Author Topic: The (Third) SLDF Regular Army  (Read 7310 times)

Nerroth

• Captain
The (Third) SLDF Regular Army
« on: 11 December 2023, 12:46:45 »
I wasn't sure whether to post this here, in the Inner Sphere sub-board, or in the Clan sub-board. Or to wait a little longer before the book in which it was mentioned passed its Moratorium phase. So apologies in advance if any of the above are an issue.

In the 3250 blurb from Technical Readout: Dark Age - as can be read in the sample PDF over on the TRO:DA product page on DriveThruRPG - there is, or at least is going to be, an "SLDF Regular Army", which apparently serves alongside the touman of each Clan which is a part of the new Star League Defense Forces. Notably, Gunslingers are drawn from both Clan and Regular Army ranks - a deliberate echo of the recruitment of Knights from the various branches of the former Republic Armed Forces.

Of course, there is much we don't yet know about this supposed Regular Army. Does it use Inner Sphere regiments or Clan Galaxies? Is it comprised of Inner Sphere freeborns, Clan Trueborns, or a mixture of the two? Exactly which sources of equipment and personnel does it draw from? And, indeed, is it something which we might expect to see added to the "present-day" BattleTech universe sooner rather than later?

On the one hand, there is a precedent for a Clan to keep armed forces in Inner Sphere regimental organizations under its control: see the former Outworlds Alliance aerospace forces used to backstop the front-line Clan Snow Raven touman, over in the Raven Alliance. But on the other hand, other Clans, such as the Ghost Bears or Goliath Scorpions, each prefer to integrate such recruits more directly into their respective touman, using Clan Cluster and Trinary force organizations.

Also, one might say that the Raven example is a sign of weakness, rather than strength: with the demands of a large WarShip fleet, they have room for only four Galaxies, obliging them to leave the Alliance regiments more or less intact - to include the provision of hand-me-down Clan aerospace fighters, which in turn helps make the AMC the most powerful force of its kind in known space outside of Clan Snow Raven itself.

To which I might answer: compared to whom? While we wait to see what IlKhan's Eyes Only has in store for Terra and its immediate environs through to June 3152, the Wolves - plus their attendant Jade Falcon and Smoke Jaguar forces - are quite short-handed at last reporting. While there are more than a few WarShips in the Sol system to potentially deter Capellan attack once the last Fortress wall finally breaks down, any ground-based actions against the CCAF (and against everyone else now within one jump of Terra) might need more than a year's worth of recruitment within each Clan proper might provide.

So, I might wonder if the new SLDF Commanding General might take it upon herself to start offering the ex-RAF soldiers on Terra a new deal: rather than sign up to ilClan Wolf and be obliged to adopt the Clan way of life (a source which has well and truly dried up by the end of the IlClan Trial), sign up instead to serve in an Inner Sphere-style Regular Army, through which they can stake a claim to relevance in the new Star League... or, at least, to help keep Daoshen Liao as far away from Terra as possible.

Would the new First Lord agree to any of this? Or to put it another way, would be be in any sort of position not to do so?

-----

Of course, parsec-ages might vary.

Do any of you have your own thoughts on what a supposed Star League Regular Army might look like in the IlClan Era?

And do you think we might see it - and the first new Gunslingers - appear in the not-too-distant future, or should it be one of the things we ought not to expect any time soon?
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 13:59:33 by Nerroth »

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Re: The (Third) SLDF Regular Army
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2023, 13:38:04 »
And, indeed, is it something which we might expect to see added to the "present-day" BattleTech universe sooner rather than later?

Sooner.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2023, 14:04:09 »
So, I might wonder if the new SLDF Commanding General might take it upon herself to start offering the ex-RAF soldiers on Terra a new deal: rather than sign up to ilClan Wolf and be obliged to adopt the Clan way of life (a source which has well and truly dried up by the end of the IlClan Trial), sign up instead to serve in an Inner Sphere-style Regular Army, through which they can stake a claim to relevance in the new Star League... or, at least, to help keep Daoshen Liao as far away from Terra as possible.

