Author Topic: Rations  (Read 5509 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Rations
« on: 04 July 2019, 15:34:36 »
Looking in AToW, it appears the only rations available are Tech Level C.  Obviously, there are such things available at both lower and higher Tech Levels.  Below is my swag at what those would be.  Of note, until you get to Tech Level D, water is a completely separate requirement, and comes in at about 2 kg (2 liters) per day.  AToW doesn't say these are daily rations (vice per meal), but that's my assumption.

Code: [Select]
TL     EQ. RATINGS  COST MASS NOTES
A Rats  A/A-A-A/A   0.5  3 kg Goes bad after 2 years, 5 years if in cold storage.  19th century canned rations.
B Rats  B/A-A-A/A    1   2 kg Good for 3 years, 5 if in cold storage.  21st century MREs.  Plastic pouches replace tin cans.
C Rats  C/A-A-A/A    2   1 kg Standard AToW Rations.  Will keep for 10 years, 20 if in cold storage.  Mercenaries prefer these due to cost.
D Rats  D/A-B-B/A    5   1 kg Generally available to House militaries.  Good for 25 years, 50 in cold storage.  Reduce water requirements to 1.75 kg per day.
E Rats  E/B-D-C/A   10   1 kg Star League Rations.  Still good after all these years!  And reduce water requirements to 1.5 kg per day.
F Rats  F/X-X-D/A   20   1 kg Clan Rations.  Also reduce water requirements to 1.25 kg per day.  Not even Elementals like this pasty concoction.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Rations
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2019, 20:03:40 »
I like this.

One of the other PCs in my periphery bandit kingdoms campaign ran a cannery on a planet with giant voracious whale like creatures that had to be hunted with Shilones because they ate the fishing boats. Their salted meat mostly kept as rations for a while except if it had a common parasite that introduced a chemical toxic to humans. Being the unscrupulous bastard he was, his solution was to include a PH testing strip with every can rather than not sell the bad meat. The parasite chemical reacted with the canning oil and crated a strong basic solution... but the stuff smelled so bad at baseline you couldn’t always tell it was contaminated. Of course it was cheap and was the default ration of the region. You had to roll 11+ on a d20 every time you opened a can or bad things happened.

Your proposal is much more sane  :))

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2019, 20:07:23 »
A) That's HILARIOUS!  ;D

B) Glad to know I'm more sane than that...  ^-^
« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 12:18:54 by Daryk »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2023, 18:10:39 »
Here's Natick knocking on the lower limits of TL C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSUWu37dt4

This guy is a true hero, actually eating almost the entire ration (less only the other 400mg of caffeine, in three meals as designed) and obviously LIKING it! :thumbsup:

Seriously... watching this video made me HUNGRY!  :D

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2023, 21:57:46 »
wow that didn't look bad

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2023, 03:19:48 »
He's done a bunch of other videos in the same vein, but I think this one is the most advanced so far.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2023, 03:51:20 »
Three words: civil war hardtack
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2023, 06:43:36 »
Love it. In my imagination, Elementals basically are raised on protein powder and high calorie sludge. So if those guys look down on a standard rations...
Jude Melancon lives!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2023, 11:59:53 »
Love it. In my imagination, Elementals basically are raised on protein powder and high calorie sludge. So if those guys look down on a standard rations...
Well the other idea I have had is that the Clan's basicly used "Farm Boy" genetics, I think one of the strongest SOB I have met was a farm boy, he used to tote around 200+lbs without an issue.  But his shape was "a shape" not super buff
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2023, 18:14:53 »
Three words: civil war hardtack
TL A Rations cover that I think...  8)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2023, 19:04:12 »
TL A Rations cover that I think...  8)

Right.  Though I was meaning more when Steve1989MREInfo tried one.

"It smells like old mothballs and, like, library books."
"It tastes exactly like it smells."

But, yeah, that's one good video if you want to see what TL A rations look like, along with this one from Tasting History, and its follow-up.

Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that the rations you eat aboard a DropShip or JumpShip may be appreciably different from the ones you eat out in the field.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2023, 19:42:24 »
Nice video Gio, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2023, 20:21:34 »
MRE: Meal Rejected by Elements.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2023, 20:22:42 »
I covered that in the first post... ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2023, 18:35:29 »
Three more links courtesy of my wife, who used to be a Soldier:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/natick-lab-military-food-science

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/military-food-inventions

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/nasa-space-food-chew-swallow

Warning: that first one has a plethora of links to other relevant stories!  :thumbsup:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2023, 18:56:15 »

Warning: that first one has a plethora of links to other relevant stories!  :thumbsup:
Very interesting
I knew most of military food inventions, but the air fryer

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2023, 19:00:00 »

If you're of a certain age, say, Millenial or Gen-X, then the pictured MRE pizza does, in fact, taste exactly like the school lunch pizzas you remember.  Whether that's good or bad I leave to the reader.  They're available on the civilian market, right down to the camping section at WalMart, which is where I got one of mine.

