08:52:48 »
Ah, found something that hasn't been seen: The Awesome AWS-11H. But this depends on whether it exists: the XTRO Marik says "...rumored AWS-11H with three heavy PPCs".

took a look at the xtro entry

"Technicron had hoped these ’Mechs would be available for future prototype configurations (such as the rumored AWS-11H with three heavy PPCs)," would indicate to me that the -11M chassis would potentially be a base for other variants... but on the other hand you have to strip two tons of something to make weight once you swap the weapons so the thing would have to be reworked anyway. Whatever the case, a production variant probably wouldn't have the clan dhs
« Last Edit: 12 July 2019, 10:09:29 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #425 on: 12 July 2019, 10:04:34 »
I would have like to have seen normal equipment on AWS-11H.  But Alas it only actual rumor that's canon unless it pops up else where.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #426 on: 13 July 2019, 09:47:52 »
. . . you know its a Down Periscope joke?

Oh, I know. I just had to make my own creamed corn joke, because I am a monster.

I would have like to have seen normal equipment on AWS-11H.  But Alas it only actual rumor that's canon unless it pops up else where.

Fits the bill.

Here one i found other night, i kept staring at until i realize there no mention in the fluff about it!

Clan Behemoth DropShip.  It's TRO: 3057 Revised (and the original) opening section for Clan DropShips, but the ship itself was never included. However we know some stuff about it because of the picture. Yes it's picture of it too.

I....actually made one of these myself for my TRO:3099 project...but yes. This fits nicely. You can get a non-trivial ammount of extra cargo by switching to DHS as well.

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #427 on: 13 July 2019, 21:26:33 »
I read somewhere that some of the Clans emptied out the last of their caches. I think it was after the Wolf/Falcon War but I don't remember for sure. It was in reference to Invading Clans though.

I would think the less successful Clans would have already done so. If they hadn't been emptied before the Reevings they would be after.

Also isn't extinct mostly for purchasing and repair  purposes? As in you can't go down to the local Mech emporium and order an extinct unit. However that doesn't preclude, rare museum exibits, barn finds, periphery finds, miss labeled crates, etc. And if you some how obtained one keeping it running will be very difficult. Basically, as far as anyone knows its extinct but you really never know for sure.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #428 on: 13 July 2019, 21:47:42 »
Yeah, "extinct" generally is understood to mean "there are at most only a handful of this particular mech left" rather than the mech being absolutely 100% nonexistent.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #429 on: 13 July 2019, 21:53:50 »
No.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=47774.msg1478770#msg1478770

Extinct means no KNOWN examples. You might find one in a cache or your dad’s garage but it has to be buried treasure that no one knew about

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #430 on: 13 July 2019, 21:55:35 »
Would the "Iron Cheetah" count as a 'Never-Seen'. I remember hearing of that apocryphal 'Mech over a decade ago.

BYE

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #431 on: 13 July 2019, 21:58:00 »

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #432 on: 13 July 2019, 22:00:25 »
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.  :thumbsup:

BYE

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #433 on: 13 July 2019, 23:07:01 »
No.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=47774.msg1478770#msg1478770

Extinct means no KNOWN examples. You might find one in a cache or your dad’s garage but it has to be buried treasure that no one knew about

That's odd, given that designs like the Shogun have been declared extinct when there were known examples listed.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #434 on: 14 July 2019, 00:28:13 »
I read somewhere that some of the Clans emptied out the last of their caches. I think it was after the Wolf/Falcon War but I don't remember for sure. It was in reference to Invading Clans though.

I would think the less successful Clans would have already done so. If they hadn't been emptied before the Reevings they would be after.

Also isn't extinct mostly for purchasing and repair  purposes? As in you can't go down to the local Mech emporium and order an extinct unit. However that doesn't preclude, rare museum exibits, barn finds, periphery finds, miss labeled crates, etc. And if you some how obtained one keeping it running will be very difficult. Basically, as far as anyone knows its extinct but you really never know for sure.

Just speaking for myself. I am seriously doubting at this stage that the Clans either started with anything close to equal resource allocation or continued that way for long, with what they might have captured during the pentagon wars, captured after or absorbed. Some of them seem to have gotten VERY raw deals from the get-go.

I am pretty sure though that WOR laid out in print that most of the *known* caches were now mined out.
It’s a noncanon design

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=10808.0

Which raises an interested question for this thread.

As I understand it; the rights for the Iron Cheetah AND the Falcon Eryie have returned to their creators...presumably the same is true with other Mech Force designs.

Many BattleTechnology designs have been retro/re-canonized...but is there even a WAY to do that with other once or semi-official material? My intention with this thread is to create a list of reasonable things we might possibly see in print, at need. If there is no way, then why bother?

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #435 on: 25 July 2019, 21:47:57 »
Spector-class areofighter, Tukayyid scenario book, PG.87 Pryde's Pride Scenario.