Would the new First Lord agree to any of this? Or to put it another way, would be be in any sort of position not to do so?

-----

Of course, parsec-ages might vary.

Do any of you have your own thoughts on what a supposed Star League Regular Army might look like in the IlClan Era?

And do you think we might see it - and the first new Gunslingers - appear in the not-too-distant future, or should it be one of the things we ought not to expect any time soon?

That’s the thing. Alaric and the wolves don’t represent anything RAF troops desired. The Republic’s goal was peace. Not a Star league. Not one ruler of the sphere. Just peace. If the goal of the RotS was a Star league, Stone would’ve founded one. Alaric come June 3152 has also promised an era of blood and fire as he intends to subjugate by any means the rest of the sphere until it answers to him.

That doesn’t include that Alaric slaughtered their comrades, ordered attacks on their civilians, brought Malvina the butcher to Terra, destroyed their nation, murdered their founding father, and silenced their cultural dreams. Why would they follow him?

I have no idea where Alaric is going to find a “Regular Star League Army,” but unless the devs want to take a shit in what’s left of the RotS and it’s characterization, it won’t be the RAF troops. I’d rather not be so abrupt, but there is no source of troops for the ilClan sources in the short term. They have no sibkos and Terra was stripped bare of fighting troops to oppose them. Whatever they have right is it.

If I had to guess, in the near future, Wolf troops are the ilClan forces and the Falcons, Jags, Ravens, and Foxes are the regular Star League army. Maybe decades from now when it’s an actual league, there could be a meaningful distinction.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2023, 14:14:22 »
Yeah why would the population of Terra turn around and acknowledge a new conquerer shortly after a vicious and bloody planetwide conflict, a thing that has only happened three or four times before.

It's easy to forget, but that was also the Republic once. The population of Terra by and large did just fine under the Word of Blake, with the only major disruptions being when Terra was attacked by "the good guys".
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2023, 14:32:48 »
Sooner.

Sooner or less soon than a bread box?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2023, 15:14:14 »
Alaric appointed Anastasia Kerensky to be Commanding General of the Star League Defense Force at the end of Hour of the Wolf.  The new SLDF already exists, though it may only have one member for the moment.  That was April 3151, though.  I suspect she’s been busy recruiting.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2023, 15:17:48 »
Sooner or less soon than a bread box?

It might mold sooner in a bread box

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2023, 15:37:11 »
Yeah why would the population of Terra turn around and acknowledge a new conquerer shortly after a vicious and bloody planetwide conflict, a thing that has only happened three or four times before.

It's easy to forget, but that was also the Republic once. The population of Terra by and large did just fine under the Word of Blake, with the only major disruptions being when Terra was attacked by "the good guys".

Flip the question. Why would Alaric and the wolves change their tune? We already saw in Shrapnel the wolf attitude that if the RAF troops wouldn’t drink the bondcord juice and joint them to fight Malvina, they didn’t want them.

We saw RAF troops mostly think of the ones who joined the wolves as traitors.

Yes, both are limited glimpses, but it’s also the only thing we have to work with so far.

EDIT: to be clear. Wolves will eventually be able to get reinforcements from Terra. Once they convert the war colleges and training centers to pump wolf propaganda, once they figure out effective propaganda for the civilian populations. Once the population of Terra is broken enough to realize this is their future and there’s no changing it. But not in a timeframe to matter in ilKEO. That’s too much bondcord juice chugging again in order to reward the wolves for plot armor.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 15:47:29 by Church14 »

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2023, 18:27:28 »
Never underestimate how much a Clan Wolf story will disappoint you. I thought it wouldn't be Clan Wolf jumping into the Terran system because the way the cliffhanger was placed in SF meant that having the answer to "who's the Clan fleet?" be "Clan Wolf" was a failure of basic dramatic structure.

