Author Topic: The Oberon Conference (1st Argyle Rangers) - FINISHED!  (Read 3642 times)

primalucem

• Corporal
The Oberon Conference: for the Oberon Confederation, a grab for legitimacy. For the Inner Sphere powers, a chance to pull the Confederation into their orbit, to gain allies, to make enemies, and perhaps settle scores. On green Placidia's capitol of New Water, dignitaries from the various powers and parties drink imported champagne and play their subtle games at the palace. Outside of the capitol, where the temporary non-aggression pact does not apply, battlemechs play their own games. Rumors of an unlikely cache of lostech somewhere on the planet sends mechs scrambling out into the countryside, while the diplomats smile and pretend nothing is happening. 

This is a short, three game campaign written up by my buddy Fritz. We'll both be probably posting our battle reports (from our force's perspective of course) as we play.  I'm playing the heroic 1st Argyle Rangers (Davion), while Fritz is playing the villainous mercenary company, the Dogs of War.

Part 1:
http://drewtheirplansagainstus.blogspot.com/2016/05/oberon-conference-part-i.html

UPDATES POSTED BELOW
« Last Edit: 23 May 2016, 12:57:00 by primalucem »

Fritz

• Recruit
    • Wargamer Fritz
Re: The Oberon Conference (short campaign)
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2016, 12:46:40 »
As suspected the Davion victory was in no small part in stealing our mech to mech communication frequencies.

While the Dogs of War applaud the initiative in picking up some more credits on the side, we can’t overlook loyalty to the company and the communications officer will no longer be working with us.

As a matter of fact, he has decided to take a sudden and long trip far away to pursue other employment opportunities and we wish him well…
My Battletech tactics & podcasts: http://www.wargamerfritz.com

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2016, 09:19:01 »
Good to see you get your own back on them.

:)

primalucem

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2016, 09:41:48 »
Part 2: http://drewtheirplansagainstus.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-oberon-conference-part-ii.html

With the capitol city of New Water in a tizzy over the losttech, the 1st Argyle Rangers scan the countryside in search of more. Once again they make contact with the Dogs of War mercenary company, this time hoping to learn who hired them, and to eliminate the threat they pose.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
Re: The Oberon Conference (1st Argyle Rangers)
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2016, 23:52:48 »
a great report and story. 

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2016, 04:35:32 »
Based on the habit you have of charging into close combat.  Maybe take the Jenner back. And just be sure to get a +4 when you make a run on the opposition.

Interesting  fight.  Great report

primalucem

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2016, 08:31:23 »
Haha, Markhall, that's not my habit, but my opponent's.  In the end, it amounts to the same thing though, doesn't it? I've found that movement in Battletech (at least with heavies) makes it hard to withdraw from battle if your opponent insists on fighting hard.

As for which mech, it will come down to math I think. Both have some internal damage, and I have to see which is cheaper to repair. I'd probably prefer the Jenner myself, but I know there were some engine hits, etc, a leg actuator, etc, that might make the Crab the cheaper choice. I can spend my fame points for extra scrap, but I kind of want to run up the score for bragging rights.

It's what Captain Laval would do.  ;)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2016, 11:02:42 »
Haha, Markhall, that's not my habit, but my opponent's. 
Oh sure blame the other guys now that's he dead and can't tell his side.

Crab is good mech and has the movment to keep the opposition at range while laying down the hurt if its the standard Large laser one.

Was glad to see you held off with the fighter till it had support. That was a Valuable lesson learned from the conventional game.  And Mugging the rear Commando with it was priceless. And a great example on how to use a fighter for strike attacks.

primalucem

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2016, 14:16:29 »
Dead men tell no tales!

Looking over my sheets, I realize I'd forgotten how messed up my Grasshopper is, so I'll have to repair that first.  Then the question comes whether to spend my "fame points" to bring another mech back, or run up the score... bring a mech back for a sure thing or increased bragging rights... choices, choices...

If I do bring something back, it will be the Crab, as the Jenner has far more critical hit areas destroyed (foot actuator, hip actuator and two engine hits) vs just the 2 gyro hits on the Crab.

Mapmaster

• Warrant Officer
  • You're going to need a bigger table
    • Mapmaster Battlemaps
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2016, 18:47:42 »
love it! where's part III?

primalucem

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2016, 19:11:35 »
Thanks! The game was played, and I'm working on the report. I'll have it up by Monday. Stay tuned!

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2016, 07:00:29 »
You better have put the filth into the ground where they belong!

primalucem

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2016, 09:50:25 »
Markhall, I most certainly did.

Here it is, the conclusion of the short campaign.  Part III: The Duel  - http://drewtheirplansagainstus.blogspot.com/2016/05/oberon-conference-part-i.html

A perfect ending to my first Battletech campaign.  We're going to continue the story of the 1st Argyle Rangers and the Dogs of War in some further mini-campaigns, possibly using the Chaos campaign model (although with custom missions), if we can modify it for 2 players without a GM.  Ideas on that are very welcome.

Register