Author Topic: 3145 tech in AS  (Read 2075 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
3145 tech in AS
« on: 26 December 2013, 16:51:18 »
Has anyone seen rules, official or otherwise, that cover the 3145 technologies absent from the Alpha Strike book, such as TSEMP, REL, BRA, etc?

Most of them seem fairly straightforward enough to translate, but there's always room for interpretation.

REL (Re-engineered Lasers) should obviously ignore the RFA trait.  But what about hardened and lamellar, which are represented mainly in the dots for Armor?  I'd imagine REL should ignore both RFA and CR, and call the rest of its effect in TW a loss in translation.

Likewise BRA (Ballistic Reinforced Armor) can have several schools of thought.  Is it worth anything if it only applies when hit by AC/FLAK attacks?  Is it too good if it's applied to everything that's not Physical, ENE, LRM, SRM, or AoE?  However it's determined when the BRA reduces damage , should that application be half damage or -1 damage?

TSEMP seems fairly straightforward, but it too has implications in adapting.  Can it still only fire every other turn, given AS turns are of deliberately-fuzzy length? (I'd assume yes, if only from a game balance perspective on a shut-you-down weapon)  What are the implications on heat.. can a TSEMP unit fire its regular weapons AND the TSEMP(s) w/o overheating?  The TSEMPs are super pricey in BV, which makes them super pricey in AS, too.  Depending on how they're adapted, TSEMP-armed units run the risk of being way better or worse than their AS value should fairly indicate.

Etc.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2013, 16:54:49 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 3145 tech in AS
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2013, 16:53:19 »
Hooray for double posts.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2013, 22:53:52 »
I have.  But I'm afraid I don't count.  ;)

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2013, 00:16:44 »
I've given this topic a great deal of thought. I eagerly await official rules but when I get home I'll post my thoughts on some of these. For now I suppose theory is all we have...
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2013, 15:48:05 »
A few theories I have:

BRA: I would think it similar to RCA but with the added bonus of figuring in AC specials for damage reduction as well.

REL: I'm with Tai Dai Cultist for the most part. However, I'd add a +1 to damage against any unit with CR.

RHS: I'm really surprised this got a special; I'd think it would work just as well as MASC\superchargers but for heat dissipation. Perhaps assume the system will be used every other turn? That said my current idea for RHS is that it allows a unit to remove 2 points of heat but stops working on a roll of 2.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Register