Based on everything I've been shown for the past several years, the Terrans will instantly swear their allegiance to Alaric just because he's so special.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2023, 19:48:53 »
Never underestimate how much a Clan Wolf story will disappoint you.
It is a Battletech proverb.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 19:50:55 by Minemech »

Prometheum5

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2023, 19:53:21 »
I'm way into seeing more details on the Clan Star League. A new SDLF regular army could be a great quick scheme to knock out extra 'Mech minis.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2023, 20:07:39 »
Never underestimate how much a Clan Wolf story will disappoint you. I thought it wouldn't be Clan Wolf jumping into the Terran system because the way the cliffhanger was placed in SF meant that having the answer to "who's the Clan fleet?" be "Clan Wolf" was a failure of basic dramatic structure.

Based on everything I've been shown for the past several years, the Terrans will instantly swear their allegiance to Alaric just because he's so special.

What I'm really "looking forward to" is seeing how other factions are character assassinated now that Malvina is no longer around to make Alaric winning seem like the lesser of two evils.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2023, 20:13:02 »
Flip the question. Why would Alaric and the wolves change their tune? We already saw in Shrapnel the wolf attitude that if the RAF troops wouldn’t drink the bondcord juice and joint them to fight Malvina, they didn’t want them.

We saw RAF troops mostly think of the ones who joined the wolves as traitors.

Yes, both are limited glimpses, but it’s also the only thing we have to work with so far.

EDIT: to be clear. Wolves will eventually be able to get reinforcements from Terra. Once they convert the war colleges and training centers to pump wolf propaganda, once they figure out effective propaganda for the civilian populations. Once the population of Terra is broken enough to realize this is their future and there’s no changing it. But not in a timeframe to matter in ilKEO. That’s too much bondcord juice chugging again in order to reward the wolves for plot armor.

My prediction is that, much like the original SLDF, members will be drawn from all member parties.  In the short term, this means a small (very small) contingent from the Falcons and Jaguars, plus a larger contingent from the Wolves, and a small contingent of former RAF and local recruits.

The justification for the later I feel like I would put money on being "being SLDF does not make you part of the ilClan" and that Alaric is going to have magically meant that all along the moment the first setback happens that threatens his position in any way.   To be clear, I am suggesting this is in-setting cynicism on Alaric's part, not OOC synicism to circumvent a narrative thornbush.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2023, 20:24:17 »
What I'm really "looking forward to" is seeing how other factions are character assassinated now that Malvina is no longer around to make Alaric winning seem like the lesser of two evils.
Some fans have already shied away from Nikol Marik for performance in recent writing. I am not one of them yet.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2023, 20:31:41 »

That's been pre-staged, the Cappies are the first pasteboard targets and their leader is already mentally unstable and doing irrational things.

It's pretty much going to be a distribution of bonko juice/stupidity after that.  Julian will either face/heel turn and start kicking puppies, or be removed by the other guy, or drink up the bondcord Koolaid to keep the other guy from taking over.

The odds are strong that Nicole Marik will start a habit of eating live pupplies and bathing in baby's blood, along with going insane and doing stupid things too...or she'll be replaced by someone who is.

Trillian will submit because she's  a Lyran, and Alaric is SOO handsome.

Yori's going to be assassinated by a psychopath that 'must be stopped' of course, or imprisoned until Alaric can heroically add her to his informal harem...or she'll take up devouring virgins to make her skin smoother, and so on.

and of course, the Terrans will fall meekly in line and love their overlord.  He is, after all, Alaric (Steiner Davion) Ward, Khan of the (author self insert) Wolves.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 20:36:30 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2023, 20:39:06 »
The Fan Fiction board is south of here.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2023, 22:07:44 »
My prediction is that, much like the original SLDF, members will be drawn from all member parties.  In the short term, this means a small (very small) contingent from the Falcons and Jaguars, plus a larger contingent from the Wolves, and a small contingent of former RAF and local recruits.