Description of Pryde's abilities against Comstar forces : Smoke from the dropship exhaust combined with Tukayyid's tainted atmosphere, his keen knack of predicting his enemies movement and his superior targeting computer along with Kael Pershaw in the fighter.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #436 on: 25 July 2019, 21:55:13 »
Think it is Specter nowadays:
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5104/specter-surveillance-plane-standard

Undescribed aircraft Kael Pershaw used while surveying the Tukayyid battle. Aidan Pryde commented something about Pershaw being a ghost.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #437 on: 25 July 2019, 22:03:46 »
Also could be an early version of the Vandal E, just with the standard ER Smalls instead of Micros.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #438 on: 25 July 2019, 22:06:31 »
Think it is Specter nowadays:
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5104/specter-surveillance-plane-standard

Undescribed aircraft Kael Pershaw used while surveying the Tukayyid battle. Aidan Pryde commented something about Pershaw being a ghost.
There speculation. That its a clan converted of the Mosquito surveillance plane. I'm not sure if i read that on the older forums or i am misremembering entry in the revised version of TRO:VA for the plane.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #439 on: 26 July 2019, 08:36:51 »
TMp227 says "such as the Clan Spectre-class surveillance planes that reportedly overflew the battlefields on Tukayyid in 3052."
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #440 on: 26 July 2019, 09:13:43 »
It occurs to me that the Spectre might be done for Clan Watch and police work originally. And for finding bandits.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #441 on: 26 July 2019, 14:45:36 »
Did "drawing board only" stuff count?
FM FedSuns mentions "Durendal-class" destroyer (i think that should be spelled Durandal) that exists only on drawing board at that time.

Indeed, it seems that FedSuns/FedCom lacks a destroyer, having Fox corvettes, Avalon cruisers, and Mjolnir Battlecruiser or Battleship or whatever.

Sorry if this got mentioned already.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #442 on: 26 July 2019, 22:35:50 »
Just speaking for myself. I am seriously doubting at this stage that the Clans either started with anything close to equal resource allocation or continued that way for long, with what they might have captured during the pentagon wars, captured after or absorbed. Some of them seem to have gotten VERY raw deals from the get-go.

I am pretty sure though that WOR laid out in print that most of the *known* caches were now mined out.

I'm sure they didn't. They trialed over everything and some Clans were more successful than others. Some Clans also had more internal fighting than othets. All that leads a loss of material and a need for replacements. I'd be surprised if some Clans hadn't run their caches empty before the invasion.

I think WOR is where I read that.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #443 on: 28 July 2019, 09:39:59 »
FM FedSuns mentions "Durendal-class" destroyer (i think that should be spelled Durandal) that exists only on drawing board at that time.
Indeed, it seems that FedSuns/FedCom lacks a destroyer, having Fox corvettes, Avalon cruisers, and Mjolnir Battlecruiser or Battleship or whatever.
Sorry if this got mentioned already.
The Durandal was certainly Never-Seen, just like the Ventura-Class Light Cruiser that was sabotaged and blew up over Clipperton.    CGL's relentless drive to suppress and banish warship type unit eventually from the game beyond the Jihad/Dark Age.   I hate it myself.   

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #444 on: 28 July 2019, 13:42:40 »
The infantry pod carrying Fire Moth prototype.  With rules for the pods themselves.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #445 on: 29 July 2019, 09:44:53 »
FM FedSuns mentions "Durendal-class" destroyer ...

I think That one would yes.

The infantry pod carrying Fire Moth prototype.  With rules for the pods themselves.

No, but yes; because I want those rules.

A.E. Housman

AldanFerrox

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #446 on: 16 August 2019, 03:49:26 »
Found another warship class: The Delavan-class Cruiser build by the Federated Suns. Found in the section about the orbital bombardment of Novaya Zemlya by the Capellans in the year 2399 in the House Davion (The Federated Suns) book from 1988. Two of them engaged the enemy but were destroyed by Capellan escort vessels.
Only in death duty ends

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #447 on: 16 August 2019, 04:04:30 »
Pretty much everything mentioned in Turning Point: St. Ives.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #448 on: 16 August 2019, 04:37:28 »
As I understand it; the rights for the Iron Cheetah AND the Falcon Eryie have returned to their creators...presumably the same is true with other Mech Force designs.

Probably not. Under most situations, the creator cedes all rights to the person using it.

Eg. CGL folds now, any material I ever contributed does not revert to me, ever.

It's entirely possible that MFNA wasn't professional enough to have such an agreement with contributors. But I wouldn't bet on it. The problems are finding who might control the rights now, but it's still not legal to use those things without permission from the (potentially legendary) rights-holder.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #449 on: 16 August 2019, 08:20:32 »
Found another warship class: The Delavan-class Cruiser build by the Federated Suns. Found in the section about the orbital bombardment of Novaya Zemlya by the Capellans in the year 2399 in the House Davion (The Federated Suns) book from 1988. Two of them engaged the enemy but were destroyed by Capellan escort vessels.

Good one!!

A.E. Housman