I miss Spam.  My doctors would have a fit if I ate it these days with my sodium issues.  But yeah, given its shelf life, you probably still see SLDF ration pack Spam getting eaten during the Clan invasion.

I'll be honest, the "space cheeseburger" in the last link could use less ketchup and mustard (and are those pickled onions under the regular onions?), but otherwise looks pretty tasty.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2023, 19:39:57 »
If you're of a certain age, say, Millenial or Gen-X, then the pictured MRE pizza does, in fact, taste exactly like the school lunch pizzas you remember.  Whether that's good or bad I leave to the reader.  They're available on the civilian market, right down to the camping section at WalMart, which is where I got one of mine.
so it is Pizza then... 

I miss Spam.  My doctors would have a fit if I ate it these days with my sodium issues.  But yeah, given its shelf life, you probably still see SLDF ration pack Spam getting eaten during the Clan invasion.
They do have a low sodium option now..  :thumbsup:
and yes it has a long shelf life

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2023, 20:01:51 »
One of the scientists in the first article was quite proud about adding NO preservatives to anything...  ^-^

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2023, 20:14:52 »
so it is Pizza then... 

For certain values of "pizza".

They do have a low sodium option now..  :thumbsup:
and yes it has a long shelf life

Per the FDA labeling guides:
"Low Sodium" foods are defined as foods that are 140 mg or less per serving.
"Very Low Sodium" foods are 35 mg or less per serving.
"Reduced Sodium" or "Less Sodium" means they've cut 25% of the sodium compared to the standard food product.
"Light in Sodium" or "Lightly Salted" means they've cut 50% of the sodium in the standard food product.
"No Salt Added" or "Unsalted" means they haven't added salt, but you still need to check if the food item in question has any sodium or not.  Sometimes it doesn't have any, but that's not always the case.

"Less Sodium" Spam, then, still has 580 mg per 2 ounce serving, and a single can is 12 ounces.  It's a 25% reduction, sure, but a 25% reduction in a 10 kiloton sodium explosion still leaves 7.5 kilotons behind.

And be careful thinking a single-serving packet of Spam Lite is the way to go: their serving size ends up being a bit larger, so you get 610 mg of sodium (Spam Lite and Less Sodium Spam have the same sodium content).  Your best bet for Spam is actually to watch your intake of Turkey Spam, which is 520 mg per serving.

Note the recommended daily value for sodium is around 2300 mg.  For some of us, though, that's a bit lower - I try, and usually fail, to do between 1200 and 1700 mg/day.

Keeping it on-topic, lower or reduced-sodium MREs are a thing, by the way.  Your mileage may vary heavily in turns of taste, though.  The cheese tortellini and beef ravioli I don't recall as being bad (they're basically knockoff Chef Boyardee with less sodium), and I'm interested in finding their chili mac.  I think I didn't get to the veggie lasagna one, but it didn't sound particularly appetizing, and IIRC I tossed it after finding one of the seals busted near the end of it's recommended shelf life.  I suspect the same YMMV is true for other specialty diet MREs.

That reminds me...I should stock up before fire season.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2023, 07:05:48 »
I'm pretty sure I'm still digesting MREs I ate in 1993 at Ft. Knox.  But I will give those Star League ones a go!
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 18 July 2023, 19:15:28 »
So does anyone have any idea what Rations are like for a Clan Elemental?
based on this An excellent Interview with Brett Evans

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #22 on: 18 July 2023, 20:44:02 »
So does anyone have any idea what Rations are like for a Clan Elemental?
based on this An excellent Interview with Brett Evans

Well when he was still huge, Hafthor Bjornsson, a.k.a. The Mountain, consumed 10,000 calories a day.

I would imagine Elemental meals are similar. Maybe even available via a paste inside their suits.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 18 July 2023, 20:48:44 »
In the OP, I described their rations as a "pasty concoction"... :)

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #24 on: 18 July 2023, 20:51:27 »
In the OP, I described their rations as a "pasty concoction"... :)

I imagine they don't enjoy it. Just part of their day. A box to check off.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 18 July 2023, 20:53:40 »
Also, I absolutely watched that video about Brian Shaw on 12,000 calories before I made this thread... ;)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2023, 10:32:03 »
I'm assuming standard Rations have a concentration of vitamins, minerals and electrolytes mixed into the protein based vegetarian "meat" product? A drink powder, fortified with more vitamins, minerals and dry electrolytes, that is awful to wash down and a dry ass desert carbo clustered cookie cracker that tastes like sawdust, which in hindsight is way the Focht better, both in nutritional and taste value?

Maybe some type of fruit paste that looks like toothpaste in a tube spread?

Did I just quoted the '80s meal, ready eat menu?  :shocked:

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 10 September 2023, 10:40:29 »
Very close on standard rations.  The paste in a tube is for the clanners... ;)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #28 on: 10 September 2023, 11:02:10 »
Well, a bigger one at least. :wink:

My question is do they eat it like a paste filled protein cracker like my favorite?

Strawberry T/P

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 10 September 2023, 11:13:43 »
I think they take it directly from the tube... ;D