The justification for the later I feel like I would put money on being "being SLDF does not make you part of the ilClan" and that Alaric is going to have magically meant that all along the moment the first setback happens that threatens his position in any way.   To be clear, I am suggesting this is in-setting cynicism on Alaric's part, not OOC synicism to circumvent a narrative thornbush.

Ah. I can follow the in universe cynicism bit

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 12 December 2023, 01:18:57 »
Ah. I can follow the in universe cynicism bit

well, it WILL be (is) an army of traitors, after all.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2023, 01:45:25 »
Alaric appointed Anastasia Kerensky to be Commanding General of the Star League Defense Force at the end of Hour of the Wolf.  The new SLDF already exists, though it may only have one member for the moment.  That was April 3151, though.  I suspect she’s been busy recruiting.

I really hope the writers leverage Anastasia Kerensky's experiences (everything from her time spent as Tassa Kay during the early Blackout to forming the Wolf Hunters) into her new role as the SLDF Commanding General. Of all of Alaric's inner circle, she's had the most practical experience with just about every faction and situation the Inner Sphere has to offer, and could really bring a lot into the role.

I thought it wouldn't be Clan Wolf jumping into the Terran system because the way the cliffhanger was placed in SF meant that having the answer to "who's the Clan fleet?" be "Clan Wolf" was a failure of basic dramatic structure.

I knew the odds were practically nil, but I still hoped for that cliffhanger Clan fleet arrival to be Clan Star Adder and Friends.

I'm way into seeing more details on the Clan Star League. A new SDLF regular army could be a great quick scheme to knock out extra 'Mech minis.

Cubby posted in some thread recently a picture of his Third Star League SLDF minis. IIRC, it's more or less the same olive of the original SLDF.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2023, 11:14:19 »
It might be something like the original SLDF's split between Regular and Royal units. Former Clan units are the new Royals, for example.

But given how complimentary Alaric was to the Jade Falcons who survived Terra, I think you may see a Royal Black Watch Cluster.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 12 December 2023, 11:48:25 »
Sooner.

Sooner, then!

Might that also mean the first new Gunslingers aren't too far behind?

-----

On another topic, if the new Regular Army were to follow Inner Sphere regimental lines, perhaps that might offer a way forward for worlds like Northwind.

Consider: as of the fiction story in the Alpha Strike Boxed Set, the surviving Highlanders continue to be ill disposed towards the Jade Falcons per late 3151, due to the whole Tara Campbell thing. So while individual MechWarriors continue to be taken as bondsmen, the Highlanders at large are in no hurry to adopt the Clan way of life.

And yet, with... something happening on Caph involving the Jade Falcons and the Capellans, and with the CCAF still too close to Northwind for comfort, the Highlanders aren't exactly flush with viable options either.

So, say if both MechWarrior Tara and Commanding General Anastasia Kerensky were to show up on Northwind at some point prior to June 3152 with a new option: permit the planet to continue to be run internally as it sees fit, while the Highlanders sign up to serve in the newly-minted Regular Army. And get Sea Fox help in rebuilding their HPG, to boot. Perhaps with a recruiting station for anyone who wishes to Trial for a position in the new Jade Falcon Black Watch.

The Highlanders, by my recollection, served in both prior SLDFs in some capacity or another. So long as they can still do so as Spheroids, rather than as Clanners, why not make it three for three?
« Last Edit: 12 December 2023, 11:52:50 by Nerroth »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 12 December 2023, 11:50:51 »
And as someone else mentioned in another thread:  how does the end of Dominions Divided fit in?  Another Periphery/Draconis March world falls to the Raven Alliance, but the Davion Leftenant says they were all wearing the Cameron Star.  Does that mean that Alaric already has Raven Alliance forces fighting under the SLDF flag?

More likely, some Ravens have sewn on the SLDF patch under the Raven Alliance stuff, but it just leads to more questions. 

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2023, 11:59:23 »
Perhaps, in the case of the Raven Alliance, one could split the difference: the ground-based Galaxies would be treated as "Royal" forces; the WarShip fleet as part of the new SLDF navy; while the AMC regiments would be grandfathered into the new Regular Army.

Unless the Outworlds side of the Alliance takes exception to this, perhaps...

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2023, 12:46:57 »
Sooner, then!

Might that also mean the first new Gunslingers aren't too far behind?

-----

On another topic, if the new Regular Army were to follow Inner Sphere regimental lines, perhaps that might offer a way forward for worlds like Northwind.

Consider: as of the fiction story in the Alpha Strike Boxed Set, the surviving Highlanders continue to be ill disposed towards the Jade Falcons per late 3151, due to the whole Tara Campbell thing. So while individual MechWarriors continue to be taken as bondsmen, the Highlanders at large are in no hurry to adopt the Clan way of life.

And yet, with... something happening on Caph involving the Jade Falcons and the Capellans, and with the CCAF still too close to Northwind for comfort, the Highlanders aren't exactly flush with viable options either.

So, say if both MechWarrior Tara and Commanding General Anastasia Kerensky were to show up on Northwind at some point prior to June 3152 with a new option: permit the planet to continue to be run internally as it sees fit, while the Highlanders sign up to serve in the newly-minted Regular Army. And get Sea Fox help in rebuilding their HPG, to boot. Perhaps with a recruiting station for anyone who wishes to Trial for a position in the new Jade Falcon Black Watch.

The Highlanders, by my recollection, served in both prior SLDFs in some capacity or another. So long as they can still do so as Spheroids, rather than as Clanners, why not make it three for three?

The NWH has already thrown in with Duke Hansen, the Roughriders and, by extension, the Federated Suns. It's in Shrapnel 11. Tara's cousin has ousted her as Countess of Northwind as well.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #24 on: 12 December 2023, 12:55:26 »
Besides, the only thing worse than Tara showing up on Northwind right now would be to show up at the side of Anastasia Kerensky, whom Northwind reviles for the actions she committed during her time leading the Steel Wolves.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 12 December 2023, 13:12:29 »
And yet, as of June 3152, Tybalt is still on the wrong side of Confederation- and Combine-held space from Northwind. If either the CCAF or DCMS - or, indeed, both of them - decide to take a serious look at Northwind once again, there might not be much the Roughriders, or anyone else in the Federated Suns, could do about it. Not least since the Roughriders, unlike the Highlanders, need more time to recover from the fighting on Terra.

Although, I suppose if Julian were to recognize Alaric as First Lord (and, in so doing, transfer the title of Duke of New Avalon), I suppose the newly-formed connection to Tybalt would still be extent, albeit in a more roundabout manner...

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #26 on: 12 December 2023, 13:39:46 »

I thought all the 3250 blurbs had been disowned.  Might still be an ilClan Era SLDF, but it won’t necessarily resemble any details from the 3250 blurbs.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 12 December 2023, 14:04:25 »

My impression so far is that if Tara and Anastasia show up on Northwind with anything less than every surviving Falcon and then some, all Alaric is getting back is caskets. Remember that NWH are also mostly RAF troops. They just absorbed XII Hastati.

And Alaric, for a long time, simply won’t have the people to take northwind. He has to keep a large force on Terra while defending against as many Capellan regiments as he has clusters, if not more.

Out of universe, it’s also narratively lazy and supremely boring to see everyone simply fold to the wolves and chug bondcord juice to put the wolves even further on top.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #28 on: 12 December 2023, 19:05:54 »
I'm not saying that the HGNs will join the 3SLDF, and I'm not saying they won't join, but I do know this: The Highlanders have always done whatever they need to in order to preserve the Northwind they know and love.

Only time and sourcebooks will tell what exactly this will require of them.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 12 December 2023, 19:40:39 »
I know no one likes my position, but I'm betting Daoshen's hatred for the Republic doesn't transfer to the wolves. I think a wolf-capellan alliance is strongly in both their interest.

Register